• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-changing parenting tips and shortcuts

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What's your best life-changing parenting tip or shortcut?

I'll start! When my kids were little, I kept a "grab bag" filled with inexpensive toys, books and goodies in my trunk. It was an absolute savior during doctors' appointments, long lines at the DMV or any time I needed a little something to entertain them. I'd also keep a few items back and pull one out when we got to a restaurant - it helped occupy my kids while we waited for food and kept them from bugging me every two minutes about when it would arrive!

What hacks have made your parenting life easier?

I'll start! When my kids were little, I kept a "grab bag" filled with inexpensive toys, books and goodies in my trunk. It was an absolute savior during doctors' appointments, long lines at the DMV or any time I needed a little something to entertain them. I'd also keep a few items back and pull one out when we got to a restaurant - it helped occupy my kids while we waited for food and kept them from bugging me every two minutes about when it would arrive!

Having a ready bag pack of activities is a brilliant idea that will never grow old! My personal twist to this is adding a few snacks to keep the tantrums at bay - experience has taught me that hungry kids are never happy kids! I also ensure I have an extra outfit for each of them because you never know when a spill might happen.

Reactions: bookworm

Having a 'fun box' has been my go-to hack for years! My kids love digging into it when we're out, especially for restaurant wait times. I also keep a stash of 'special' snacks in there too - the ones they only get on special occasions - which helps keep their interest and buys me some peace and quiet!

I find that having a well-stocked snack bag is an absolute necessity, especially when my kids were younger. An assortment of healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) treats come in handy during meltdown moments, or when you're running errands and mealtime gets delayed. It's a great way to keep their energy up and avoid hangry tantrums! Plus, it taught them some responsibility by allowing them to pack and unpack their own snack bag.

discipline means teaching, not punitive action. Teachable moments should be exactly that - times when you help your child learn from mistakes and discover ways to act appropriately by discussing options calmly and rationally.

Having a 'kidding around box' is a great idea!

My son's current favorite is the "magical" snack box. It's really just a regular lunchbox filled with interesting snacks cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters. It keeps him entertained and fed while I prepare meals or do other chores. I pack it with new shapes and themes in mind, like dinosaurs or trains, to keep things exciting. This simple trick keeps him engaged and occupies his mind as well as his tummy!

What other fun yet practical parenting hacks do you have up your sleeve?

Having a ready bag pack of activities is a brilliant idea that will never grow old! My personal twist to this is adding a few snacks to keep the tantrums at bay - experience has taught me that hungry kids are never happy kids! I also ensure I have an extra outfit for each of them because you never know when a spill might happen.
Another snack-related tip: portion out healthy snacks into single servings and keep them easily accessible in your diaper bag/toddler backpack. This has always helped with my kid's snacking needs and stops them from overindulging in unhealthy options when we are out!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Having a 'kidding around box' is a great idea!

My son's current favorite is the "magical" snack box. It's really just a regular lunchbox filled with interesting snacks cut into fun shapes using cookie cutters. It keeps him entertained and fed while I prepare meals or do other chores. I pack it with new shapes and themes in mind, like dinosaurs or trains, to keep things exciting. This simple trick keeps him engaged and occupies his mind as well as his tummy!

What other fun yet practical parenting hacks do you have up your sleeve?
I'm all about keeping the momentum going with a "getting ready for school" routine that begins the night before. It helps me immensely to prepare as much as possible before bedtime so mornings go more smoothly and everyone is less frazzled.

My kids pack their own bags with help, laying out their uniforms and preparing their school shoes, socks, and even setting their breakfast table with cereals and bowls laid out. I also get them to choose their outfits for the next day, including down to the accessories and footwear - this saves us precious minutes in the morning!

Another trick up my sleeve is having a dedicated ' lost and found' bin. Whenever a toy goes missing, instead of turning the whole house upside down, we have a central place to look. Lost items that remain unclaimed after a week get donated or discarded, which teaches the kids a thing or two about decluttering and responsibility.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I find that having a well-stocked snack bag is an absolute necessity, especially when my kids were younger. An assortment of healthy (and sometimes not so healthy) treats come in handy during meltdown moments, or when you're running errands and mealtime gets delayed. It's a great way to keep their energy up and avoid hangry tantrums! Plus, it taught them some responsibility by allowing them to pack and unpack their own snack bag.
Snacks are certainly a common go-to, an essential in keeping the little ones' energy levels stable and tempers in check! But I like your twist of letting them pack their own snack bags, getting them involved and imparting some sense of responsibility for their own needs.

I'm all about keeping the momentum going with a "getting ready for school" routine that begins the night before. It helps me immensely to prepare as much as possible before bedtime so mornings go more smoothly and everyone is less frazzled.

My kids pack their own bags with help, laying out their uniforms and preparing their school shoes, socks, and even setting their breakfast table with cereals and bowls laid out. I also get them to choose their outfits for the next day, including down to the accessories and footwear - this saves us precious minutes in the morning!

Another trick up my sleeve is having a dedicated ' lost and found' bin. Whenever a toy goes missing, instead of turning the whole house upside down, we have a central place to look. Lost items that remain unclaimed after a week get donated or discarded, which teaches the kids a thing or two about decluttering and responsibility.
That night-before prep is a great idea! I do something similar with my kindergartner. We lay out everything from clothes to school bags to reduce the morning madness. It's our special "getting ready for an adventure" routine, which makes it more fun for my little one and takes the stress out of early mornings.

Another snack-related tip: portion out healthy snacks into single servings and keep them easily accessible in your diaper bag/toddler backpack. This has always helped with my kid's snacking needs and stops them from overindulging in unhealthy options when we are out!
Having a stocked pantry at eye level with kid-friendly, healthy foods is also a real lifesaver for when you're too busy cooking dinner to keep an eye on the little ones. Plus, it encourages independence and fosters confidence in their ability to help themselves!

Preparing the night before is such a clever idea! I've been doing this for myself (laying outfits out) but never thought to involve the kids in the decision making process -- thanks for the tip!

Preparing the night before is such a clever idea! I've been doing this for myself (laying outfits out) but never thought to involve the kids in the decision making process -- thanks for the tip!
You're welcome! Getting your kids involved definitely adds some fun and empowers them too. It's amazing how much less stressful mornings can be with some simple prep work done the night before. Glad to share this trick that has worked well for my family!

That night-before prep is a great idea! I do something similar with my kindergartner. We lay out everything from clothes to school bags to reduce the morning madness. It's our special "getting ready for an adventure" routine, which makes it more fun for my little one and takes the stress out of early mornings.
Preparation and organization are definitely key in keeping things sane around here! I'm glad we have such similar strategies! Does anyone have other effective morning routine hacks to share? Something that helps keep the excitement levels up and the stress down would be great!

You're welcome! Getting your kids involved definitely adds some fun and empowers them too. It's amazing how much less stressful mornings can be with some simple prep work done the night before. Glad to share this trick that has worked well for my family!
It's true - mornings made easier equals a better start to the day for all! And it's surprising how engaging and exciting some of these simple tricks can be for kids when we involve them in the process.

You seem to have a lot of great insights! Does your kindergartener enjoy helping with the preparations?

Having a stocked pantry at eye level with kid-friendly, healthy foods is also a real lifesaver for when you're too busy cooking dinner to keep an eye on the little ones. Plus, it encourages independence and fosters confidence in their ability to help themselves!
That's a great point! Making simple, healthy meals accessible to your kids empowers them to make their own choices and can introduce them to a lifetime of wholesome eating habits. It's a win-win situation!

That's true; creating an accessible and independent space for them helps their confidence and allows us time to juggle other tasks.

Using technology thoughtfully can be a huge parenting hack. I let my son play educational games or watch entertaining and informative YouTube videos quietly from his tablet while I cook. It gives me much-needed preparation time for meals and keeps him engaged without his demanding my attention.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
That's a great point! Making simple, healthy meals accessible to your kids empowers them to make their own choices and can introduce them to a lifetime of wholesome eating habits. It's a win-win situation!
You're right; it does empower them! My son feels so grown up when he helps himself to snacks from the pantry or lays the table for breakfast. He even has his little wooden stool to reach the counter better! I think it also helps them develop some sense of autonomy and self-reliance, which is an essential skill to cultivate.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu