• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Foster & Adoption Connections

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Anyone have any connections they'd like to share?

I'm in Ohio, and we're hoping to foster-to-adopt. Would love to hear from others who have gone through the process here or are currently in it. Success stories or even tales of bumps in the road welcome! Looking for all the info we can get as we navigate this.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and luciana

I'm in Ohio, and we're hoping to foster-to-adopt. Would love to hear from others who have gone through the process here or are currently in it. Success stories or even tales of bumps in the road welcome! Looking for all the info we can get as we navigate this.
I'm in Singapore so I'm afraid I can't help with any local resources or recommendations, but my husband and I foster parent for short-term emergency placements. Each state has different processes and requirements so I hope those navigating this in Ohio will be able to share their experiences.

We're in really good hands with our fostering agency, but I'll admit there aren't enough resources and shared experiences out there, so I'm all ears too!

• Love
Reactions: wellness

There's a local FB group called Ohio Foster Care and Adoption Connections that you might find helpful. Lots of great people sharing their experiences and resources. I'm also foster-to-adopt mama right here in Columbus, hit me up if you want to chat!

Oh gosh, I'm in Singapore and know nothing about fostering or adopting overseas, sorry! But it'd be great to hear from anyone who's gone through/is going through a similar journey here too. Any parent with stories of their journey - either bumps or smooth sailings - are welcome! I'm all ears, as long as the sharing is within the comfort level of everyone here.

Reactions: cissy

I'm a fostering newbie like yourself, but I've gathered from friends' experiences that the process has been quite smooth for some and quite bumpy for others - it seems to vary a lot. I'm also eyeing foster-to-adopt, and from what I hear, the hardest part is actually the paperwork and regulations - there's a lot of them! But I guess that's good in ensuring the safety of the children involved.

There's a local fostering agency that has a fairly active online community, and they organized some information sessions that I plan to attend to learn more. Maybe see if there are any such info sessions or groups in your area? I'm sure there are plenty of other foster parents online and in support groups who can offer insights, especially on the legal and emotional aspects - bumps in the road are probably unavoidable, but hearing about them beforehand helps with preparation!

I'm also keeping an eye out for any specific questions you may have as we navigate this complex but meaningful journey.

I'm a singaporean event planner living in Katong, so fostering-to-adopt might be quite different over here! However, I do have some friends who went through a fairly lengthy adoption process to adopt a little girl from South Korea. It was important for them to find family connections and they wanted to give a good home to a child who needed one. They had lots of paperwork and interviews but it was definitely worth it in the end - their daughter is now almost four years old and brings them so much joy.

The fostering system in Singapore is stringent and not very welcoming. You need a lot of patience and luck to navigate the red tape. But I managed to adopt my son 18 years ago and it has been tough but fulfilling. His bio mum had issues with drugs and she voluntarily gave up her rights. I've heard of others who did it too, and they have no regrets.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wellness and nature
I'm in Singapore so I'm afraid I can't help with any local resources or recommendations, but my husband and I foster parent for short-term emergency placements. Each state has different processes and requirements so I hope those navigating this in Ohio will be able to share their experiences.
It's definitely a very challenging yet fulfilling path you guys have chosen. I recall the tedious process of fostering and eventual adoption! Fortunately, there are many supportive groups online to help guide and encourage one another along this special journey.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
It's great that you're offering temporary shelter for kids in need. each country's - if not state's - process differs so drastically that it can feel like starting over when moving to a new location. Here in Singapore, the government social service agencies are the go-to for all things adoption and foster. Have you reached out to the relevant authorities to inquire about the requirements for long-term fostering or adoption? The process might seem daunting, but the joy of welcoming a new member into the family is worth it.

Reactions: cissy
That's alright! Thank you for sharing. It's always helpful to hear about the varying experiences people have worldwide. Even though the cultural differences in fostering may vary greatly, some emotions and challenges are probably universal.

Thanks for sharing! Does Singapore even allow foreign couples to adopt? Or were you referring to fostering only? Either way, it's a noble mission that deserves recognition, especially given the temporary nature of your fostering which allows for more flexibility and versatility.

We're in really good hands with our fostering agency, but I'll admit there aren't enough resources and shared experiences out there, so I'm all ears too!
That's great to hear you're in good hands with a supportive fostering agency. It definitely helps to have a robust support system in place. Not many success stories are shared which can make the journey seem daunting; I hope more parents will feel encouraged to share their positive experiences.

Reactions: musical
There's a local FB group called Ohio Foster Care and Adoption Connections that you might find helpful. Lots of great people sharing their experiences and resources. I'm also foster-to-adopt mama right here in Columbus, hit me up if you want to chat!
That's wonderful to know! Thank you for sharing. I'm sure the poster will appreciate the recommendation and may reach out to you for further details. It's great to have such resources available online, especially when fostering agencies don't seem to provide sufficient support.

Do share more if there are any other helpful groups or services you've come across!

• Haha
Thank you for the recommendation! I'm not on Facebook unfortunately, but it's great to know about the existence of such a group. Always helpful to hear from someone locally who's gone through the process and open to sharing their experience - much appreciated!

That's good to know about the Facebook group - I'll check it out. I'm not on FB much so hopefully the info there is public. And great to hear your insights - bumps in the road are probably helpful to prepare for as well!

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll check out the Facebook group - always helpful to have some local connections and insights. Appreciate you sharing :)

Do you happen to know if there are any specific requirements or challenges in Ohio's fostering system? Or perhaps any resources you've found especially helpful along your journey?

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
thank you for the recommendation. I've heard of a few success stories from friends who found useful resources on Facebook; seems like a great platform to seek advice. I'm glad you found a great agency and that you have some useful connections. Do you mind sharing any helpful tips you learnt from your experience so far?

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check out the Facebook group, Ohio Foster Care and Adoption Connections. It's always nice to connect with other foster-to-adopt moms. I'm curious to learn about your journey, especially since you're based here in Columbus too. Do you mind sharing some insights?

Reactions: sportytina
Thanks for the recommendation. I've heard enough horrors stories about toxic FB groups but this one seems alright. I'm keeping an eye out for local resources, so will check it out.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu