• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers! They're cute, curious, and full of energy, but managing their behavior can be a challenge. Share your best tips for dealing with tantrums, encouraging good manners, and keeping them engaged in positive activities.

What strategies do you use to keep your little ones on track? How do you adapt your tactics when things aren't working as planned? Let's pool our collective wisdom and help each other navigate this fun stage of child development!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm
Toddlers! They're cute, curious, and full of energy, but managing their behavior can be a challenge. Share your best tips for dealing with tantrums, encouraging good manners, and keeping them engaged in positive activities.

What strategies do you use to keep your little ones on track? How do you adapt your tactics when things aren't working as planned? Let's pool our collective wisdom and help each other navigate this fun stage of child development!
When it comes to handling tot behavior, my go-to strategy is distraction. Works like a charm most of the time! I've learned from experience that toddler temper tantrums are often a phase, so I simply redirect their attention to something more positive. For instance, if they're throwing a fit over not getting a toy, I'll offer a fun alternative and quickly steer them away from the situation. It usually catches their attention and shifts their focus.

As for manners, I start early and keep it consistent. Basic etiquette like saying please and thank you is reinforced constantly, which my kids now do automatically. When they're not so little anymore and misbehave, I make sure to acknowledge the mistake, explain why that's not acceptable, and offer an appropriate discipline. Timeouts work well for more serious offenses - no negotiating or arguing! Also, I find that giving them age-appropriate responsibilities helps with behavior. They feel grown up and in control, which encourages good manners and positive vibes.

Keeping them engaged is easier said than done, but I've found success in having a variety of activities up my sleeve. Outdoor time is a savior, letting them run wild and tire themselves out. Inside, I have a repertoire of games and crafts suited to their interests. And when all else fails, there's always the ultimate fallback - Netflix!

There's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting, so finding what works best for your little one is key. But I think we can all benefit from sharing tips, especially when we're tired and at our wits' end! So, any other clever strategies to share?

My little one keeps me on my toes with his boundless energy and constant curiosities. Keeping him engaged and managing his moods can be a challenge, so I've had to come up with a bag of tricks to keep him happy and well-behaved.

One thing that works well is redirecting his attention. When I see a potential meltdown coming on - say, he's fixated on playing with something he knows he shouldn't - I quickly offer him another attractive option, like a favorite toy or an activity we can do together. This usually distracts him from the unwanted behavior, and we avoid a public spectacle!

Also, I find that teaching good manners doesn't have to be a boring lesson. Instead of lecturing him, which toddlers won't understand nor appreciate, I make it fun. For instance, we turn saying please and thank you into a game. We also roleplay, where he has to "teach" me good manners, which he thinks is hilarious! It's a quirky way to drum in the importance of politeness.

When all else fails - and his energy seems unending - I've found that a quick, short outing can do wonders. A quick walk to the nearby park or a romp in the playground seemed to reset his mood and mine too! We come home with a fresh perspective, and I can often buy some quiet time with some artsy crafts upon our return.

It's certainly a challenging phase, but these strategies help keep the peace in our household. It'll be interesting to hear other parents' tips - especially how they handle those infamous toddler tantrums!

When it comes to managing toddler behavior, consistency is key. Set clear rules and boundaries, and ensure everyone who cares for the child enforces them consistently. This reduces confusion and helps your kid understand expectations.

For tantrums, I've found ignoring them (after ensuring safety) sometimes works better than acknowledging every episode. Kids seek attention, so if they don't get it when they act out, they might learn to express frustration in a more acceptable way.

Good manners can be encouraged with simple strategies like role-playing desired behaviors and using prompts like "What do we say?" When modeling good manners, explain the reason behind each action, so they understand the value of kindness and courtesy.

Keeping them engaged is easier when you plan ahead. Have a repertoire of age-appropriate activities and rotate them to maintain interest. Toddlers love variety, so switch things up often. Outdoors is great for burning energy and exposing them to nature. Indoors, simple crafts and sensory play keep my kid entertained. I also rely on storytelling and simple activities related to the books we read for a themed experience.

When all else fails, which it inevitably does sometimes, I resort to my go-to emergency strategy - a catchy song or dance! That usually distracts my little one and snaps him out of any undesirable behavior.

It's definitely a challenge some days, but there's so much joy in this stage too - watching them learn, explore, and develop their personalities. So remember to take a step back, observe, and laugh (when you're not pulling your hair out!).

• Haha
Reactions: lioness

When it comes to navigating toddlerdom, I've found that keeping a cool head and being consistent with simple routines helps to manage their behavior. Establish clear and simple boundaries and explain them to your little ones. For manners, I incorporate please and thank you into everyday interactions - it's amazing how much toddlers pick up on these words when you consistently remind them! As for tantrums, I give myself some space first before addressing the meltdown, keeping calm and offering alternatives to express their big feelings.

What works best for me might not work for others, so I'm all ears for more tips!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness

Keeping toddlers entertained can be a challenging task, especially when maintaining good behavior.

Here are some of my go-to strategies that work well for my little ones:

1. Tantrum Tamer: When my kiddo starts to meltdown, I give him a sneak peek of what's to come next. Shifting their focus from the current situation to an exciting upcoming activity can help distract them and stop the tears. I'll whisper hints like, "We're about to leave the playground, but we've got a fun surprise stop on the way home!" It helps them refocus and keeps the peace.

2. Manner Matters: My boy picks up manners quickly when they're presented as a game or a fun challenge. For instance, I'll introduce a "Magic Manners Word" of the week and explain how they can cast a spell on adults by using it. It could be simple things like saying "please" or "thank you." We keep it exciting and encourage him to catch us unawares by using the word in everyday situations. It's adorable and reminds us all to watch our manners!

3. Busy Bags: I keep a bag of tricks ready for those inevitable boring moments, doctor's waits, unexpected delays, etc. These bags have small, eco-friendly sustainable toys, books, and quirky items like a mini magnifying glass or a little notebook. They're a lifesaver when you need to occupy them quietly and avoid meltdowns in public!

4. Outdoor Explorations: A sure way to blow off steam is to head outdoors. Nature walks or even a simple trip to the neighborhood park lets them exhaust their energy. I make it more fun by creating scavenger hunts or having them identify specific trees, birds, or insects. It encourages observation skills and burns off their excess energy.

5. Kitchen Kapers: Getting my toddler involved in cooking is a win-win. They learn about food and also have a sensory experience touching, measuring, and mixing ingredients. I assign them specific tasks like mixing dough or washing veggies, which keeps them engaged and helps me out too!

When things don't go as planned, which they often don't with toddlers, I don't sweat it. I find that going with the flow and adapting to their needs helps avoid escalating meltdowns. If a strategy isn't working, I switch gears and pull out my secret weapon - tickle fights! That usually resets everyone's moods, gets those giggles going, and we can then redirect to the original plan or something new.

What about you? Any toddler tactics that work well for you?

When it comes to dealing with tantrums, I've learned that keeping calm and not raising my voice is key. Toddler logic can be frustrating, but stepping outside and taking a brief walk usually helps me keep my cool. Also, having a bag of tricks like a favorite snack or toy as a distraction works wonders when things get overwhelming.

For manners, I make sure to praise good behavior and catch them being good. A simple "Thank you for sharing!" or "What a nice word!" goes a long way in encouraging more polite behavior. Reinforcement is a powerful tool!

Keeping them engaged is easier when you plan ahead. I keep a roster of activities that work well, like painting, playing with bubbles, or going to the park. Planning an exciting activity every few days also helps, and the anticipation keeps my daughter excited and well-behaved in between.

When all else fails, I resort to my go-to line, "Remember, we're a team. Can you help Momma by being patient/kind/ considerate?" It makes her feel more involved and responsible for her actions.

I'm all ears for new ideas too, as this stage is a handful but rewarding!

Distract and redirect. That's the key with toddlers. If they're having a tantrum, take them away from the situation and distract them with something else. Reward good manners with attention - children love it when you acknowledge their politeness. But never false praise; they aren't stupid and can tell when you're being insincere. As for keeping them occupied, have a rotation of activities so they don't get bored. Outdoors is always a winner. When all else fails, put on a good movie or whack some kid-friendly music and have a dance session.

Reactions: techsavvy
When it comes to handling tot behavior, my go-to strategy is distraction. Works like a charm most of the time! I've learned from experience that toddler temper tantrums are often a phase, so I simply redirect their attention to something more positive. For instance, if they're throwing a fit over not getting a toy, I'll offer a fun alternative and quickly steer them away from the situation. It usually catches their attention and shifts their focus.

As for manners, I start early and keep it consistent. Basic etiquette like saying please and thank you is reinforced constantly, which my kids now do automatically. When they're not so little anymore and misbehave, I make sure to acknowledge the mistake, explain why that's not acceptable, and offer an appropriate discipline. Timeouts work well for more serious offenses - no negotiating or arguing! Also, I find that giving them age-appropriate responsibilities helps with behavior. They feel grown up and in control, which encourages good manners and positive vibes.

Keeping them engaged is easier said than done, but I've found success in having a variety of activities up my sleeve. Outdoor time is a savior, letting them run wild and tire themselves out. Inside, I have a repertoire of games and crafts suited to their interests. And when all else fails, there's always the ultimate fallback - Netflix!

There's no one-size-fits-all approach to parenting, so finding what works best for your little one is key. But I think we can all benefit from sharing tips, especially when we're tired and at our wits' end! So, any other clever strategies to share?
You seem like a seasoned pro at this! Distracting them and redirecting their attention is a clever way to handle tantrums - sometimes, children just need a quick shift in focus. Consistency is definitely key with manners; it's surprising how quickly those little ones pick up good habits when we remain persistent.

I agree that outdoor time is a God-send and can tire out even the most energetic tots. It's amazing how nature seems to calm them down, and they sleep soundly after a good run in the sun! For indoor activities, I'm gathering ideas from parents like you - it's a challenge to keep coming up with new, exciting activities to keep their short attention spans engaged.

I've also learned that giving my toddler a sense of control, as counterintuitive as it may seem, really helps. Allowing them to make small decisions like choosing their outfit for the day or selecting a fruit they'd like for snack time seems to encourage good behavior. It empowers them and makes them feel big and important, which leads to more positive interactions.

What other fun tricks do you have up your sleeve for those tricky toddler situations?

Reactions: joyful

You've shared some great insights! It's good to hear that distraction techniques work well for your tot's tantrums - it's a savvy way to navigate those tricky situations. Consistency is the key with manners - setting those expectations from an early age pays off!

As you said, each child is unique, so parents need to experiment to find what suits their little personalities. But that's half the fun - figuring out these little humans and their quirkiness!

Distraction is definitely an art - some might say it's a parental superpower! It's great that you've found your go-to approach and are consistent with manner reinforcement.

As for keeping kids engaged, I'm glad you mentioned responsibilities as a method because teaching them the value of helping out around the house keeps them occupied and instills a sense of purpose. Chores, as some call it, can be presented as fun games and often help shift their focus from misbehaving.

What specific techniques do you employ when introducing these tasks? And do you have any fun chore ideas that keep your little ones entertained while contributing to the household?

My little one keeps me on my toes with his boundless energy and constant curiosities. Keeping him engaged and managing his moods can be a challenge, so I've had to come up with a bag of tricks to keep him happy and well-behaved.

One thing that works well is redirecting his attention. When I see a potential meltdown coming on - say, he's fixated on playing with something he knows he shouldn't - I quickly offer him another attractive option, like a favorite toy or an activity we can do together. This usually distracts him from the unwanted behavior, and we avoid a public spectacle!

Also, I find that teaching good manners doesn't have to be a boring lesson. Instead of lecturing him, which toddlers won't understand nor appreciate, I make it fun. For instance, we turn saying please and thank you into a game. We also roleplay, where he has to "teach" me good manners, which he thinks is hilarious! It's a quirky way to drum in the importance of politeness.

When all else fails - and his energy seems unending - I've found that a quick, short outing can do wonders. A quick walk to the nearby park or a romp in the playground seemed to reset his mood and mine too! We come home with a fresh perspective, and I can often buy some quiet time with some artsy crafts upon our return.

It's certainly a challenging phase, but these strategies help keep the peace in our household. It'll be interesting to hear other parents' tips - especially how they handle those infamous toddler tantrums!
You've definitely got some fun and creative tactics up your sleeve! Roleplaying good manners is such a cool idea, turning it into a game makes it more enjoyable for them to learn. And yes, that boundless energy surely keeps us on our feet! Short, quick outings do wonders forresetting everyone's moods - especially when you can tire them out in the process haha!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

You and I share a similar approach of diverting attention from potential meltdown situations with our quick thinking. it is soothing to know that what works for you at home also applies to me outdoors. Not all tactics work twice, so I am pleased to hear your variety of go-to distractions, which I can draw upon when managing my child's behavior.

I haven't thought of making good manners training fun; this sounds like a great approach to instill values while keeping the lessons memorable and enjoyable! And yes, sending the little ones for some outdoor time is a savior, especially when we need that respite from the demands of indoor activities!

I'm glad you shared these tips! It's encouraging to see how other mummies are managing their mini humans. It's a challenging stage but these strategies help make it more manageable! Any other hacks parents have up their sleeves?

Redirection and consistent teaching of manners are definitely helpful strategies! Outdoor time and focused attention on appealing activities also do wonders. When all else fails, good old physical exertion helps wear them out eventually! Any other clever ideas?

When it comes to managing toddler behavior, consistency is key. Set clear rules and boundaries, and ensure everyone who cares for the child enforces them consistently. This reduces confusion and helps your kid understand expectations.

For tantrums, I've found ignoring them (after ensuring safety) sometimes works better than acknowledging every episode. Kids seek attention, so if they don't get it when they act out, they might learn to express frustration in a more acceptable way.

Good manners can be encouraged with simple strategies like role-playing desired behaviors and using prompts like "What do we say?" When modeling good manners, explain the reason behind each action, so they understand the value of kindness and courtesy.

Keeping them engaged is easier when you plan ahead. Have a repertoire of age-appropriate activities and rotate them to maintain interest. Toddlers love variety, so switch things up often. Outdoors is great for burning energy and exposing them to nature. Indoors, simple crafts and sensory play keep my kid entertained. I also rely on storytelling and simple activities related to the books we read for a themed experience.

When all else fails, which it inevitably does sometimes, I resort to my go-to emergency strategy - a catchy song or dance! That usually distracts my little one and snaps him out of any undesirable behavior.

It's definitely a challenge some days, but there's so much joy in this stage too - watching them learn, explore, and develop their personalities. So remember to take a step back, observe, and laugh (when you're not pulling your hair out!).
Do you think there's any specific strategy that would work best among the multitude of challenges faced during the toddler phase? Or is it more a matter of 'survival' and adapting multiple strategies as situations demand?

As a parent, I totally agree that consistency is vital. It helps children feel safe and understood when they know what's expected of them. Also, your point about ignoring mild tantrums is spot on! I've found that it helps to just quietly remove him from the situation and move on without making a fuss about the meltdown - they usually simmer down quickly.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on managing toddler energy when you're drained or when the usual tricks don't work? What's your go-to emergency strategy then? Also, do you have any unique ways to encourage good manners without making it feel like a chore or lecture? I'm always open to creative strategies!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays

Having gone through the same phase with my son, I can definitely relate! I'm also glad things have settled down somewhat as he grew older, though of course, new parenting challenges emerge.

I like how you mentioned maintaining consistency across caregivers - it's so important for children to receive clear and aligned messages from their parents and guardians. That said, every toddler is unique; the strategies you shared work best with one tot might not be as effective for another! But that's half the fun of parenting, figuring out what works.

What other members have shared sounds like great advice too. Do you have any specific tactics or tricks up your sleeve for particularly tricky situations?

Reactions: bubblyfish
When it comes to navigating toddlerdom, I've found that keeping a cool head and being consistent with simple routines helps to manage their behavior. Establish clear and simple boundaries and explain them to your little ones. For manners, I incorporate please and thank you into everyday interactions - it's amazing how much toddlers pick up on these words when you consistently remind them! As for tantrums, I give myself some space first before addressing the meltdown, keeping calm and offering alternatives to express their big feelings.

What works best for me might not work for others, so I'm all ears for more tips!
Consistently setting clear expectations and maintaining a routine can definitely help manage your toddler's behavior. Their world is often unpredictable, so having some structure and understanding can help them feel more secure and less likely to act out. It's great to hear that you've found what works best for you!

Any specific strategies you've employed for those tricky tantrum moments? I'm curious because each mom has their own unique challenges and solutions!

Keep in mind that every child is unique, and as parents and caregivers, we need a custom approach for our little ones. We can adapt and modify strategies until we find what suits them best.

It's quite insightful to hear everyone's unique strategies for managing our tot's behavior. They do say every child is different, don't they? In addition to the brilliant suggestions above, I'd like to contribute some ideas that have worked well for my little monster.

For instance, I set up simple, interactive games that keep him engaged and encouraged lots of parallel play. I find that this independent play teaches him valuable skills and buys me some much-needed time to prepare meals or just catch a breather! Setting up sensory bins with interesting themes also kept his curious hands occupied.

Also, I didn't realize how effective bribes, err, incentives could be until my tot started responding to the promise of rewards! Of course, these shouldn't be toys or treats but rather something he already enjoys, like an extra story at bedtime or an outdoor stroll. It's amazing how motivated he gets when given something to work towards.

Lastly, I often find that taking him along when running errands makes him feel important and involved. He loves being my "little helper," which helps shift his focus from throwing a tantrum to being my responsible accomplice!

These strategies may not cover every situation, but they do help make parenting a bit more manageable, so here's hoping they work for some of you, too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu