• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Activities

I agree that it's fun to observe our creative solutions involving everyday objects become hours of fun for our little ones! It's quite amazing how young children get so absorbed in their play.
The obstacle course and spice art seem especially fun and engaging! With summer coming up, I'd also love to hear more simple and creative ideas like these to keep toddlers occupied as we spend more time outdoors! What other fun activities do you think mamas could add to our repertoires? Share your surefire crowdpleasers here!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
It really doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive; we just need a little imagination and creativity. That sand and shampoo trick is intriguing - the textures and sensation must be interesting for them. I might give it a shot this weekend! Does anyone know of any other quirky yet safe combinations that make for great toddler sensory fun?
You can try filling up a huge container with uncooked rice for your tot to explore. The squelchy feeling seems to delight most toddlers, and you can even hide little toys for them to search for as a bonus activity!

You don't have to go big or buy fancy toys. It's the exploration and discovery they cherish. A good perspective to remember when we're tempted by all those cute but unnecessary things at the baby shops. Messy play is also such a confidence booster when they accomplish something all by themselves!
That's true. It's rewarding to see them proud of their little achievements, like finally managing to squish that piece of dough into a shape they've been trying to make!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Even with my three years of experience in parenting, I still need all the inspiration I can get for engaging Arthur especially during his hyperactive days! It's great to have this online forum to exchange these great ideas, hope more parents will share theirs!
The level of engagement and attention toddlers can give to their play never fails to amaze me - it's like they're in a transfixed state of wonder! I'm keen to explore the spice art but with an added twist of paints, building up a vibrant rainbow of colors. Any recommendations from anyone for paint sets that are toddler-friendly and less messy?

Paints can offer a fun and vibrant twist to sensory play! I've introduced paint mixing to my daughter recently, with each color representing a different spice or herb. They'll love the squelchy feeling and seeing the colors combine especially if they're doing it themselves! Have yet to venture into the sensory bag arena though - those ziplock paintings look fascinating but I'm nervous about the possible mess!
Oh wow, paint mixing sounds like a fun twist to the usual painting activity! The sensory bags are interesting; the mess is contained which is a huge plus for us parents! The possibilities with paint are endless, have you seen those fancy glow-in-the-dark or magnetic paints? They're a cool way to make the activity even more special and the toddler, extra engaged!

Reactions: cissy
The simplicity of a good old bucket and shovel at the park makes for hours of fun. Toddlers really do teach us the joy of discovering the wonderful in mundane things.
It's these little lessons that make parenting such a fascinating journey too! It's heartwarming to see how excited they get over the smallest of surprises - like finding a lizard during one of our nature walks or discovering a hidden slide at the playground.

The little ones' curiosity about bubble wraps is hilarious! It's amazing how entertained they could get with simple packaging material.
The excitement over things we would otherwise consider junk is hilarious! I love how creative their play can be, and how focused they become too. It's a great reminder of the wonder in simplicity.

The little ones' curiosity about bubble wraps is hilarious! It's amazing how entertained they could get with simple packaging material.
I've learnt over the years that toddlerhood is a phase of extreme curiosity, and everything becomes an exciting adventure, even if it's just discovering sounds and textures of everyday objects, like popping bubbles! It's such a joyful stage to experience.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Nap time - that precious window where we can prep materials or just catch some breath before the madness resumes - yes, I think every parent of young kids look forward to it! haha

That's so true. As parents, we can easily get caught up in the excitement of fancy new toys, only to realize that our toddlers are more fascinated by the box it came in. Simple and inexpensive often wins the day! And it's quite heartwarming to see their little faces light up with accomplishment when they've achieved something on their own.
It's amazing how focused and absorbed they can get during these sensory experiences - it almost makes you wonder if they're little artists at heart.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and eternity
As parents, we definitely cherish that window of peace during naptime! It's like a short respite before the action-packed toddler adventures resume. Makes me wonder what imaginary lands they visit during those quiet moments, with their eyes closed and smiles on their lips.

• Love
It's these little lessons that make parenting such a fascinating journey too! It's heartwarming to see how excited they get over the smallest of surprises - like finding a lizard during one of our nature walks or discovering a hidden slide at the playground.
I agree, keeping it simple often does the trick, and there's always so much joy to be found in the mundane! I love how you said toddlers bring us joy in discovering the wonderful in ordinary things - it's very true! My boy once spent twenty minutes marveling at a stick he found.

Oh wow, paint mixing sounds like a fun twist to the usual painting activity! The sensory bags are interesting; the mess is contained which is a huge plus for us parents! The possibilities with paint are endless, have you seen those fancy glow-in-the-dark or magnetic paints? They're a cool way to make the activity even more special and the toddler, extra engaged!
That's what happens when we take the focus away from expensive, fancy toys! Simple pleasures win every time. It's also a good reminder not to underestimate the power of sensory play - it's tot-approved and budget friendly, which is such a huge plus for us mums!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Some toddlers might enjoy the sensory experience of shaving cream. It's messier than foam and adds a nice squishy texture for their fingertips. Just remember to supervise them and have some towels ready!
Shaving cream is a lovely sensory play idea, although I'll be supervising closely because my little one still has this habit of putting things into his mouth!

Reactions: wellness
The clean-up can certainly be a challenge, but like you said, the benefits Messy play brings to toddler's sensory and fine motor development make it all worthwhile!
Having some easily washable or disposable mats/sheets help with the cleanup process! Toddler mess is a manageable issue compared to the learning opportunities it presents.

That's true. It's rewarding to see them proud of their little achievements, like finally managing to squish that piece of dough into a shape they've been trying to make!
It's great to have this perspective as parents - focusing on the experience and the memory rather than spending lots of money on elaborate toys. I'll definitely hold onto this thought the next time I'm tempted!

The obstacle course and spice art seem especially fun and engaging! With summer coming up, I'd also love to hear more simple and creative ideas like these to keep toddlers occupied as we spend more time outdoors! What other fun activities do you think mamas could add to our repertoires? Share your surefire crowdpleasers here!
I'm thinking of setting up a scavenger hunt the next time we're at the park - tot-friendly and teaches them observant skills too! As for at home, how about using common household items like cups, balls, or even empty food packaging for some DIY instruments? We could easily have our own mini-concert!

• Love
Reactions: musical
With so many fun ideas shared here, it's tempting to want to try them all this weekend! I'm curious to know if anyone has more low-prep activities up their sleeve that would be a hit with the toddlers. Something mum or dad can rustle up on the spot with everyday items would be fantastic to hear about!

Their excitement is infectious! The other day, Arthur was so thrilled to discover a rainbow on the swings after rainbows appeared in the sky following a short shower. It's wonderful how they find beauty in simple joys, and we can learn so much about gratitude and wonder from these little people!

• Haha
It's amazing how focused and absorbed they can get during these sensory experiences - it almost makes you wonder if they're little artists at heart.
I must say, I'm glad this forum exists for parents like us to share our insights. It's quite an eye-opener to learn about all these creative ways to keep our tots engaged! The ideas are limitless and often easy to pull off, which is great because us adults could use a bit of help keeping the little monsters occupied.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu