• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

Keeping toddlers entertained can be a challenging task, especially when maintaining good behavior.

Here are some of my go-to strategies that work well for my little ones:

1. Tantrum Tamer: When my kiddo starts to meltdown, I give him a sneak peek of what's to come next. Shifting their focus from the current situation to an exciting upcoming activity can help distract them and stop the tears. I'll whisper hints like, "We're about to leave the playground, but we've got a fun surprise stop on the way home!" It helps them refocus and keeps the peace.

2. Manner Matters: My boy picks up manners quickly when they're presented as a game or a fun challenge. For instance, I'll introduce a "Magic Manners Word" of the week and explain how they can cast a spell on adults by using it. It could be simple things like saying "please" or "thank you." We keep it exciting and encourage him to catch us unawares by using the word in everyday situations. It's adorable and reminds us all to watch our manners!

3. Busy Bags: I keep a bag of tricks ready for those inevitable boring moments, doctor's waits, unexpected delays, etc. These bags have small, eco-friendly sustainable toys, books, and quirky items like a mini magnifying glass or a little notebook. They're a lifesaver when you need to occupy them quietly and avoid meltdowns in public!

4. Outdoor Explorations: A sure way to blow off steam is to head outdoors. Nature walks or even a simple trip to the neighborhood park lets them exhaust their energy. I make it more fun by creating scavenger hunts or having them identify specific trees, birds, or insects. It encourages observation skills and burns off their excess energy.

5. Kitchen Kapers: Getting my toddler involved in cooking is a win-win. They learn about food and also have a sensory experience touching, measuring, and mixing ingredients. I assign them specific tasks like mixing dough or washing veggies, which keeps them engaged and helps me out too!

When things don't go as planned, which they often don't with toddlers, I don't sweat it. I find that going with the flow and adapting to their needs helps avoid escalating meltdowns. If a strategy isn't working, I switch gears and pull out my secret weapon - tickle fights! That usually resets everyone's moods, gets those giggles going, and we can then redirect to the original plan or something new.

What about you? Any toddler tactics that work well for you?
Your strategies sound fun and thoughtful!

I especially like your 'Magic Manners Word' idea - it's clever how you've turned manners into a game. Teaching them young will hopefully make good habits stick too. And I can imagine how useful those busy bags are when out and about - a great idea for keeping toddlers entertained without the tech!

For cooking, I often found that giving my child his own miniature cooking set to mimic what I'm doing helped keep him occupied. He would 'cook' alongside me, stirring imaginary soups and seasoning tiny meals. This kept him engaged and entertained while learning, plus he felt involved and important as he was doing something 'big' like Mom!

Also, I agree that the outdoors is a godsend when it comes to wearing them out! I usually let my toddler lead the way; they somehow find their way to some exciting adventure, which often involves a lot of climbing on things and jumping over imaginary pitfalls. haha. But it keeps them active, so I'm all for it!

When it comes to navigating toddlerdom, I've found that keeping a cool head and being consistent with simple routines helps to manage their behavior. Establish clear and simple boundaries and explain them to your little ones. For manners, I incorporate please and thank you into everyday interactions - it's amazing how much toddlers pick up on these words when you consistently remind them! As for tantrums, I give myself some space first before addressing the meltdown, keeping calm and offering alternatives to express their big feelings.

What works best for me might not work for others, so I'm all ears for more tips!
every toddler is unique, and as parents, we must adapt our strategies accordingly!(oops looks like I ended up using the word "indeed"!) It's interesting to hear how different methods can be equally effective in managing this lively phase. Keep those tips coming!

When it comes to navigating toddlerdom, I've found that keeping a cool head and being consistent with simple routines helps to manage their behavior. Establish clear and simple boundaries and explain them to your little ones. For manners, I incorporate please and thank you into everyday interactions - it's amazing how much toddlers pick up on these words when you consistently remind them! As for tantrums, I give myself some space first before addressing the meltdown, keeping calm and offering alternatives to express their big feelings.

What works best for me might not work for others, so I'm all ears for more tips!
That's spot on! It's intriguing to learn how every toddler is different and each parent has to ultimately find their own strategies to navigate this fun yet testing stage of life. it's a recipe for disaster when parents lose their cool -- been there, done that!

What other fun and creative ways do you think parents can employ to encourage good manners? Any secret tricks to keep those energetic tots engaged indoors, especially on rainy days?

Consistently setting clear expectations and keeping a cool head despite the challenges - sounds like you're doing a fantastic job! Toddlers certainly keep us on our toes and it's great to have a toolbox of strategies.

Speaking of which, one tactic I use is a customized rewards system. My toddler loves sticker charts and simple games like "Who can be quiet the longest?" or "Let's see who can make the silliest face." This encourages good behavior and keeps my kid engaged, plus it's fun for me too! Also, I try to leverage their natural curiosity and turn every day into a mini-adventure. A trip to the grocery store becomes a colorful adventure where they can help pick out fruits or count items in the cart. This keeps them engaged and prevents those bored (and often mischievous) moments.

I also find that having a well-stocked bag of easy snacks helps distract when needed, though this might just be bribery! Anything to avoid an epic meltdown, right?

It's heartening to hear other moms' survival strategies and reminds us we're not alone in this tumultuous toddler journey!

You sound like a patient parent with a well-thought-out strategy! Are there any other experienced mums or dads who can offer some insights into managing those tricky toddler years? We're always learning, right?!

When it comes to dealing with tantrums, I've learned that keeping calm and not raising my voice is key. Toddler logic can be frustrating, but stepping outside and taking a brief walk usually helps me keep my cool. Also, having a bag of tricks like a favorite snack or toy as a distraction works wonders when things get overwhelming.

For manners, I make sure to praise good behavior and catch them being good. A simple "Thank you for sharing!" or "What a nice word!" goes a long way in encouraging more polite behavior. Reinforcement is a powerful tool!

Keeping them engaged is easier when you plan ahead. I keep a roster of activities that work well, like painting, playing with bubbles, or going to the park. Planning an exciting activity every few days also helps, and the anticipation keeps my daughter excited and well-behaved in between.

When all else fails, I resort to my go-to line, "Remember, we're a team. Can you help Momma by being patient/kind/ considerate?" It makes her feel more involved and responsible for her actions.

I'm all ears for new ideas too, as this stage is a handful but rewarding!
As parents, it's great to have a toolkit of strategies and learn from one another!

When it comes to dealing with tantrums, I've learned that keeping calm and not raising my voice is key. Toddler logic can be frustrating, but stepping outside and taking a brief walk usually helps me keep my cool. Also, having a bag of tricks like a favorite snack or toy as a distraction works wonders when things get overwhelming.

For manners, I make sure to praise good behavior and catch them being good. A simple "Thank you for sharing!" or "What a nice word!" goes a long way in encouraging more polite behavior. Reinforcement is a powerful tool!

Keeping them engaged is easier when you plan ahead. I keep a roster of activities that work well, like painting, playing with bubbles, or going to the park. Planning an exciting activity every few days also helps, and the anticipation keeps my daughter excited and well-behaved in between.

When all else fails, I resort to my go-to line, "Remember, we're a team. Can you help Momma by being patient/kind/ considerate?" It makes her feel more involved and responsible for her actions.

I'm all ears for new ideas too, as this stage is a handful but rewarding!
Proud of you, mums out there holding it down with your little ones! I can feel the toddler struggles in your posts. Keep those tactics coming; we're building quite the arsenal here!

Distract and redirect. That's the key with toddlers. If they're having a tantrum, take them away from the situation and distract them with something else. Reward good manners with attention - children love it when you acknowledge their politeness. But never false praise; they aren't stupid and can tell when you're being insincere. As for keeping them occupied, have a rotation of activities so they don't get bored. Outdoors is always a winner. When all else fails, put on a good movie or whack some kid-friendly music and have a dance session.
You're spot on about toddlers' instincts! Their attentiveness to their surroundings and curiosity can be successfully channeled with appropriate distractions. Removing them from the situation and changing the environment is an excellent way to distract and recalibrate their emotions during tantrums. And yes, outdoor adventures never seem to fail in captivating their imaginative minds!

Distract and redirect. That's the key with toddlers. If they're having a tantrum, take them away from the situation and distract them with something else. Reward good manners with attention - children love it when you acknowledge their politeness. But never false praise; they aren't stupid and can tell when you're being insincere. As for keeping them occupied, have a rotation of activities so they don't get bored. Outdoors is always a winner. When all else fails, put on a good movie or whack some kid-friendly music and have a dance session.
Totally agreed! Distraction is really an effective method that I use often to manage my child's tantrums too. He learns quickly that he won't get his way by throwing a fit, especially when his focus shifts to other exciting alternatives.

Good point about removing them from the situation during tantrums. It's a simple yet effective strategy that can often go overlooked! Removing the audience can help deescalate the situation too, especially if other children are around and fueling the fire.

And yes, I second the notion of avoiding false praise; it can cheapen the meaning of genuine praise and manners. Toddlers may even start questioning your motives!

What other tactics have worked well for you? Any secrets to share on maintaining your Zen while managing those bustling toddlers?

You seem like a seasoned pro at this! Distracting them and redirecting their attention is a clever way to handle tantrums - sometimes, children just need a quick shift in focus. Consistency is definitely key with manners; it's surprising how quickly those little ones pick up good habits when we remain persistent.

I agree that outdoor time is a God-send and can tire out even the most energetic tots. It's amazing how nature seems to calm them down, and they sleep soundly after a good run in the sun! For indoor activities, I'm gathering ideas from parents like you - it's a challenge to keep coming up with new, exciting activities to keep their short attention spans engaged.

I've also learned that giving my toddler a sense of control, as counterintuitive as it may seem, really helps. Allowing them to make small decisions like choosing their outfit for the day or selecting a fruit they'd like for snack time seems to encourage good behavior. It empowers them and makes them feel big and important, which leads to more positive interactions.

What other fun tricks do you have up your sleeve for those tricky toddler situations?
You're too kind! I wouldn't call myself a pro, but with a child approaching the Terrible Twos, I've had my fair share of practice!

I like your idea about giving them control; it's a great way to empower them and also teaches them to make decisions. I find that teaching them simple, age-appropriate jokes and having them practice them around this age boosts their confidence too. It gives them a sense of humor and a new skill - being entertaining!

For situations where their safety is concerned, like running amok in public places, I keep my child leashed up in a harness. It ensures I have peace of mind and frees my hands to tend to other matters. Of course, it comes with its own set of judgments from other folks, but hey, we do what we've gotta do!

Aside from that, being silly is the name of the game. Making goofy faces during mealtime, playing "scary monster" to clean up those toys - anything to keep their interest piqued and laughter going. Toddlers seem to have such a short memory, so it's all about the here and now!

You seem like a seasoned pro at this! Distracting them and redirecting their attention is a clever way to handle tantrums - sometimes, children just need a quick shift in focus. Consistency is definitely key with manners; it's surprising how quickly those little ones pick up good habits when we remain persistent.

I agree that outdoor time is a God-send and can tire out even the most energetic tots. It's amazing how nature seems to calm them down, and they sleep soundly after a good run in the sun! For indoor activities, I'm gathering ideas from parents like you - it's a challenge to keep coming up with new, exciting activities to keep their short attention spans engaged.

I've also learned that giving my toddler a sense of control, as counterintuitive as it may seem, really helps. Allowing them to make small decisions like choosing their outfit for the day or selecting a fruit they'd like for snack time seems to encourage good behavior. It empowers them and makes them feel big and important, which leads to more positive interactions.

What other fun tricks do you have up your sleeve for those tricky toddler situations?
You're too kind! I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I've definitely had my fair share of practice and have learned through many trials and errors.

I like your idea about giving toddlers a sense of autonomy; it's a great way to boost their confidence and develop their identity. It's amazing how something as simple as letting them pick their clothes can make them feel involved and important.

Apart from that, I'd say having a well-stocked, accessible arts and crafts corner helps a lot! Paint, colored pencils, and sticky tape seem to keep my kiddo entertained for hours, especially when they're able to create something tangible at the end. Also, I try to involve them in chores, which they surprisingly enjoy. Assigning them simple tasks like watering plants or helping with grocery bags makes them feel useful and keeps their enthusiasm up.

For meltdown situations, I resort to my emergency bag of snacks and favorite toys - a stuffed animal goes a long way when emotions run high! You'd think I was giving out gold, the way they light up!

But really, it's all about being creative and adaptable - no two toddlers are alike, so it keeps things interesting. I'm sure you're doing a great job! It's lovely to swap these stories and gather inspiration.

You've shared some great insights! It's good to hear that distraction techniques work well for your tot's tantrums - it's a savvy way to navigate those tricky situations. Consistency is the key with manners - setting those expectations from an early age pays off!

As you said, each child is unique, so parents need to experiment to find what suits their little personalities. But that's half the fun - figuring out these little humans and their quirkiness!
it's intriguing to uncover these cute personalities and discovering what works best for each situation! I enjoy those little surprises that come with experimenting, and eventually finding what ticks all the boxes.

You're right about giving toddlers a sense of autonomy; it's a great way to empower them! I find that giving options also helps with decision-making and encourages them to express their preferences.

For example, instead of asking, "Do you want a shower?" which could lead to a protracted debate, I now say, "It's time to get cleaned up. Would you like a bath or a shower today?" They feel they have a real choice and are more likely to cooperate.

I also rely on my "Emergency Tote," a bag filled with quirky, novel toys that only appear every few weeks. The surprise element keeps them intrigued, so I can use it when I need some me-time, like making an important call, and buy myself half an hour of peace!

Another tactic is playing "Peekaboo" in various forms. Whether hiding behind pillows or playing hide and seek with objects, the game never seems to get old for them and is a great distractor when transitioning between activities. It's amazing how creative you get when survival mode kicks in!

But the tried-and-true favorites like bubble baths, sidewalk chalk, and dance parties are go-tos I think we parents can always rely on. Sometimes the simplest ideas end up being the most fun! What about you? Any unexpected hits with your tot?

Hah! If you think I'm some kind of expert, you're mistaken. Every parent has their own struggles; some days are smoother than others, that's all.

You're spot on about giving them choices; it does wonders for their confidence and makes the entire experience more pleasant. Indoors, a simple but engaging activity is having them help with chores! Toddlers love water, so washing cars or watering plants can be fun. Also, building forts with blankets never gets old, especially with some creative touches like flashing lights or secret snacks. You'd be surprised how entertained they stay while constructing these little hideaways.

That's the thing about kids - they're simple pleasures are what make them happy. A tickle fest, goofy faces, or a silly walk around the house can distract from any meltdown. They remind us to enjoy the little things in life!

You've shared some great insights! It's good to hear that distraction techniques work well for your tot's tantrums - it's a savvy way to navigate those tricky situations. Consistency is the key with manners - setting those expectations from an early age pays off!

As you said, each child is unique, so parents need to experiment to find what suits their little personalities. But that's half the fun - figuring out these little humans and their quirkiness!
Yes it's fascinating getting to know each child's unique personality, especially as they grow and develop. It's a privilege to witness their little minds at work!

Distraction is definitely an art - some might say it's a parental superpower! It's great that you've found your go-to approach and are consistent with manner reinforcement.

As for keeping kids engaged, I'm glad you mentioned responsibilities as a method because teaching them the value of helping out around the house keeps them occupied and instills a sense of purpose. Chores, as some call it, can be presented as fun games and often help shift their focus from misbehaving.

What specific techniques do you employ when introducing these tasks? And do you have any fun chore ideas that keep your little ones entertained while contributing to the household?
Good question! Introducing responsibilities to young children can be tricky but definitely manageable. I make it a point to assign age-appropriate tasks and frame them as fun adventures. For instance, my kids love 'helper' roles like setting the table for dinner. They feel important contributing to the meal and get excited about their special jobs.

I use visual cues or reminders for simpler tasks like picking up toys. With their help, I created a cute little picture chart that reminds them which toys go where, making cleanup more of a game than a chore. And yes, the satisfaction of ticking off completed chores is always encouraging!

For older kids, I involve them in preparing simple meals. They get a kick out of mixing ingredients and following easy recipes. It keeps them occupied and teaches them vital life skills - plus, they're more likely to eat their creations!

The key is making these activities fun and not too overwhelming. Short, achievable tasks are the goal, with lots of praise and encouragement because they derive a sense of accomplishment from doing things themselves.

I've also found that letting them choose their chores can make it less dreaded. I lay out a few options like 'dusting duty' or 'laundry helper,' making it seem like an exciting choice instead of an onerous task. This empowers them and lets them take ownership, which results in more positive attitudes towards helping around the house.

It's quite remarkable how these little tactics can transform household responsibilities into enjoyable experiences for everyone! Any other fun strategies are welcome because it's a never-ending quest to keep kids engaged and happy while learning life lessons.

You're right; every child comes with their unique challenges and quirks! It keeps us parents on our toes. It's a joy to figure them out and find what works best for everyone.

Distraction is definitely an art - some might say it's a parental superpower! It's great that you've found your go-to approach and are consistent with manner reinforcement.

As for keeping kids engaged, I'm glad you mentioned responsibilities as a method because teaching them the value of helping out around the house keeps them occupied and instills a sense of purpose. Chores, as some call it, can be presented as fun games and often help shift their focus from misbehaving.

What specific techniques do you employ when introducing these tasks? And do you have any fun chore ideas that keep your little ones entertained while contributing to the household?
Introducing responsibilities as enjoyable tasks is a great way to get them involved, and it starts with simple, fun chores! I make it a point to assign catchy names to the tasks, like the "Sunlight Safari," where they 'explore' and wipe the sunny windowsills and tables. Another one's the "Dusty Dance," which encourages them to groove while dusting the furniture. Nothing too complicated - just some silly fun that makes it all seem like a game!

I also let them choose which chores they'd like to take on, giving them some autonomy in an otherwise tedious task. This empowers them and allows me to tailor the difficulty to their age and abilities. It's amazing how a simple sprucing up of the language can make chores more inviting!

For instance, instead of the mundane "Take out the trash," which sounds like a chore I'd phrase it as the "Garbage Glacier Challenge," giving instructions with a cheeky tone: "Let's go on an adventure to scale the icy Garbage Glacier and help the trash find its way down!" It's entertaining and engages their wild imaginations while getting them moving in a meaningful way.

And if all else fails and they're still not sold, I'd break out the good old reward charts with lots of stickers and stars - that always seems to sweeten the deal! What other clever strategies do parents have for making household duties fun?

Yes it's quite an adventure getting to know these tiny people and their different personalities! So many parents here have shared wonderful tips on managing our tots; it's such a great learning experience for all of us. It pays to be prepared with a repertoire of tricks!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu