• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Family Finances

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Family finances can be a tricky topic, but a necessary one to navigate!

What are some of your personal strategies for budgeting as a family? Do you have any clever ways of keeping costs down without sacrificing fun and enjoyment? Or perhaps you have an effective system for managing household expenses and keeping everyone on the same page?

Share your tips and tricks and let's help each other out!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia

What are some of your personal strategies for budgeting as a family? Do you have any clever ways of keeping costs down without sacrificing fun and enjoyment? Or perhaps you have an effective system for managing household expenses and keeping everyone on the same page?

As a single parent, I budget using a simple rule of three. I divide our total monthly expenses into three broad categories: needs, wants, and savings. This way, we don't overspend on non-essential items and still enjoy some indulgences as a family. It's a visual approach that my kids can also understand.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and mamamia

As a single mom, budgeting is tight, so I've had to learn creative ways to keep costs low while still having fun. One strategy is subscribing to a cheap streaming service for some quality family time instead of spending on expensive cinema tickets. At $9.90 a month, the latest cartoons and movies are accessible. I also plan ahead and stock up on groceries, which saves impulse buying, and cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and sunnydays

As an event planner, I'm used to keeping track of budgets, so I use a similar strategy for my family finances. I create an annual budget plan which divides our expenses into categories like housing, transportation, entertainment, utilities, etc., with subcategories for each.

Each month I review and assess our spending, which helps me to identify any unexpected increases or decreases in costs, and adjust the next month's budget accordingly. This also helps me to plan ahead for any large or unexpected expenses.

For example, last year we spent quite a bit extra on medical bills, so I made sure to budget more for healthcare this year. Creating this detailed budget plan ensures we can maintain a healthy financial situation and still enjoy the occasional indulgence. It's satisfying to know exactly where our money is going!

My ex was bad with money so I did the household budgeting. I kept him on a short leash - literally a monthly allowance that he could spend on anything he wanted including eating out, drinks with his friends etc. That way I knew the bills and necessary expenses were covered. It's survival of the fittest; you gotta do what works for your family without being too harsh.

As a single parent, I budget using a simple rule of three. I divide our total monthly expenses into three broad categories: needs, wants, and savings. This way, we don't overspend on non-essential items and still enjoy some indulgences as a family. It's a visual approach that my kids can also understand.
I'm not a single parent, but we also allocate our family expenses using the 'Rule of Three' pots. It's a simple and effective system to manage our finances and ensure we don't blow our budget on unnecessary expenses.

We do something similar too! I call it the 'Survival Fund Allocation' method or SFA for short. Sounds more official that way.

Basically, we split our funds into 3 accounts:

1. Essentials - For all the necessary expenses like rent/mortgage, utilities, groceries, transportation, etc.

2. Fun & Leisure - This is our discretionary fund for eating out, movie tickets, vacations, toys and games. The kids have a say in deciding how we allocate this budget, so they're invested in the decision-making process.

3. contingency/Savings - We put aside an amount each month for emergencies and future goals like replacing the old TV or saving up for a rainy day. The temptation to dip into this fund is strong, but we try hard to resist!

Having these separate budgets lets us manage expectations and teaches the kids some financial discipline too. And that's the gist of my budgeting strategy - involving the family, keeping it visual and simple, and ensuring we all understand our contributions. It's comforting to know that everyone's on the same financial page.

We keep costs down by prioritizing. Needs are essential and non-negotiable; we spend first to cover these. Wants are luxurious and we save for them, having an open discussion on the family's desired wants ensures we're all on the same page and saves unnecessary spending.

Reactions: doctormama
We use a shared Google Sheet to log and monitor our expenses. My spouse and I can input costs incurrred real-time, so there's transparency on our spending and it helps to keep discretionary purchases in check. It also helps us collectively decide if an expense is really necessary.

That's a smart and intuitive way to involve your kids in understanding finances!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful and eternity
We keep a small whiteboard in the kitchen for essential groceries and any last minute changes in our 'wants' - mostly take out meals or last minute sport equipment needs. It helps us to see it written down and ensures we're on the same page.

That's a clever way to involve your kids in financial literacy! My method is slightly more detailed but also focuses on visualizing our family expenses.

I use an app to track our monthly expenditures, categorized this time into five: Essentials (groceries, utilities, etc.), Transport, Health & Wellness (including health insurance), Entertainment, and Misc. I find that seeing where our money goes helps us decide as a family which expenses are essential and where we can cut back without sacrificing fun.

We keep costs down by having a no-frills mindset. We rarely eat out or buy fancy things, and opt for inexpensive fun like library visits and free community events. Plus point is that we foster frugal habits while doing our bit for the environment by minimizing wasteful spending!

As a single mom, budgeting is tight, so I've had to learn creative ways to keep costs low while still having fun. One strategy is subscribing to a cheap streaming service for some quality family time instead of spending on expensive cinema tickets. At $9.90 a month, the latest cartoons and movies are accessible. I also plan ahead and stock up on groceries, which saves impulse buying, and cooking at home is way cheaper than eating out!
That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in does sound much more economical than dining out these days!

Reactions: mamamia
That's a great strategy to keep entertainment costs down without compromising on fun! Streaming services can offer a lot of variety for the whole family without burning a hole in your pocket. Planning grocery lists and meals is another effective way to save money; it's amazing how quickly those dollars add up when you cook at home.

That's a great strategy to curb impulse buying, which can add up quickly! Planning meals ahead and committing to cooking at home is a fabulous way to save money.

That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Streaming services can be a godsend for cash-strapped parents.

You're right about planning and grocery shopping. It's a great way to save costs and avoid the pain of preparing last-minute meals or eating out. Cooking at home is a more economical option, which can also be turned into a fun activity for the whole family. Some meal prep sessions with the kids might be a good way to spend some quality time together while teaching them an essential life skill.

As an event planner, I'm used to keeping track of budgets, so I use a similar strategy for my family finances. I create an annual budget plan which divides our expenses into categories like housing, transportation, entertainment, utilities, etc., with subcategories for each.

Each month I review and assess our spending, which helps me to identify any unexpected increases or decreases in costs, and adjust the next month's budget accordingly. This also helps me to plan ahead for any large or unexpected expenses.

For example, last year we spent quite a bit extra on medical bills, so I made sure to budget more for healthcare this year. Creating this detailed budget plan ensures we can maintain a healthy financial situation and still enjoy the occasional indulgence. It's satisfying to know exactly where our money is going!
I find that creating a buffer emergency fund helps to prepare for unexpected expenses so they don't throw off our monthly finances. We have a dedicated savings account for this, which we contribute to each month, and use only when absolutely necessary. It gives peace of mind, especially with kids where emergencies seem to creep up often!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and joyful
That's a smart way to treat yourself without breaking the bank. Staying in definitely beats paying a **** for a restaurant dinner or cinema tickets these days! Groceries are one of the biggest expenses for families, so stocking up strategically and avoiding unnecessary buys is a great habit.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu