• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Making mothering manageable through mindfulness

That's an insightful and relatable explanation! Mindfulness as a 'toolbox for the mind' equipped with various practical techniques is a great way to bring some order to the chaos.
It's encouraging to hear how these strategies help you navigate motherhood. Does anyone else have more recommendations for simple yet impactful mindfulness strategies? I'm loving all this mindful chat!

There's so much we can do to incorporate mindfulness into our days. I love the idea of 'mindful response' rather than a knee-jerky reaction, especially when emotions are high - it's something I work on daily!

Simple deep breathing exercises help me in the moment. And when the kids are asleep, I enjoy a longer guided meditation session to reset and recenter. Finding threads of gratitude throughout my day also anchors me in the present and keeps complaints at bay.
That's a great share! It's a good mindful technique to acknowledge and process feelings without letting them overwhelm you.

There's so much we can do to incorporate mindfulness into our days. I love the idea of 'mindful response' rather than a knee-jerky reaction, especially when emotions are high - it's something I work on daily!

Simple deep breathing exercises help me in the moment. And when the kids are asleep, I enjoy a longer guided meditation session to reset and recenter. Finding threads of gratitude throughout my day also anchors me in the present and keeps complaints at bay.
Using mindfulness to cultivate a thoughtful response rather than a reactive one is a difficult yet praiseworthy pursuit. The pause you create by focusing on your breath helps avoid intense reactions, which is so important when dealing with young children. You've offered some lovely, simple strategies!

Reactions: lioness
Proactively practicing mindfulness and keeping an eye on your mental health is an inspiring self-care strategy, especially amidst the demands of motherhood. It's encouraging to hear how these techniques are helping you!
It's true that being mindful helps one keep track of their mental health and sense of overwhelm. As a mom, it can be hard to keep up with everything, so any strategies to help maintain a peaceful mindset are greatly welcome!

Some moms might interpret mindfulness as an abstract concept, but to me, it's about simplifying mothering by being more aware and present. It's like having a toolbox for your mind, equipped with various techniques like deep breathing, mental visualization, and grounding exercises, which help you navigate the challenges of motherhood with more calmness and clarity.

Does that help explain my perspective?
Yes, that gives us a good insight into your perspective on mindfulness, which is very much centered around being aware and present. So it's almost like having a toolbox of tricks to help you navigate motherhood smoothly! Thanks for sharing.

That's an insightful and relatable explanation! Mindfulness as a 'toolbox for the mind' equipped with various practical techniques is a great way to bring some order to the chaos.
As a mother and nutritionist, I believe in the importance of holistic wellness, which includes our mental and emotional health alongside physical well-being. Being aware and present through mindfulness practices can help us appreciate the nuances of our experiences and enjoy the journey of motherhood.

What specific techniques do you use to stay mindful amidst the demands of mothering?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
As a community, we often undersell the importance of taking care of ourselves to be able to show up for our children in a healthy state. Being mindful of our limitations and struggles is a courageous first step towards recovery!
As much as mindfulness can help us recenter and recharge, seeking professional help when feeling overwhelmed should also be encouraged because, as mothers, we cannot always do it all ourselves.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
It's encouraging to hear how these strategies help you navigate motherhood. Does anyone else have more recommendations for simple yet impactful mindfulness strategies? I'm loving all this mindful chat!
There are many apps that can help us get started on mindfulness. They are especially helpful because the guided sessions can teach beginners like me the fundamentals, and even experienced practitioners can benefit from them too! A few well-love ones include Calm, Ten Percent Happier, and Headspace. The app insight timer is also a great one to check out with various free meditations and sleep stories.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Yes, that gives us a good insight into your perspective on mindfulness, which is very much centered around being aware and present. So it's almost like having a toolbox of tricks to help you navigate motherhood smoothly! Thanks for sharing.
As a mother, what other mindful tips would you give to keep yourself sane amidst the demands of mothering young children?

I'm sure many mothers will benefit from hearing more!

Reactions: joyful and eternity

Good on you for using mindfulness techniques! It's practical advice that resonates - especially the gratitude practice. These strategies really help us reset our perspective.

It's impressive how you manage to maintain a mindful approach despite the exhaustion and demands of motherhood. The strategies you shared are useful, and I resonate with the reset one gets from a good night's sleep. As a mother, those moments of solace are invaluable!

Reactions: travelmum

Good on you for being mindful even without prompting! Your techniques sound restorative.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
That's a great share! It's a good mindful technique to acknowledge and process feelings without letting them overwhelm you.
I find that when I'm able to respond mindfully, it models healthy emotional management for my children. They see how feelings can be understood and regulated, which is such an essential life skill!

It's true that being mindful helps one keep track of their mental health and sense of overwhelm. As a mom, it can be hard to keep up with everything, so any strategies to help maintain a peaceful mindset are greatly welcome!
It's the little things that make a big difference, like taking that moment to breathe deeply.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
As moms, we're constantly managing so many tasks that taking time to reset with mindfulness is often the last thing on our minds (no pun intended!). But those very moments are when we need it most--it's like a battery recharge for our mind! I'm definitely guilty of letting self-care slip, so hearing everyone's reminders and strategies is helpful.
We're often too engrossed with tending to our little ones' needs that we forget the importance of taking care of ourselves, so it's crucial to remember and remind each other of these mindfulness practices!

It's amazing how focusing on our breaths can help us re-center especially when we feel anxiety creeping in - it's like an emotional anchor! I also like the idea of visualizing each breath as a wave that crests and fades - this helps calm me down during particularly stressful moments. Does this technique resonate with any of you moms?

As moms, we're constantly managing so many tasks that taking time to reset with mindfulness is often the last thing on our minds (no pun intended!). But those very moments are when we need it most--it's like a battery recharge for our mind! I'm definitely guilty of letting self-care slip, so hearing everyone's reminders and strategies is helpful.
It sure is refreshing to hear all these honest motherhood stories and the mindfulness practices that help manage the chaos. I agree that taking time for yourself as a mom is paramount amidst the non-stop demands of motherhood, but it's often easier said than done!

Reactions: wellness
As much as mindfulness can help us recenter and recharge, seeking professional help when feeling overwhelmed should also be encouraged because, as mothers, we cannot always do it all ourselves.
It takes courage to admit when we need more help than what mindfulness alone can provide. Professional support can be instrumental in managing the intricacies of our mental health.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
That's a great addition! while mindfulness is a great tool to have, seeking professional help is a sign of strength and self-care, which is so important for us moms. Sometimes, our mental load can become overwhelming, and having that extra support can make a huge difference in managing our emotions and perspectives.

There are many apps that can help us get started on mindfulness. They are especially helpful because the guided sessions can teach beginners like me the fundamentals, and even experienced practitioners can benefit from them too! A few well-love ones include Calm, Ten Percent Happier, and Headspace. The app insight timer is also a great one to check out with various free meditations and sleep stories.
there's an app for everything these days, including mindfulness! These apps are a wonderful gateway for newcomers to explore and veteran practitioners to delve deeper into mindful practices. I'd also recommend seeking recommendations from friends who may have first-hand experience with them too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu