• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life Made Easier

I'm thinking of getting a pressure cooker next - heard they're nifty for quick and hands-off cooking, plus easy cleanup! But slow cookers are definitely up there as one of the best inventions for busy parents.
Pressure cookers are a godsend for fast and tasty meals! The instant pot is also a popular choice these days for time-pressed moms. It's basically a pressure cooker that does it all. You won't regret investing in one!

As for me, I rely on a cheat meal prep method--using my slow cooker! It's so versatile, and I can leave it unattended while cooking tough cuts of meat. The delicious smell of stew wafting through the house when returning from work is an added bonus too. What other handy kitchen gadgets do you ladies swear by for quicker mealtimes?
I'm not a fan of kitchen gadgets but I find that a good old food processor is efficient for whizzing up quick purées and smoothies, which can be a lifesaver when you're short on time (or patience).

Reactions: doctormama
Another thing that works for me is utilizing my time-old "sensory play box." It's filled with different textures and sensory experiences like rice, kinetic sand, and slime, which helps keep my tot occupied when I need some uninterrupted time for meal prep or just a quick breather. This tactic usually buys me at least 30 minutes of peaceful cooking time!
The sensory play box is a great idea - it's like having a secret weapon up your sleeve! The time bought with these creative solutions really makes a difference on hectic days.

Reactions: eternity
it's encouraging to learn these little life-hacks shared by experienced parents. There's comfort and assurance hearing strategies that work for others' families too! I hope this becomes a popular and valuable parenting resource thread too.

Do share more successful tactics for meal times especially, as this is often the most energy-draining part of the day for many parents!
There are some great ideas here that I'm keen to try. I think every kid is different, but it's definitely worth a shot trying these handy tips - I'll start with the sensory play box; looks like an excellent way to keep the little hands busy!

Reactions: mamamia
As for screen time, it's definitely a controversial topic among parents these days. Some downtime with gadgets can be a lifesaver when we need some respite, but there needs to be a healthy balance. I find that using screens as a last resort helps maintain its effectiveness - saving it for emergency situations gives it more impact, like that ace up the sleeve! It's also a good idea to engage our kids in curating their screen time; teaching them mindfulness and intention behind every choice keeps them focused on what they're watching or playing with.
Having a strategy and purpose behind each move certainly makes the most of the screen time allowed. As parents, we want to make sure that every moment counts towards positive growth!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Parenting can sometimes feel like sailing in uncharted waters, so it helps to have a crew of experienced sailors to offer insights.
The little solutions shared here and there do help without requiring much convincing! It's encouraging to hear other parents' success stories.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
As a parent, I think there's no getting around screen time. It's a part of life, and nowadays, many educational apps are so engaging and interactive! I try not to let it become hours of couch potato time, but a little bit of independent play goes a long way in giving me some prep time in the kitchen. Limiting access to just a few trusted learning apps also helps.
I'm all for embracing the conveniences that help us get through our day seamlessly! These modern conveniences make life so much easier and certainly helps us parents have some peace of mind.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I also agree that getting the kids involved in preparing meals is a fun way to engage them, with the added benefit of keeping them busy and exposing them to new food experiences!
Having children help out in the kitchen exposes them to a multitude of experiences - it's a great way for them to learn about ingredients and cultivate an interest in cooking.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I also agree that getting the kids involved in preparing meals is a fun way to engage them, with the added benefit of keeping them busy and exposing them to new food experiences!
It certainly makes life easier when our toddlers are occupied safely and meaningfully while we prepare their meals. We certainly don't want another pair of hungry hands to feed when we're starving! Snacks are a brilliant idea in keeping cranky tot's energy levels stable too.

What other life hacks do you ladies have up your sleeve?

Parenting can sometimes feel like sailing in uncharted waters, so it helps to have a crew of experienced sailors to offer insights.
having a community of parents offering tried and tested advice is a great support system, especially for first-timers. It's encouraging to know that we're not alone in our parenting adventures!

The variety of topics on the forum proves that every parent has different tricks up their sleeves. It's fun discovering these little life hacks!

I also find that using age-appropriate kitchen tools and apparel helps engage our little helpers. giving them their very own miniature pots, spoons, and aprons lets them feel like a real helper in the kitchen! This keeps them occupied and gives them a sense of importance. We can also bond and create precious memories together through cooking.
Routines certainly help, especially when kids are young! Using special cooking gear makes children feel included too - they've got their own 'grown-up' tools, which is exciting for them somehow!

As a parent, I think there's no getting around screen time. It's a part of life, and nowadays, many educational apps are so engaging and interactive! I try not to let it become hours of couch potato time, but a little bit of independent play goes a long way in giving me some prep time in the kitchen. Limiting access to just a few trusted learning apps also helps.
I've also found that having some dedicated, hands-on toddler "jobs" help keep my little one occupied. Simple tasks like sorting laundry or setting the table are their special contributions to our meal preparations and give them a sense of pride and involvement!

It's these little insights that make life easier and a whole lot smarter. Here's hoping more parents share their simple yet impactful tips - it's amazing how a simple suggestion can make such a difference!
It's these little discoveries that make all the difference; each family is unique, so there's always something new to learn!

Having some independently manageable activities is also great for some much-needed solo cooking therapy! I get my daughter to work out her fine motor skills with some bead threading or, her current favorite, painting by numbers.
Each of our creative strategies for keeping the little ones busy certainly makes parenting a tad easier, especially so we can sneak in some focused cooking time. It's heartening to know that many parents are navigating this tricky stage together!

It's wonderful to discover all these little hacks that make parenthood a lot more manageable. It's like having our own secret weapon mama toolkit! Each addition makes life just that much easier.

It's these little insights that make life easier and a whole lot smarter. Here's hoping more parents share their simple yet impactful tips - it's amazing how a simple suggestion can make such a difference!
It's a helpful, supportive community we have here, especially with experienced parents sharing their hard-earned wisdom.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
There are some great ideas here that I'm keen to try. I think every kid is different, but it's definitely worth a shot trying these handy tips - I'll start with the sensory play box; looks like an excellent way to keep the little hands busy!
This thread has certainly been an insightful read for quick and easy life hacks! It'd be great if more parents could chip in their successful meal-time tactics.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Having some independently manageable activities is also great for some much-needed solo cooking therapy! I get my daughter to work out her fine motor skills with some bead threading or, her current favorite, painting by numbers.
It keeps her engaged and provides a lovely sensory experience--a win-win situation all around. I think I'm going to give pressure cookers a shot; they sound like a godsend for quick meals!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu