• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Tribulations

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to all you mamas (and fathers) who've struggled with feeding. Whether it's breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding woes, share your experiences and let's help each other navigate these tricky waters!
What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them? Any tips for the group?

Hi everyone, I'm reaching out to all you mamas (and fathers) who've struggled with feeding. Whether it's breastfeeding, pumping, or bottle-feeding woes, share your experiences and let's help each other navigate these tricky waters!
What challenges have you faced and how did you overcome them? Any tips for the group?
I'm Samantha, and I'm jumpsuit into this conversation, hoping to share my struggles with breastfeeding. Exclusive pumping saved my sanity after a tough breastfeeding journey due to my newborn's latch issues. To keep up milk supply, consistent pumping every 2-3 hours was crucial. I also used hospital-grade pumps to stimulate and empty my breasts effectively. Pumping was a full-time job, but luckily, I had help from my mom who cooked and ran errands while I focused on this exhausting pumping routine. Eventually, my son got the latch right, and breastfeeding became a joy! Share your stories, everyone; you're not alone in this feeding struggle!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I'll keep it real - feeding was a beast of an issue for me and my tot. He wouldn't latch, which left me in tears as I tried every trick in the book. Eventually, I had to accept that breastfeeding wasn't working and switched to exclusive pumping.

It was tedious and tiresome, but I kept at it because my son needed his nutrients. I pumped every 2-3 hours round the clock and maintained a strict pumping schedule even when I visited the hospital for my own health issues. It was exhausting, especially with a young child who also required attention.

My saving grace was finding a great lactation cookie recipe, which I modified to cater to my own dietary preferences. Oatmeal, flaxseed, and brewers yeast were my go-to's, and they helped increase my milk supply. Also, storing pumping equipment in the fridge meant I didn't have to wash them as often - a time saver!

It also helped me to meet other moms who shared their experiences and offered insights. There's strength in numbers, and knowing you're not alone in your struggles is comforting. So, mamas, share your stories and let's help each other out!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I exclusively pumped for my first born for six months. It was a real chore, especially having to wash and sterilize pump parts after every session, which could be three or four times daily. Sterilizing bags while out and about was also such a hassle - having to remember to pack them, find hot water wherever I went, and then the embarrassment of asking restaurants/cafes for hot water, hah! I persevered because I wanted him to have the benefits of breastmilk, but man, it was tough, and I often felt trapped by the whole process.

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and wellness
As an event planner with a five year old, I can relate to the challenges of breastfeeding and the subsequent weaning process. Exclusively pumping for my daughter was a real challenge, as my milk supply was low due to my PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). To increase my milk flow, I pumped every two hours and drank plenty of fluids with a balanced diet, which helped maintain a good milk supply.

It's a daunting task, but consistency and perseverance are key! Would love to hear others' experiences and tips too!

Exclusive pumping for my premmie was a challenge because my milk supply couldn't keep up with his demands. I supplemented with formula and Thankfully, he took to it without issues. Some would judge but hey, a fed baby is a happy baby!

I'm Samantha, and I'm jumpsuit into this conversation, hoping to share my struggles with breastfeeding. Exclusive pumping saved my sanity after a tough breastfeeding journey due to my newborn's latch issues. To keep up milk supply, consistent pumping every 2-3 hours was crucial. I also used hospital-grade pumps to stimulate and empty my breasts effectively. Pumping was a full-time job, but luckily, I had help from my mom who cooked and ran errands while I focused on this exhausting pumping routine. Eventually, my son got the latch right, and breastfeeding became a joy! Share your stories, everyone; you're not alone in this feeding struggle!
I struggled with low supply and exclusively pumped for six months to supplement my breastfeeding. It was emotionally draining, worrying about maintaining an adequate milk supply, but I persevered, pumped consistently, and tried various techniques to stimulate and increase production.

When my daughter started solids, the joy of feeding her homemade meals made the hardships worthwhile. Watching her enjoy her food is a rewarding experience!

Reactions: eternity
Exclusive pumping is really a hustle! It's encouraging to hear that your son eventually got the latch right. That's a good one, knowing when to seek help and guidance in order to achieve a successful latch. Some mums might be too proud or reluctant to seek help, thinking they should naturally know how to feed their babies, so kudos to you!

I exclusively pumped for the first four months of my daughter's life because she couldn't latch well either, so I feel you, Samantha! It was such a tedious and tiring routine, pumping around the clock. I also invested in a hospital-grade pump to up my supply and ensure efficient pumping. What worked for me was making a playlist of feel-good songs that I'd jam out to during each session. It helped the time pass by pleasantly and motivated me to keep going.

I'm glad you eventually found happiness in breastfeeding after some initial struggles. But you also had help which made all the difference. Many others aren't as lucky to have that support system. So it's realistic to say that without the help, you might still be struggling or might have given up breastfeeding altogether. It's great to set expectations for new mothers on the realities of breastfeeding and that it's okay to seek help and advice when needed. That's half the battle won.

I'll keep it real - feeding was a beast of an issue for me and my tot. He wouldn't latch, which left me in tears as I tried every trick in the book. Eventually, I had to accept that breastfeeding wasn't working and switched to exclusive pumping.

It was tedious and tiresome, but I kept at it because my son needed his nutrients. I pumped every 2-3 hours round the clock and maintained a strict pumping schedule even when I visited the hospital for my own health issues. It was exhausting, especially with a young child who also required attention.

My saving grace was finding a great lactation cookie recipe, which I modified to cater to my own dietary preferences. Oatmeal, flaxseed, and brewers yeast were my go-to's, and they helped increase my milk supply. Also, storing pumping equipment in the fridge meant I didn't have to wash them as often - a time saver!

It also helped me to meet other moms who shared their experiences and offered insights. There's strength in numbers, and knowing you're not alone in your struggles is comforting. So, mamas, share your stories and let's help each other out!
Exclusive pumping is a huge commitment and a challenge, so kudos to you, Samantha, for keeping at it despite the difficulties! It's great that you found solutions and adaptations that worked for you.

I agree that seeking support and sharing stories with other parents helps; we certainly aren't alone in our struggles, and it's reassuring to know other parents have been through similar trials. I'm curious to know what your go-to lactation cookie recipe was, and how you tailored it to your dietary preferences! Always on the lookout for new recipes!

That's awesome how you discovered some dietary changes that helped increase milk supply. it's a big relief when we find things that work, amidst all the troubles! Having a support system and hearing stories of others' struggles puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: doctormama

Understanding that you're not alone in your struggles is reassuring. It's encouraging to hear how you found solutions that worked for you. I second the importance of seeking support from others - we moms got to stick together! There's so much power in shared experiences.

Hearing about your struggles with feeding issues and how you overcame them is encouraging. It's reassuring to know that resilience pays off and there's light at the end of the tunnel.

That's great to know what worked for you - the lactation cookies and your dietary adjustments. It's good to have a supportive group of moms for shared learning; this journey is a challenging one!

Hearing other moms' experiences really does help and give us strength! Thanks for sharing @Samantha and @JaneDoe . I exclusively pumped for my firstborn too, so I feel you ladies! It's a tedious task, and the sleep deprivation that comes with it is a whole different challenge.

My tip would be to find ways to make pumping more efficient and hands-free because having your hands freed up makes a world of difference! I used a pumping bustier and pumped while doing other things like reading or catching up on my favourite shows. Also, using a nipple shield helped me to improve latch initially, before my baby got the hang of it.

And for those struggling with low milk supply, I found that power pumping sessions helped to boost and maintain my supply. It's a pain, but it works! Basically, you pump at longer intervals, around 10-12 minutes with breaks in between, to mimic a cluster feed.

Remember, every baby is different, so don't lose hope if something isn't working. Experiment, seek advice from lactation consultants, and remember there's nothing wrong with formula feeding if that's the route you take! All we want is a happy, fed bubba in the end :)

Reactions: cissy

Meeting other moms and hearing their stories really does help; it's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our feeding challenges. I'm glad you found a solution that worked for you and your little one!

I also had issues with latching in the beginning, and it was frustrating not knowing why breastfeeding wasn't working as my baby seemed to have a good latch. It turned out she had a tongue-tie, which explained all the pain and ineffective feeding. Getting it snipped was a quick fix, and within days, breastfeeding became much easier.

It's amazing how many little things can affect our nursing journeys! I wonder if any parents have had to deal with dairy issues. My husband is lactose intolerant, so I always wondered if our daughter would have the same issue, but fortunately, she seems OK with my dairy intake.

Hearing about your experience with breastfeeding and pumping issues confirms my suspicion that most moms go through some form of feeding hellfire. It's encouraging to know that there's light at the tunnel's end. Your persistence paid off, and the lactation cookies trick is a great tip!

I exclusively pumped for my first born for six months. It was a real chore, especially having to wash and sterilize pump parts after every session, which could be three or four times daily. Sterilizing bags while out and about was also such a hassle - having to remember to pack them, find hot water wherever I went, and then the embarrassment of asking restaurants/cafes for hot water, hah! I persevered because I wanted him to have the benefits of breastmilk, but man, it was tough, and I often felt trapped by the whole process.
the cleaning and sterilizing process is a huge commitment, especially when one tries to maintain a certain level of hygiene for baby's well-being. Washing pump parts became a tedious chore, especially when sleep-deprived. I found that keeping a dedicated wash basket helped, where I could soak the parts briefly before rinsing them and placing them in the dishwasher. That way, they were kept separate from other dishes, ensuring they were cleaned thoroughly.

That's a real commitment you had going there, Sterling work! Six months is an achievement, especially given the challenges you faced. The sterilization bit really is a major headache, and your struggle is relatable. It's encouraging to know that there are ways to navigate these hurdles; it just takes time to figure them out. Thanks for sharing; it's heartening to know I'm not alone in this stressful but rewarding phase!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu