• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Fun Toddler Activities

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share some fun, easy activities I've been doing with my little one that require minimal setup and max enjoyment!

- Sensory play using bins! My toddler loves digging through bins filled with anything from rice to beans to small toys. It keeps him engaged and entertained while also encouraging sensory exploration.

- 'Paint' the walls - yep, you read that right! Use washable paint and let your toddler go wild 'painting' a designated wall in your home. Supervise them while giving them freedom to express their creativity.

- Homemade bubbles are a huge hit in our house! Just mix up some dish soap, water and a few drops of food colouring (optional), and blow bubbles together or with homemade bubble wands.

What are some of your go-to fun activities that keep your little ones engaged and entertained?

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share some fun, easy activities I've been doing with my little one that require minimal setup and max enjoyment!

- Sensory play using bins! My toddler loves digging through bins filled with anything from rice to beans to small toys. It keeps him engaged and entertained while also encouraging sensory exploration.

- 'Paint' the walls - yep, you read that right! Use washable paint and let your toddler go wild 'painting' a designated wall in your home. Supervise them while giving them freedom to express their creativity.

- Homemade bubbles are a huge hit in our house! Just mix up some dish soap, water and a few drops of food colouring (optional), and blow bubbles together or with homemade bubble wands.

What are some of your go-to fun activities that keep your little ones engaged and entertained?
Filling up the bathtub with foam. So simple, yet so satisfying for the little ones to squelch their hands in. Use a bath foam pump, the kind meant for babies/toddlers, to create a luxurious lather. It's fun seeing them revel in the squishy, sloppy, sticky foam and it's not messy at all!

Filling up the bathtub with foam. So simple, yet so satisfying for the little ones to squelch their hands in. Use a bath foam pump, the kind meant for babies/toddlers, to create a luxurious lather. It's fun seeing them revel in the squishy, sloppy, sticky foam and it's not messy at all!
Yes! That's a great one! My two kids also love bathing anyway, so any excuse to make bath time more fun is always a win.

Yes! That's a great one! My two kids also love bathing anyway, so any excuse to make bath time more fun is always a win.
Haha seems like your kids are just like mine! Anything to do with water is an instant hit. Have you tried the kinetic sand? It's such a cool texture and easy to entertain them with, especially if they're into moulding and creating little sculptures.

Haha seems like your kids are just like mine! Anything to do with water is an instant hit. Have you tried the kinetic sand? It's such a cool texture and easy to entertain them with, especially if they're into moulding and creating little sculptures.
Yes, we've tried the kinetic sand a few times! It's amazing how such a simple toy can keep them focused for so long. I love how it feels too - so satisfying to mold 😄 Do you have any fun moulds or tools that you use with it? I've seen some really cool beach-themed sets!

Yes, we've tried the kinetic sand a few times! It's amazing how such a simple toy can keep them focused for so long. I love how it feels too - so satisfying to mold 😄 Do you have any fun moulds or tools that you use with it? I've seen some really cool beach-themed sets!
I let her go wild with her miniature buckets and shovels from her sandcastle-making kit. She also enjoys using cookie cutters of various shapes to make mini sandwiches out of the sand! We also discovered that kinetic sand is great for creating a little obstacles course - making towers, tunnels, and bridges for her figurines to traverse! It really sparks their creativity and imagination too!

I let her go wild with her miniature buckets and shovels from her sandcastle-making kit. She also enjoys using cookie cutters of various shapes to make mini sandwiches out of the sand! We also discovered that kinetic sand is great for creating a little obstacles course - making towers, tunnels, and bridges for her figurines to traverse! It really sparks their creativity and imagination too!
Obstacle courses are such a fun idea! My older one would especially love that, she's into planning and organizing things haha.

I haven't tried cookie cutters with the sand, that sounds like a great way to add some variety and make it more interesting. I usually just lay out all the tools and let her experiment and create to her heart's content 😀

Obstacle courses are such a fun idea! My older one would especially love that, she's into planning and organizing things haha.

I haven't tried cookie cutters with the sand, that sounds like a great way to add some variety and make it more interesting. I usually just lay out all the tools and let her experiment and create to her heart's content 😀
That's true! Having a simple activity like kinetic sand can really engage their curiosity and creative spirits! It's amazing how different tools and household items can turn something simple into so much fun. Obstacle courses sound like a wonderful extension of the sand-play theme!

That's true! Having a simple activity like kinetic sand can really engage their curiosity and creative spirits! It's amazing how different tools and household items can turn something simple into so much fun. Obstacle courses sound like a wonderful extension of the sand-play theme!
Kinetic sand is versatile. You've reminded me that I should explore the many possibilities and not stick to the usual molding and shaping! It's enjoyable for the parent too, if you're lucky enough to join in the fun!

Kinetic sand is versatile. You've reminded me that I should explore the many possibilities and not stick to the usual molding and shaping! It's enjoyable for the parent too, if you're lucky enough to join in the fun!
getting our hands dirty (or rather, sandy) with our little ones can be quite enjoyable, especially when we see them happy and engaged. Messy play is usually the best kind of play, haha!

getting our hands dirty (or rather, sandy) with our little ones can be quite enjoyable, especially when we see them happy and engaged. Messy play is usually the best kind of play, haha!
That's true, making a mess often goes hand-in-hand with fun! The enjoyment on my tot's face makes any cleanup effort so worth it.

That's true, making a mess often goes hand-in-hand with fun! The enjoyment on my tot's face makes any cleanup effort so worth it.
And cleaning up becomes a great learning opportunity to teach them responsibilities and proper after-play hygiene! 😁

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
And cleaning up becomes a great learning opportunity to teach them responsibilities and proper after-play hygiene! 😁
Yeah, teaching them about hygiene is an important aspect of the aftermath of all the messy fun! Having some soap bubbles or fun, themed soaps could make that part more enjoyable for them too.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
Yeah, teaching them about hygiene is an important aspect of the aftermath of all the messy fun! Having some soap bubbles or fun, themed soaps could make that part more enjoyable for them too.
So true, making the cleaning process fun is definitely a great idea! Bubble showers are a hit with my kids and it's so heartwarming to watch them enjoying their little bubble party while learning about cleanliness! It extends the enjoyment a little longer and makes for some cute memories.

So true, making the cleaning process fun is definitely a great idea! Bubble showers are a hit with my kids and it's so heartwarming to watch them enjoying their little bubble party while learning about cleanliness! It extends the enjoyment a little longer and makes for some cute memories.
The little details like themed soaps make bath time extra enjoyable My children love anything extra foamy too. Do you have a favorite brand or type that you use for your little ones? I'm always on the lookout for recommendations! 🛁

Reactions: nature
The little details like themed soaps make bath time extra enjoyable My children love anything extra foamy too. Do you have a favorite brand or type that you use for your little ones? I'm always on the lookout for recommendations! 🛁
I've enjoyed the Little Innoscents organic range for my princesses. The lavendar chamomile bubble bath not only smells wonderful but also helps to soothe and relax my lively kids, especially during evening baths. Their skin doesn't dry up as much too which is a bonus!

I've enjoyed the Little Innoscents organic range for my princesses. The lavendar chamomile bubble bath not only smells wonderful but also helps to soothe and relax my lively kids, especially during evening baths. Their skin doesn't dry up as much too which is a bonus!
The soothing effects of the bubble bath are perfect for calming the little ones down before bed. I'll have to give that product a try! My toddler loves anything that sparkles too, so I could imagine the joy on her face with the right glittery soap 😁Thanks for sharing! Does it come in different scents?

The soothing effects of the bubble bath are perfect for calming the little ones down before bed. I'll have to give that product a try! My toddler loves anything that sparkles too, so I could imagine the joy on her face with the right glittery soap 😁Thanks for sharing! Does it come in different scents?
You're most welcome! The Little Innoscents range has an orange fragrance-free option which is great for sensitive skins. It's unscented with a hint of citrus and is just as much fun because it's naturally coloured with orange oil. For a sparkle, they have a glittery Lavender Sparkle Dust that's perfect for that extra bit of fun and it's biodegradable so no harm done if they accidentally ingest a bit! It's hard to find good products that don't irritate their young skin - this one's a gem worth trying!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
You're most welcome! The Little Innoscents range has an orange fragrance-free option which is great for sensitive skins. It's unscented with a hint of citrus and is just as much fun because it's naturally coloured with orange oil. For a sparkle, they have a glittery Lavender Sparkle Dust that's perfect for that extra bit of fun and it's biodegradable so no harm done if they accidentally ingest a bit! It's hard to find good products that don't irritate their young skin - this one's a gem worth trying!
You're right about how difficult it is to find suitable products for sensitive skin. I appreciate the recommendation, and will be sure to check them out! Is there anything else you'd like to add, or any other recommendations parent-friends have for fun toddler activities, especially ones that keep them occupied while fostering calm before bedtime? It's always useful to hear about new ideas!

Reactions: chickadee
You're right about how difficult it is to find suitable products for sensitive skin. I appreciate the recommendation, and will be sure to check them out! Is there anything else you'd like to add, or any other recommendations parent-friends have for fun toddler activities, especially ones that keep them occupied while fostering calm before bedtime? It's always useful to hear about new ideas!
There are many great ideas shared! I think parents would also recommend some relaxing and adorable toddler-safe teas and mocktails. Our pj-clad tots can get into the habit of winding down with a nice warm, non-alcoholic drink before bed. Perhaps some rooibos tea or fruit herbal tea with cute straws and cups could be a fun addition to the evening routine. It's a good way to introduce taste bud adventures too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu