• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-saving Parenting Tips

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we constantly juggle a million things and often need some creative solutions to get through the day.

Do you have any life-saving parenting tips that have gotten you through those frazzled moments? They could be simple hacks or even little tricks that make your parenting journey easier, fun or more efficient! Share them here!

As parents, we constantly juggle a million things and often need some creative solutions to get through the day.

Do you have any life-saving parenting tips that have gotten you through those frazzled moments? They could be simple hacks or even little tricks that make your parenting journey easier, fun or more efficient! Share them here!
Having a quick bag of tricks is an essential life-saving parenting tip that I swear by. Stocked with treats, small toys, and distractions like bubble wands or colored markers, it comes to the rescue during meltdowns or fidgety moments, especially when out and about.

Another one is keeping an activity board at home, a giant cardboard covered with layers of glue and glitter where projects are in progress - a permanent, always-there rainy-day activity for my little ones. Keeps 'em busy while I attend to other priorities, knowing they're safely occupied without the day sliding into screen time.

And last one - mealtimes become a lot easier with themed picnics! Whether it's a bear picnic or a princess feast, setting up a themed meal is a fun way to encourage finicky eaters to try new foods and make mealtime an adventure.

They're my go-to life rafts on those drown-in-chaos parenthood days; hope you guys have some good ones too!

Reactions: wellness and nature

When things get frazzled, I find having a go-to list of family-friendly restaurants or eateries that offer quick bites helps to ease those hangry moments and keeps the peace. Another lifesaver is keeping an emergency bag stashed in the car with snacks, water, and entertainment for the kids - a real sanctuary when out and about!

Having a few handy, inexpensive items in your mom bag can be a real saver! Think stickers, small notebooks and pencils for some quiet time, wet wipes (of course), and ziplock bags to keep soggy items contained. You’ll be every parent’s hero!

Also, learning some basic sign language helps too - my kids and I picked up the signing for "eat", "drinking", "finish", "more" and it helped us so much when they were too young to talk but wanted something at a playground or in a restaurant. It's a life saver till they're old enough to verbalise clearly!

Reactions: eternity

When I need to get some quick quiet time, I'd pop on a kids' yoga or stretching video for my girl. It's a lifesaver when I need a much-needed break to attend to some urgent work or make dinner without her constantly needing my attention.

Also, keeping an easily accessible 'busy bag' filled with simple art and craft supplies is a great way to keep the little ones occupied. You can quickly grab it when you need time to finish chores or cook without worries of them getting into mischief while you're busy.

Reactions: musical

Don't try to be their best friend; it's a trap that leads to chaos and an ineffective power dynamic. Set clear boundaries and high expectations, and you'll have fewer headaches in the long run. Also, learn the difference between a phase and a permanent character trait; your kid might be extra moody teen right now, but that doesn't mean they're born that way.

Having a quick bag of tricks is an essential life-saving parenting tip that I swear by. Stocked with treats, small toys, and distractions like bubble wands or colored markers, it comes to the rescue during meltdowns or fidgety moments, especially when out and about.

Another one is keeping an activity board at home, a giant cardboard covered with layers of glue and glitter where projects are in progress - a permanent, always-there rainy-day activity for my little ones. Keeps 'em busy while I attend to other priorities, knowing they're safely occupied without the day sliding into screen time.

And last one - mealtimes become a lot easier with themed picnics! Whether it's a bear picnic or a princess feast, setting up a themed meal is a fun way to encourage finicky eaters to try new foods and make mealtime an adventure.

They're my go-to life rafts on those drown-in-chaos parenthood days; hope you guys have some good ones too!
Those are some fun and simple tips, which I'm sure many parents will find useful!

I'd share a couple of my go-tos which might be helpful for newer parents especially:

1. Babywearing: It's an absolute godsend for me whenever we go out, especially in crowded places or when navigating public transport with a cranky toddler. It leaves your hands free and your child snug and comforted. Plus, it's a lifesaver when you're running errands and don't have a stroller.

2. 'Shh'ing': This one I learned from an elderly relative and it's surprisingly effective! When your little one is having a meltdown, simply make a deep "shhh" sound close to their ear. The sudden and soft sound can help calm them down and distract them from their tantrum, and buy you some time to figure out the issue.

3. Sticker rewards: Keeping a book of sticker rewards for good behavior is an encouragement for my kiddo to behave, especially when we need to get through tedious chores or errands. They're small but meaningful incentives that help make parenting a little easier.

There's no one-size-fits-all with parenting tips, but these might be some fun additions to the bag of tricks other parents have!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wellness
When things get frazzled, I find having a go-to list of family-friendly restaurants or eateries that offer quick bites helps to ease those hangry moments and keeps the peace. Another lifesaver is keeping an emergency bag stashed in the car with snacks, water, and entertainment for the kids - a real sanctuary when out and about!
Having a stash of reusable bags in the boot of my car has saved many a days where I forgot to pack groceries bags. I also keep a portable stroller fan in there which comes in extremely handy during our hot and humid weather.

Reactions: mamamia

Having a bag of time-saving tricks up your sleeve is a smart move! Theming mealtimes is a clever way to make eating an adventure; I'll suggest a camp-themed meal - complete with torches and 'bug meals' - to my kids tonight!

Any other quick thinking life rafts you guys use would be great to hear about!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

Having a grab-and-go bag stocked with snacks is a brilliant idea! I also love the activity board concept - a low-prep, mess-free, yet engaging activity for the kids.

My personal go-to hack is keeping a collection of cheap, small, and compact toys, perfect for rewarding good behavior or as a quick distraction during meltdowns. Think mini cars, little dolls, or play figures. I keep them in my purse, and they've saved many errands and grocery trips!

Another favorite is turning mundane household chores into a game - the "Dirty Clothes Dance Party" makes tidying up laundry heaps more fun. My kiddo 'dances' to some silly tunes while picking up and sorting laundry. It's adorable, gets the job done, and teaches responsibility, too!

What creative solutions do you have up your sleeve for those demanding tantrum moments?

Reactions: musical

Themed picnics sound like a wonderful way to make mealtimes exciting and foster creativity! My son can be rather fussy about food, so I'll definitely be giving this a shot.

My life-saver is keeping a stock of inexpensive, compact toys and treats, perfect for rewarding good behavior or as a distraction technique. Think small cars, miniature puzzles, or sticker sheets. They come in handy especially during tantrum-prone situations like grocery trips or restaurant visits.

I also rely on a arsenal of sensory play ideas for at home, like slime, kinetic sand, and art supplies that encourage independent play. These are great for developing senses and keeping my little one entertained while I tend to his younger cousin.

Anything to keep the peace and make life more enjoyable, right? :)

Having a bag of treats and toys is a handy tip, especially for keeping little ones entertained when you're out and about! Having a backup stock of entertainment ensures the kids are engaged and saves us parents from the dreaded meltdowns.

An activity board is a great sensory play idea for toddlers too - a great way to develop their motor skills while having fun! We can never go wrong with a spot of glue and glitter, right?

I like the picnic idea too - a fun way to make mundane mealtimes an exciting adventure and a good way to keep the little palates happy and open to new food ideas.

These are great, simple yet effective parenting hacks! Any others you guys swear by? It's so helpful to have this repertoire of tricks up our sleeves!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
That's a really good one! An emergency kid bag is something every parent should have!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Having a well-stocked pantry is another of my hacks - filled with easy-to-prepare, nutritious meals and snacks that can be whipped up quickly. It ensures we always have something to tide us over and avoid hanger attacks!

I also second keeping an entertainment stash for the car -- a real saviour during unexpected traffic jams or detours!

Having a bag of tricks is a creative and fun way to manage those tricky parenting moments! It's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve. I also like the activity board idea for some indoor peace and quiet.

My go-to life hack is keeping a stock of washable, non-toxic finger paints in the pantry. When the kids are antsy or fidgety, especially on rainy days, I break out the paints and let them go wild on the kitchen table. It's a surefire way to keep them occupied while keeping the mess contained, and the cleanup is easy too - win-win!

I also agree with the food adventures theme. Making meal times exciting encourages picky eaters to explore new tastes and textures. Adding an element of playfulness to mealtimes can make a huge difference!

What other little hacks do you guys use to keep your sanity intact?

My magic trick is turning household chores into games with points and rewards!boring, tedious tasks like folding laundry become "Folding Championships" with exciting finals. Also turns out cheaper than paying kids allowance for something they should do as part of the family anyway.

My parenting trick is having an easily accessible 'busy box' stashed away with simple craft supplies like colored cardboard rolls, Google eyes, pipecleaners, and glue. I pull it out when I need some uninterrupted time to prep meals or when my daughter needs an engaging activity. It's a life-saver during those endless 'I'm bored' whines and encourages open-ended creative play!

Having a stash of instant, child-pleasing activities is a great tip - I've found that keeping a box of dress up clothes and some face paints also does the trick to keep the kids entertained when their energy levels are flagging. Not original, but a tried and tested classic! Also agree with the meal theming - works like a charm on lazy days! Any other creative solutions people have used?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and koala
That's a smart one! The in-car survival kit saves the day (and the evening) I'm sure many parents would relate to your tips!

Having a restaurant backup is a great idea! It's amazing how hungry kids can get suddenly and throwing in some themed meals at home as a fun, interactive activity is a clever way to engage picky eaters.

An emergency bag sounds like every parent's dream! Snacks are a must-have when heading out, and I usually toss in a small toy or two for added entertainment. Keeping the kids occupied while saving our sanity - genius!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu