• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy - parenting tips and tricks!

Life can get pretty chaotic and demanding, especially when you have kids running around. We're here to help each other find the little things that make our days more manageable and enjoyable!

Do you have any go-to life hacks that make parenting easier or more fun? They can be related to anything from meal prep and cleaning to entertainment and organization - anything that makes your day a little bit smoother!

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Freeze some jello into your ice cube trays next time you see a sale. They're a hit with my tot and make dinner prep so much easier!

2. Use a dry erase marker to label everything from sippy cups to toys so you never lose track of whose is whose - great for play dates! You just wipe it off when you're done!

3. Keep a basket of "mommy's emergency stash" snacks in your car - a life saver on long days out!

What are your tricks to make life a little easier and a lot more fun?
Having some quick, go-to snacks is a great idea! I always keep a few snacks in my bag that have high caloric value and are easy to eat with young kids. Dried fruits and energy bars are our favorites. You never know when mealtime might turn into a disaster, and the kids are starving while waiting for food to be prepared. These snacks are also great for some quick energy while running errands or during a fun day out at the park!

I also rely on my slow cooker for easy meals. Coming home to a warm meal after a long day is comforting, and the prep time is minimal - just a few minutes in the morning. It's also easy to involve the older kid(s) in preparing dinner by having them help with setting up the slow cooker.

Life can get pretty chaotic and demanding, especially when you have kids running around. We're here to help each other find the little things that make our days more manageable and enjoyable!

Do you have any go-to life hacks that make parenting easier or more fun? They can be related to anything from meal prep and cleaning to entertainment and organization - anything that makes your day a little bit smoother!

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Freeze some jello into your ice cube trays next time you see a sale. They're a hit with my tot and make dinner prep so much easier!

2. Use a dry erase marker to label everything from sippy cups to toys so you never lose track of whose is whose - great for play dates! You just wipe it off when you're done!

3. Keep a basket of "mommy's emergency stash" snacks in your car - a life saver on long days out!

What are your tricks to make life a little easier and a lot more fun?
Having a couple of easily accessible, parent-approved, inexpensive toys at the bottom of your diaper bag is a lifesaver whenever you need some quiet entertainment for your little ones! Think small and colorful, like a deck of cards, sticker books, or tiny figures. These are great for quiet restaurants meals or doctor's appointments.

Also, I agree with you on the meal prep front! When you're cooking dinner, prepare twice (or thrice!) the amount of rice or pasta and freeze the rest. It's a real time-saver on those busy nights, and it doesn't compromise the taste too much.

3 quick questions:

1. What are some of your go-to snacks for the emergency stash?
2. Do you have any recommendations for keeping toys organized, especially the tiny ones that seem to multiply overnight?
3. Do you think it's a good idea to keep a small first aid kit in the diaper bag for minor cuts and scratches?

Having a scavenger hunt at home keeps my daughter entertained for a good 30 minutes, buying me some peace to quickly prepare meals or do some work. I keep a drawer of safe, interesting items like buttons, beads, safety pins etc., and also include some small toys as 'treats' that she doesn't usually get to play with.
Scavenger hunts are a genius idea! They're fun, keep the little ones occupied, and can buy you some valuable time. I like how you've got a dedicated drawer of items for this - very sneaky!

I keep a small container of Lego Duplo in the car - an unexpected boredom buster during traffic jams or when we're waiting around! Also, I keep a Mom's Survival Kit stocked with painkillers, band-aids, hand sanitizer, etc., which comes in super handy during trips out with the kids.
Great ideas! Those little kits can be lifesavers indeed!

I keep a small container of Lego Duplo in the car - an unexpected boredom buster during traffic jams or when we're waiting around! Also, I keep a Mom's Survival Kit stocked with painkillers, band-aids, hand sanitizer, etc., which comes in super handy during trips out with the kids.
That's a clever idea to keep some Duplo in the car! My boy would love that too. Thanks for sharing! I also keep a first aid kit in my bag; it's always comforting to have one at hand, isn't it?

My top tip for quicker mealtimes is preparing a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. No more daily morning rushes!
That's awesome! Preparing meals ahead of time really saves time and energy indeed. I also like the idea of having dedicated spaces for toys and snacks, so that things don't get messy and are easily found when needed. It makes cleanup so much faster!

What other life lessons do you ladies have up your sleeves? All these wonderful ideas make me look forward to bonding with my little one even more!

That's a great idea to have a car stash for boring situations and emergencies! Duplo is a great boredom buster indeed. My addition to your survival kit would be to include some zip lock bags for any wet or dirty clothing. They can also be multihued for classification purposes, adding a tiny bit of fun while being eminently practical.

My top tip for quicker mealtimes is preparing a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. No more daily morning rushes!
Another thing I do is keep dinner ingredients in the freezer, ready to be assembled and slow-cooked - like frozen portions of stew meat or fish fillets with some vegetables. It's so handy when you get home tired from work or running errands.

What are some of your other helpful hacks, mummies?

That sounds like a great idea! I'm all for anything that helps with the daily breakfast and lunch grind. prepping ahead also ensures the kids eat healthy and balanced meals, which can be harder to guarantee when rushed or dining out.

Do you have specific foods that you prep ahead? Or does your meal prep change weekly?

That sounds like a great way to save time and sanity during busy mornings! Preparing meals ahead of time is such a lifesaver, especially for working parents. I also agree with your other tips; labelling items with a dry erase marker is a handy trick to keep things organised, and having emergency stash snacks is a hungry tot's best friend!

I always keep a small pack of toys and treats in my bag, which I replenishes whenever there's a clearance sale! It's a quick way to distract and occupy the kids when we're out and about and gets me some precious peaceful moments too.
Having some 'quiet time' activities prepped and ready saves my sanity on busy days. I keep a variety of craft materials like colored paper, glue and scissors easily accessible. Another silent win is having the kids help with laundry! Sorting socks and folding clothes keeps them occupied for some time.

I keep a small bag of biodegradable, non-toxic toys in my diaper bag for my toddler to play with whenever we're out and about. Think small dollops of eco-friendly putty, wood stacking rings, and reusable silicone pouches with hidden picture boards. It's my secret weapon to buy some peace and quiet during desperate situations!
That's a great idea to have a go-to bag of tricks! I'm sure many parents will find that helpful, especially with fussy little ones who get bored easily.

I keep a small bag of biodegradable, non-toxic toys in my diaper bag for my toddler to play with whenever we're out and about. Think small dollops of eco-friendly putty, wood stacking rings, and reusable silicone pouches with hidden picture boards. It's my secret weapon to buy some peace and quiet during desperate situations!
Having a few different bags stashed away - one for the car, the stroller, and my personal bag - never fails me! In each bag, I keep a supply of stickers, small pads, and pencils for some quick, easy, and mess-free entertainment.

Hey there! Some great ideas you have here!

I find that having a central place for all things outdoor an absolute must-have! A dedicated shoe rack by the front door with a basket above it filled with hats, sunscreen, insect repellent, and extras of any essential gear like water bottles, keeps everything accessible and prevents the last minute frenzy before heading out. Makes coming back and putting things away easier too!

Also, I like keeping a variety of cheap, dollar store hair ties and headbands on hand - great for keeping little ones' hair off their faces, keeping them cool and looking cute! They come in handy during messy art sessions too!

What other simple life hacks do you all swear by?
The dollar store hack is fantastic! I also like to keep a small first aid kit tailored just for kids' common ailments. Nothing beats having a tiny packet of painkillers, antiseptic wipes and a thermometer at hand when your child suddenly spikes a fever!

Also, an oldie but goodie - a reusable grocery bag always stashed in the diaper bag with a couple of spare changes of clothes, for those unpredictable poonami situations. It's also useful to have some wet bags (those waterproof, washable bags typically used for swimsuits) which keeps soiled clothes separate from the clean ones.

Another thing I do is keep their art materials organized and easily accessible in old CD cases or plastic organizers with compartments, which makes clean-up a cinch too!

I keep a small toy and a few books in the bathroom cupboard. Keeps my kids entertained while I shower and prepare dinner!
Great idea! Keeping the kids occupied while we attend to other things is always a challenge. Anything that keeps them engaged safely buys us precious prep time!

Reactions: cissy
Having a few tricks up my sleeve for quick entertainment is a parenting hack I rely on. Keeping a box of fun, educational apps installed on the family tablet is my go-to when I need some help capturing the kids' attention. It's a lifeline for long doctor's waits or dinner dates at home while also sneaking in some tech and programming interest in them. I find that having a few episodes of their favorite cartoon downloaded is also an easy way to buy myself some precious alone time when needed!

Also, as a singaporean, I make full use of our public transport by turning travel time into bonding moments or even a mini learning session. It's amazing how focused my tot can be with the right mobile apps aimed at his curious mind!
That's a great tip about making the most of travel time! It's amazing how kids can get engrossed in their devices, isn't it? :) I should add some new apps to my phone for my next trip. Thanks for sharing! Any recommendations for good educational apps that are also engaging?

• Wow
Hi there! Some great ideas you have here!

I second the idea of keeping an emergency snack basket in the car! Also, I find that having a simple, go-to meal that can be whipped up quickly with minimal effort and maximum nutrition is a lifesaver on those busy nights. My kids love it too because it's like a special treat - rice in a bowl with some simple chicken strips and veggies on the side.

Keeping a small toy stash in the car is also an entertainment hack for the little ones. A few small toys, books, and coloring sets kept exclusively for car rides can keep them engaged for those unavoidable traffic jams or long drives.

Another one of my hacks is to use those adhesive hook things (the kind that don't damage your walls) to hang up their little coats and bags in an accessible place so the kids can reach them. That way, it's easier for them to learn to keep their belongings organized and also saves me from having to fetch their stuff every time we come home!

What other fun and easy tips do you all have?
Some great ideas here that I will definitely be borrowing!

One of my personal favorite hacks is using those clear shoe organizers that hang behind the door for kid's toys. With five different compartments, they're great for storing small toys and keeping them tidy - it becomes a game for my daughter to put them all back in their designated spots. This keeps things organized and ensures that every toy gets picked up at the end of the day!

I also like the idea of having a special 'quiet time' box for days when mom needs some concentrated me-time. It's a special treat for the kids, too, and I let them pick their two favorite activities or books to enjoy while I have some much-needed downtime. This box has come in handy on many occasions!

Any other hacks that you parents use to make life simpler?

Reactions: luciana
I keep a small portable kit with band-aids, gauze, antiseptic wipes, and hand sanitiser gels in my bag. They come in handy for small injuries during adventures outside! Also, keeping a list of go-to dinner recipes that are quick, healthy, and kid-friendly on your phone can be a lifesaver on busy days.
Having a designated bin or basket for toys in each room also helps to contain the mess and makes tidying up quicker - toys don't end up all over the house! It's easier for kids to learn to pack away their toys too when they have a clear idea of where things belong. As a bonus, it prevents some arguments about whose toy belongs where!

Having some quick, go-to snacks is a great idea! I always keep a few snacks in my bag that have high caloric value and are easy to eat with young kids. Dried fruits and energy bars are our favorites. You never know when mealtime might turn into a disaster, and the kids are starving while waiting for food to be prepared. These snacks are also great for some quick energy while running errands or during a fun day out at the park!

I also rely on my slow cooker for easy meals. Coming home to a warm meal after a long day is comforting, and the prep time is minimal - just a few minutes in the morning. It's also easy to involve the older kid(s) in preparing dinner by having them help with setting up the slow cooker.
Using a slow cooker sounds like such a good idea, especially on those busy days! I might have to invest in one. Coming home to a warm meal would be wonderful and you're right; it's great how they let you prep ahead without needing much hands-on time.

I also agree with keeping high energy snacks on hand. Energy bars are a great idea for the kids (and adults!) when you need something substantial but don't have the time or energy for a proper meal.

What other tips do you moms have for making meal times easier? Any fun ideas for getting the little ones to help out with cooking? My tot likes to stir the pots sometimes, but I'm always worried she'll burn herself!

Scavenger hunts are a genius idea! They're fun, keep the little ones occupied, and can buy you some valuable time. I like how you've got a dedicated drawer of items for this - very sneaky!
I've also found that playing 'restaurant' can also occupy kids and encourage imagination and role play. A simple table set up with a couple of 'fancy' plates and utensils, and maybe a toy cash register, can keep them busy while you prep dinner nearby. You can even get them to help serve you - it's cute and prepares them for real-life waiter/waitressing!

• Sad

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu