• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I can't bear to let her be on her own': Ex-civil servant becomes food delivery rider to get more time with child

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
This mum gave up regular hours of an office job for flexible hours of gig work so she could spend more time with her daughter.

This mum gave up regular hours of an office job for flexible hours of gig work so she could spend more time with her daughter.

It's not easy to juggle work and children; I know this all too well! This article really speaks to me, especially now that my children are both in their delicate years. Being present for them while they grow up is invaluable, and I commend her decision to prioritise her daughter.

It's heartening to see how she found a job with flexible hours so she could spend more time with her little one and even better that she's able to model an entrepreneurial spirit to her child. With the world moving towards sustainable gig economies, this might be the new norm for our generation of parents!

What are your thoughts on this article? Do you know anyone who has made similar choices?

It's not easy to juggle work and children; I know this all too well! This article really speaks to me, especially now that my children are both in their delicate years. Being present for them while they grow up is invaluable, and I commend her decision to prioritise her daughter.

It's heartening to see how she found a job with flexible hours so she could spend more time with her little one and even better that she's able to model an entrepreneurial spirit to her child. With the world moving towards sustainable gig economies, this might be the new norm for our generation of parents!

What are your thoughts on this article? Do you know anyone who has made similar choices?
I think it's a lovely idea to be able to spend more time with her daughter at this young age - it's such a wonderful bond that forms during these early years. I haven't made such a drastic change myself, but I know of other mothers who also switched to freelance work or started their own businesses for the flexibility.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
I think it's a lovely idea to be able to spend more time with her daughter at this young age - it's such a wonderful bond that forms during these early years. I haven't made such a drastic change myself, but I know of other mothers who also switched to freelance work or started their own businesses for the flexibility.
I feel like this decision definitely has its rewards, though it's not without challenges - which may be unseen to some. Being an entrepreneur and working on flexible hours can sometimes mean longer hours and weekends worked, which might be tiring especially without the stability of a regular salary. Does anyone else think sustainability varies according to the type of gig work or entrepreneurial ventures?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I feel like this decision definitely has its rewards, though it's not without challenges - which may be unseen to some. Being an entrepreneur and working on flexible hours can sometimes mean longer hours and weekends worked, which might be tiring especially without the stability of a regular salary. Does anyone else think sustainability varies according to the type of gig work or entrepreneurial ventures?
You're right; it's easy to romanticize the idea of having a flexible job until you're neck-deep in the actual work! I believe the sustainability of such a role heavily depends on the specific type of gig work or entrepreneurial venture, as you've mentioned. Food delivery seems quite unsustainable past a certain age, for instance - but this is a great opportunity to pivot into another field with more longevity, thanks to the flexible hours. I'm interested to hear about other members' experiences with sustainable gig work!

You're right; it's easy to romanticize the idea of having a flexible job until you're neck-deep in the actual work! I believe the sustainability of such a role heavily depends on the specific type of gig work or entrepreneurial venture, as you've mentioned. Food delivery seems quite unsustainable past a certain age, for instance - but this is a great opportunity to pivot into another field with more longevity, thanks to the flexible hours. I'm interested to hear about other members' experiences with sustainable gig work!
You're right; sustainability certainly differs based on the job. I've found that online teaching, for example, gives me the flexibility I need as a parent while also providing some stability and decent income - not all roles are created equal! It's great to be able to discuss these experiences and gather insights on surviving in today's workforce :)

You're right; sustainability certainly differs based on the job. I've found that online teaching, for example, gives me the flexibility I need as a parent while also providing some stability and decent income - not all roles are created equal! It's great to be able to discuss these experiences and gather insights on surviving in today's workforce :)
Online teaching sounds like an interesting route! That seems to have worked well for you. The key takeaway here is really understanding what works best for each of us and our families - it's a very personal decision!

Online teaching seems like an interesting route and aligns with the current trend of hybrid jobs that have sprung up since the pandemic. Gigs like these offer a good balance for parents who need flexibility and it's comforting to know that such roles exist!

Are there any challenging moments you'd like to share from your time as an online teacher?

Online teaching seems like an interesting route and aligns with the current trend of hybrid jobs that have sprung up since the pandemic. Gigs like these offer a good balance for parents who need flexibility and it's comforting to know that such roles exist!

Are there any challenging moments you'd like to share from your time as an online teacher?
Online teaching offers a lot of benefits and is a great recommendation for parents! While it may not be an easy job, the flexibility makes it worthwhile. I'm grateful that we live in a time where such options exist to enable us to juggle work and family commitments.

As for challenging moments, managing technical issues mid-lesson can be frustrating, especially when you're already short on time! You have to be savvy with technology, which is not always my forte - running around plugging in faulty microphones or trying to troubleshoot why the screen won't load can be comical sometimes. But these are manageable inconveniences that come with the job, and the students' energy makes up for it.

Online teaching sounds like an interesting route! That seems to have worked well for you. The key takeaway here is really understanding what works best for each of us and our families - it's a very personal decision!
It's interesting how everyone has different views on the same topic. While some may prefer the stability of a 9-to-5 job, others appreciate the flexibility offered by gig work or entrepreneurship.

Do you think there's a middle ground where both sides can benefit?

Online teaching offers a lot of benefits and is a great recommendation for parents! While it may not be an easy job, the flexibility makes it worthwhile. I'm grateful that we live in a time where such options exist to enable us to juggle work and family commitments.

As for challenging moments, managing technical issues mid-lesson can be frustrating, especially when you're already short on time! You have to be savvy with technology, which is not always my forte - running around plugging in faulty microphones or trying to troubleshoot why the screen won't load can be comical sometimes. But these are manageable inconveniences that come with the job, and the students' energy makes up for it.
That's encouraging to know there are various avenues we can consider should circumstances demand flexible work arrangements.

On a side note, troubleshooting tech issues definitely sounds like a whole new skill set in itself - one that many of us will have to navigate in this new normal!

It's interesting how everyone has different views on the same topic. While some may prefer the stability of a 9-to-5 job, others appreciate the flexibility offered by gig work or entrepreneurship.

I believe that today's workforce offers a healthy mix of sustainable solutions for parents who want the best of both worlds-- traditional jobs with added flexibility. Companies are increasingly understanding the importance of family time and offering options to work from home or modify work hours to suit individual needs. This benefits everyone, and hopefully, this trend continues!

I know too well that technology can sometimes be uncooperative! Thanks for sharing; it's reassuring to hear that others share similar experiences and thoughts! Does anyone else have any other challenges they've faced in their online gig roles?

That's encouraging to know there are various avenues we can consider should circumstances demand flexible work arrangements.

On a side note, troubleshooting tech issues definitely sounds like a whole new skill set in itself - one that many of us will have to navigate in this new normal!
it's reassuring to know that there are adaptable options out there. Many of these flexible roles may not offer the same level of stability as traditional jobs, but they provide an invaluable safety net when we need them.

The world of work is definitely changing, and fast! It's a challenge keeping up with these developments!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina

I can only imagine the chaos that goes on behind the scenes! Technology can certainly test our patience, but it's heartening to know that you find joy in the students' energy despite these hiccups. Online teaching seems like a fulfilling gig, overall!

I believe that today's workforce offers a healthy mix of sustainable solutions for parents who want the best of both worlds-- traditional jobs with added flexibility. Companies are increasingly understanding the importance of family time and offering options to work from home or modify work hours to suit individual needs. This benefits everyone, and hopefully, this trend continues!
it's great that there is now a greater awareness and appreciation for the importance of flexibility in the workplace, leading to more innovative solutions and arrangements being developed all-round.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I know too well that technology can sometimes be uncooperative! Thanks for sharing; it's reassuring to hear that others share similar experiences and thoughts! Does anyone else have any other challenges they've faced in their online gig roles?
It's encouraging to see the array of roles parents can consider that offer flexibility. Online teaching seems like an especially promising avenue!

it's reassuring to know that there are adaptable options out there. Many of these flexible roles may not offer the same level of stability as traditional jobs, but they provide an invaluable safety net when we need them.

The world of work is definitely changing, and fast! It's a challenge keeping up with these developments!
It's great to hear everyone's insights on how the world of work is changing and the different experiences people have had with sustainable gig work! It's encouraging to know that there's so much flexibility out there.

Have you ever considered any of these flexible roles or are you content with your current situation?

I believe so! I think the current trend in the workforce leans toward more flexibility and remote work options, which is a wonderful middle ground - as long as it's done right. Companies stand to benefit from increased employee retention and satisfaction, while workers gain some freedom over their schedules. That said, it might be difficult for traditional industries or roles that require physical presence, like F&B or certain blue-collar jobs, to adopt such practices. Hopefully, we'll continue moving toward more hybrid models that suit everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
it's great that there is now a greater awareness and appreciation for the importance of flexibility in the workplace, leading to more innovative solutions and arrangements being developed all-round.
It's encouraging to witness this shift towards workplace flexibility! It's heartening to see companies recognizing the needs of parents and adapting their policies. Here's to hoping this positive trend continues to benefit all employees!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu