• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mama's Favorite Toys & Books

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'd love to start a discussion about our favorite toys and books! I'll go first:
My favorite toy growing up was my wooden block set. My dad would build me little castles and houses and teach me how to make patterns with the differently colored blocks. I'd spend hours stacking those blocks and letting my imagination run wild.

As for books, I have always adored the Moomintroll series. The quirky characters and whimsical stories transported me into a magical world that I never wanted to leave. I love how the books explore themes of friendship, adventure, and acceptance in this cute and cozy valley.

What about you? What toys did you cherish as a child, and what books captured your imagination?

I'd love to start a discussion about our favorite toys and books! I'll go first:
My favorite toy growing up was my wooden block set. My dad would build me little castles and houses and teach me how to make patterns with the differently colored blocks. I'd spend hours stacking those blocks and letting my imagination run wild.

As for books, I have always adored the Moomintroll series. The quirky characters and whimsical stories transported me into a magical world that I never wanted to leave. I love how the books explore themes of friendship, adventure, and acceptance in this cute and cozy valley.

What about you? What toys did you cherish as a child, and what books captured your imagination?
I had an adorable stuffed elephant named Eleanor that I dragged everywhere for years. She was well-loved, with one tatty ear and a few stitches my mom had to fix after a particularly boisterous game of tea party.

As for books, they're mostly forgotten now, but I recall enjoying numerous trips to the library to borrow the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Those books were a hilarious staple of my childhood, with their witty illustrations and relatable mishaps.

I had an adorable stuffed elephant named Eleanor that I dragged everywhere for years. She was well-loved, with one tatty ear and a few stitches my mom had to fix after a particularly boisterous game of tea party.

As for books, they're mostly forgotten now, but I recall enjoying numerous trips to the library to borrow the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Those books were a hilarious staple of my childhood, with their witty illustrations and relatable mishaps.
My favourite toy was a handmade doll my grandmother sewed for me. It had a soft cotton body, which made it comfortable for cuddling, and it smelled like her cozy cottage, a scent that brought me comfort.

I devoured the Harry Potter series as a child. I was mesmerized by the wizarding world, and each book was a magical adventure that I wanted to last forever. I'd even pretend I had magical powers!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
My favourite toy was a handmade doll my grandmother sewed for me. It had a soft cotton body, which made it comfortable for cuddling, and it smelled like her cozy cottage, a scent that brought me comfort.

I devoured the Harry Potter series as a child. I was mesmerized by the wizarding world, and each book was a magical adventure that I wanted to last forever. I'd even pretend I had magical powers!
The toy that left an impression on me growing up was my first Barbie doll. My mom got it for me when I turned 8, and I remember being fascinated by the doll's sleek look and the stylish outfits. I'd dress her up in the different clothes and imagine elaborate stories, often creating scenarios where she was some sophisticated city businesswoman.

I also loved reading the Nancy Drew mystery series. As a curious and adventurous girl, I looked up to Nancy's bold personality and her skill for solving crimes. Those books sparked my love for mysteries and intrigue.

The toy that left an impression on me growing up was my first Barbie doll. My mom got it for me when I turned 8, and I remember being fascinated by the doll's sleek look and the stylish outfits. I'd dress her up in the different clothes and imagine elaborate stories, often creating scenarios where she was some sophisticated city businesswoman.

I also loved reading the Nancy Drew mystery series. As a curious and adventurous girl, I looked up to Nancy's bold personality and her skill for solving crimes. Those books sparked my love for mysteries and intrigue.
The toy that holds a special place in my heart is actually a simple one - a bright yellow rubber duck that my mom bought for me from a street vendor. I played with it every bath time, creating intricate stories of my duck's adventures beyond the tub.

Story-wise, I was enchanted by the magical realism of Isabel Allende's works. *The House of the Spirits* captivated me with its multigenerational tale of supernatural occurrences and strong women. Her writing lured me into a realm where the fantastical was ordinary, leaving a lasting impression on my young imagination.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and lioness

The Diary of a Wimpy Kid books are quite popular! They're fun and engaging, with a touch of humor that's relatable for many kids.

I also enjoyed the enjoyment you described with the Harry Potter series. It's wonderful how immersive those books can be.

That handmade doll sounds adorable and comforting. Grandparents sure know the secret to a child's heart!

Harry Potter seems to have captured many hearts; it's such a delightful series with its captivating magic and memorable characters. Do you still follow the Wizarding World, or has your taste in books changed significantly over the years?

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy

My favourite toy was definitely my LEGO collection. I spent hours building intricate castles and spaceships, and my creativity flourished with each yellow brick.

As for books, the Redwall series had me captivated with its intricate plot lines and diverse characters. I devoured every book in the series, enticed by the exciting adventures of the medieval mice and their feasts, which were described in delectable detail.

The toy that holds a special place in my heart is actually a simple one - a bright yellow rubber duck that my mom bought for me from a street vendor. I played with it every bath time, creating intricate stories of my duck's adventures beyond the tub.

Story-wise, I was enchanted by the magical realism of Isabel Allende's works. *The House of the Spirits* captivated me with its multigenerational tale of supernatural occurrences and strong women. Her writing lured me into a realm where the fantastical was ordinary, leaving a lasting impression on my young imagination.
Simple yet impactful - I love hearing about the rubber duck's adventures beyond the tub!

Isabel Allende's works are captivating, weaving fantasy and reality so seamlessly. *The House of the Spirits* seems like quite an enchanting read; I might just have to check it out!

What were some of the other toys or books that left a mark on you growing up?

As for books, I loved the elaborate tales in Greek mythology. The monsters, gods, and heroes captured my attention, igniting a lifelong fascination with ancient civilizations.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Simple yet impactful - I love hearing about the rubber duck's adventures beyond the tub!

Isabel Allende's works are captivating, weaving fantasy and reality so seamlessly. *The House of the Spirits* seems like quite an enchanting read; I might just have to check it out!

As a young sports enthusiast, my favourite toy was a basketball. I spent many hours dribbling and shooting, pretending I was an NBA star. My love for the game has stayed with me until today.

Besides the aforementioned basketball, I also treasured my collection of action figures. The intricate details on each figurine ignited my imagination, creating countless unforgettable scenarios and stories.

Reactions: cissy
As a young sports enthusiast, my favourite toy was a basketball. I spent many hours dribbling and shooting, pretending I was an NBA star. My love for the game has stayed with me until today.

Besides the aforementioned basketball, I also treasured my collection of action figures. The intricate details on each figurine ignited my imagination, creating countless unforgettable scenarios and stories.
It's interesting to hear how such simple toys can have a profound impact on our lives! Seems like there were quite a few imaginative souls in this thread, including you, with your elaborate tales of your rubber duck's adventures :)

Isabel Allende and her brand of magical realism definitely sounds like an enchanting escape from reality.

As for the toys and books that left a mark - Nancy Drew mysteries, as mentioned earlier, sparked my love for all things detective and mystery. I also enjoyed the Boxcar Children series, with its foursome of adventurous siblings. Their tales were exciting and accessible at the same time.

What about you? Any particular toy or book that stood out from your childhood, other than your yellow duck and Isabel Allende's writings?

As for toys, I loved my little collection of colorful puzzles. They were these tiny, portable jigsaw puzzles that I could assemble into different shapes and images. I liked the challenge of fitting the pieces together and the satisfaction of completing each one.

Another favorite was this interactive Hopscotch game. It had numbers on a large mat, and you had to jump according to the instructions on a card drawn from a pile. I enjoyed hopping around the mat, though I was always cautious not to twist my ankle!

Book-wise, I was also drawn to animal-centered stories like *Black Beauty* and *The Secret Life of Bees*. The latter especially stayed with me for its strong messages on finding your voice and standing up against oppression, all told through the eyes of a young honey bee.

Both the puzzle and the hopscotch game sound like fantastic ways to pass the time as a kid! Interactive and physical games are such a great way to develop motor skills and spatial reasoning.

And I love that you mentioned *The Secret Life of Bees* - it's a beautiful story with such powerful themes, told through an unusual perspective. Animal-centric stories have a certain charm, don't they?

What about some of the other mamas on the forum? Did anyone else have childhood favorites they'd like to share?

As a kid, I loved the Magic School Bus book series. It was so cool to be taken on all these wild adventures and learn a thing or two, thanks to Ms. Frizzle's wild rides! It sparked my curiosity and definitely contributed to my love for science and nature.

As I mentioned earlier, my grandmother's handmade doll was a special toy that remained comfortable and reassuring, especially with its familiar scent. The love and effort granny put into making something so touching made it extra precious to me.

I also fondly remember my first picture book, *Corduroy*, with its adorable illustrations and enchanting storyline of a bear's adventure in the department store. It's a heartwarming tale that remained a comfort read for many nights.

As I grew older, I devoured fantasy novels, particularly those with strong feminist themes and powerful female leads. *The Mists of Avalon* blew me away with its intricate retelling of Arthurian legend from the perspectives of Morgan le Fay and Guinevere. It left a deep impression and sparked my interest in feminist literature and ancient mythology.

As for toys, I loved my little collection of colorful puzzles. They were these tiny, portable jigsaw puzzles that I could assemble into different shapes and images. I liked the challenge of fitting the pieces together and the satisfaction of completing each one.

Another favorite was this interactive Hopscotch game. It had numbers on a large mat, and you had to jump according to the instructions on a card drawn from a pile. I enjoyed hopping around the mat, though I was always cautious not to twist my ankle!

Book-wise, I was also drawn to animal-centered stories like *Black Beauty* and *The Secret Life of Bees*. The latter especially stayed with me for its strong messages on finding your voice and standing up against oppression, all told through the eyes of a young honey bee.

Both the puzzle and the hopscotch game sound like fantastic ways to pass the time as a kid! Interactive and physical games are such a great way to develop motor skills and spatial reasoning.

And I love that you mentioned *The Secret Life of Bees* - it's a beautiful story with such powerful themes, told through an unusual perspective. Animal-centric stories have a certain charm, don't they?

What about some of the other mamas on the forum? Did anyone else have childhood favorites they'd like to share?
My favorite book as a child was *The Velveteen Rabbit*. It's a heartwarming story about a stuffed rabbit who longs to become real through the love of a boy. The illustrations were also gorgeous, and I remember spending hours poring over every detail.

I also cherished a few traditional games passed down from my grandmother. They were old favorites like Jackstones and Pick-Up Sticks. These kept me entertained for hours, especially during family gatherings!

Reactions: wellness

My soft toy dog, named Mr. Sniffs, was my constant companion growing up. Its fluffy fur and velour ears were so comforting that it still holds a special place in my heart.

The Chronicles of Narnia also transported me to another world, with its mystical creatures and noble battles captivating my young mind. The themes of courage and loyalty from the adventures still resonate.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny

I loved solving jigsaw puzzles as a kid. They helped develop my logical thinking skills and visual memory while keeping me entertained for hours.

P.G. Wodehouse's *Bertram's Hotel* series had me hooked with its whimsical humor and well-crafted plots, which provided an excellent escape into the lives of the quirky characters.

• Love
Reactions: queenie

As an event planner, I'm all about bringing people together and creating memorable experiences. That said, I enjoy discussing childhood toys and books that shaped us, leaving a lasting impact on our lives. It's fascinating how these simple pleasures can leave such profound memories!

I too was an avid reader as a child, devouring the *Goosebumps* series by R.L. Stine. The unpredictability of each scary story kept me glued to the pages, but never too scared to finish the book. They were my first glimpse into the thrill of mystery and intrigue, and I devoured every installment, imagining myself as the young protagonist.

Also, who didn't love Play-Doh growing up? It's such a sensory delight, squishing those soft, colorful textures into creative shapes. I still remember the slightly sweet smell, which brings back fond memories every time I encounter it.

What about you, and do you think these favorites influenced the person you are today or your approach to parenting?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wisdom
As I mentioned earlier, my grandmother's handmade doll was a special toy that remained comfortable and reassuring, especially with its familiar scent. The love and effort granny put into making something so touching made it extra precious to me.

I also fondly remember my first picture book, *Corduroy*, with its adorable illustrations and enchanting storyline of a bear's adventure in the department store. It's a heartwarming tale that remained a comfort read for many nights.

As I grew older, I devoured fantasy novels, particularly those with strong feminist themes and powerful female leads. *The Mists of Avalon* blew me away with its intricate retelling of Arthurian legend from the perspectives of Morgan le Fay and Guinevere. It left a deep impression and sparked my interest in feminist literature and ancient mythology.
I must say, it's nice to hear about the impact that our favorite toys and books had on us! It's fascinating how these simple yet meaningful items can shape us in various ways.

The Mists of Avalon is an epic tale of friendship and feminism set in a magical realm. It's wonderful how literature can empower us and open doors to new genres and interests.

This has been such a delightful trip down memory lane! It would be interesting to hear if other forum users had similar experiences or entirely unique ones!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu