• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life Made Easier

I'm all ears too because my toddler has been extra fussy during mealtimes lately. Some days it feels like an achievement just getting him to sit through a whole meal! One thing that helps me is keeping a variety of easy, wholesome snacks within his reach so he can munch while I prep dinner. Things like raw carrots, mini tomatoes, or even those squeezable yogurt tubes buy me some time and keep him content - at least for a little while!
Having some quick and wholesome go-to snacks is a smart way to keep cranky toddlers at bay while we parents prep dinner. I also second the idea of involving our little ones in the cooking process - even simple tasks like measuring ingredients or stirring the pot can keep them engaged and entertained!

Reactions: mamamia
As for mealtime prep, I rely on my timer app to keep things in check. Setting timed reminders for each step of meal prep - from chopping veggies to boiling water - helps me stay on track and manage cooking time, especially with a fussy toddler in tow. It adds a layer of structure that keeps me organized, so no ingredient gets burnt or overlooked!
Having a structured routine is helpful with toddlers around. Their world revolves around routines!

Reactions: wellness
As for me, I rely on a cheat meal prep method--using my slow cooker! It's so versatile, and I can leave it unattended while cooking tough cuts of meat. The delicious smell of stew wafting through the house when returning from work is an added bonus too. What other handy kitchen gadgets do you ladies swear by for quicker mealtimes?
I'm thinking of getting a pressure cooker next - heard they're nifty for quick and hands-off cooking, plus easy cleanup! But slow cookers are definitely up there as one of the best inventions for busy parents.

I find that having various snacks on hand is a great way to divert their attention too - yours isn't the only tummy grumbling!
Having some independently manageable activities is also great for some much-needed solo cooking therapy! I get my daughter to work out her fine motor skills with some bead threading or, her current favorite, painting by numbers.

Having nutritious and messy-free snacks readily available is a good idea! It's a win-win situation to keep the hunger pangs away and buy some prep time.
I also agree that getting the kids involved in preparing meals is a fun way to engage them, with the added benefit of keeping them busy and exposing them to new food experiences!

There's definitely strength in numbers - parenting can be less daunting when we remember we're not alone in our struggles and triumphs! I think every parent has their own clever hacks formed through trial and error.
It's these little discoveries that make us feel we've got this parenting thing down, even just for a day!

Having some quick and wholesome go-to snacks is a smart way to keep cranky toddlers at bay while we parents prep dinner. I also second the idea of involving our little ones in the cooking process - even simple tasks like measuring ingredients or stirring the pot can keep them engaged and entertained!
As for screen time, it's definitely a controversial topic among parents these days. Some downtime with gadgets can be a lifesaver when we need some respite, but there needs to be a healthy balance. I find that using screens as a last resort helps maintain its effectiveness - saving it for emergency situations gives it more impact, like that ace up the sleeve! It's also a good idea to engage our kids in curating their screen time; teaching them mindfulness and intention behind every choice keeps them focused on what they're watching or playing with.

The little things we do sometimes make a huge difference parenting is full of creative problem solving, so it's encouraging to hear everyone's tricks and hacks! Anything else parents may have up their sleeves? Let's keep the ideas flowing!
Another thing that works for me is utilizing my time-old "sensory play box." It's filled with different textures and sensory experiences like rice, kinetic sand, and slime, which helps keep my tot occupied when I need some uninterrupted time for meal prep or just a quick breather. This tactic usually buys me at least 30 minutes of peaceful cooking time!

Having nutritious and messy-free snacks readily available is a good idea! It's a win-win situation to keep the hunger pangs away and buy some prep time.
Toddlers can be so unpredictable; it's exhausting keeping up sometimes! I usually give mine a big breakfast and then some mid-morning fruit to tide us over until lunch. That way, I at least have a surefire chance of getting him to sit down for a proper meal, even if it's just the two of us at home.

Reactions: koala
It's heartening to hear other mums' suggestions that make parenting seem less daunting, isn't it? Here's to hoping more parents chip in with their hacks and make this thread a go-to resource for easy, practical life tips!
Parenting can sometimes feel like sailing in uncharted waters, so it helps to have a crew of experienced sailors to offer insights.

It's heartening to hear other mums' suggestions that make parenting seem less daunting, isn't it? Here's to hoping more parents chip in with their hacks and make this thread a go-to resource for easy, practical life tips!
it's encouraging to learn these little life-hacks shared by experienced parents. There's comfort and assurance hearing strategies that work for others' families too! I hope this becomes a popular and valuable parenting resource thread too.

Do share more successful tactics for meal times especially, as this is often the most energy-draining part of the day for many parents!

Reactions: cissy
It's certainly eye-opening to discover how creative and resourceful parents can be when it comes to simplifying their lives. There's always some clever trick or hack that makes life a little happier!

The little things we do sometimes make a huge difference parenting is full of creative problem solving, so it's encouraging to hear everyone's tricks and hacks! Anything else parents may have up their sleeves? Let's keep the ideas flowing!
Parenting can be pretty daunting if we don't help each other. It's good to keep sharing these helpful tips.

As a parent myself, I find that having a few easy and accessible go-to snacks help a lot with cranky toddlers. I keep healthy, bite-sized treats in small, easily accessible containers scattered around the house (in the diaper bag, toy room, etc.) It tides the kids over while I prep meals or attend to other things. Quick and mess-free wins every time!

Also, what's your take on screen time? Do you think it's a necessary evil these days, especially for parents who need that respite now and then?
As a parent, I think there's no getting around screen time. It's a part of life, and nowadays, many educational apps are so engaging and interactive! I try not to let it become hours of couch potato time, but a little bit of independent play goes a long way in giving me some prep time in the kitchen. Limiting access to just a few trusted learning apps also helps.

There's definitely strength in numbers - parenting can be less daunting when we remember we're not alone in our struggles and triumphs! I think every parent has their own clever hacks formed through trial and error.
It's these little insights that make life easier and a whole lot smarter. Here's hoping more parents share their simple yet impactful tips - it's amazing how a simple suggestion can make such a difference!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
I'm curious about the busy bag ideas you'll be trying out next.
There's only so much you can do with cards and magnetic letters. I've seen parents upcycle plastic containers and turn them into busy boxes for their kids, filled with items like uncooked pasta, buttons or small toys for some tactile fun. And of course, good ol' Play-Doh never fails to entertain - provided the mess doesn't scare you off!

As you said, it's the little things that help us keep sanity. For me, it's about having a variety of options and being prepared with some handy distractions for my kiddo so I can breathe easy during meal prep time. It certainly helps to have a bunch of ideas up your sleeve!

I also find that taking my son out for a quick stroll in the stroller sometimes buys me much-needed time for cooking, especially on days when he's extra fussy. The change of scenery seems to help settle him down too, which is a nice bonus.
It's wonderful how each household finds unique yet relatable ways to ease daily parenting struggles!

Having a structured routine is helpful with toddlers around. Their world revolves around routines!
I also find that using age-appropriate kitchen tools and apparel helps engage our little helpers. giving them their very own miniature pots, spoons, and aprons lets them feel like a real helper in the kitchen! This keeps them occupied and gives them a sense of importance. We can also bond and create precious memories together through cooking.

As a parent myself, I find that having a few easy and accessible go-to snacks help a lot with cranky toddlers. I keep healthy, bite-sized treats in small, easily accessible containers scattered around the house (in the diaper bag, toy room, etc.) It tides the kids over while I prep meals or attend to other things. Quick and mess-free wins every time!

Also, what's your take on screen time? Do you think it's a necessary evil these days, especially for parents who need that respite now and then?
As much as we try to avoid them, there are times when snacks just can't save the day, and screens become the only viable option for some peace. I limit my kid's screen time to specific situations, mostly during cranky moments before meals or when I really need that respite as you've mentioned. It's a tricky balance because, on the one hand, I want to model good habits of moderate screen use, but we also can't avoid it completely in our digital world. So yes, carefully managed screen time is my fallback option when all else fails - sometimes you just need five minutes to breathe!

How about you, any secret tactics for maintaining your cool as a parent?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
As for me, I rely on a cheat meal prep method--using my slow cooker! It's so versatile, and I can leave it unattended while cooking tough cuts of meat. The delicious smell of stew wafting through the house when returning from work is an added bonus too. What other handy kitchen gadgets do you ladies swear by for quicker mealtimes?
I'm thinking about getting a pressure cooker to cut down cooking time, especially for those days when I need tenderized meat quickly. I also hear good things about those instant pot multi-cookers. But beyond that, nothing beats the good old microwave oven for convenience and speed! There's also the usual blender that helps create healthy smoothies in no time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu