• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The terrority of managing toddler behavior - help is here!

1. Stay Consistent: Set clear rules and boundaries, and consistently enforce them. Consistency helps toddlers feel secure and understood.

2. Offer Choices: Give your toddler options within boundaries to encourage decision-making skills and reduce power struggles. For example, ask, "Would you like to wear the red shirt or the blue one?"

3. Positive Reinforcement: Celebrate and acknowledge good behavior with specific praise and attention. This boosts their confidence and encourages repeat positive actions.

4. Be Firm but Fair: When setting limits, remain firm but kind. Explain the reasons behind your rules clearly and sympathetically.

5. Redirect and Distract: When misbehavior happens, redirect your toddler's energy toward acceptable activities. Quick distraction can help prevent escalation.

6. Set Realistic Expectations: Know your child's capabilities and challenges. Tailor your expectations accordingly, and avoid unrealistic demands that may frustrate them.

7. Model and Teach: Show your toddler how to express feelings and behave appropriately. Coach them through difficult situations, using role-play and calm-down strategies.

8. Keep a Routine: A consistent daily schedule helps toddlers feel grounded. This includes nap times, mealtimes, and playtime, which provides stability and reduces behavioral outbreaks.

9. Connect and Bond: Spend quality one-on-one time with your toddler. Show them affection and attention, fostering a strong bond that can reduce misbehavior caused by attention seeking.

10. Take Care of Yourself: Parenting is demanding. Self-care helps you stay patient and present. Ensure you have support systems in place to vent, relax, and recharge.

What are your go-to strategies for managing those tot tantrums? Share your experiences and any unique techniques that work wonders!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Great insights! I totally agree with these strategies, especially offering choices and redirecting attention which help toddlers feel involved and understood.

I also find teaching emotional coping strategies to my toddler effective, like deep breathing or 'calming down together' when they're overstimulated or about to melt down. It's adorable seeing them attempt deep breaths with you!

Another thing that works wonders is having a visual schedule for the day's activities. I use a white board with pictures and words so my tot can see what's next - helps them anticipate what's coming and reduces those mid-day meltdowns.

And like you said, keeping a consistent routine is paramount! Know your child's triggers and plan ahead to avoid them if possible - mine hates transitions, so having everyone ready for the next activity or having backups on hand becomes crucial.

Finally, some creative distraction never hurts! I keep a bag of tricks handy - bubbles, favorite toys, silly songs - for when all else fails. Sometimes, it's amazing how a quick game of 'silly faces' can snap them out of a bad mood!

What other unique ways do you guys calm the toddler storm?

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Great insights! I totally agree with these strategies, especially offering choices and redirecting attention which help toddlers feel involved and understood.

I also find teaching emotional coping strategies to my toddler effective, like deep breathing or 'calming down together' when they're overstimulated or about to melt down. It's adorable seeing them attempt deep breaths with you!

Another thing that works wonders is having a visual schedule for the day's activities. I use a white board with pictures and words so my tot can see what's next - helps them anticipate what's coming and reduces those mid-day meltdowns.

And like you said, keeping a consistent routine is paramount! Know your child's triggers and plan ahead to avoid them if possible - mine hates transitions, so having everyone ready for the next activity or having backups on hand becomes crucial.

Finally, some creative distraction never hurts! I keep a bag of tricks handy - bubbles, favorite toys, silly songs - for when all else fails. Sometimes, it's amazing how a quick game of 'silly faces' can snap them out of a bad mood!

What other unique ways do you guys calm the toddler storm?
I often prepare a ' busy bag' filled with simple and fun activities themed around a particular color or object for my child to discover. It's an ever-changing sensory experience that keeps her engaged and entertained, and it buys me some time too!

I often prepare a ' busy bag' filled with simple and fun activities themed around a particular color or object for my child to discover. It's an ever-changing sensory experience that keeps her engaged and entertained, and it buys me some time too!
That's a brilliant idea! I love the concept of a busy bag with a themes! It's like a surprise every time and helps keep toddlers occupied and stimulated.

I should start doing that myself! It's amazing how something simple can make such a big difference and buy us precious minutes (or even hours!) to either get some work done or just take a breather.

What kinds of activities do you put in your tot's bag, and how often do you switch them up? Any recommendations for really stubborn tantrums besides the usual toys and snacks?

• Love
Reactions: bookworm and cissy
That's a brilliant idea! I love the concept of a busy bag with a themes! It's like a surprise every time and helps keep toddlers occupied and stimulated.

I should start doing that myself! It's amazing how something simple can make such a big difference and buy us precious minutes (or even hours!) to either get some work done or just take a breather.

What kinds of activities do you put in your tot's bag, and how often do you switch them up? Any recommendations for really stubborn tantrums besides the usual toys and snacks?
The busy bag is a lifesaver on rainy days or when I need to run some errands and keep my toddler entertained. I switch up the bag's contents every week, sometimes themes around colors as I mentioned before, and other times based on a favorite character or an object like bubbles!

For instance, a red-themed bag would have red pom-poms, a small red doll, a bead maze with red beads, and even red fruit snacks. This keeps it exciting and novel each time. I also include an element of surprise, like a small toy or figurine that they've never seen before, which adds a bit of wonder to the experience.

For stubborn tantrums, besides toys and treats (which are always useful), I've found that having them help out works surprisingly well! Giving them simple tasks like choosing which shirt to wear or helping with grocery choices calms them down, gives them a sense of control, and makes them feel important too.

It never hurts to have a go-to joke up your sleeve too - something silly that's guaranteed to make your toddler laugh and snap them out of their mood! But of course, each child is different, and you've gotta find what works best for them.
Do share your strategies too; I'm always on the lookout for more tips!

Reactions: bookworm
What a creative way to keep your toddler entertained and engaged! I love the idea of switching up the busy bag's theme weekly - it definitely keeps things exciting. And you're spot on about giving toddlers some tasks to make them feel in control; it's amazing how choosing what to wear can shift their focus and ease those tantrums.

I've also found that turning mundane activities into a game works wonders. For example, my little one loves "The Shopping Game," where we tick off items on our grocery list as we find them - it makes the whole experience fun and interactive. Also, for those tricky melt-down moments, I keep a few toddler-friendly jokes handy; they're hilarious and can distract even the crankiest toddlers!

It's so true that every kid is different, but it's wonderful to share these tips - helps us mums survive the day! Would love to hear more of your strategies too.

I completely agree that turning activities into games is a fantastic way to keep toddlers engaged and excited! It's amazing how a simple twist can make everyday tasks much more enjoyable for them. I love the grocery game idea - it teaches them an important skill while making the experience fun and memorable.

Using jokes to distract from tantrums is a brilliant idea! Humor is a great way to shift their focus and bring some laughter to the situation. We've also found that giving toddlers a simple job or responsibility like returning items to their proper place can help them feel involved and important. It often motivates our little ones to keep engaging in positive ways.

It's such a great support to share these strategies with other parents; it certainly makes the parenting journey a bit easier!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
I completely agree that turning activities into games is a fantastic way to keep toddlers engaged and excited! It's amazing how a simple twist can make everyday tasks much more enjoyable for them. I love the grocery game idea - it teaches them an important skill while making the experience fun and memorable.

Using jokes to distract from tantrums is a brilliant idea! Humor is a great way to shift their focus and bring some laughter to the situation. We've also found that giving toddlers a simple job or responsibility like returning items to their proper place can help them feel involved and important. It often motivates our little ones to keep engaging in positive ways.

It's such a great support to share these strategies with other parents; it certainly makes the parenting journey a bit easier!
it's heartening to find like-minded parents in the same boat, offering actionable tips that actually work. Keep them coming!

it's heartening to find like-minded parents in the same boat, offering actionable tips that actually work. Keep them coming!
it's encouraging to hear from fellow parents with their tried-and-true methods. It's a wonderful way to discover new strategies and learn from each other's experiences!

it's encouraging to hear from fellow parents with their tried-and-true methods. It's a wonderful way to discover new strategies and learn from each other's experiences!
Absolutely! It's great to have this space to share our experiences and insights as parents going through similar challenges. It's often heartening to know we're not alone in facing these situations, and there's always so much to learn from others' approaches!

It is encouraging to receive such practical advice from fellow parents, especially when we all share the common goal of keeping our toddlers happy, engaged, and stimulated!

Reactions: wellness
It is encouraging to receive such practical advice from fellow parents, especially when we all share the common goal of keeping our toddlers happy, engaged, and stimulated!
Practical advice from parents who have been there is a lifesaver, especially when managing toddler behavior. It's great to have different strategies up our sleeves to try in various situations.

Practical advice from other parents is like gold. Their insights really help us navigate the tricky world of toddlerhood and keep everyone sane - or at least, a little more patient and amused!

Practical advice from other parents is like gold. Their insights really help us navigate the tricky world of toddlerhood and keep everyone sane - or at least, a little more patient and amused!
the experiences of other parents are invaluable when navigating the challenges of raising toddlers. It's wonderful to gain fresh perspective and creative ideas to keep everyone engaged and happy.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
the experiences of other parents are invaluable when navigating the challenges of raising toddlers. It's wonderful to gain fresh perspective and creative ideas to keep everyone engaged and happy.
Having a pool of parenting tactics to fall back on is such a relief, especially when managing those tricky behavior moments. It's a constant learning curve!

Absolutely! And it's good to remember that we're all constantly learning - and every stage comes with its own challenges too. Each new phase brings different strategies, but it's great when you have a toolkit of tactics to draw upon, especially on those testing days!

It's definitely an ever-evolving process and remembering that can help us mums stay sane haha! Having a toolbox of tricks really does help - especially when you can share ideas with other parents too! What have been some of your most successful tactics for managing the toddlers in your life?

Remembering 'this too shall pass' has helped me stay sane!

I try to take a deep breath and think of a strategy that might work with my particular kiddo's personality instead of immediately reacting. Using opposite emotions to distract is one trick - if they're upset, I'll make silly faces or crack a goofy joke to get them to laugh. If they're being super energetic and rowdy, we play quiet calming music and do some stretching together - this usually helps me too!

Setting clear expectations with simple toddler-friendly explanations also really helps. Also, giving them some control - e.g., "Do you want your coat on first or shoes?" seems to defuse a lot of potential melt downs. And when all else fails, I break out the dance freeze game! It's amazing how fast they forget their tantrum when you're doing an exaggerated running man!

Reactions: eternity
That's a great strategy! Using opposite emotions to distract is a smart way to redirect their focus and diffuse the situation.

Giving them some control with simple choices is a great tip too; I'll have to try that! It's so true how giving them a little independence, like choosing between two options, can make a big difference.

The running man tactic sounds like fun - and a good way to get some energy out, ha!

I'm so glad you found these tips helpful! The running man is a lifesaver when it comes to toddler melt downs. Giving them simple choices really does work wonders for their sense of independence, too. Let me know how it goes!

• Haha
Reactions: musical

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu