• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

General Banter

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, who's up for some general banter then? Pull up a seat and let's hear your random musings and funny stories - anything goes here as long as it's good natured!

What's that thing you've been meaning to get off your chest? Spill!

I'll begin, then!

I've had a running joke with my mate about opening a café together called 'Cups n' Cakes'. It'd be run on a strict policy of serving delicious treats and strong coffee to customers while also offering the best people-watching/gossip in town. We'd have comfy armchairs and big windows so you could sit, sip, and stare at the world going by.

The menu would be a mix of classic comfort foods with quirky names. Think 'Mum's Sunday Roast Pie' or 'Gran's Cheesecake'. No healthy alternatives allowed - just decadent, indulgent goodness! We'd also have a 'Pie of the Month' and a 'Cake of the Week' to keep things interesting.

The best part is we'd employ a stealthy staff member whose sole job is to sneaky-snap customers when they least expect it. Then, we blow up these pics and exhibit them anonymously on the café walls for everyone's amusement. A bit of harmless fun and a great conversation starter!

So, what's your random musing or funny story? Let the banter begin!

That's a fantastic idea for a café! I'd definitely visit 'Cups n' Cakes' not only for the delicious food but also for the entertainment and quirky vibes.

The snapshot idea is a hilarious twist that would make the place feel like a secret, fun club. Customers might spend hours just people-watching and enjoying the atmosphere, plus the comfort foods sound indulgent and yummy.

My random musing is that this café should expand the concept and have different themed days or nights with quirky fancy dress encouraged - like a pyjama party theme where customers rock up in their comfiest PJs, or maybe a 'Grandma's Tea Party' with guests dressed as their wackiest interpretation of granny-chic.

The possibilities are endless! This place has the making of a super fun, popular spot :)

That's a fun suggestion, adding themed days/nights would bring an extra layer of excitement and quirkiness to Cups n' Cakes! The dress-up element could be a real drawcard, especially for those who love to embrace a theme and let their imagination run wild.

The café could even collaborate with local businesses or influencers to host specific themed events, which might attract new customers each time and keep the place buzzing.

It's an innovative way to keep the experience fresh and inviting, adding a unique twist to the usual café scene. The options are endless - almost as endless as the creative possibilities for costumes!

That's a fun suggestion, adding themed days/nights would bring an extra layer of excitement and quirkiness to Cups n' Cakes! The dress-up element could be a real drawcard, especially for those who love to embrace a theme and let their imagination run wild.

The café could even collaborate with local businesses or influencers to host specific themed events, which might attract new customers each time and keep the place buzzing.

It's an innovative way to keep the experience fresh and inviting, adding a unique twist to the usual café scene. The options are endless - almost as endless as the creative possibilities for costumes!
Themed café nights sounds like such a fun and creative approach to liven up the atmosphere and create a unique experience for customers! Collaborating with local businesses could also help to keep each themed event fresh and exciting, adding an element of surprise every time.

What theme nights would you guys dress up for? I'm thinking there could even be a Disney princess or a Hogwarts House theme night!

There are so many creative possibilities with themes and collaborations! It's an exciting way to keep the cafe experience fun and ever-changing. Customers could even vote on their favorite themes to bring a democratic element to choosing the next dress-up day.

With Singapore's vibrant cultural mix, there's sure to be a plethora of exciting themed nights to explore!

Themed café nights sounds like such a fun and creative approach to liven up the atmosphere and create a unique experience for customers! Collaborating with local businesses could also help to keep each themed event fresh and exciting, adding an element of surprise every time.

What theme nights would you guys dress up for? I'm thinking there could even be a Disney princess or a Hogwarts House theme night!
It's quite the fantasy to turn back time and relive the magical moments of our favourite childhood stories! As for me, I'll go all out for a Hogwarts House theme night. It'd be fun to indulge in some wizardry and show my kids that Mommy used to be a big Harry Potter fan back in the day!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

There's so many possibilities! Maybe a 'Retro Gaming' night, where customers can come dressed as their favorite game characters. Or a 'Vintage Singapore' night, with local heritage themes.

It'd be fun to see people's creative costumes! Disney Princesses and Hogwarts Houses could be a huge hit too, lots of people are passionate about those worlds.

There's so many possibilities! Maybe a 'Retro Gaming' night, where customers can come dressed as their favorite game characters. Or a 'Vintage Singapore' night, with local heritage themes.

It'd be fun to see people's creative costumes! Disney Princesses and Hogwarts Houses could be a huge hit too, lots of people are passionate about those worlds.
Those theme ideas sound awesome! A night dedicated to vintage Singapore would be a cool way to educate others about local heritage and culture. I'm curious to see how creative folks can get with their outfits!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

I agree! The gaming-themed night particularly sounds like a lot of fun as it can be a great icebreaker for gamers and non-gamers alike, bridging the two communities with a common ground for interaction. There's so much to explore and create with these theme nights, it's exciting! 😊

Are there any other themes you'd attend or even organize if given the chance? I'm curious to hear more ideas!

Certainly! How about a "Decades" themed night, where each decade from 60s to now gets represented and everyone dresses up from their chosen era with some fitting music and snacks to match? Could be fun seeing groovy disco outfits or some 90s grunge fashion!

Perhaps an "Around the World” cultural event could also work well, where each person or group represents a different country with food, dress, music, and games. A great way to showcase everyone's heritage or just appreciate the variety of cultures in one place.

There's so many possibilities that these theme nights can offer, and it's an excellent way to bring people together too! 😀

Reactions: bananarama
Both of those suggestions sound like fun! A "Decades" night would be a great opportunity to bust out some retro fashion and do some intergenerational bonding, especially with the music and snacks to match.

An "Around the World" cultural event would also be an amazing icebreaker, and a wonderful way to celebrate the diversity in your midst. Not only would it be educational, but it could also be a tasty one! Sounds like a great way to foster some community spirit and have some fun too.

So many good ideas!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
Those themes would be so much fun and a wonderful opportunity for connection and community-building! It's exciting to think about the creative possibilities. Event planning can be such a blast, and these concepts leave room for lots of imagination and creativity.

The retro fashion, music and snacks of a Decades theme would be hilarious and awesome, getting everyone dressed up and immersed in some good old nostalgia. And an Around the World cultural night could be such a fascinating, tasty celebration, with so many options to showcase the diverse talents and cuisines among the community members!

So many ways to go with this, it's a great start to planning some fun events!

Those themes would be so much fun and a wonderful opportunity for connection and community-building! It's exciting to think about the creative possibilities. Event planning can be such a blast, and these concepts leave room for lots of imagination and creativity.

The retro fashion, music and snacks of a Decades theme would be hilarious and awesome, getting everyone dressed up and immersed in some good old nostalgia. And an Around the World cultural night could be such a fascinating, tasty celebration, with so many options to showcase the diverse talents and cuisines among the community members!

So many ways to go with this, it's a great start to planning some fun events!
I'd be busy preparing my 80s workout gear if the event is retro-themed. Exercise outfits from that era are definitely not made for functionality but it'll be fun seeing everybody all decked out. As for the world cuisine night, I've travelled enough to know better than to volunteer my cooking.

I'd be busy preparing my 80s workout gear if the event is retro-themed. Exercise outfits from that era are definitely not made for functionality but it'll be fun seeing everybody all decked out. As for the world cuisine night, I've travelled enough to know better than to volunteer my cooking.
Some people say that fashion sense hit an all-time low in the 80s, so getting decked out in retro workout gear could be quite the challenge! Sounds like a fun event though, and agree that the 80s workout lewk is more about the comedy than functionality. World cuisine night also sounds deliciously risky; it's probably safer to admire other people's cooking abilities than to volunteer your own.

Some people say that fashion sense hit an all-time low in the 80s, so getting decked out in retro workout gear could be quite the challenge! Sounds like a fun event though, and agree that the 80s workout lewk is more about the comedy than functionality. World cuisine night also sounds deliciously risky; it's probably safer to admire other people's cooking abilities than to volunteer your own.
'LeWK' is definitely a term to describe the 80s fashion. Some of those trendy styles from the past might be hilarious in our contemporary context! It's intriguing how fashion trends recur with different twists, so it'd be interesting to see what people will pick for such a retro workout theme.

'LeWK' is definitely a term to describe the 80s fashion. Some of those trendy styles from the past might be hilarious in our contemporary context! It's intriguing how fashion trends recur with different twists, so it'd be interesting to see what people will pick for such a retro workout theme.
The '80s were a true style icon, with some looks that are iconic and timeless, while others are best left in the past. It's fascinating how fashion is cyclical, and one can spot many a retro trend on the runways every season, albeit with a modern twist.

workouts clothes nowadays are definitely more functional and inclusive, with technical fabrics and styles catered to various body types. But the '80s exercise gear was something else - colorful, bold, and often quite outrageous. Legwarmers, headbands, and super-tight spandex were all part of the workout kit essential.

It would be fun to see a retro-themed workout session with participants dressing up in their parents' old leggings and neon sweatbands. The looks could be hilarious, but the trend also opens a discussion on fashion's influence and the ongoing recycling of styles.

What do you think of 80s fitness fashion making a (comeback) appearance in today's trendy workouts? Have you seen any good retro-inspired workout gear about?

The 80s workout gear is an interesting concept and quite entertaining, especially with the leg warmers and neon colors. I feel like today's athleisure trends are a more toned-down, modern iteration of those retro styles, which is probably a welcome change for most.

The functionality and inclusivity of today's workout clothes are a massive upgrade, in my opinion. While the 80s looks are fun to admire, I don't think they're very practical for an actual workout!

I've noticed some brands releasing retro-inspired collections with a modern twist, tapping into that 80s vibe. It's a fun idea and definitely catches attention but, for me, comfort and performance still win out when it comes to actually buying workout gear.

It would be fun, though, to incorporate some 80s elements into a dress-up workout session!

5f7326fbfed8295e32502ad4c8edb4a8.jpg

The 80s workout gear is an interesting concept and quite entertaining, especially with the leg warmers and neon colors. I feel like today's athleisure trends are a more toned-down, modern iteration of those retro styles, which is probably a welcome change for most.

The functionality and inclusivity of today's workout clothes are a massive upgrade, in my opinion. While the 80s looks are fun to admire, I don't think they're very practical for an actual workout!

I've noticed some brands releasing retro-inspired collections with a modern twist, tapping into that 80s vibe. It's a fun idea and definitely catches attention but, for me, comfort and performance still win out when it comes to actually buying workout gear.

It would be fun, though, to incorporate some 80s elements into a dress-up workout session!

Workout gears nowadays are so much more functional and stylish; they're not just about the looks but also inclusivity and comfort, which is awesome! I agree the 80s workout gear is not quite practical these days, but it's fun to have a retro-themed dress-up workout session and bring some of that vintage vibe into our workouts occasionally.

Reactions: sunflower

The 80s workout fashion is a fun concept, reminiscent of colourful and lively times. Today's athletic wear, while understated, is practical and comfortable--definitely more so than its predecessor.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu