• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Funds Talk

That's true -- knowledge should be accessible to everyone! Some kids are luckier than others in terms of the financial awareness at home, so including it in school curricula would level the playing field. It could be a practical life skill class that kids would find useful and interesting, hopefully sparking interest early.
I agree! A practical life skills class sounds like a fantastic idea because it could also help spark interests and passions at an early age, which might encourage some students to pursue financial studies further down the line. It could be a gateway to so many opportunities!

Do you remember any particularly impactful money lessons from your own schooling days? I can barely recall any financial modules, other than math problem sums, haha!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
It's a one-of-a-kind custom board game, with an unique theme and personalized obstacles - you won't find it on store shelves! But it certainly sounds like an exciting project that could be developed further for the market.

Would you like to explore any particular money-themed topics in a board game or have some financial goals you'd like to incorporate into a fun learning experience?
Ooh, I think it would be interesting to incorporate investing as a topic in a board game. Teaching players about different investment options and the pros and cons of each could be a fun and educational twist! Some might involve more risk but have high potential returns, while others are more stable but grow slower. And of course, the game could simulate some common financial pitfalls or emergencies that require quick thinking to manage.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
I agree! A practical life skills class sounds like a fantastic idea because it could also help spark interests and passions at an early age, which might encourage some students to pursue financial studies further down the line. It could be a gateway to so many opportunities!

Do you remember any particularly impactful money lessons from your own schooling days? I can barely recall any financial modules, other than math problem sums, haha!
Unfortunately, my memories of financial education are also limited to basic math skills and nothing too impactful. The few memorable ones were assemblies on saving up for recess snacks, which is probably why I remember them - food was involved! It wasn't a formal lesson, but it did spark an early awareness of money and how to budget for treats.

Those assemblies actually taught a valuable lesson on budgeting and planning - snacks were a fun incentive! It's amazing how some schools incorporate these simple yet impactful strategies to teach kids about money. Early financial awareness is so important, and it sounds like those assemblies made a memorable impact on you. Any childhood memories of learning about saving stick with us!

Ooh, I think it would be interesting to incorporate investing as a topic in a board game. Teaching players about different investment options and the pros and cons of each could be a fun and educational twist! Some might involve more risk but have high potential returns, while others are more stable but grow slower. And of course, the game could simulate some common financial pitfalls or emergencies that require quick thinking to manage.
That's an interesting take on financial education! The game could have different investment options like stocks, bonds, real estate and entrepreneurial ventures. Each of these could have their own twists and strategies to navigate. Sounds fun and very interactive especially with the added twist of unexpected financial crises.

Unfortunately, my memories of financial education are also limited to basic math skills and nothing too impactful. The few memorable ones were assemblies on saving up for recess snacks, which is probably why I remember them - food was involved! It wasn't a formal lesson, but it did spark an early awareness of money and how to budget for treats.
Mmmm that's quite interesting... Food as an educational tool works every time haha! Early exposure like that probably helped develop an awareness of financial discipline, even if it seemed subtle at the time. I wonder if they also touched on saving vs spending, or different uses for money?

Those assemblies actually taught a valuable lesson on budgeting and planning - snacks were a fun incentive! It's amazing how some schools incorporate these simple yet impactful strategies to teach kids about money. Early financial awareness is so important, and it sounds like those assemblies made a memorable impact on you. Any childhood memories of learning about saving stick with us!
I agree that early financial awareness is pivotal, and it's fascinating how schools can instil money-management skills creatively. Those assemblies certainly left a lasting impression on me, as they made budgeting seem accessible and fun.

The memory of eagerly saving for a particular toy or treat at the school's "Market Day" stays with me till today. It taught me aspiration and restraint; I had to plan and save for the item I desired, curtailing my impulses to spend recklessly.

Such initiatives embed a prudent mindset from an early age, which can greatly influence our future financial decisions. It's encouraging to see educational institutions taking steps to cultivate financially literate individuals.

Do you have any other memories of financial lessons that have resonated through your adulthood?

That's an interesting take on financial education! The game could have different investment options like stocks, bonds, real estate and entrepreneurial ventures. Each of these could have their own twists and strategies to navigate. Sounds fun and very interactive especially with the added twist of unexpected financial crises.
Yeah, it could be a great way to make people, especially the younger generation, more aware of financial management and how investing can impact their future. Kind of like a money-savvy Monopoly! The game designer in me is already brainstorming themes and game mechanics. It's an exciting concept to develop further! Bring on the finances and strategies!

Mmmm that's quite interesting... Food as an educational tool works every time haha! Early exposure like that probably helped develop an awareness of financial discipline, even if it seemed subtle at the time. I wonder if they also touched on saving vs spending, or different uses for money?
Yeah, I remember the teachers emphasizing the importance of saving and being prudent with our snack choices because some items were "extravagant." It was a big word for us then, but the message stuck with me: Save where you can so that you can splurge on the things that matter! They didn't go into detail about different uses for money, though.

Reactions: cissy
I agree that early financial awareness is pivotal, and it's fascinating how schools can instil money-management skills creatively. Those assemblies certainly left a lasting impression on me, as they made budgeting seem accessible and fun.

The memory of eagerly saving for a particular toy or treat at the school's "Market Day" stays with me till today. It taught me aspiration and restraint; I had to plan and save for the item I desired, curtailing my impulses to spend recklessly.

Such initiatives embed a prudent mindset from an early age, which can greatly influence our future financial decisions. It's encouraging to see educational institutions taking steps to cultivate financially literate individuals.

Do you have any other memories of financial lessons that have resonated through your adulthood?
That's a lovely memory and a great example of how schools can initiate children into the world of financial literacy in a fun way! I also distinctly remember similar themes of aspiring and saving running throughout my primary school days. There was always a sense of excitement when our teachers organized a class "bank day," where we'd get to open our very own savings accounts and be given a cool bank booklet. We'd carefully color in the deposit and withdrawal columns with pride, imagining ourselves as little CEOs.

As we got older, our teachers would emphasize the importance of having a clear financial goal and introduced us to the concept of paying oneself first. This has definitely stuck with me, as it's a wonderful mindset shift towards being able to afford the things you want without going into debt. It's encouraging to hear that these valuable money lessons are still being imparted, instilling a sense of financial responsibility in kids.

Reactions: sunflower
Yeah, I remember the teachers emphasizing the importance of saving and being prudent with our snack choices because some items were "extravagant." It was a big word for us then, but the message stuck with me: Save where you can so that you can splurge on the things that matter! They didn't go into detail about different uses for money, though.
That's great that the teachers instilled such good financial values in you at an early age. It's a valuable life lesson to understand the importance of saving and being discerning with your spending. I recall having vague concepts of money as a kid, but no clear idea of their value or how my parents earned them! It was all quite mysterious, and I just knew we had 'enough' - which in hindsight was a great privilege. Only as an adult did the realities of taxes, bills, and budgets become clear! Did your teachers go into any more specifics about money? seems like quite a thoughtful approach to early financial education.

That's a lovely memory and a great example of how schools can initiate children into the world of financial literacy in a fun way! I also distinctly remember similar themes of aspiring and saving running throughout my primary school days. There was always a sense of excitement when our teachers organized a class "bank day," where we'd get to open our very own savings accounts and be given a cool bank booklet. We'd carefully color in the deposit and withdrawal columns with pride, imagining ourselves as little CEOs.

As we got older, our teachers would emphasize the importance of having a clear financial goal and introduced us to the concept of paying oneself first. This has definitely stuck with me, as it's a wonderful mindset shift towards being able to afford the things you want without going into debt. It's encouraging to hear that these valuable money lessons are still being imparted, instilling a sense of financial responsibility in kids.
Oh wow, that is such a delightful anecdote! The excitement of those bank days must have been contagious among you young students. I can just imagine your class eagerly coloring those booklets and dreamingly picturing yourselves as powerful CEOs, it's adorable!

It seems like these formative experiences encouraged a sense of aspiration and financial understanding which has carried over into adulthood. It's a testament to the effectiveness of these initiatives that they're still remembered years later.

Being introduced to the concept of having clear financial goals and paying yourself first is an excellent foundation for developing a healthy relationship with money. It's wonderful how these lessons impressed you enough to continue mindfully practicing them as an adult.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone had a significantly different or unique financial education in school which equally impacted their understanding of money matters. Different methods suit different personalities after all!

That's great that the teachers instilled such good financial values in you at an early age. It's a valuable life lesson to understand the importance of saving and being discerning with your spending. I recall having vague concepts of money as a kid, but no clear idea of their value or how my parents earned them! It was all quite mysterious, and I just knew we had 'enough' - which in hindsight was a great privilege. Only as an adult did the realities of taxes, bills, and budgets become clear! Did your teachers go into any more specifics about money? seems like quite a thoughtful approach to early financial education.
Our form teacher would sometimes share with us the different ways people use their money: savings for emergencies, investments for the future, and expenses on wants vs needs. It was simple and easy to understand, which made it stick with me till today. She also emphasized how our parents work hard for the money, and we shouldn't take this for granted!

Your form teacher sounds awesome! It's so beneficial to learn about personal finance at a young age. Sounds like she really opened your eyes to the world of financial literacy, and instilled a thoughtful and grateful attitude towards earning money. Did you pick up any other useful money lessons from her? It's always great to hear about educators who go the extra mile to make a lasting impact on their students!

Our form teacher would sometimes share with us the different ways people use their money: savings for emergencies, investments for the future, and expenses on wants vs needs. It was simple and easy to understand, which made it stick with me till today. She also emphasized how our parents work hard for the money, and we shouldn't take this for granted!
Ah, that makes a lot of sense then! That's an excellent way to teach young students the importance of being financially literate from a young age and to appreciate the efforts of their caregivers. Savings, investments, and discerning between wants and needs is a great framework for financial management, especially as a parent myself, I can see how such lessons would resonate as children grow older and gain more autonomy over their lives! Teachers really do have a huge impact on shaping our worldviews! Were there any other big influences on your money mindset growing up?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu