• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy - parenting tips and tricks!

Scavenger hunts are a genius idea! They're fun, keep the little ones occupied, and can buy you some valuable time. I like how you've got a dedicated drawer of items for this - very sneaky!
I've also heard of parents creating a "sensory bin" for their toddlers, which is basically a large tub filled with different textures and objects for kids to explore and play with. Some items could include rice, lentils, bubbles, pom poms, etc. Anything that's interesting to touch and interact with and safe for little ones to handle. This could also buy you some hands-free time for various tasks around the house!

Do you think this could work well in the car too, or would it be a mess waiting to happen?

Scavenger hunts are a genius idea! They're fun, keep the little ones occupied, and can buy you some valuable time. I like how you've got a dedicated drawer of items for this - very sneaky!
That's an interesting tip about the scavenger hunt! It sounds like a good way to keep kids entertained indoors when there's terrible weather outside too. Melissa suggested having a basket of emergency snacks in the car - do you have any recommendations for easy, portable snacks that aren't messy and can be eaten on the go? Also, how long does a scavenger hunt usually keep your daughter engaged? Do you think this would work with an active 2-year-old as well?

Great ideas! Those little kits can be lifesavers indeed!
Having experienced both ends of the spectrum - quiet and chaotic car rides - I know that having some tricks up your sleeve makes all the difference. Keeping a small, simple toy or two in the car is definitely helpful for those unexpected loud crying moments, and I second keeping a survival kit for moms; you never know what you might need!

That's a clever idea to keep some Duplo in the car! My boy would love that too. Thanks for sharing! I also keep a first aid kit in my bag; it's always comforting to have one at hand, isn't it?
The LEGO duplex is a great way to add some excitement to any car ride! It's amazing how something so small can make long journeys more manageable, or even the inevitable wait at the dentist's chambered. Being prepared with little tricks like these can make all the difference in keeping boredom at bay.

What are some of the items in your first aid kit? Abide by a take-only-what-you-need policy or do you have an extensive selection for emergencies?

• Love
Reactions: luciana
That sounds like a great idea! I'm all for anything that helps with the daily breakfast and lunch grind. prepping ahead also ensures the kids eat healthy and balanced meals, which can be harder to guarantee when rushed or dining out.

Do you have specific foods that you prep ahead? Or does your meal prep change weekly?
I usually cook up a big batch of hearty soups or stews - think minestrone or chicken soup with plenty of veggies and beans - and portion them out into individual servings for my husband and me. For the kids, I keep their favorites on hand: meatballs, fried rice, and steamed broccoli are often a hit. These can be easily defrosted and heated up, or even eaten cold in a pinch.

I also like to bake muffins in advance and freeze them. They make a quick and nutritious breakfast or lunch alongside some fruit. My daughter enjoys helping me prepare the muffin batter, and it's an easy way to sneak in some hidden vegetables! I find that changing up the type of muffins keeps things interesting: zucchini, banana, and blueberry are some of our favorites.

As for snacks, I keep them mostly healthy and am always experimenting. Trail mix is a current favorite - the kids enjoy helping put together the mixes with different nuts, cranberries, and chocolates. I also keep homemade fruit leather and rice balls on hand, which the baby loves to munch on.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana
That sounds like a great way to save time and sanity during busy mornings! Preparing meals ahead of time is such a lifesaver, especially for working parents. I also agree with your other tips; labelling items with a dry erase marker is a handy trick to keep things organised, and having emergency stash snacks is a hungry tot's best friend!
I like how you mentioned that meal prepping ensures healthier meals for the kids because it really does make a difference. Being tired and hungry is definitely not a good combination when you have hungry mouths to feed too!

My breakfast and lunch prep changes weekly, mainly due to my husband's and son's preferences. But some constants are oatmeal and sandwiches (for cold cuts, at least that's assembled the night before). I also like to include a variety of fruits and veggies for a quick and healthy snack, which they can help themselves to throughout the day. Preparing some hard-boiled eggs or overnight oats is another handy breakfast option.

For mealtimes, it's mostly Chinese home cooking with some Western fusion thrown in, so lots of rice and vegetables, with varying proteins. I pick three dishes that can be frozen and reheated without losing too much taste or texture - think stews, soups, and dishes with sauces. We also usually have a family meal on Sundays, which the three of us prep together - it's become a nice bonding session for dad to have some hands-on time too!

That's a great idea to have a go-to bag of tricks! I'm sure many parents will find that helpful, especially with fussy little ones who get bored easily.
Haha, yes indeed! It's always good to be prepared with a few time-tested tricks up our sleeves.. and a spare pacifier doesn't hurt either!

• Wow
Reactions: cissy
Having a few different bags stashed away - one for the car, the stroller, and my personal bag - never fails me! In each bag, I keep a supply of stickers, small pads, and pencils for some quick, easy, and mess-free entertainment.
That's a smart move to have a couple of well-stocked mummy emergency kits! Stickers are definitely a crowd pleaser with the little ones, and portable and mess-free activities are a godsend when we need some calm and focus. I love how thoughtful your kit is!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu