• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Foster & Adoption Connections

We're in really good hands with our fostering agency, but I'll admit there aren't enough resources and shared experiences out there, so I'm all ears too!
It's encouraging to hear that you're in capable hands with your fostering agency. Foster programs often lack sufficient resources, so it's beneficial to seek insight from multiple sources. I wish you the best of luck with your foster-to-adopt journey. Keep seeking insights; it's a worthwhile endeavor!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and cissy
We're in really good hands with our fostering agency, but I'll admit there aren't enough resources and shared experiences out there, so I'm all ears too!
It's reassuring to hear that you're in good hands with your fostering agency. Foster agencies definitely play a crucial role in providing relevant resources and guidance for the entire process. It's great that you're proactive in seeking information; it certainly helps to be well-prepared!

There's a shortage of carers, that's for sure. It can be a thankless task - challenging work but also extremely rewarding.

Oh gosh, I'm in Singapore and know nothing about fostering or adopting overseas, sorry! But it'd be great to hear from anyone who's gone through/is going through a similar journey here too. Any parent with stories of their journey - either bumps or smooth sailings - are welcome! I'm all ears, as long as the sharing is within the comfort level of everyone here.
There are many pathways towards becoming a parent! I'm glad you're getting all the info you need; it's quite an undertaking. I have mum friends who adopted locally, and it was a fairly straightforward process for them.

Oh gosh, I'm in Singapore and know nothing about fostering or adopting overseas, sorry! But it'd be great to hear from anyone who's gone through/is going through a similar journey here too. Any parent with stories of their journey - either bumps or smooth sailings - are welcome! I'm all ears, as long as the sharing is within the comfort level of everyone here.
That's great that you're open to listening to others' experiences in foster care and adoption locally in Singapore! I'm curious too, especially since you mentioned different processes across countries. Are there common challenges or barriers faced in foster care that are universal, or do you think there are some unique to Singapore?

I'm a fostering newbie like yourself, but I've gathered from friends' experiences that the process has been quite smooth for some and quite bumpy for others - it seems to vary a lot. I'm also eyeing foster-to-adopt, and from what I hear, the hardest part is actually the paperwork and regulations - there's a lot of them! But I guess that's good in ensuring the safety of the children involved.

There's a local fostering agency that has a fairly active online community, and they organized some information sessions that I plan to attend to learn more. Maybe see if there are any such info sessions or groups in your area? I'm sure there are plenty of other foster parents online and in support groups who can offer insights, especially on the legal and emotional aspects - bumps in the road are probably unavoidable, but hearing about them beforehand helps with preparation!

I'm also keeping an eye out for any specific questions you may have as we navigate this complex but meaningful journey.
That's a wonderful idea to attend the info sessions! I've heard from friends that the fostering community is quite close-knit which can be comforting when feeling lost.

The paperwork and regulations are definitely daunting, and understanding them is a big part of the process. It's encouraging to hear that there are support systems in place to help with the initial steps and beyond - makes the challenges seem more surmountable!

I'm comfortable knowing there's another fostering newbie around who gets the struggles and uncertainties; looking forward to sharing this journey with you, and hopefully others will join too!

I have heard of people adopting locally via the national Adoption Guild but it is quite a lengthy process. They also only allow straight couples and the potential parents have to be 21 years old and above with at least one biological child, which I think are rather restrictive requirements. Unfortunately, the society here tends to be judgmental towards non-conventional families so these rules are in place, I assume, to increase the chances of a successful adoption.

On a separate note, have you considered parallel parenting? It might be an option for you!

I'm a fostering newbie like yourself, but I've gathered from friends' experiences that the process has been quite smooth for some and quite bumpy for others - it seems to vary a lot. I'm also eyeing foster-to-adopt, and from what I hear, the hardest part is actually the paperwork and regulations - there's a lot of them! But I guess that's good in ensuring the safety of the children involved.

There's a local fostering agency that has a fairly active online community, and they organized some information sessions that I plan to attend to learn more. Maybe see if there are any such info sessions or groups in your area? I'm sure there are plenty of other foster parents online and in support groups who can offer insights, especially on the legal and emotional aspects - bumps in the road are probably unavoidable, but hearing about them beforehand helps with preparation!

I'm also keeping an eye out for any specific questions you may have as we navigate this complex but meaningful journey.
That's helpful to know that there are varying experiences even within the same region. Paperwork and regulations would be daunting especially if one is working full time, which adds another layer of complexity. Info sessions sound like a good idea to start - I've also realised that many fostering agencies here have mandatory preparatory courses for prospective fosters which goes into details of what's required including the paperwork, so that sounds like a good starting point! There does seem to be enough support within the fostering community, which is heartening - online groups and real-life ones too. I'm sure you'll hear more from other users with more targeted advice!

I'm also in Singapore and have considered adoption but decided it was too lengthy and cumbersome a process. Instead, I opted for a fostering service which has a faster turnaround time. They prepare the necessary paperwork etc, and you just need to attend some courses. There's lots of bureaucracy but that's to be expected when the state is involved I guess. It's worth it in the end though - each kid is different so your mileage may vary, but it's a very satisfying experience overall watching them grow up!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I'm a singaporean event planner living in Katong, so fostering-to-adopt might be quite different over here! However, I do have some friends who went through a fairly lengthy adoption process to adopt a little girl from South Korea. It was important for them to find family connections and they wanted to give a good home to a child who needed one. They had lots of paperwork and interviews but it was definitely worth it in the end - their daughter is now almost four years old and brings them so much joy.
That's super heartwarming to hear! It's wonderful how these children are welcomed into loving homes and given another chance at life, and the families' perseverance through lengthy processes really speak volumes about their love and dedication.

I've also heard of a few local adoption stories involving adoptions from overseas, though the procedures seem very different from fostering. The complexities vary so much across countries and even states, so it's really beneficial to have specific insights for our areas of interest!

The fostering system in Singapore is stringent and not very welcoming. You need a lot of patience and luck to navigate the red tape. But I managed to adopt my son 18 years ago and it has been tough but fulfilling. His bio mum had issues with drugs and she voluntarily gave up her rights. I've heard of others who did it too, and they have no regrets.
You're right about the stringent fostering system in Singapore! I can't imagine how challenging it must have been to adopt locally. It's heartwarming to hear about your adoption journey and that you've had a fulfilling experience despite the challenges. There's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Do you mind sharing any details about the process, or perhaps any lessons learnt along the way that you'd share with someone new to this? Anything helpful you've found in managing the challenges, especially as a single parent? I'm curious to hear more, especially from other locals!

The fostering system in Singapore is stringent and not very welcoming. You need a lot of patience and luck to navigate the red tape. But I managed to adopt my son 18 years ago and it has been tough but fulfilling. His bio mum had issues with drugs and she voluntarily gave up her rights. I've heard of others who did it too, and they have no regrets.
That's a great insight into the fostering-adoptions process in Singapore - it sounds like a difficult but ultimately rewarding experience. It's invaluable to hear about the experiences of others before diving into these big life decisions. Seems like a lot of paperwork and interviews are to be expected!

On the topic of adopting within one's own country, have you found any local support groups or resources especially helpful? Any recommendations for those starting out on this journey would be appreciated!

That's insightful! It seems like wherever we are, the journey is complex and can be challenging - though it sounds like it's worth the effort in the end. Stringent requirements can definitely help ensure the safety and well-being of the child, but it certainly makes the process longer and more complicated. The system in place definitely seems daunting, especially so for newcomers!

Are there common challenges or specific difficulties you faced that other hopeful adopters should be aware of? It'd be helpful to know what they might need extra patience or preparation for.

It's heartwarming to hear your adoption story, especially in Singapore's context! I can only imagine how trying the process must have been, amidst the red tape. I appreciate you sharing your experience; it's encouraging to know that despite the stringent system, the joy that comes out of it makes it worthwhile.

I've heard from a couple of mums now that the process is rather stringent - looks like there's a lot of patience required to get through the red tape! But the joy at the end makes it all worthwhile I'm sure 😊 Did you adopt your son locally or overseas? I imagine it's quite a different process, and would love to hear more about your experience.

That's quite an inspiring story. It's great that you persevered through the system and gave a loving home to a child in need. I'm glad it has been fulfilling for you and hope your son is doing well!

Do share any details you're comfortable with, especially the non-typical aspects of the fostering/adoption journey - I think it really helps those of us navigating these waters to hear a variety of experiences, the good and the bad.

That sounds incredibly difficult but also rewarding! I'm glad you were able to adopt your son. Does he know his biological mother or have any details about her?

Wow! That's really brave of the biological mother to make such a decision, and I'm glad that your experience has been fulfilling despite the challenges. It sounds like a very fulfilling journey - it's heartening to hear about the different paths people take to grow their families.

Do share if you have any insights on places to look for resources or support groups in Singapore for adopters. I'm sure many parents here would benefit from hearing about your experiences.

I'm a singaporean event planner living in Katong, so fostering-to-adopt might be quite different over here! However, I do have some friends who went through a fairly lengthy adoption process to adopt a little girl from South Korea. It was important for them to find family connections and they wanted to give a good home to a child who needed one. They had lots of paperwork and interviews but it was definitely worth it in the end - their daughter is now almost four years old and brings them so much joy.
That's encouraging news! We're prepared for a long journey ahead and appreciate stories of the light at the tunnel's end! It's heartening to hear your friends found what they were looking for, and it gives others hope too.

The paperwork and interviews are daunting, but if the end goal is a loving addition to the family, the efforts are worth it. I've heard that in some cases here, the process can take years - almost akin to a pregnancy term! But like any awaiting parents, we'll keep ourselves busy with preparations and gathering of information.

It's sweet of you to offer support, thank you!

You seem to know a lot about the adoption scene in Singapore! Are there any specific agencies or initiatives you dealt with? Also, how long does it usually take to adopt? And do share more about your experiences as a single foster mama! The struggles, fun memories - everything!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu