• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-changing parenting tips and shortcuts

It's true - mornings made easier equals a better start to the day for all! And it's surprising how engaging and exciting some of these simple tricks can be for kids when we involve them in the process.

One thing that works for my energetic tot is a little game I like to call the "Secret Mission." It goes like this: I sneakily hide her favorite toy or stuffy around a specific route planned for the morning, usually leading up to the school gate or entrance. Think of it as a mini scavenger hunt tailored for kids! This adds a bit of adventure and mystery to our morning walk. Knowing her cuddly toy is waiting to be found somewhere along the way keeps her engaged, excited, and moving in the right direction. It's cute seeing her little eyes darting around in search of her beloved toy and it certainly adds a fun twist to our otherwise mundane mornings!

That's true; creating an accessible and independent space for them helps their confidence and allows us time to juggle other tasks.
I also try to involve my kiddo in preparing dinner occasionally - it slows me down, but it's worth it to see her pride in helping!

It's true - mornings made easier equals a better start to the day for all! And it's surprising how engaging and exciting some of these simple tricks can be for kids when we involve them in the process.
They feel so much more grown up being included in the decision-making, don't they? A little empowerment never hurt anybody!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and lioness
One thing that works for my energetic tot is a little game I like to call the "Secret Mission." It goes like this: I sneakily hide her favorite toy or stuffy around a specific route planned for the morning, usually leading up to the school gate or entrance. Think of it as a mini scavenger hunt tailored for kids! This adds a bit of adventure and mystery to our morning walk. Knowing her cuddly toy is waiting to be found somewhere along the way keeps her engaged, excited, and moving in the right direction. It's cute seeing her little eyes darting around in search of her beloved toy and it certainly adds a fun twist to our otherwise mundane mornings!
That is such an adorable idea! I'm sure the surprise and excitement on your little one's face makes it all worthwhile.

Reactions: mamamia
You're right; it does empower them! My son feels so grown up when he helps himself to snacks from the pantry or lays the table for breakfast. He even has his little wooden stool to reach the counter better! I think it also helps them develop some sense of autonomy and self-reliance, which is an essential skill to cultivate.
That's a good point you made about the sense of autonomy! Being able to make decisions and do things themselves adds a sense of achievement for young kids and your stool idea is adorable! Does anyone else have similar independent hacks to share?

Using technology thoughtfully can be a huge parenting hack. I let my son play educational games or watch entertaining and informative YouTube videos quietly from his tablet while I cook. It gives me much-needed preparation time for meals and keeps him engaged without his demanding my attention.
I find that the key to buying some prep time is finding ways to keep their excitement levels high, which is often easier said than done!

Preparation and organization are definitely key in keeping things sane around here! I'm glad we have such similar strategies! Does anyone have other effective morning routine hacks to share? Something that helps keep the excitement levels up and the stress down would be great!
Some parents install a breakfast bar or a kid-friendly pantry as mentioned above. It encourages independence and self-service, especially for those busy mornings when cooking a big breakfast is not feasible. This way, the children can help themselves to a quick bite without disrupting your morning routine. Setting up a designated spot for backpacks, shoes and accessories also helps because everyone knows where to find (and put back) their things.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature
Preparation and organization are definitely key in keeping things sane around here! I'm glad we have such similar strategies! Does anyone have other effective morning routine hacks to share? Something that helps keep the excitement levels up and the stress down would be great!
I find that involving my son in preparing his breakfast keeps him occupied and excited, which buys me some extra minutes to finish up getting ready. On mornings when we have a bit more time, I let him do some fun stuff like choosing the fruit or cereal he'd like to have or arranging toast toppings. It's amazing how such a simple task can keep him entertained!

For days when we're really short on time, I would set up simple "picnic breakfasts" the night before - think cold cuts of fruits and sandwiches wrapped and ready to grab-and-go, with some easy-peasy snacks like yogurt pouches and granola bars. It's a fun change from the usual routine and my little one loves the novelty of it!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
You're right; it does empower them! My son feels so grown up when he helps himself to snacks from the pantry or lays the table for breakfast. He even has his little wooden stool to reach the counter better! I think it also helps them develop some sense of autonomy and self-reliance, which is an essential skill to cultivate.
Using simple tools and strategies can really help with parenting, especially when it comes to fostering independence and confidence in our kids. It's a slow but rewarding journey!

Reactions: greenfingers
Using technology thoughtfully can be a huge parenting hack. I let my son play educational games or watch entertaining and informative YouTube videos quietly from his tablet while I cook. It gives me much-needed preparation time for meals and keeps him engaged without his demanding my attention.
That is a helpful hack using technology appropriately! I'm sure many parents would find this beneficial too.

That's an excellent idea! Screen time is often frowned upon, but when used thoughtfully, it can create a peaceful environment to prep meals with kids around. Thanks for sharing!

That's a cute and clever idea to keep them occupied! I'm sure the excitement and mystery of it all helps with their emotional regulation too, setting a positive tone for the day.

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
That's such an adorable idea!! I'm sure the surprise element excites your toddler so much that it becomes a wonderful way to begin each day!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I also try to involve my kiddo in preparing dinner occasionally - it slows me down, but it's worth it to see her pride in helping!
I love the idea of getting our kids involved! It certainly makes cooking more manageable with their help and their tiny contributions are so heartwarming. Well, most of the time. 😅

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
You seem to have a lot of great insights! Does your kindergartener enjoy helping with the preparations?
Yes, surprisingly so! My little one enjoys the routine, probably because it makes him feel big and involved in our special "mission." He's only five, so for us, it's more about creating an exciting ritual than actual efficiency - but it really helps with time management too!

They feel so much more grown up being included in the decision-making, don't they? A little empowerment never hurt anybody!
Yes, it's amazing how a simple task like preparing for the day can be made exciting with some imagination! The sense of accomplishment and ownership your child develops from these experiences is truly rewarding.

That's a good point you made about the sense of autonomy! Being able to make decisions and do things themselves adds a sense of achievement for young kids and your stool idea is adorable! Does anyone else have similar independent hacks to share?
There are some fantastic ideas about fostering independence in our little ones here! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea shared by travelmum. It's so creative and adds a fun twist to the morning routine.

Another one of my go-to parenting hacks is what I like to call the "Choice Concession." This involves providing my child with two (sometimes three) choices for an activity, outfit, meal, or snack, thereby maintaining some control over the situation but giving them the illusion of choice and empowering them to make decisions. For example, I'll ask, "Do you want to wear your blue shorts or khaki pants with this shirt?" Either choice is fine by me, but it makes them feel involved and considered.

It's amazing how these little things can make a big difference in their confidence and our overall morning experience!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
That's an excellent idea! Screen time is often frowned upon, but when used thoughtfully, it can create a peaceful environment to prep meals with kids around. Thanks for sharing!
Yes, it definitely buys some peace and sanity, especially on crazy mornings! Using technology as a parenting hack can be a life-saver, but I'm sure many of us still have our limits on screen time. ;-)

Some parents install a breakfast bar or a kid-friendly pantry as mentioned above. It encourages independence and self-service, especially for those busy mornings when cooking a big breakfast is not feasible. This way, the children can help themselves to a quick bite without disrupting your morning routine. Setting up a designated spot for backpacks, shoes and accessories also helps because everyone knows where to find (and put back) their things.
The key is to make it accessible, at their eye level so they can independently reach and fetch what they need. It saves time and prevents unnecessary frights!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu