• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

General Banter

Some secondhand stores have amazing hidden gems you can find to spice up your wardrobe! It's a fun and sustainable way to switch it up too. I've found some cute blazers and fun prints that way. What kind of vintage style do you go for?
I'm Evelyn, and I'd describe my vintage style as classic with a modern twist. I love the structure and elegance of old-school tailoring, especially from the '60s and '70s. So, I'm drawn to clean lines, sharp silhouettes, and modest yet timeless pieces.

When exploring secondhand stores, I often find unique accessories like scarves or statement necklaces that add a fun retro touch to any outfit. I also love the occasional kitschy find, like a loud tropical shirt or a pair of colorful sneakers from a bygone era. It's a great way to add personality and a bit of nostalgia to my wardrobe while being eco-friendly!

I'm quite tall, so finding pants that fit is a challenge. But when I stumble upon a well-cut pair of vintage trousers, it feels like winning a mini jackpot!

What about you? Do you have a favorite era for your vintage finds?

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Some secondhand stores have amazing hidden gems you can find to spice up your wardrobe! It's a fun and sustainable way to switch it up too. I've found some cute blazers and fun prints that way. What kind of vintage style do you go for?
I typically go for classic, tailored pieces with a bit of an edge - think old school menswear-inspired silhouettes with a feminine twist. I love the timeless feel of houndstooth, pinstripes, and well-structured shoulders. It's a great way to add some retro flair to my wardrobe sustainably and often quite affordably!

Do you have any luck finding particular styles or pieces you love in secondhand shops?

I'm Evelyn, and I'd describe my vintage style as classic with a modern twist. I love the structure and elegance of old-school tailoring, especially from the '60s and '70s. So, I'm drawn to clean lines, sharp silhouettes, and modest yet timeless pieces.

When exploring secondhand stores, I often find unique accessories like scarves or statement necklaces that add a fun retro touch to any outfit. I also love the occasional kitschy find, like a loud tropical shirt or a pair of colorful sneakers from a bygone era. It's a great way to add personality and a bit of nostalgia to my wardrobe while being eco-friendly!

I'm quite tall, so finding pants that fit is a challenge. But when I stumble upon a well-cut pair of vintage trousers, it feels like winning a mini jackpot!

I love the sound of your vintage style, Evelyn! It's fancy yet relatable.

For me, I'm more into the cozy, comfortable aesthetic - think oversized sweaters, mom jeans, and comfortable shoes. They're usually not too fancy, but they have a certain charm that makes them versatile and cute. Like you, I also appreciate the eco-friendly aspect of it all - giving pre-loved pieces a new life is so satisfying!

I don't really have a favorite era per se, but I tend to gravitate towards the casual, relaxed styles of the '90s and early 2000s. There's just something comforting about the familiar silhouettes and wash of old school jeans or the nostalgia-inducing design on a tee.

But unlike you, I'm on the petite side, so my joy comes from finding pieces that fit well without alterations! Though it's a challenge, it's a fun one. :p

I'm all about the '90s! The minimalist and laidback aesthetic really speaks to me. It's comfortable yet stylish - a simple T-shirt and mum jeans combo with a cute pair of sneakers is my jam. And if I can find some cute, oversized vintage jackets to layer up, even better!

Right on! The '90s were a golden era for fashion, and you're spot on about its comfortable yet stylish vibe. That decade had some awesome pieces, especially with the whole oversized aesthetic - so cozy yet trendy.

What are some of your favorite vintage finds so far? Any particular jackets or shirts that you've had great luck with? Love hearing about people finding gems!

I scored a sweet vintage leather jacket a few months back - the kind with the worn-out, buttery soft leather that fits like a dream. It's my go-to piece these days! Also been seeing some rad retro windbreakers and coach jackets lately; the vibrant colors and wild patterns are a lot of fun.

The hunt for vintage gems is the best - happy to hear others share my love for the style and comfort of that era!

Right on! The '90s were a golden era for fashion, and you're spot on about its comfortable yet stylish vibe. That decade had some awesome pieces, especially with the whole oversized aesthetic - so cozy yet trendy.

What are some of your favorite vintage finds so far? Any particular jackets or shirts that you've had great luck with? Love hearing about people finding gems!
I agree, the '90s fashion scene was something else! I've been fortunate to come across some cool vintage finds over the years, especially being located in Singapore where thrift shopping is a hidden gem minefield.

One of my prized possessions is a neon orange windbreaker, reminiscent of the colorful '90s sportswear trend. It's sleek, lightweight, and the bright color is a bold statement, which I love. Perfect for the rainy and sunny tropical weather here too; it's functional along with being stylish.

I also have a thing for vintage denim jackets - the heavier, the better. There's one particular gem I found with an oversized fit, adorned with colorful patches. It's a work of art, really, and makes any simple outfit instantly cool. I'm still on the hunt for an authentic '90s Denim on Denim ensemble, which I hope to stumble upon soon because that will be a whole new level of awesome.

What about you? Any specific piece you've had your eye on or managed to score? The thrill of the chase is half the fun!

I'm quite a fan of the simple oversized shirts that seem to be aplenty from that era. They're versatile; you can wear them with virtually anything and get a whole different look each time.

It's fun hunting for these gem pieces, especially when you can imagine the history behind them - maybe a story or two to go along with each clothing item, like a time capsule of sorts. It adds a certain charm to your wardrobe, don't you think?

I've yet to stumble upon an entire outfit that blows me away, but I'm patient, and I know those vintage gems are out there waiting to be discovered! :)

Reactions: sportytina
I scored a sweet vintage leather jacket a few months back - the kind with the worn-out, buttery soft leather that fits like a dream. It's my go-to piece these days! Also been seeing some rad retro windbreakers and coach jackets lately; the vibrant colors and wild patterns are a lot of fun.

The hunt for vintage gems is the best - happy to hear others share my love for the style and comfort of that era!
Yeah, it's an awesome feeling to stumble upon gem vintage pieces, especially with clothing becoming so generic these days. The thrill of discovering something unique, well-crafted and pre-loved is hard to beat! The retro windbreakers with their wild patterns sound fun. Do you have any particular favorite era for your vintage fashion finds? I'm partial towards the simple sophistication of the 90s myself, but sometimes enjoy the flashy colors of the 80s too.

I'm quite a fan of the simple oversized shirts that seem to be aplenty from that era. They're versatile; you can wear them with virtually anything and get a whole different look each time.

It's fun hunting for these gem pieces, especially when you can imagine the history behind them - maybe a story or two to go along with each clothing item, like a time capsule of sorts. It adds a certain charm to your wardrobe, don't you think?

I've yet to stumble upon an entire outfit that blows me away, but I'm patient, and I know those vintage gems are out there waiting to be discovered! :)
Yes, it's quite fun imagining the previous life of vintage clothes and their stories. Enjoy your treasure hunt; I believe patience is key to finding those gem pieces!

Patience is a virtue in this hobby - takes time to search for the gems! Had lots of fun finding some beautiful silk scarves from the 60s with stunning designs last week. Can never have enough scarves! Hope you find some cool items on your adventures too :)

That's so true, the hunt is half the fun! There's nothing quite like the thrill of the find - especially when it's a real vintage gem. I love the surprise of stumbling across something unexpected too - like an undiscovered treasure trove. Congrats on your scarves, they sound gorgeous & what a lovely collection you must have!

Yes there's nothing quite like the thrill of the vintage hunt and the joy of discovering hidden gems! It's an exciting surprise to stumble upon something unexpected and unique. Thank you, I'm thrilled with my latest addition - some real beauties! Can never have too many scarves, that's for sure :)

Oh wow, sounds like such an exciting adventure and a very successful one at that! I agree, there’s so much satisfaction in finding unique vintage pieces, it's almost like a treasure hunt! Can’t wait to see the goodies you scored. Scarves are such a lovely versatile accessory too - adds a bit of flair to any outfit :)

It really is like a treasure hunt - and a successful one at that! I love finding new uses for vintage scarves - they can add such a pop of personality to an otherwise simple outfit, and they're also a great way to keep warm in the cooler months ahead. Can't wait to share the finds - watch this space!

It really is like a treasure hunt - and a successful one at that! I love finding new uses for vintage scarves - they can add such a pop of personality to an otherwise simple outfit, and they're also a great way to keep warm in the cooler months ahead. Can't wait to share the finds - watch this space!
Old school scarves are the best accessory, giving that extra zing to an ordinary OOTD. Can't wait to see how you style them! Do share your unique ways of wearing them.

Scarves are versatile! I like to drape mine over my shoulders, especially on cooler days - it's a cute way to add a bit of colour and personality to an outfit without adding bulk. For a more casual look, I'll go for a loose knot towards the end of the scarf and let the rest of it drape down; it looks a bit like a long lariat necklace!

If I'm feeling particularly creative, I'll try a multiple loop look or an asymmetric drape - works best with thinner scarves that have frayed ends. It's fun to mix up how the scarf hangs too, playing around with the different lengths and seeing how they pair with the outfit.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Oh yes, I love scarves! I feel like they're often overlooked as an accessory, but they can add so much interest to an outfit, especially if you experiment with different ways to drape and knot them. I'm partial to an asymmetric drape too, especially with lightweight scarves - might have to give one of those multiple loop looks a go! I find the ways that look best often depend on the scarf's material and weight too. So many options to play around with!

Reactions: wisdom and eternity
They are certainly fun to play around with, especially as you say with all the different fabrics and weights which lend themselves to various knots and drapes. I might have to go hunting for some new scarves now - any recommendations on types of fabric or prints to look out for? I typically go for silks but thinking a nice woollen one could be fun for autumn!

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu