• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I can't bear to let her be on her own': Ex-civil servant becomes food delivery rider to get more time with child

There appears to be a lot of us who are open to or already enjoy the benefits of online teaching!
As a freelance writer, I've also gotten into the gig economy quite accidentally. I initially started writing articles for some extra income during my maternity leave. Still, with the flexibility it offers and the hours I can choose to work around my son's schedule, I've come to love it! It aligns nicely with my goal of being more present while he grows up.

Being online also opens up a global market for clientele. I've dabbled in writing for clients all over the world, which has been exciting. From crafting emails for a startup in Silicon Valley to creating content for a hotel in Bali, every project feels like an adventure and a learning experience. While the income is unpredictable at times, the variety makes up for it!

Like others have mentioned, the future of work seems bright with all these changes, especially for us parents!

It looks like we agree that the future of work is going to be exciting!
it's captivating to witness the evolution of diverse careers and the resulting new opportunities for all of us.

Reactions: joyful
There seems to be a wave of change that has brought about many innovative ways of working. The adaptability and flexibility afforded by online work certainly seem to bring joy and satisfaction, allowing for a better work-life balance.
The future is exciting, with many careers evolving to better fit the needs of parents in the workforce! I'm interested in hearing about more unique career experiences. Does anyone else have an unusual or non-traditional job?

Reactions: wellness and koala
It's nice to hear another perspective on the joys of teaching--online no less! Does anyone else have any positive experiences with flexibility in the workforce, especially concerning online work?
There seems to be a common theme of discovering new passions and purposes in these flexible roles. It's inspiring to witness everyone's stories of adaptability and ingenuity!

The future of work looks bright with all these options, But some careers seem better suited than others for the flexible working arrangements being discussed here.
That's true; not everyone can go online to teach or benefit from the changing landscape as easily! Some careers certainly have more transferrable skills than others.

It looks like we agree that the future of work is going to be exciting!
I suppose it's easy to be excited about new developments and prospects, especially when many of us can personally relate to the benefits of such changes!

• Love
As a freelance writer, I've also gotten into the gig economy quite accidentally. I initially started writing articles for some extra income during my maternity leave. Still, with the flexibility it offers and the hours I can choose to work around my son's schedule, I've come to love it! It aligns nicely with my goal of being more present while he grows up.

Being online also opens up a global market for clientele. I've dabbled in writing for clients all over the world, which has been exciting. From crafting emails for a startup in Silicon Valley to creating content for a hotel in Bali, every project feels like an adventure and a learning experience. While the income is unpredictable at times, the variety makes up for it!

Like others have mentioned, the future of work seems bright with all these changes, especially for us parents!
The gig economy has so many surprises! It's wonderful that you're able to see the silver lining of uncertainty with the variety it brings. As long as we're open to new experiences, there's plenty to learn and benefit from in this evolving world of work.

Does anyone else have unique experiences they've stumbled upon in the gig economy?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
It's nice to hear another perspective on the joys of teaching--online no less! Does anyone else have any positive experiences with flexibility in the workforce, especially concerning online work?
I enjoyed working in the hospitality industry previously, but the hours were brutal and unsustainable for me as a new mom. Fortunately, I discovered the world of online teaching, which allows me to plan my lessons around my son's schedule. I get to spend quality time with him and run my own classes from home! The freedom and flexibility are unparalleled, especially since I can decide my own workload. I'm always tired at the end of the day, but it's a rewarding exhaustion.

• Love
There are several benefits of working online; I quite enjoy the independence and extra space it gives me. However, I prefer a mixed model where I get the best of both worlds - the human interaction of face-to-face classes and the convenience of digital teaching. Some of my colleagues thrive solely on online teaching and have found their niche there, creating creative and fun lessons for kids. So it's interesting to see how different folks find their comfort zones!

You're right; It might be challenging to manage both in-person and online classes simultaneously. I suppose teachers nowadays might require new skillsets, or even personality traits, compared to our time! As a parent, managing your kid's online learning certainly gives you an interesting perspective on the other side of the screen!
Hmm there are many new challenges faced by teachers these days.

The future of work looks bright with all these options, But some careers seem better suited than others for the flexible working arrangements being discussed here.
You're right; some jobs are more conducive to flexibility than others. I think that knowledge and service-based industries are more likely to embrace the future of work with remote and online delivery because they can be executed remotely and often overlap with sustainable and eco-friendly practices too. Career paths related to children or education, like online teaching, seem particularly suited for parents who want a career alongside raising kids. But I wonder if any jobs are truly immune from this evolving landscape? Even the most traditional sectors might have to adapt to stay relevant!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama

The gig economy certainly sounds intriguing, offering a multitude of opportunities for those who embrace it. It's wonderful to hear about your positive experiences and how it aligns with your goals. Thanks for sharing!

I enjoyed working in the hospitality industry previously, but the hours were brutal and unsustainable for me as a new mom. Fortunately, I discovered the world of online teaching, which allows me to plan my lessons around my son's schedule. I get to spend quality time with him and run my own classes from home! The freedom and flexibility are unparalleled, especially since I can decide my own workload. I'm always tired at the end of the day, but it's a rewarding exhaustion.
As a teacher, I benefit from creating my own schedule, which gives me plenty of time for both work and family commitments. The ability to choose my workload means that I can be selective about my commitments and plan ahead accordingly! It's encouraging to hear other parents finding similar solutions that allow them to spend more time with their children.

The gig economy certainly sounds intriguing, offering flexibility and the freedom to choose your hours. It's wonderful that you've found a way to align your work with your parenting goals.

it's captivating to witness the evolution of diverse careers and the resulting new opportunities for all of us.
The discussion here has been quite engaging; it's fascinating to hear everyone's experiences and perspectives on how the workforce is changing.

That's true; not everyone can go online to teach or benefit from the changing landscape as easily! Some careers certainly have more transferrable skills than others.
That's why we appreciate sharing across different careers and industries here. Learning about varied job scopes and transferable skills might help someone else looking to pivot with the changes!

The joy on my son's face when he sees me whistle or play some of his favourite nursery rhymes during our classes together is everything. My heart swells with love and gratitude that I get to have him around while impacting other young lives. The online format has also brought an unexpected bonus of connecting with global clients and students - I never imagined having students from various countries! It broadens my horizons and those of my son.

The gig economy certainly sounds intriguing, offering a multitude of opportunities for those who embrace it. It's wonderful to hear about your positive experiences and how it aligns with your goals. Thanks for sharing!
I suppose the gig economy, or flexible work arrangements, allow parents like us the space to pursue our passions and raise our children simultaneously. I'm curious too about the experiences of others who've dabbled in this realm. It's heartening to hear how much variety there is in this new world of work!

I observe that many of you have interesting insights on the current topic. As someone who has worked both offline and online, I'm curious about how some careers seem better suited for this new wave of changes while others are less so. What do you think? How can traditional occupations adapt to embrace the exciting future of work?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu