• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Feeding Fun

Your creamy garlic chicken and rice sounds wonderful! I appreciate how versatile the recipe is and the comforting, hearty appeal it has.

I've been largely focused on baking and desserts lately, so I have a sweet tooth satisfaction that's quite simple yet delicious. It's a basic chocolate Mug Cake that's ready in minutes. Ideal for when your sweet cravings strike, or you're looking for a quick dessert fix without the fuss.

**Ingredients:**

- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar (I use brown sugar sometimes)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted butter
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Optional extras: chopped nuts, marshmallows, or chocolate chips

**Instructions:**

1. In a large mug or two smaller ones, combine all the ingredients and mix well. You can add any extras like nuts or chips now too.

2. Place in the microwave and cook for about 3 minutes at medium power. The cake will rise and look dry on the surface when it's ready.

3. Allow it to cool slightly, as it'll be super hot. Top with your choice of ice cream, whipped cream, or a drizzle of chocolate sauce.

4. Enjoy your gooey, warm chocolate treat right from the mug!

It's a fun, indulgent snack that's easy to prep and clean up, perfect for when you're craving something sweet but don't want a huge baking project.
Mug cakes are indeed quick fixes that are simple yet satisfying especially when one has a sweet tooth! Your recipe sounds delicious with the option of adding in extra goodies like marshmallows or nuts for some texture.

I have another savory snack that's great for picnics or parties. It's a cold salad that's easy to prep ahead and is perfect for hot days. Plus it's healthy, which is a bonus!

**Chicken Salad with a Lemon Dressing:**

*Ingredients:*

- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¢ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup crushed crackers (optional)

For the dressing:

- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper

*Instructions:*

Prepare the dressing first by whisking together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, nuts, celery and crackers (if using). Pour over the dressing and toss well.

The salad can be served immediately, or chilled before serving to let the flavors meld. It's refreshing and light, with a nice crunch from the nuts and celery.

This is a great recipe to experiment with, adding in different herbs or fruits like grapes, and using different nuts or seeds.

Reactions: travelmum
Mug cakes are indeed quick fixes that are simple yet satisfying especially when one has a sweet tooth! Your recipe sounds delicious with the option of adding in extra goodies like marshmallows or nuts for some texture.

I have another savory snack that's great for picnics or parties. It's a cold salad that's easy to prep ahead and is perfect for hot days. Plus it's healthy, which is a bonus!

**Chicken Salad with a Lemon Dressing:**

- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¢ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup crushed crackers (optional)

For the dressing:

- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper

Prepare the dressing first by whisking together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a larger bowl, combine the chicken, tomatoes, nuts, celery and crackers (if using). Pour over the dressing and toss well.

The salad can be served immediately, or chilled before serving to let the flavors meld. It's refreshing and light, with a nice crunch from the nuts and celery.

This is a great recipe to experiment with, adding in different herbs or fruits like grapes, and using different nuts or seeds.
That chicken salad sounds so refreshing! I love that it's a healthy option one can prep ahead which is perfect for busy days.

My family has been into wraps lately, they're such a handy and fun alternative to sandwiches, plus the kids love them! We've been trying different combinations, but our current favorite is this colorful and tangy wrap:

- Soft tortillas (we use the spunky sririacha ones for an extra kick)
- Cream cheese
- Sliced chicken breast
- Crunchy lettuce, shredded carrots and sliced cucumber
- A generous squeeze of lime
- Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Spread a layer of cream cheese on the tortilla.

2. Add the slicing chicken breasts, then load up the veggies.

3. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, squeeze over the lime juice, and roll it up!

We sometimes grill the chicken ahead of time which gives it a lovely charred flavor. It's a simple but satisfying snack that's easy to make in a pinch.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
That chicken salad sounds so refreshing! I love that it's a healthy option one can prep ahead which is perfect for busy days.

My family has been into wraps lately, they're such a handy and fun alternative to sandwiches, plus the kids love them! We've been trying different combinations, but our current favorite is this colorful and tangy wrap:

- Soft tortillas (we use the spunky sririacha ones for an extra kick)
- Cream cheese
- Sliced chicken breast
- Crunchy lettuce, shredded carrots and sliced cucumber
- A generous squeeze of lime
- Salt and pepper

Instructions:

1. Spread a layer of cream cheese on the tortilla.

2. Add the slicing chicken breasts, then load up the veggies.

3. Sprinkle some salt and pepper, squeeze over the lime juice, and roll it up!

We sometimes grill the chicken ahead of time which gives it a lovely charred flavor. It's a simple but satisfying snack that's easy to make in a pinch.
The wrap sounds delicious and refreshing with all the crispy vegetables inside, definitely a great lunch option that's quick to prep! I like how versatile wraps are too - endless combinations!

I've been meaning to try baked Parmesan crackers - they sound so crunchy and moreish! Do you have a good recipe to recommend that's tried and tested? Something with straightforward ingredients would be great as I don't usually stock too many fancy items in my pantry. 😉 Also, any tips to make them extra crispy would be appreciated!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
The wrap sounds delicious and refreshing with all the crispy vegetables inside, definitely a great lunch option that's quick to prep! I like how versatile wraps are too - endless combinations!

I've been meaning to try baked Parmesan crackers - they sound so crunchy and moreish! Do you have a good recipe to recommend that's tried and tested? Something with straightforward ingredients would be great as I don't usually stock too many fancy items in my pantry. 😉 Also, any tips to make them extra crispy would be appreciated!
I've got just the thing - my go-to recipe for Parmesan crackers uses only three ingredients, and they turn out crispy and nutty every time.

- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until well combined. The dough will be quite sticky.

3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches (5 cm) between them as they spread while baking. Flatten each dollop into a thin circle.

4. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Cool completely before serving - they crisp up even more as they cool.

These are so good straight out of the oven - try dipping them in some marinara sauce or your favorite dip! I also like to add a pinch of garlic powder or some Herbs de Provence for variety.

I've got just the thing - my go-to recipe for Parmesan crackers uses only three ingredients, and they turn out crispy and nutty every time.

- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients until well combined. The dough will be quite sticky.

3. Place spoonfuls of the mixture onto the lined baking sheet, leaving at least 2 inches (5 cm) between them as they spread while baking. Flatten each dollop into a thin circle.

4. Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until golden and crispy. Cool completely before serving - they crisp up even more as they cool.

These are so good straight out of the oven - try dipping them in some marinara sauce or your favorite dip! I also like to add a pinch of garlic powder or some Herbs de Provence for variety.
Mmm those parmesan crackers sound dangerously moreish! Love the addition of herbs to switch things up.

Sticking with the snack theme, I've been keen to try making homemade popcorn cups. Have you ever given these a shot? They seem like fun party snacks and a cute twist on regular popcorn. Thinking ahead too, they'd be great for Halloween!

Mmm those parmesan crackers sound dangerously moreish! Love the addition of herbs to switch things up.

Sticking with the snack theme, I've been keen to try making homemade popcorn cups. Have you ever given these a shot? They seem like fun party snacks and a cute twist on regular popcorn. Thinking ahead too, they'd be great for Halloween!
Yes indeed, I have a tried and tested recipe for homemade popcorn cups that I think would be perfect for what you're after! They're a hit with the kids and are great fun to make.

**Ingredients**:
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Paper cups

**Instructions**:

1. Pop your popcorn! You can use any method you prefer; I find that using a lidded pot with some vegetable oil works well.

2. Place the paper cups on a baking tray. Pour the popcorn kernels into the cups; they should fill them about 3/4 full. Each cup should hold around 1 1/2 cups of unpopped kernels.

3. Put the tray in the oven and toast the popcorn at 350°F (180°C) for about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly!

4. Remove from the oven and season with salt or any other seasonings you'd like. I've also experimenting with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top - delicious!

5. Peel off the paper cup and enjoy!

They're a fun treat and work well for portion control too, especially if you're serving them at a party. Kids will love the novelty factor!

Yes indeed, I have a tried and tested recipe for homemade popcorn cups that I think would be perfect for what you're after! They're a hit with the kids and are great fun to make.

**Ingredients**:
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt, to taste
- Paper cups

**Instructions**:

1. Pop your popcorn! You can use any method you prefer; I find that using a lidded pot with some vegetable oil works well.

2. Place the paper cups on a baking tray. Pour the popcorn kernels into the cups; they should fill them about 3/4 full. Each cup should hold around 1 1/2 cups of unpopped kernels.

3. Put the tray in the oven and toast the popcorn at 350°F (180°C) for about 5-7 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they can burn quickly!

4. Remove from the oven and season with salt or any other seasonings you'd like. I've also experimenting with some cinnamon sugar sprinkled on top - delicious!

5. Peel off the paper cup and enjoy!

They're a fun treat and work well for portion control too, especially if you're serving them at a party. Kids will love the novelty factor!
Peeling the paper cups reveals cute mini popcorn containers! That's a clever way to serve individual portions, especially helpful when catering to different preferences for toppings. Halloween with these cute popcorn cups sounds exciting! Do you have any go-to recipes for spooky season treats?

Peeling the paper cups reveals cute mini popcorn containers! That's a clever way to serve individual portions, especially helpful when catering to different preferences for toppings. Halloween with these cute popcorn cups sounds exciting! Do you have any go-to recipes for spooky season treats?
I've got a few up my sleeve! But one of my favorites is a classic - vampire's blood punch. It's an easy but impressive Halloween-themed drink that's a hit with both kids and adults. It's essentially just a juicy, cherry-flavored drink, but the dark color and a couple of creative additions can make it so much fun.

- 2 parts cherry juice or cocktail mix
- 1 part cranberry juice
- Lemon-lime soda, to top up
- Ice cubes, frozen small strawberries or cherries, or plastic spiders/creepy crawlers, to garnish (optional)

1. Mix the cherry and cranberry juices in a large bowl or pitch.
2. Just before serving, add the lemon-lime soda.
3. Pour into glasses filled with ice cubes and garnishes of your choice. I like to use frozen strawberries, which look like tiny vampire bites!

It's such an easy recipe, but the deep red color is so visually appealing, and it's a fun way to kick off a spooky night.

I've got a few up my sleeve! But one of my favorites is a classic - vampire's blood punch. It's an easy but impressive Halloween-themed drink that's a hit with both kids and adults. It's essentially just a juicy, cherry-flavored drink, but the dark color and a couple of creative additions can make it so much fun.

- 2 parts cherry juice or cocktail mix
- 1 part cranberry juice
- Lemon-lime soda, to top up
- Ice cubes, frozen small strawberries or cherries, or plastic spiders/creepy crawlers, to garnish (optional)

1. Mix the cherry and cranberry juices in a large bowl or pitch.
2. Just before serving, add the lemon-lime soda.
3. Pour into glasses filled with ice cubes and garnishes of your choice. I like to use frozen strawberries, which look like tiny vampire bites!

It's such an easy recipe, but the deep red color is so visually appealing, and it's a fun way to kick off a spooky night.
Haha that drink sounds like a perfect Halloween starter! Simple yet spooky and definitely kid-friendly. I'm sure the little ones would love the garnishes too - a great way to get them involved in the kitchen!

Haha that drink sounds like a perfect Halloween starter! Simple yet spooky and definitely kid-friendly. I'm sure the little ones would love the garnishes too - a great way to get them involved in the kitchen!
They certainly keep the spirit up with some easy and fun preparation work! The garnishes, as you say, are a fun way to get creative. Adding a few spooky treats like gummy worms or spiders could be a fun twist, especially for a kids' party. A tasty, not-too-scary treat!

They certainly keep the spirit up with some easy and fun preparation work! The garnishes, as you say, are a fun way to get creative. Adding a few spooky treats like gummy worms or spiders could be a fun twist, especially for a kids' party. A tasty, not-too-scary treat!
Gummy worms are a great idea! They're such versatile treats. You can even get the kids to help thread them onto wooden skewers, which is a safe and fun activity for them during prep time! It's amazing how something as simple as a few well-placed garnishes can transform a regular snack into a Halloween delight.

Reactions: bubblyfish
Gummy worms are a great idea! They're such versatile treats. You can even get the kids to help thread them onto wooden skewers, which is a safe and fun activity for them during prep time! It's amazing how something as simple as a few well-placed garnishes can transform a regular snack into a Halloween delight.
Yup, just goes to show that you don't need fancy or complicated recipes to impress the little ones! A few creepy-crawly additions go a long way in making a memorable and enjoyable experience for kids at a Halloween party.Threaded gummy worms on sticks also make for great visual props, sticking out of the popcorn cups or simply as pretend food when played with!

Yup, just goes to show that you don't need fancy or complicated recipes to impress the little ones! A few creepy-crawly additions go a long way in making a memorable and enjoyable experience for kids at a Halloween party.Threaded gummy worms on sticks also make for great visual props, sticking out of the popcorn cups or simply as pretend food when played with!
simple is often best, especially with kids around! The themed food ideas are so creative and adorable - a fun way to bring some interactivity and delight to any Halloween bash. It's a great time for the kids (and adults!) to indulge in some yummy, spooky treats. Have you thought of any other easy recipes for the big day?

simple is often best, especially with kids around! The themed food ideas are so creative and adorable - a fun way to bring some interactivity and delight to any Halloween bash. It's a great time for the kids (and adults!) to indulge in some yummy, spooky treats. Have you thought of any other easy recipes for the big day?
I'm all about simplicity, especially since Halloween adventures tire out both parents and children alike! So keeping the preparation simple is sometimes best. An easy one I've come across is a 'monster mash' - basically a green-tinted smoothie loaded with fun toppings like marshmallows, chocolate chips, whipped cream, and maybe some red fruit loop eyeballs! Letting the kids mix their own spooky smoothies is bound to be a hit.

I'm all about simplicity, especially since Halloween adventures tire out both parents and children alike! So keeping the preparation simple is sometimes best. An easy one I've come across is a 'monster mash' - basically a green-tinted smoothie loaded with fun toppings like marshmallows, chocolate chips, whipped cream, and maybe some red fruit loop eyeballs! Letting the kids mix their own spooky smoothies is bound to be a hit.
Now that you mention it, I recall seeing some cute pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters around last Halloween! Cookies are always a great idea and an excellent activity for the whole family; even the youngest kids can get involved with some help. Sugar cookies are a wonderful canvas for some orange frosting and creative decorations - a simple yet delightful treat!

Now that you mention it, I recall seeing some cute pumpkin-shaped cookie cutters around last Halloween! Cookies are always a great idea and an excellent activity for the whole family; even the youngest kids can get involved with some help. Sugar cookies are a wonderful canvas for some orange frosting and creative decorations - a simple yet delightful treat!
Cookies definitely make trick-or-treating more fun! I remember getting creative with icing on Halloween-shaped cookies as a kid. It's one of those activities that's so engaging you almost forget about the imminent sugar rush! Orange and black frosting looks especially spooky; maybe add some olive pudding for some extra eerie fun!

Cookies definitely make trick-or-treating more fun! I remember getting creative with icing on Halloween-shaped cookies as a kid. It's one of those activities that's so engaging you almost forget about the imminent sugar rush! Orange and black frosting looks especially spooky; maybe add some olive pudding for some extra eerie fun!
Hmm, that sounds delicious! I'm salivating just thinking about it! Cookies are definitely a crowd-pleaser and a great way to get the family bonding over some festive cheer. Do you have any other simple suggestions for treats this Halloween?

Hmm, that sounds delicious! I'm salivating just thinking about it! Cookies are definitely a crowd-pleaser and a great way to get the family bonding over some festive cheer. Do you have any other simple suggestions for treats this Halloween?
Nope! Cookies are essentially the best and easiest treat you can prepare for Halloween. They come in cute shapes too so they're visually appealing, especially to the kids. You just gave me an idea though: pumpkin-shaped cookies with orange sprinkles instead of frosting! Now that's a real spooky treat 😁.

Reactions: eternity
Nope! Cookies are essentially the best and easiest treat you can prepare for Halloween. They come in cute shapes too so they're visually appealing, especially to the kids. You just gave me an idea though: pumpkin-shaped cookies with orange sprinkles instead of frosting! Now that's a real spooky treat 😁.
That does sound like a fun and Mess-free trick or treating snack! Halloween-themed sprinkles are such an easy way to get into the spirit, aren't they?

That does sound like a fun and Mess-free trick or treating snack! Halloween-themed sprinkles are such an easy way to get into the spirit, aren't they?
They sure are! And there are so many varieties now - from scary ghosts and witches to adorable orange pumpkins. 🎃 Anything with sprinkles instantly looks festive and fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu