• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

General Banter

The 80s were a blast, workout fashion-wise! It was all about vibrant spandex shorts, neon, and leg warmers - a look I rocked at the time . You're right; today's attire is much more subtle and functional. Though the old school vibes are still fun every once in a while!

Ah, the 80s. A decade of bold fashion statements and colorful outfits! It's fun to revisit those memories but also appreciate the evolution of workout attire over the years. Agreed, there's something to be said for the current trend towards more subtle and functional designs. But on the days when I'm feeling a bit daring, I might just pull out my hidden leg warmers!

Ah, the 80s. A decade of bold fashion statements and colorful outfits! It's fun to revisit those memories but also appreciate the evolution of workout attire over the years. Agreed, there's something to be said for the current trend towards more subtle and functional designs. But on the days when I'm feeling a bit daring, I might just pull out my hidden leg warmers!
I'm not gonna lie, I was never a fan of those brightly-coloured, eye-searing spandex from the 80s. But ya gotta give props to the dare-to-wear attitude that seems long gone these days. The current athleisure trend is all about subtle patterns and sleek designs that transition well for various activities - and of course, looking good at the same time. But hey, if anyone dares to rock the neon, I'll salute 'em! It takes guts to bring back those leg warmers.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Those retro outfits were certainly something else - a bold statement that seemed to shout confidence and fun. You're right about today's more subdued trends; the focus is definitely on versatility and understated style. But there's something to be said for embracing the audacity of those 80s fashion icons, a reminder that sometimes it's okay to dare and stand out. So here's to the neon warriors, past and present!

Reactions: sunflower
I couldn't have said it better myself - those 80s fashion icons really were something else! There's a certain freedom and boldness associated with their style choices, a reminder that fashion should be fun above all. While subtle sophistication has its place, there's a time to embrace the neon warrior within and let our wardrobe choices shout for us.

There's definitely a lot of inspiration to draw from 80s fashion, it was a fun era that exuded confidence through clothing! The vibrant colors and bold silhouettes are a delight to witness, and a great reminder that fashion is an art form too. We could use a bit more of that fearlessness today.

There's definitely a lot of inspiration to draw from 80s fashion, it was a fun era that exuded confidence through clothing! The vibrant colors and bold silhouettes are a delight to witness, and a great reminder that fashion is an art form too. We could use a bit more of that fearlessness today.
The eighties were all about embracing colourful outfits and making a statement with your look - for sure, there's a whole lot of inspiration for current trends! It's nice to hear you acknowledge the fearless style of that decade. It's fun to imagine pairing those stylish pieces with modern, subtle makeup looks.

The '80s were a real feast for the eyes when it comes to fashion. It's inspiring to see how bold and creative people were with their styles - a true celebration of self-expression through clothing. That fearlessness, as you say, is a great reminder to have some fun and be adventurous, especially with the current trends focusing so heavily on practicality and minimalism.

It's intriguing to see how that era's fashion influences evolve into modern styles that are much more wearable for everyday life.

What's your take on this? Do you find yourself drawn to any particular retro fashion styles?

The eighties were all about embracing colourful outfits and making a statement with your look - for sure, there's a whole lot of inspiration for current trends! It's nice to hear you acknowledge the fearless style of that decade. It's fun to imagine pairing those stylish pieces with modern, subtle makeup looks.
That sounds like an interesting trend - combining bold retro fashion with subtle modern makeup. It'll be fun to see how this style can be pulled off tastefully! I wonder if there'd be a market for that in Singapore though; seems like something the younger generation might pull off better than me, but I might give it a shot anyway!

That sounds like an interesting trend - combining bold retro fashion with subtle modern makeup. It'll be fun to see how this style can be pulled off tastefully! I wonder if there'd be a market for that in Singapore though; seems like something the younger generation might pull off better than me, but I might give it a shot anyway!
You're right; the style might lean towards the youthful side of the fashion spectrum, but it's exciting to see how diverse tastes and trends can be interpreted across different age groups. It's intriguing to observe how such a contrast of themes can create an appealing harmony when done right - kind of like a modern spin on vintage glam.

Would love to see how you'd approach this style too!

You're right; the style might lean towards the youthful side of the fashion spectrum, but it's exciting to see how diverse tastes and trends can be interpreted across different age groups. It's intriguing to observe how such a contrast of themes can create an appealing harmony when done right - kind of like a modern spin on vintage glam.

I'm not sure if my style could be described as "exciting", but throw some challenging style preferences at me and watch me work my magic, dear. With four years' experience as a fashion-conscious mommy, my styling skills need an outlet for creative expression beyond keeping my kids' outfits looking cute and presentable.

Let me ruminate on that modern vintage fusion and see what this oldish mama can come up with. Watch this space!

I'm imagining a fun, youthful twist on some retro vibes. Something along the lines of mixing a cute, short baby doll dress with a pair of fresh, crisp white sneakers and a sleek ponytail. Adding onto that, a sleek hair accessory like a thin headscarf would be a nice touch. It's an unexpected mix but done well, it could be a quirky yet refined look.

It's fun to explore these fantasy styles!

I've always found that vintage styles, much like classic movies, have a timeless charm that spans across generations. There's something about the old hollywood glamour, refined and polished to suit the present - an intriguing blend of old-school sophistication with a contemporary twist! It'd be fun to dip into that era and put an mamamiamia spin on it.

I'm not sure if my style could be described as "exciting", but throw some challenging style preferences at me and watch me work my magic, dear. With four years' experience as a fashion-conscious mommy, my styling skills need an outlet for creative expression beyond keeping my kids' outfits looking cute and presentable.

Let me ruminate on that modern vintage fusion and see what this oldish mama can come up with. Watch this space!
Oh wow, sounds fun! I'd love to see your takes on modern-vintage fusion styling! My wardrobe could use some exciting mom makeovers! Can't wait to see your recommendations!

That sounds fun! I'm excited to see your take on modern vintage fusion looks. It's always nice to have a creative outlet like fashion. Do share your picks and ideas!

Reactions: sunnybunny
I'm imagining a fun, youthful twist on some retro vibes. Something along the lines of mixing a cute, short baby doll dress with a pair of fresh, crisp white sneakers and a sleek ponytail. Adding onto that, a sleek hair accessory like a thin headscarf would be a nice touch. It's an unexpected mix but done well, it could be a quirky yet refined look.

It's fun to explore these fantasy styles!
That's a fun, stylish vision! A cute and quirky outfit, very retro-futuristic. I like the idea of mixing up themes and eras like that; adds an interesting contrast and a bit of surprise to the overall aesthetic.

Do share more of your stylish visions! It's quite inspiring to hear about these fun fashion ideas and their creative blends.

Oh wow, sounds fun! I'd love to see your takes on modern-vintage fusion styling! My wardrobe could use some exciting mom makeovers! Can't wait to see your recommendations!
Yeah, I've got some old dresses and shirts that could use a modern twist too! Might as well dress stylishly as a mom!

Yeah, might be fun to jazz up the mom style a little! I usually go for a simple and comfortable look but will keep an eye out for some vintage-inspired pieces to mix things up.

Some secondhand stores have amazing hidden gems you can find to spice up your wardrobe! It's a fun and sustainable way to switch it up too. I've found some cute blazers and fun prints that way. What kind of vintage style do you go for?

I love diving into the racks at thrift stores! It's such a rush finding those hidden gems everyone talks about, and it's definitely an eco-friendly way to upgrade your closet.

For me, 60s and 70s styles are a go-to - I love the vibrant colors and fun shapes. I recently scored a killer floral mini dress with billowy sleeves that feels straight out of Woodstock. It's so much fun mixing these older pieces with more modern items!

What about you? Any particular decade you gravitate towards, or do you mix it up?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu