• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Foster & Adoption Connections

I'm a singaporean event planner living in Katong, so fostering-to-adopt might be quite different over here! However, I do have some friends who went through a fairly lengthy adoption process to adopt a little girl from South Korea. It was important for them to find family connections and they wanted to give a good home to a child who needed one. They had lots of paperwork and interviews but it was definitely worth it in the end - their daughter is now almost four years old and brings them so much joy.
That's super heartwarming to hear. It's encouraging to know that the journey has a joyful ending, even with the lengthy process. Adopting internationally sounds like an exhaustive process with all the red tape, but it's understandable given the sensitivity and importance of the situation. Thanks for sharing! Does anyone else have stories of their adoption journeys?

I'm a singaporean event planner living in Katong, so fostering-to-adopt might be quite different over here! However, I do have some friends who went through a fairly lengthy adoption process to adopt a little girl from South Korea. It was important for them to find family connections and they wanted to give a good home to a child who needed one. They had lots of paperwork and interviews but it was definitely worth it in the end - their daughter is now almost four years old and brings them so much joy.
That's a lovely story, thank you for sharing! It's heartening to hear how worthwhile the journey can be. I think the paperwork and process differ so greatly from country to country, and it's encouraging to learn about other people's experiences where you are - especially when considering the unique circumstances of adopting internationally. It sounds like your friends went through a very different but equally complex process.

I've heard of families in Singapore adopting locally too, and I'm keen to learn more about their journeys as well. The experiences shared here are already giving me some great ideas on information sessions/groups to look up - so useful!

Wow, that's really fascinating! I'd imagine the process varies pretty greatly across different countries, and it's heartwarming to hear your friends were able to find joy in adopting and connecting with their child. Do share more of your observations or any relevant resources/groups you come across - I'm sure many members would be delighted to learn about the adoption process internationally, especially as many expats reside here in SG! It's helpful to hear experiences beyond Ohio.

That's heartening to hear. Adopting across borders sounds like an immensely complex process. Did your friends go through any particular organisations or initiatives they would recommend?

It's definitely a very challenging yet fulfilling path you guys have chosen. I recall the tedious process of fostering and eventual adoption! Fortunately, there are many supportive groups online to help guide and encourage one another along this special journey.
it is a tough but heartwarming journey, and having support groups to rely on makes a huge difference. It's encouraging to hear your stories and know that there are so many kindred spirits out there!

It's great that you're offering temporary shelter for kids in need. each country's - if not state's - process differs so drastically that it can feel like starting over when moving to a new location. Here in Singapore, the government social service agencies are the go-to for all things adoption and foster. Have you reached out to the relevant authorities to inquire about the requirements for long-term fostering or adoption? The process might seem daunting, but the joy of welcoming a new member into the family is worth it.
Yes it's quite a journey with lots of twists and turns! I've queried the necessary agencies here and attended some info sessions held by local fostering organizations to understand the procedures better. While the paperwork and home visits are quite extensive, the support from the community of foster parents make the process less daunting.

I've learnt that the approval process in Singapore can take quite some time, but the government's thoroughness is assuring from another perspective! It's heartening to see so many people keen on fostering - giving kids a chance at a good home and family life.

It's great that you're offering temporary shelter for kids in need. each country's - if not state's - process differs so drastically that it can feel like starting over when moving to a new location. Here in Singapore, the government social service agencies are the go-to for all things adoption and foster. Have you reached out to the relevant authorities to inquire about the requirements for long-term fostering or adoption? The process might seem daunting, but the joy of welcoming a new member into the family is worth it.
As an eco-consciousness enthusiast, do you also try to pass on sustainable living tips to your foster kids or adopted children?

You're right; the procedures can be very different from place to place! I haven't looked into the requirements here in Singapore too deeply yet as we're still deciding if it's the right path for our family.. but I know it's a lengthy process that involves lots of home visits, assessments and training. It's encouraging to hear from others who have gone ahead and done it though - brings a new perspective to the potential challenges!

Yes I've gone through the adoption route and the Social Service Agency has been very helpful, although slow in processing the application. For those interested, they should also check out Compass, which is the National Council of Social Service's portal for all things related to volunteering and caring for the community - including fostering.

It's definitely a very challenging yet fulfilling path you guys have chosen. I recall the tedious process of fostering and eventual adoption! Fortunately, there are many supportive groups online to help guide and encourage one another along this special journey.
Yes, it's certainly not an easy task but the experiences shared within these support groups make the effort worthwhile. It's heartwarming to see parents tackling this challenging path together and sharing their stories.

Thanks for sharing! Does Singapore even allow foreign couples to adopt? Or were you referring to fostering only? Either way, it's a noble mission that deserves recognition, especially given the temporary nature of your fostering which allows for more flexibility and versatility.
You're right; it's usually singapore citizens or permanent residents who adopt here. The rules are getting more stringent these days. But there was this one couple I know - the wife is Singaporean, and they adopted a boy from Australia. He was the biological child of the husband's sister, who passed away, and the father could not take care of him, so they stepped in. It was a complex scenario but went rather smoothly because the biological dad voluntarily gave up his custodial rights.

I think in general, the government is encouraging and prioritizing local adoptions these days - matching the kids with Singaporean families first before considering overseas adoptions. But it's definitely worth looking into, and there are some reputable NGOs that help facilitate these matches.

Thanks for sharing! Does Singapore even allow foreign couples to adopt? Or were you referring to fostering only? Either way, it's a noble mission that deserves recognition, especially given the temporary nature of your fostering which allows for more flexibility and versatility.
You're right; it's commendable work that they do. Foster parents are heroes in our midst!

Foreigners are allowed to adopt in Singapore, but it's a lengthy and complex process involving many parties. The majority of adoptions here are done locally, but there are some international cases, typically where there's a previous connection or cultural tie between the child and adoptive parents. There tends to be a lot of red tape to ensure the child's well-being and safety, which is understandable.

The focus here is really on matching the child's needs with the prospective parents' abilities, so everyone involved is well taken care of.

Foreigners may adopt in Singapore. While the process might be daunting due to the lengthy procedures and criteria, it is possible. There are many requirements to fulfill - including being above 21 years old, undergoing medical checks, providing references, etc. The government here really puts the child's needs first and ensures that they are placed in good homes. The focus on safety and well-being makes the process tedious but also assuring for parents who truly wish to offer a loving home.

That's alright! Thank you for sharing. It's always helpful to hear about the varying experiences people have worldwide. Even though the cultural differences in fostering may vary greatly, some emotions and challenges are probably universal.
You're right! There might be different challenges and circumstances culturally, but the love, joy and worry every parent has for their child are definitely universal emotions. It's heartening to see parents coming together to share their experiences and offer support, especially for such a vulnerable group of children in need of a helping hand.

That's alright! Thank you for sharing. It's always helpful to hear about the varying experiences people have worldwide. Even though the cultural differences in fostering may vary greatly, some emotions and challenges are probably universal.
You're welcome! While the cultural and procedural aspects may differ globally, the underlying emotions are remarkably similar for most parents, foster or otherwise. The anxiety and uncertainties are familiar territories for many, as is the deep desire to provide a loving home. It's heartening to see parents coming together to navigate this complex world and share their experiences to help one another!

You're right; the core feelings and obstacles are probably very similar everywhere, giving a shared experience across borders. It's great to hear stories from all over - gives us a glimpse into what others are dealing with and feeling!

You're right; there are some universal emotions and challenges that most, if not all, foster parents experience regardless of their location. It's great that you're gathering these insights - they will definitely come in handy during your own fostering journey! Do keep us posted if you have any specific questions or observations as you progress.

You're right; at the very core, certain experiences are universal, regardless of the different cultures and backgrounds we come from. Emotions like joy, anxiety, or apprehension are felt alike across the world. It's always heartwarming to witness others' willingness to step up and foster parent - the world needs more like you!

Absolutely! There might be different challenges in different parts of the world, but the essence of opening our hearts to help a child certainly unites us. It's heartwarming to see so many people coming together to share their experiences in fostering or adoption, offering insights on the universal feelings and obstacles that come with it.

That's great to hear you're in good hands with a supportive fostering agency. It definitely helps to have a robust support system in place. Not many success stories are shared which can make the journey seem daunting; I hope more parents will feel encouraged to share their positive experiences.
I agree! I think people tend to be more forthcoming about the difficulties and challenges they faced, which is of course an important perspective to hear. But it's also encouraging to hear positive outcomes and smooth processes, it gives hope and reminds us why we're doing this!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu