• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Struggles and Successes

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mealtimes can often become a struggle with young children, but many parents have discovered that involving their children in preparing meals can make the experience fun and engaging. Preparation can include activities such as shaping burger patties, making fruit kebabs, or creating themed meals like "Under the Sea" dinners or BBQ bashes. This not only encourages kids to explore new foods but also teaches them about different cultures and healthy eating habits while spending quality family time together.

The visual appeal of colorful and creative dishes can entice young eaters, and the educational aspect of meal preparation fosters a sense of adventure and helps develop an adventurous palate in children. Allowing children to experiment with various cuisines instills confidence in them to embrace the unknown, which could be beneficial when they venture into new environments in the future.

In Singapore's multicultural society, children have the advantage of being exposed to a wide variety of foods, which broadens their culinary horizons and encourages a braver approach to unfamiliar flavors and aromas. These early experiences lay the foundation for a lifelong appreciation of diverse cultures and cuisines.

There's no one-size fits all journey when it comes to feeding our little ones, so share your struggles and successes here! Whether you're facing challenges getting your baby to latch, or your tot is a pro at using a sippy cup, we want to hear your stories of perseverance and victory!

What specific issues did you encounter, and how did you overcome them? What surprised you the most about the whole feeding process? Do share your tips, too, on how you and your little one overcame these hurdles - many moms will benefit from your hard-won wisdom!

There's no one-size fits all journey when it comes to feeding our little ones, so share your struggles and successes here! Whether you're facing challenges getting your baby to latch, or your tot is a pro at using a sippy cup, we want to hear your stories of perseverance and victory!

What specific issues did you encounter, and how did you overcome them? What surprised you the most about the whole feeding process? Do share your tips, too, on how you and your little one overcame these hurdles - many moms will benefit from your hard-won wisdom!
I nearly gave up trying to breastfeed my baby when he was a week old - it hurt so much! But with the help of a good lactation consultant, we persevered and found a comfortable position for him. It got better after that.

Wouldn't say it was easy, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Didn't realise how fulfilling it would be.

That's amazing to hear! It's certainly tough in those early days, but the struggles make the successes so much sweeter - and it sounds like your hard work paid off. Well done for seeking help when you needed it too - that can make all the difference. It's so fulfilling knowing you're providing your baby with exactly what they need - even if it doesn't always feel easy!

That's amazing to hear! It's certainly tough in those early days, but the struggles make the successes so much sweeter - and it sounds like your hard work paid off. Well done for seeking help when you needed it too - that can make all the difference. It's so fulfilling knowing you're providing your baby with exactly what they need - even if it doesn't always feel easy!
It's a challenging phase for sure, and many new parents struggle with feeding issues; it's great that I was able to find solutions that worked for me and my baby. It's a relief to overcome these struggles and finally establish a good feeding routine!

That's fantastic! What were some of the challenges you faced, and what were your solutions? I'm sure many parents in this group would love to hear about what worked for you. It's such a relief when feeding goes smoothly - it's a huge weight off our minds as parents!

That's fantastic! What were some of the challenges you faced, and what were your solutions? I'm sure many parents in this group would love to hear about what worked for you. It's such a relief when feeding goes smoothly - it's a huge weight off our minds as parents!
Mealtimes can be chaotic with a picky eater! My solution was to involve my child in preparing the meals, which somehow made eating the food more appealing. It also helped to expose her to a variety of textures and ingredients by letting her experiment with cooking tools and ingredients safely.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and eternity
I have a slim picky eater who's hardly seen finishing her food. The challenge was getting her to eat a well-balanced meal without it turning into a daily power struggle. My strategy was twofold: sneaky nutritious snacks and family mealtimes.

Between meals, I offered healthy but tasty snacks like smoothies or homemade fruit popsicles, which she loves helping me prepare. These became stealth ways to up her nutrition intake. And having the whole family eat together also helped model the behavior; seeing us enjoy our meals encouraged her to finish hers too. It's still a work in progress, but it's definitely improved!

What other strategies have worked for you guys? Some kids are just tricky when it comes to food!

That's a great strategy! I've also found success with involving my picky eater in the cooking process. Assigning them specific tasks, like measuring ingredients or mixing things together, makes them feel more invested and proud of the meal. Plus, it helps them develop some kitchen skills!

Another thing that worked was creating a visual meal chart. Together, we'd plan and tick off the meals for the week, which encouraged her to try new foods and gave her a sense of ownership over her eating habits. It's amazing how getting kids involved in the decision-making can make mealtimes less stressful.

Keep us posted on your strategies too - it's such a tricky stage!

mother-and-kids-meal-1296-728-header.jpg

Those are some great tips! I've found success with getting my little ones to help cook too - especially with preparing salads, they love choosing and washing the veggies and making their own dressings! Also, involving them in grocery shopping has helped. They get to see and learn about all the different produce and are more likely to try something new if they've had a hand in selecting it. I agree that giving them some autonomy and encouraging their decisions goes such a long way!

Getting kids involved in the whole process, from shopping to preparation, is such a great idea! It really makes eating an exciting, educational experience. Having them choose and wash veggies, and even make their own dressings, is an excellent way to pique their interest in what can go into their bodies. Way to go, that's some fantastic parenting right there!

Thank you so much! It's amazing how empowering them with such simple tasks can really spark their interest in eating right. They feel so grown up helping mama/dada and it makes meal times actually enjoyable! We've found that having everyone involved also helps with being able to mix things up too - if the kids have had a hand in making it, they're much more open to trying new things.

Thank you so much! It's amazing how empowering them with such simple tasks can really spark their interest in eating right. They feel so grown up helping mama/dada and it makes meal times actually enjoyable! We've found that having everyone involved also helps with being able to mix things up too - if the kids have had a hand in making it, they're much more open to trying new things.
It's true; getting the little ones involved in preparing meals is an excellent way to encourage them to explore new foods and develop an interest in cooking and eating right! They learn some life skills and feel pride in their accomplishments too.

What creative ways have you found to make mealtimes fun and engaging for the whole family? After all, feeding struggles are real, and any hacks to make it more enjoyable are worth sharing!

It's true; getting the little ones involved in preparing meals is an excellent way to encourage them to explore new foods and develop an interest in cooking and eating right! They learn some life skills and feel pride in their accomplishments too.

What creative ways have you found to make mealtimes fun and engaging for the whole family? After all, feeding struggles are real, and any hacks to make it more enjoyable are worth sharing!
Mealtimes can certainly be a struggle, but having some fun and getting creative in the kitchen is definitely a great way to entice the little ones to explore new foods.

I remember making "Pizza Nights" a weekly thing when my kids were younger - a fun activity that also helped with their fine motor skills as they carefully placed the toppings on their own personal pizzas. And who doesn't love playing with their food, right?

Another hit was "Make Your Own Mini Burgers" - a hands-on activity that kept their little hands busy shaping the patties and putting together their own tiny burgers. I'd also sometimes set up a little salad bar with various toppings and dressings, which the kids enjoyed preparing and of course, Devouring.

These days, my kids are all about themes. We've had several successful "Under the Sea" dinners, with seafood dishes and ocean-themed fun. And who could resist a good old "BBQ Bash," where everyone gets to grill their food? (Of course, with adult supervision!) It's a great way to add some excitement to an ordinary meal.

So, plenty of creative ways to make feeding fun. Any parents here with more mealtime hacks to share?

Mealtimes can certainly be a struggle, but having some fun and getting creative in the kitchen is definitely a great way to entice the little ones to explore new foods.

I remember making "Pizza Nights" a weekly thing when my kids were younger - a fun activity that also helped with their fine motor skills as they carefully placed the toppings on their own personal pizzas. And who doesn't love playing with their food, right?

Another hit was "Make Your Own Mini Burgers" - a hands-on activity that kept their little hands busy shaping the patties and putting together their own tiny burgers. I'd also sometimes set up a little salad bar with various toppings and dressings, which the kids enjoyed preparing and of course, Devouring.

These days, my kids are all about themes. We've had several successful "Under the Sea" dinners, with seafood dishes and ocean-themed fun. And who could resist a good old "BBQ Bash," where everyone gets to grill their food? (Of course, with adult supervision!) It's a great way to add some excitement to an ordinary meal.

So, plenty of creative ways to make feeding fun. Any parents here with more mealtime hacks to share?
The key to getting kids to eat is to involve them in preparing the food. You'd have to dirty the house and yourself but it's worth it when they actually eat without a fuss! I used to get my son to make kebab sticks with various colorful fruits - an activity that doubled as a lesson on healthy snacking.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
That's a brilliant idea! Getting kids actively involved in preparing their food is a great way to pique their interest and make mealtime a fun experience. The visual appeal of colorful fruits on a kebab stick would definitely entice young eaters, and it's a wonderful opportunity to educate them about nutritious choices too. Well done!

Thank you so much! It's a strategy that has worked wonders for me and I'm sure it'll work for others too. Getting creative and making meal prep fun is such an engaging and educational way to introduce healthy eating habits. The kids end up enjoying it and it becomes a memorable experience rather than a battle. I'm happy to share ideas with anyone interested - the more fun food kebabs, the merrier! 😊

Thank you so much! It's a strategy that has worked wonders for me and I'm sure it'll work for others too. Getting creative and making meal prep fun is such an engaging and educational way to introduce healthy eating habits. The kids end up enjoying it and it becomes a memorable experience rather than a battle. I'm happy to share ideas with anyone interested - the more fun food kebabs, the merrier! 😊
Meal prep can definitely be a fun and creative activity for the whole family then becomes a pleasant memory of creating tasty treats together.

Meal prep can definitely be a fun and creative activity for the whole family then becomes a pleasant memory of creating tasty treats together.
it's awesome that we can turn meal times into family bonding sessions - especially getting the kids to help out. My boys love making their own kebab creations - with plenty of vegetables too! It makes eating fun and encourages them to be more adventurous with our tastes.

it's awesome that we can turn meal times into family bonding sessions - especially getting the kids to help out. My boys love making their own kebab creations - with plenty of vegetables too! It makes eating fun and encourages them to be more adventurous with our tastes.
Yes, it's a great way to expose kids to different textures and flavours and get them to try new foods when they've helped prepare the meal!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Yes, it's a great way to expose kids to different textures and flavours and get them to try new foods when they've helped prepare the meal!
That's true! They seem more willing to take that first bite when they've had a hand in preparing the food. It's also a good chance to introduce them to different cuisines and cultures - like Mediterranean food, in this case!

• Love
Reactions: eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu