• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy - parenting tips and tricks!

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
Life can get pretty chaotic and demanding, especially when you have kids running around. We're here to help each other find the little things that make our days more manageable and enjoyable!

Do you have any go-to life hacks that make parenting easier or more fun? They can be related to anything from meal prep and cleaning to entertainment and organization - anything that makes your day a little bit smoother!

I'll get the ball rolling:

1. Freeze some jello into your ice cube trays next time you see a sale. They're a hit with my tot and make dinner prep so much easier!

2. Use a dry erase marker to label everything from sippy cups to toys so you never lose track of whose is whose - great for play dates! You just wipe it off when you're done!

3. Keep a basket of "mommy's emergency stash" snacks in your car - a life saver on long days out!

What are your tricks to make life a little easier and a lot more fun?

Life can get pretty chaotic and demanding, especially when you have kids running around. We're here to help each other find the little things that make our days more manageable and enjoyable!

Do you have any go-to life hacks that make parenting easier or more fun? They can be related to anything from meal prep and cleaning to entertainment and organization - anything that makes your day a little bit smoother!

1. Freeze some jello into your ice cube trays next time you see a sale. They're a hit with my tot and make dinner prep so much easier!

2. Use a dry erase marker to label everything from sippy cups to toys so you never lose track of whose is whose - great for play dates! You just wipe it off when you're done!

3. Keep a basket of "mommy's emergency stash" snacks in your car - a life saver on long days out!

Having a scavenger hunt at home keeps my daughter entertained for a good 30 minutes, buying me some peace to quickly prepare meals or do some work. I keep a drawer of safe, interesting items like buttons, beads, safety pins etc., and also include some small toys as 'treats' that she doesn't usually get to play with.

I keep a small container of Lego Duplo in the car - an unexpected boredom buster during traffic jams or when we're waiting around! Also, I keep a Mom's Survival Kit stocked with painkillers, band-aids, hand sanitizer, etc., which comes in super handy during trips out with the kids.

My top tip for quicker mealtimes is preparing a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches on Sundays. No more daily morning rushes!

I always keep a small pack of toys and treats in my bag, which I replenishes whenever there's a clearance sale! It's a quick way to distract and occupy the kids when we're out and about and gets me some precious peaceful moments too.

A handy app I like to use is one that scans and keeps track of all the kids' books they have, so that I know which stories they have and don't have. It's especially helpful when you're trying not to buy duplicates!

I keep a small bag of biodegradable, non-toxic toys in my diaper bag for my toddler to play with whenever we're out and about. Think small dollops of eco-friendly putty, wood stacking rings, and reusable silicone pouches with hidden picture boards. It's my secret weapon to buy some peace and quiet during desperate situations!

Hey there! Some great ideas you have here!

I find that having a central place for all things outdoor an absolute must-have! A dedicated shoe rack by the front door with a basket above it filled with hats, sunscreen, insect repellent, and extras of any essential gear like water bottles, keeps everything accessible and prevents the last minute frenzy before heading out. Makes coming back and putting things away easier too!

Also, I like keeping a variety of cheap, dollar store hair ties and headbands on hand - great for keeping little ones' hair off their faces, keeping them cool and looking cute! They come in handy during messy art sessions too!

What other simple life hacks do you all swear by?

Hi there! Some great ideas you have rolling! Here are some of my go-to life hacks that make survival easy and fun:

- Meal Preparation: I batch cook frozen meals on the weekends and store them in portioned quantities. My freezer is stocked with baby-friendly foods, from homemade fish fingers to puréed vegetable soups, which makes mealtimes during the week a breeze.

- The 'busy box': An open-top cardboard box filled with inexpensive dollar-store finds - think bubbles, pipe cleaners, coloring books, stickers - that I pull out when I need some uninterrupted time for chores or calls. It buys me some precious quiet time, and the toys are easy to pack away without a fuss.

- Family Calendar: We use a large physical calendar that everyone can see, with different colored markers for each family member. It helps us keep track of appointments and sports events, and the visual cue ensures we don't miss anything.

- Ziplock bags are a lifesaver for travel. I pack them with snacks, and they're great for keeping small toys organized too. They're easy to toss into your bag, and you can even use them to keep damp swimwear separate on your way home from the pool!

- Keep a 'Junk Drawer' well-stocked: This is my go-to spot for all those little miscellaneous items - Band-Aids, hair ties, safety pins, super glue, etc. It's amazing how often it comes in handy and prevents unnecessary purchases when you need something quickly.

- Make cleaning fun: Music is a great way to make mundane tasks like tidying up more enjoyable. We also play a game called the 'Minute Madness' where we pick one minute intervals to see who can pick up the most toys. somehow makes it into a fun competition.

There's no one-size fits all in parenting, but these tricks have made our days less stressful. Plus, they've helped my little one develop some independent skills, which is an added bonus!

What other simple solutions do you guys swear by?

Hi, I'm Fiona, and my parenting hack is actually inspired by your first one! I like to keep it healthy and stock up on frozen berries and canned goods for emergencies. Frozen fruits are great because they're a handy and tasty snack, and also a good filler for smoothies when you realize you forgot to buy fresh produce. Canned fish like tuna or salmon make for a quick and easy meal, and cans of soup or beans are convenient for mom's lazy cooking days.

Another thing that really helps me is taking the time every week to plan meals. I keep a menu board so that everyone knows what to expect, and it reduces the number of times my toddler asks for snacks when he just finished breakfast. Sometimes I involve him in the planning, letting him choose from a couple of options, which also makes meal times more fun!

On the topic of fun, a simple but effective entertainment trick I have is to keep a box of dress-up clothes and old makeup (the cheap, bright colorful kind) around for pretend play. It keeps my kiddo entertained for hours, especially when her friends come over! They love putting on little shows for us parents too.

I also second the use of those reusable sticky notes for labeling! I use them on my daughter's belongings because they're a hassle-free way to mark her things without fear of losing a precious possession at school or elsewhere :)

What other hacks do you guys have up your sleeves?

I keep a small toy and a few books in the bathroom cupboard. Keeps my kids entertained while I shower and prepare dinner!

A good tip for meal prep is to involve the kids! I get my girls to help me chop veggies or fruits. It keeps them occupied and also teaches them a thing or two about food preparation, which I hope will come in handy when they move out someday. Plus, it makes dinner time a lot more fun with music playing and the whole family involved!

For keeping the house calm and semi-quiet at night (a mom can dream!), we implement a quiet time after school. The girls change into their comfy PJs, pack away their school bags and wind down with some yoga stretches or a good book. It helps them relax and also gives me some time to prep dinner without any little ones tugging at my legs!

Having a few tricks up my sleeve for quick entertainment is a parenting hack I rely on. Keeping a box of fun, educational apps installed on the family tablet is my go-to when I need some help capturing the kids' attention. It's a lifeline for long doctor's waits or dinner dates at home while also sneaking in some tech and programming interest in them. I find that having a few episodes of their favorite cartoon downloaded is also an easy way to buy myself some precious alone time when needed!

Also, as a singaporean, I make full use of our public transport by turning travel time into bonding moments or even a mini learning session. It's amazing how focused my tot can be with the right mobile apps aimed at his curious mind!

Having experienced the joyful chaos of parenting young children, here are some of my tried-and hacks that kept me sane:

- Meal Prep Hack: Cook double portions of dinner and freeze one portion for a future quick meal. It's a time and money saver, and a life-saver on those tired, 'can't-cook' nights. Plus, it adds variety as frozen meals can be forgotten and discovered like hidden treats!

- The 'Toy Story' Hack: For toy organization, attach a large plastic bag (zip lock or otherwise) to the inside of the kid's bedroom/playroom door. Place the 'return bin' at kid's height, and teach them to zip their toys into this visible but tucked away space. Less clutter, more fun!

- Artsy Entertainment: Keep a designated art box for rainy day activities. Fill it with cheaper, lesser quality arts and crafts goodies (the kind that don't matter if they get destroyed) so the kids can safely indulge their creativity. No special requests needed, no stress, just fun!

- Outdoor Adventure Kit: Keep a bag packed with essentials like a change of clothes, hats, sunscreen, bug spray, and snacks ready to go for spontaneous park trips. Skip the last minute preparation hassle, and make impulsive outings enjoyable!

A few simple hacks can make parenting a whole lot smoother and more fun! What say you, folks? Any similar or new awesome life-hacks to share?

Hi everyone, I've got a few up my sleeve that makes parenting a little less fraught!

1. Meal prep freezer bags are a time saver. Cook your toddler's favorite meals in advance, divide them into portions, and freeze. You have an easy go-to meal when you're running low on time.

2. Keep a portable laundry basket in the car boot for post-park outfit changes. It's handy for dirty clothes separation, so you don't have to deal with muddy clothing mingling with the clean ones.

3. Have a few 'busy bins' around the house, especially for creative projects or sensory play. These clear containers keep all the mess contained and provide easy clean-up. Plus, you can easily spot what's inside and grab something when you need it!

What simple solutions do you swear by?

Having a designated 'junkmail' folder comes in handy for quick clean-up without having to throw away important mail! It's a great way to contain the clutter and save time on sorting and organizing. You can also avoid the panic of a missing permission slip or library book!

Having a few quick, go-to snacks for the little ones is always a handy tip! I keep some unsalted nuts and seed mix or trail mix in my purse for emergencies - it's a great fill-me-up snack that doesn't spoil quickly and is easy to fetch when we're out and about.

Another hack I find useful is keeping a small bin of age-appropriate toys and books in the bathroom. It buys me some peace when my child needs occupying during her evening bath ritual - she's happily distracted, and it gives me time to prepare her nighttime routine without a fuss!

Having a few tricks up your sleeve can make parenthood a breeze! Here are some of my go-to hacks:

- Keep a stock of cheap, entertaining toys and treats in the pantry, solely for desperate times. These are the goodies that you bring out only when you need some peace and quiet, like during a rainy day indoors or when you're trying to finish an important task. My son is always excited when I bring these out because he knows it's a special treat!

- I keep a reusable shopping bag in my car boot filled with emergency supplies like spare clothes, nappies, milk tents and infant feed if you're still bottle feeding - you never know when you'll need them!

Hi there! Some great ideas you have here!

I second the idea of keeping an emergency snack basket in the car! Also, I find that having a simple, go-to meal that can be whipped up quickly with minimal effort and maximum nutrition is a lifesaver on those busy nights. My kids love it too because it's like a special treat - rice in a bowl with some simple chicken strips and veggies on the side.

Keeping a small toy stash in the car is also an entertainment hack for the little ones. A few small toys, books, and coloring sets kept exclusively for car rides can keep them engaged for those unavoidable traffic jams or long drives.

Another one of my hacks is to use those adhesive hook things (the kind that don't damage your walls) to hang up their little coats and bags in an accessible place so the kids can reach them. That way, it's easier for them to learn to keep their belongings organized and also saves me from having to fetch their stuff every time we come home!

What other fun and easy tips do you all have?

I keep a small portable kit with band-aids, gauze, antiseptic wipes, and hand sanitiser gels in my bag. They come in handy for small injuries during adventures outside! Also, keeping a list of go-to dinner recipes that are quick, healthy, and kid-friendly on your phone can be a lifesaver on busy days.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu