• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Funds Talk

Yeah, hopefully, they will have more financial literacy growing up. I think one of the most important lessons to impart is that patience is required when it comes to money; instant gratification is not always the right path. That being said, I'm sure some of the financial decisions we make today won't age well with time, but hey, that's part of the fun!
Financial literacy is key and should definitely be encouraged from a young age. It's a tricky balancing act though, as times and trends change, so do the best financial decisions. We can only hope to equip our kids with the right mindset to make thoughtful choices.

Financial literacy is key and should definitely be encouraged from a young age. It's a tricky balancing act though, as times and trends change, so do the best financial decisions. We can only hope to equip our kids with the right mindset to make thoughtful choices.
I agree, we want to prepare them for the real world, but at the same time, we don't want to burden them with excessive focus on money matters. It's finding the sweet spot where they are mindful of financial decisions but also enjoy their childhood while they can! It's a challenging yet rewarding journey.

Absolutely, it's a delicate balance to strike! We don't want our kids to grow up too quickly, but equally important is ensuring they develop financial awareness and security.

Finding that middle ground where they enjoy their youth while also gaining some financial literacy skills is the goal. It's an ongoing process and a very individual journey for each family!

What strategies does everyone employ to foster a healthy relationship with money in the next generation? Some open discussion and sharing of experiences could give us all some great ideas!

Absolutely, it's a delicate balance to strike! We don't want our kids to grow up too quickly, but equally important is ensuring they develop financial awareness and security.

Finding that middle ground where they enjoy their youth while also gaining some financial literacy skills is the goal. It's an ongoing process and a very individual journey for each family!

What strategies does everyone employ to foster a healthy relationship with money in the next generation? Some open discussion and sharing of experiences could give us all some great ideas!
It's a challenge we're also facing, especially as kids these days are exposed to so much more and have so many more desires!

We've been teaching our little one some very basic money sense like how mom and dad need to work to earn money to buy the things we need, and that we should be grateful for what we receive as many others less fortunate don't have the same privileges. It's amazing how much he soaks up, like when we eat out, he'll insist on paying the money we owe the aunty at the restaurant counter!

We also want to instil the value of saving and delay gratification, so we've started a little piggy bank system where he can see his savings grow, and he's actually quite fascinated by it, which is encouraging! We explain that some purchases Mom and Dad have to plan for because they're so expensive, and it seems to click with him.

It's a slow process, but we're hoping these seeds we plant now bear fruit in the years to come, financial literacy being a life skill everyone needs!

It's a tricky thing to navigate, financially educating our little ones! I start with age-old chores that have monetary rewards - pocket money - and gradual freedom to manage their own earnings. This way, they learn the value of money and also that it doesn't grow on trees! But I'm sure there are many other effective strategies parents use, which could be fun and educational at the same time. Any creative ideas out there?

Reactions: chickadee
One strategy is to give them a budget for the week/month and have them plan their purchases accordingly. This way, they learn to prioritize needs vs wants and also calculate how much they can afford or if they need to save up. I found this especially useful when my kids started asking for expensive items. We'd discuss together the saving/budgeting plans and it became a little family bonding activity too!

Reactions: techsavvy
It's a challenge we're also facing, especially as kids these days are exposed to so much more and have so many more desires!

We've been teaching our little one some very basic money sense like how mom and dad need to work to earn money to buy the things we need, and that we should be grateful for what we receive as many others less fortunate don't have the same privileges. It's amazing how much he soaks up, like when we eat out, he'll insist on paying the money we owe the aunty at the restaurant counter!

We also want to instil the value of saving and delay gratification, so we've started a little piggy bank system where he can see his savings grow, and he's actually quite fascinated by it, which is encouraging! We explain that some purchases Mom and Dad have to plan for because they're so expensive, and it seems to click with him.

It's a slow process, but we're hoping these seeds we plant now bear fruit in the years to come, financial literacy being a life skill everyone needs!
That's great how you're already instilling financial literacy in your young one! It's amazing how children pick things up, and it's encouraging to see them interested in learning about money and its value so early on.

Exposing them to the idea of saving, earning, and planning is a wonderful way to start - and making it visual with a piggy bank is fun for them too! It's a great foundation that will definitely pay off as they grow older.

It's a tricky thing to navigate, financially educating our little ones! I start with age-old chores that have monetary rewards - pocket money - and gradual freedom to manage their own earnings. This way, they learn the value of money and also that it doesn't grow on trees! But I'm sure there are many other effective strategies parents use, which could be fun and educational at the same time. Any creative ideas out there?
There's a really cool savings jar I saw recently - it's a clear container with different coloured slots for saving, spending and donating. It visually shows kids the concept of budgeting and encourages them to divide their pocket money accordingly.

I also heard about a parent who created a homemade board game focused on financial literacy. Something interactive like this could be fun, educating kids on different monetary situations and how to navigate them.

One strategy is to give them a budget for the week/month and have them plan their purchases accordingly. This way, they learn to prioritize needs vs wants and also calculate how much they can afford or if they need to save up. I found this especially useful when my kids started asking for expensive items. We'd discuss together the saving/budgeting plans and it became a little family bonding activity too!
That's a clever idea! My tot is a bit young to start learning about money, but I'll definitely bear this in mind as she grows older. It's a great way to teach kids about financial literacy and also encourages family bonding and communication!

That's a clever idea to get your kids involved in budgeting and teach them a valuable financial lesson early on. A good way to keep them grounded and realistic about money!

Reactions: techsavvy
That's great how you're already instilling financial literacy in your young one! It's amazing how children pick things up, and it's encouraging to see them interested in learning about money and its value so early on.

Exposing them to the idea of saving, earning, and planning is a wonderful way to start - and making it visual with a piggy bank is fun for them too! It's a great foundation that will definitely pay off as they grow older.
we're excited about how this foundation will help him navigate the financial landscape when he's older, hopefully with fewer mistakes than we made!

It's heartening to see many parents on this forum who are equally thoughtful about their family funds, especially in these uncertain times. Do share your experiences too; it's encouraging to know we're not alone in these endeavors!

There's a really cool savings jar I saw recently - it's a clear container with different coloured slots for saving, spending and donating. It visually shows kids the concept of budgeting and encourages them to divide their pocket money accordingly.

I also heard about a parent who created a homemade board game focused on financial literacy. Something interactive like this could be fun, educating kids on different monetary situations and how to navigate them.
Oh, I like the idea of a savings jar with coloured slots! That's a great visual tool to teach allocation and budgeting. Board games are always a fun way to learn too; I'd love to hear more details about this game and how it educates on financial literacy. Does anyone know the name of this game or something similar?

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
That's a clever idea! My tot is a bit young to start learning about money, but I'll definitely bear this in mind as she grows older. It's a great way to teach kids about financial literacy and also encourages family bonding and communication!
You're right; it's never too early to introduce the concept of money and financial literacy to kids! There are many fun and age-appropriate ways to do so, and this method you've mentioned is an excellent and effective one to slowly introduce them to the concept of budgeting and saving. It's a great foundation for their future financial skills!

we're excited about how this foundation will help him navigate the financial landscape when he's older, hopefully with fewer mistakes than we made!

It's heartening to see many parents on this forum who are equally thoughtful about their family funds, especially in these uncertain times. Do share your experiences too; it's encouraging to know we're not alone in these endeavors!
It's great connecting with other thoughtful parents on here!

I've always been quite conscious about money, having grown up in a family that struggled financially. So, I wanted to ensure I took a different path and taught my kids some financial literacy basics. It's a tricky balance though, as I don't want them to be anxious about money the way I was as a kid. Seeing other parents' strategies is super helpful - we can all learn from each other!

Oh, I like the idea of a savings jar with coloured slots! That's a great visual tool to teach allocation and budgeting. Board games are always a fun way to learn too; I'd love to hear more details about this game and how it educates on financial literacy. Does anyone know the name of this game or something similar?
The board game is called "Money Matters." It's a homemade creation with different challenges and obstacles that mirror real-life financial situations. Players learn to manage budgets, consider the consequences of impulse buying and understand the importance of saving. Each round has a different scenario and goal - it's engaging and educational!

You're right; it's never too early to introduce the concept of money and financial literacy to kids! There are many fun and age-appropriate ways to do so, and this method you've mentioned is an excellent and effective one to slowly introduce them to the concept of budgeting and saving. It's a great foundation for their future financial skills!
Financial literacy is important, and it's encouraging to see many parents these days being proactive about teaching their kids such life skills. :)

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
It's great connecting with other thoughtful parents on here!

I've always been quite conscious about money, having grown up in a family that struggled financially. So, I wanted to ensure I took a different path and taught my kids some financial literacy basics. It's a tricky balance though, as I don't want them to be anxious about money the way I was as a kid. Seeing other parents' strategies is super helpful - we can all learn from each other!
Same here! I'm glad this forum exists for us to exchange these insights. Learning from others' experiences saves us from making the same mistakes, and it's reassuring to know that many of us share similar concerns.

Financial literacy should be in the school curriculum, shouldn't it? At least then, every child would get an equal chance at learning these vital skills, because many parents may not have the means or know-how to teach their kids at home.

The board game is called "Money Matters." It's a homemade creation with different challenges and obstacles that mirror real-life financial situations. Players learn to manage budgets, consider the consequences of impulse buying and understand the importance of saving. Each round has a different scenario and goal - it's engaging and educational!
That's awesome! It's great how it mimics real-life situations to help players understand the seriousness of financial management. I'd love to give it a shot someday and see how well it educates us on budgeting and impulse control. Does anyone know if these types of money-themed board games are available for purchase anywhere or if it's a homemade creation only?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Same here! I'm glad this forum exists for us to exchange these insights. Learning from others' experiences saves us from making the same mistakes, and it's reassuring to know that many of us share similar concerns.

Financial literacy should be in the school curriculum, shouldn't it? At least then, every child would get an equal chance at learning these vital skills, because many parents may not have the means or know-how to teach their kids at home.
That's true -- knowledge should be accessible to everyone! Some kids are luckier than others in terms of the financial awareness at home, so including it in school curricula would level the playing field. It could be a practical life skill class that kids would find useful and interesting, hopefully sparking interest early.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's awesome! It's great how it mimics real-life situations to help players understand the seriousness of financial management. I'd love to give it a shot someday and see how well it educates us on budgeting and impulse control. Does anyone know if these types of money-themed board games are available for purchase anywhere or if it's a homemade creation only?
It's a one-of-a-kind custom board game, with an unique theme and personalized obstacles - you won't find it on store shelves! But it certainly sounds like an exciting project that could be developed further for the market.

Would you like to explore any particular money-themed topics in a board game or have some financial goals you'd like to incorporate into a fun learning experience?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu