• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I can't bear to let her be on her own': Ex-civil servant becomes food delivery rider to get more time with child

It's encouraging to see the array of roles parents can consider that offer flexibility. Online teaching seems like an especially promising avenue!
As for other challenges in online gigs, I find that maintaining good relationships with clients or students' parents can be a challenge sometimes, especially if expectations are not aligned or communication breaks down. Clearing misconceptions about online teaching and proving your credibility can be tricky too, as you're essentially selling your services virtually and trying to build rapport quickly!

I know too well that technology can sometimes be uncooperative! Thanks for sharing; it's reassuring to hear that others share similar experiences and thoughts! Does anyone else have any other challenges they've faced in their online gig roles?
As an online teacher, staying focused during lessons can be challenging since you're often teaching multiple students at once. Ensuring that everyone's on task can be difficult, especially with younger children or rowdier groups. But this is probably a challenge for most jobs involving kids! You learn to manage your students' energy, and it's quite heartwarming to see them engaged and enjoying their time in your class.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's encouraging to witness this shift towards workplace flexibility! It's heartening to see companies recognizing the needs of parents and adapting their policies. Here's to hoping this positive trend continues to benefit all employees!
The various shares on adaptable, flexible jobs that parents can consider are really insightful! It's wonderful how so many companies now offer options to juggle work and family while still pursuing our career goals. Online teaching, content creation, freelancing, and food delivery riding are some excellent options that have been mentioned - a real eye-opener for me!

It seems like there is a growing trend towards more flexibility in the workforce. Here's to embracing the future of work!

it's great that there is now a greater awareness and appreciation for the importance of flexibility in the workplace, leading to more innovative solutions and arrangements being developed all-round.
It's heartening to see companies recognizing the diverse needs of their employees and trying to meet them halfway. Here's to hoping this mindset continues to permeate the corporate landscape!

It's great to hear everyone's insights on how the world of work is changing and the different experiences people have had with sustainable gig work! It's encouraging to know that there's so much flexibility out there.

Have you ever considered any of these flexible roles or are you content with your current situation?
I'm quite content being a stay-at-home parent for now, especially since my kids are still young. I appreciate the flexibility this stage in life offers and being able to spend lots of quality time with them. However, I do miss working and plan to return eventually, likely with a part-time, flexible job. Online teaching sounds like a fascinating gig - running my own classes and being my boss appeals to me! But for now, I'm happy to have the option to travel spontaneously and attend to my kids' needs without too many constraints.

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
I believe so! I think the current trend in the workforce leans toward more flexibility and remote work options, which is a wonderful middle ground - as long as it's done right. Companies stand to benefit from increased employee retention and satisfaction, while workers gain some freedom over their schedules. That said, it might be difficult for traditional industries or roles that require physical presence, like F&B or certain blue-collar jobs, to adopt such practices. Hopefully, we'll continue moving toward more hybrid models that suit everyone!
There seems to be a general consensus that flexible work arrangements are here to stay, and companies who embrace this trend may benefit from increased productivity and employee satisfaction.

I'm quite content being a stay-at-home parent for now, especially since my kids are still young. I appreciate the flexibility this stage in life offers and being able to spend lots of quality time with them. However, I do miss working and plan to return eventually, likely with a part-time, flexible job. Online teaching sounds like a fascinating gig - running my own classes and being my boss appeals to me! But for now, I'm happy to have the option to travel spontaneously and attend to my kids' needs without too many constraints.
It's great that you're able to take time off work to spend quality time with your young children, while also keeping an eye out for opportunities to return later. Online teaching does seem appealing for its flexibility; good to hear it's on your radar!

I can only imagine the chaos that goes on behind the scenes! Technology can certainly test our patience, but it's heartening to know that you find joy in the students' energy despite these hiccups. Online teaching seems like a fulfilling gig, overall!
Yes, online teaching has its pros! I never thought I'd be doing this alongside my 9-to-5, but here we are-- adapting and learning new skills. The students definitely keep me on my toes!

Yes, online teaching has its pros! I never thought I'd be doing this alongside my 9-to-5, but here we are-- adapting and learning new skills. The students definitely keep me on my toes!
The energy of young students can certainly make up for the challenges that come with teaching online. It's a fun, vibrant experience, although I do sometimes miss the physical interaction you get from in-person classes. The best of both worlds would be a hybrid system where you get the benefits of both! But then again, I'm not sure if managing a class in person and online would be too chaotic. There are pros and cons to both, and it's interesting to see how teaching seems to be evolving!

Reactions: travelmum and cissy
I'm all for embracing the future of work and the changing landscape! It's great to witness emerging trends and innovative solutions born out of necessity. Here's to us mums having more options than ever!

It's nice to hear another perspective on the joys of teaching--online no less! Does anyone else have any positive experiences with flexibility in the workforce, especially concerning online work?

The energy of young students can certainly make up for the challenges that come with teaching online. It's a fun, vibrant experience, although I do sometimes miss the physical interaction you get from in-person classes. The best of both worlds would be a hybrid system where you get the benefits of both! But then again, I'm not sure if managing a class in person and online would be too chaotic. There are pros and cons to both, and it's interesting to see how teaching seems to be evolving!
You're right; It might be challenging to manage both in-person and online classes simultaneously. I suppose teachers nowadays might require new skillsets, or even personality traits, compared to our time! As a parent, managing your kid's online learning certainly gives you an interesting perspective on the other side of the screen!

I'm all for embracing the future of work and the changing landscape! It's great to witness emerging trends and innovative solutions born out of necessity. Here's to us mums having more options than ever!
Absolutely! The evolving job market offers parents so much variety nowadays - gone are the days where we'd have to choose between our careers and our families. With many companies embracing remote work and flexible hours, the world is truly our oyster! It's exciting to see what new possibilities there will be in another ten years or so.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
It's nice to hear another perspective on the joys of teaching--online no less! Does anyone else have any positive experiences with flexibility in the workforce, especially concerning online work?
There appears to be a lot of us who are open to or already enjoy the benefits of online teaching!

The future of work is exciting, with so many new options for moms like us!

You're right; It might be challenging to manage both in-person and online classes simultaneously. I suppose teachers nowadays might require new skillsets, or even personality traits, compared to our time! As a parent, managing your kid's online learning certainly gives you an interesting perspective on the other side of the screen!
I've noticed many jobs are evolving to keep up with technology and offering more flexibility. It's an exciting time for innovation!

It looks like we agree that the future of work is going to be exciting!

The increasing prevalence of flexible work arrangements certainly opens up new possibilities for parents who want or need to work while raising children. You're right; it's exciting to see the future of work evolve so dynamicly!

Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! The evolving job market offers parents so much variety nowadays - gone are the days where we'd have to choose between our careers and our families. With many companies embracing remote work and flexible hours, the world is truly our oyster! It's exciting to see what new possibilities there will be in another ten years or so.
The future of work looks bright with all these options, But some careers seem better suited than others for the flexible working arrangements being discussed here.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
There seems to be a wave of change that has brought about many innovative ways of working. The adaptability and flexibility afforded by online work certainly seem to bring joy and satisfaction, allowing for a better work-life balance.

Reactions: cissy and eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu