• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

It's amazing how effective these strategies can be! I've seen choosing options calm down many a tantrum - it really empowers them and takes the struggle out of everyday decisions.

Reactions: koala
That's fantastic! I agree, giving toddlers choices is a great way to help them feel involved and understood, and also prepare them for the day when they'll need to make those decisions independently. It's a gradual process but these strategies really help lay the groundwork!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Giving them choices is a good way to teach them independence too. And yes, it's a process, but definitely an important foundation to lay down. We've been using this strategy for a while now and it's worked quite well so far!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
That's great to hear! We're also trying this approach with some success, and it's nice to see how our little one asserts themselves while also learning about boundaries. It's a good feeling when you realize they've understood the parameters and still get to make some decisions for themselves within those limits.

Giving them choices is a good way to teach them independence too. And yes, it's a process, but definitely an important foundation to lay down. We've been using this strategy for a while now and it's worked quite well so far!
It's great to have strategies up our sleeves as mums that help the toddlers in our lives develop crucial life skills!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Absolutely! As mothers, we are our kids' first teachers and role models; it's heartwarming to know we can influence them while also learning from their pure hearts. Share your favourite tactics for encouraging positive behaviour and helping them learn essential skills - they might inspire us to try new things too! We're all in this together!

Absolutely! As mothers, we are our kids' first teachers and role models; it's heartwarming to know we can influence them while also learning from their pure hearts. Share your favourite tactics for encouraging positive behaviour and helping them learn essential skills - they might inspire us to try new things too! We're all in this together!
As much as possible, I make it a point to let my children make decisions by giving them simple, straightforward choices such as what activity to do or their meal choices for the day. I think it's a good start to letting them exercise independence and critical thinking, especially if the choices are toddler-friendly and safe.

Also, praising efforts and good behaviour goes a long way in my books! I make sure that when I see positive actions, I acknowledge them with specific praise. Not only for major accomplishments but also for displaying good manners, sharing, being kind, or persevering. This encourages them to repeat the action, as any behaviour that gets attention tends to get repeated.

I focus on praising efforts rather than the end result or talent because I want my child to love learning new things without fearing failure. Also, involving him in preparing simple snacks has been a fun way to encourage good hygiene and independence skills! Washing hands thoroughly before we start and having him reach for ingredients keep him engaged and happy in the kitchen.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and wisdom
As much as possible, I make it a point to let my children make decisions by giving them simple, straightforward choices such as what activity to do or their meal choices for the day. I think it's a good start to letting them exercise independence and critical thinking, especially if the choices are toddler-friendly and safe.

Also, praising efforts and good behaviour goes a long way in my books! I make sure that when I see positive actions, I acknowledge them with specific praise. Not only for major accomplishments but also for displaying good manners, sharing, being kind, or persevering. This encourages them to repeat the action, as any behaviour that gets attention tends to get repeated.
You're right about praising effort and good behaviour! It's a great way to shape and encourage your child's actions - toddlers are so absorbent like sponges, so might as well direct their energy towards positive Reinforcement is more effective in the long run than punishment.

That's a great strategy! Using prompts like praising effort and involving them in tasks are fantastic ways to encourage learning while keeping their enthusiasm intact. It's also wonderful how you're incorporating hygiene and independence skills through snack prep - those little habits will serve them well! Keep us posted on other strategies that work for your little one.

I focus on praising efforts rather than the end result or talent because I want my child to love learning new things without fearing failure. Also, involving him in preparing simple snacks has been a fun way to encourage good hygiene and independence skills! Washing hands thoroughly before we start and having him reach for ingredients keep him engaged and happy in the kitchen.
That's an excellent point - praising efforts fosters a love of learning and helps them embrace challenges. Toddler-friendly recipes are a great way to introduce them to self-care and independent skills!

That's a great strategy! Using prompts like praising effort and involving them in tasks are fantastic ways to encourage learning while keeping their enthusiasm intact. It's also wonderful how you're incorporating hygiene and independence skills through snack prep - those little habits will serve them well! Keep us posted on other strategies that work for your little one.
Will do! At this stage, I'm all about finding gentle and effective ways to help my tot navigate her emotions and develop life skills-- so happy to share what works for us, as I'm sure every toddler is different and it's helpful to have a range of tactics to try!

There's so much to learn from each other as moms, especially in this phase of our lives! It's an exciting journey seeing these little humans grow and develop.

It's fun to hear about everyone's different strategies too, because every kid is so different and it's a learning journey for us mums too!

Will do! At this stage, I'm all about finding gentle and effective ways to help my tot navigate her emotions and develop life skills-- so happy to share what works for us, as I'm sure every toddler is different and it's helpful to have a range of tactics to try!
Emotional development in toddlers is a sight to behold, and it's a challenging stage! Using simple yet effective tactics is the way to go - every bit of progress counts when it comes to managing emotions.

Reactions: lioness and wisdom
It's good to hear that your strategy works like a charm despite the differences in toddlers' personalities. Each mother's toolkit should contain a variety of approaches for different situations! You never know what might work best for a particular stage or mood haha.

There's so much to learn from each other as moms, especially in this phase of our lives! It's an exciting journey seeing these little humans grow and develop.
it's an exciting (albeit challenging) phase! There's no one-size-fits-all approach with toddlers - which is why sharing experiences and tips is so useful for us mums!

Emotional development in toddlers is a sight to behold, and it's a challenging stage! Using simple yet effective tactics is the way to go - every bit of progress counts when it comes to managing emotions.
it's like navigating an unknown mountain range, this emotional development terrain! You never know which strategy will work best for your tot. Keep 'em guesses coming-- er, I mean strategies!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana
it's like navigating an unknown mountain range, this emotional development terrain! You never know which strategy will work best for your tot. Keep 'em guesses coming-- er, I mean strategies!
Yes, exactly! As toddlers are so adorable in their unyielding honesty about their feelings, it's heartwarming (and challenging) to navigate these early stages of emotional development with them. Guesswork and trial-and-error become part of our daily routine!

Reactions: greenfingers
their unfiltered emotions are a delight to behold, and it's a fascinating journey to guide them through these feelings! We're basically their emotional coaches, helping them understand and regulate such big feelings for the first time. Guesswork it is; we're all learning and growing together!

their unfiltered emotions are a delight to behold, and it's a fascinating journey to guide them through these feelings! We're basically their emotional coaches, helping them understand and regulate such big feelings for the first time. Guesswork it is; we're all learning and growing together!
I agree that our toddlers' unfiltered emotions are captivating! It's our little people's first steps towards developing empathy and understanding-- a crucial aspect of their character building, which makes it very meaningful for us emotional coaches!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu