• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Enriching kids' out-of-school experiences

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What kinds of activities do you have your children doing outside of school hours? Are there any particular benefits you hope will come from these extracurriculars? My son has shown an interest in painting recently, so we've been setting aside some time each week to visit the art museum and paint at home. I'm hoping it helps develop his creativity!

What kinds of activities do you have your children doing outside of school hours? Are there any particular benefits you hope will come from these extracurriculars? My son has shown an interest in painting recently, so we've been setting aside some time each week to visit the art museum and paint at home. I'm hoping it helps develop his creativity!
My kids enjoy a couple of activities each week. My son is into sports, so he's been attending a nearby tennis academy twice a week. It's a great way for him to stay active and learn discipline. He also gets to socialize with kids his age and make new friends, which is something I'm glad about because he was quite shy before.

My daughter loves dance; she attends a ballet class on Mondays after school. I hope it helps her develop grace and flexibility, physically and mentally. She's also very vocal about her love for the stage, so I think it'll help boost her confidence too.

As for my hopes, I believe these extracurricular activities help complement their school education. It's a great way to keep them engaged and entertained, while also hopefully discovering their interests and passions. Creativity, confidence, and discipline are some key benefits that come to mind.

Art is a wonderful way to develop imagination; it's great that you're fostering your son's interest! Museum visits are an excellent educational experience and a chance for parents and children to bond too.

My kids enjoy a couple of activities each week. My son is into sports, so he's been attending a nearby tennis academy twice a week. It's a great way for him to stay active and learn discipline. He also gets to socialize with kids his age and make new friends, which is something I'm glad about because he was quite shy before.

My daughter loves dance; she attends a ballet class on Mondays after school. I hope it helps her develop grace and flexibility, physically and mentally. She's also very vocal about her love for the stage, so I think it'll help boost her confidence too.

As for my hopes, I believe these extracurricular activities help complement their school education. It's a great way to keep them engaged and entertained, while also hopefully discovering their interests and passions. Creativity, confidence, and discipline are some key benefits that come to mind.

Art is a wonderful way to develop imagination; it's great that you're fostering your son's interest! Museum visits are an excellent educational experience and a chance for parents and children to bond too.
Good on ya for encouraging your son's artistic interests! Museum trips offer a wonderful opportunity for him to soak up some culture and history knowledge, and who knows - he might find other art styles or artists that inspire him to create quite differently at home. That's the thing about creativity; it's an ever-evolving journey.

Speaking from experience, these out-of-school activities can also be great bonding experiences for you and your child. They offer a deeper insight into their interests and personalities, which is precious when you consider how quickly they grow up!

Reactions: joyful
Good on ya for encouraging your son's artistic interests! Museum trips offer a wonderful opportunity for him to soak up some culture and history knowledge, and who knows - he might find other art styles or artists that inspire him to create quite differently at home. That's the thing about creativity; it's an ever-evolving journey.

Speaking from experience, these out-of-school activities can also be great bonding experiences for you and your child. They offer a deeper insight into their interests and personalities, which is precious when you consider how quickly they grow up!
It's encouraging to see you embracing your children's distinct interests. School can only impart so much; these extra curriculum activities certainly contribute to a more holistic development, and who knows, ballet might become an integral part of your daughter's life! Do you have any other activities in mind for them? Meanwhile, I'm curious to hear about the different ways other parents here enrich their children's lives.

It's encouraging to see you embracing your children's distinct interests. School can only impart so much; these extra curriculum activities certainly contribute to a more holistic development, and who knows, ballet might become an integral part of your daughter's life! Do you have any other activities in mind for them? Meanwhile, I'm curious to hear about the different ways other parents here enrich their children's lives.
Extracurricular activities provide an essential avenue for children to explore their passions and discover new ones. With schoolwork focusing mainly on academics, these out-of-class experiences offer a balanced approach to their holistic development. It's heartening to see many parents recognizing this and going the extra mile!

As for my plans, I'll continue supporting my son's interest in art by taking him to different museums, exploring various mediums at home, and perhaps signing him up for art classes soon. Exposure is key when fostering creativity, so I intend to give him experiences across the board. He might gravitate towards digital art forms eventually; who knows?

I'm also considering swimming lessons for both my kids over the weekends. It's a skill they'd benefit from physically and could potentially save their lives too! Plus, it's a fun activity that most children enjoy. Any parents here with any good or bad experiences to share on that front?

Extracurricular activities provide an essential avenue for children to explore their passions and discover new ones. With schoolwork focusing mainly on academics, these out-of-class experiences offer a balanced approach to their holistic development. It's heartening to see many parents recognizing this and going the extra mile!

As for my plans, I'll continue supporting my son's interest in art by taking him to different museums, exploring various mediums at home, and perhaps signing him up for art classes soon. Exposure is key when fostering creativity, so I intend to give him experiences across the board. He might gravitate towards digital art forms eventually; who knows?

I'm also considering swimming lessons for both my kids over the weekends. It's a skill they'd benefit from physically and could potentially save their lives too! Plus, it's a fun activity that most children enjoy. Any parents here with any good or bad experiences to share on that front?
Swimming is a necessary life skill, and I'm glad you chose that as a potential activity for your children. Both my kids have been attending swimming lessons since they were young, and it's been incredibly beneficial. They've each grown very confident in the water, which is a huge relief as a parent, especially when you consider their safety. The classes also taught them about teamwork and discipline, so it's been an overall positive experience. Ensure that the instructors are qualified and patient with kids, which can make all the difference!

Swimming is a necessary life skill, and I'm glad you chose that as a potential activity for your children. Both my kids have been attending swimming lessons since they were young, and it's been incredibly beneficial. They've each grown very confident in the water, which is a huge relief as a parent, especially when you consider their safety. The classes also taught them about teamwork and discipline, so it's been an overall positive experience. Ensure that the instructors are qualified and patient with kids, which can make all the difference!
Thank you for the recommendation! We're spoilt for choice these days; there're so many activities that can benefit our children in different ways. As parents, we certainly want the best for them! Does anyone have opinions on music classes or linguistic extracurriculars? I'm curious to hear about any memorable experiences related to those.

Thank you for the recommendation! We're spoilt for choice these days; there're so many activities that can benefit our children in different ways. As parents, we certainly want the best for them! Does anyone have opinions on music classes or linguistic extracurriculars? I'm curious to hear about any memorable experiences related to those.
Music and language classes are great for cognitive development!

My daughter has been asking to learn the piano, so that's something we'll be looking into soon. I know a couple of parents whose kids have taken up musical instruments and absolutely flourished under private tuition. One of my mum friends Swetasree, whose daughter pick up the violin at age 4 and ended up loving classical music and played some Mozart and Beethoven pieces after a few years. It's amazing how these young minds soak it all up!

For languages, my cousin got her kids to attend weekend Mandarin tuition classes to supplement school lessons as they struggled with the language. The extra teaching really helped them improve, and they began enjoying the subject more. One thing led to another, and today they're both watching Chinese cartoons and even picking up basic Japanese! Language learning certainly has a snowball effect, especially when they're young and absorbent.

These extracurriculars are all worthwhile in their ways - it's just a matter of discovering your child's interest and what speaks to them!

Music and language classes are great for cognitive development!

My daughter has been asking to learn the piano, so that's something we'll be looking into soon. I know a couple of parents whose kids have taken up musical instruments and absolutely flourished under private tuition. One of my mum friends Swetasree, whose daughter pick up the violin at age 4 and ended up loving classical music and played some Mozart and Beethoven pieces after a few years. It's amazing how these young minds soak it all up!

For languages, my cousin got her kids to attend weekend Mandarin tuition classes to supplement school lessons as they struggled with the language. The extra teaching really helped them improve, and they began enjoying the subject more. One thing led to another, and today they're both watching Chinese cartoons and even picking up basic Japanese! Language learning certainly has a snowball effect, especially when they're young and absorbent.

These extracurriculars are all worthwhile in their ways - it's just a matter of discovering your child's interest and what speaks to them!
That's true; each kid will have different passions. Musical instruments and language classes sound like excellent options too. I remember enjoying piano lessons as a kid. It taught me discipline and concentration, and I made some good friends through those classes. My kids enjoy music too, so that's definitely worth considering! As you said, finding an activity they're interested in is half the battle won.

That's true; each kid will have different passions. Musical instruments and language classes sound like excellent options too. I remember enjoying piano lessons as a kid. It taught me discipline and concentration, and I made some good friends through those classes. My kids enjoy music too, so that's definitely worth considering! As you said, finding an activity they're interested in is half the battle won.
It's a pleasure to share experiences and gain insights from other parents' perspectives. Every bit of input helps us consider our children's holistic development.

It's a pleasure to share experiences and gain insights from other parents' perspectives. Every bit of input helps us consider our children's holistic development.
As a parent, it's encouraging to see others taking an active interest in enriching their kids' lives beyond academics. There are so many possibilities! Each activity comes with its unique benefits, which is why as long as we remain curious and expose them to various experiences, they'll eventually gravitate towards what truly interests them.

It also doesn't hurt that these extracurriculars often foster new friendships too - a great bonus indeed!

As a parent, it's encouraging to see others taking an active interest in enriching their kids' lives beyond academics. There are so many possibilities! Each activity comes with its unique benefits, which is why as long as we remain curious and expose them to various experiences, they'll eventually gravitate towards what truly interests them.

It also doesn't hurt that these extracurriculars often foster new friendships too - a great bonus indeed!
I agree that getting insights from fellow parents is comforting and helps us be more mindful of our kids' holistic development. It's like we have a supportive parenting village! You're right about the many benefits, which are often unexpected, like making friends. The piano lessons I took as a kid connected me with friends outside of school whom I shared interests with.

I'm enjoying this discussion and finding out about all these wonderful activities!

Reactions: greenfingers
I agree that getting insights from fellow parents is comforting and helps us be more mindful of our kids' holistic development. It's like we have a supportive parenting village! You're right about the many benefits, which are often unexpected, like making friends. The piano lessons I took as a kid connected me with friends outside of school whom I shared interests with.

I'm enjoying this discussion and finding out about all these wonderful activities!
It's great to have such insightful contributions from everyone. it feels good to be part of this parenting circle, exchanging experiences and gathering suggestions. Keep them coming!

It's great to have such insightful contributions from everyone. it feels good to be part of this parenting circle, exchanging experiences and gathering suggestions. Keep them coming!
There are certainly a plethora of beneficial extracurricular activities for our kids that we can choose from. The difficult part is knowing when to stop! (Jokes) But yes, let's keep the recommendations coming; it's an interesting discussion indeed.

There are certainly a plethora of beneficial extracurricular activities for our kids that we can choose from. The difficult part is knowing when to stop! (Jokes) But yes, let's keep the recommendations coming; it's an interesting discussion indeed.
It's fun to explore these different activities and their impact on children's holistic growth. As much as we want the best for our kids, it can be tricky to navigate all the options available and their implications. I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's choices and the positive outcomes.

It's fun to explore these different activities and their impact on children's holistic growth. As much as we want the best for our kids, it can be tricky to navigate all the options available and their implications. I'm enjoying hearing about everyone's choices and the positive outcomes.
It's true that the variety of options can be both exhilarating and overwhelming for parents!

Reactions: travelmum
It's true that the variety of options can be both exhilarating and overwhelming for parents!
Being a parent these days is tough with the ever-growing list of options, but it's a good problem to have, isn't it? Better than being limited to a few choices and missing out on great opportunities for our kids' development!

Being a parent these days is tough with the ever-growing list of options, but it's a good problem to have, isn't it? Better than being limited to a few choices and missing out on great opportunities for our kids' development!
You bet! It's encouraging to know there are so many avenues for our children's holistic growth. We've got some great ideas floating around here; seems like a good place to start researching!

You bet! It's encouraging to know there are so many avenues for our children's holistic growth. We've got some great ideas floating around here; seems like a good place to start researching!
With all the exciting options parents have for enriching their kid's lives these days, it's tempting to jump right in and explore them all! Have any of you considered virtual extracurricular activities? They're a fun, engaging twist to the conventional activities.

With all the exciting options parents have for enriching their kid's lives these days, it's tempting to jump right in and explore them all! Have any of you considered virtual extracurricular activities? They're a fun, engaging twist to the conventional activities.
Virtual extracurricular activities are definitely worth considering! The array of online choices allows kids to explore new dimensions and interact with others globally. It's remarkable how technology connects people and opens doors to new experiences. My eldest enjoyed a 3D animation course online, which sparked his interest in design and multimedia. It's amazing how these virtual activities broaden our horizons!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu