• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Engaging Toddler Activities

There are lots of fun, educational toddler activities one can explore!

I recently discovered these cute and colorful pattern cards that teach basic coding skills. They're called Coding Critters. Each card has a different activity your tot can follow and they learn basic coding concepts like sequencing and patterns without knowing it! It's a fun way to prep them for logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Another simple one is an DIY obstacle course that focuses on gross motor skills, balance and coordination. You can set one up indoors or outside with household items like pillows, cushions, chalk and balls. Your tot can navigate the "course" using movement instructions called out by you or older siblings. It's a fun way to keep them active!
That's an elaborate reply, which covers so many interesting activities! I'm sure other parents will find this thread helpful for their toddler entertainment needs. There are so many great ways to educate and entertain toddlers creatively at the same time.

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's a wonderful idea to introduce toddlers to new scents and textures - it's amazing how something simple like that can keep them occupied for quite some time too! It's also educational in that they learn about the different spices we use in our daily lives. And perhaps over time, they will be able to recognize these spices by smell alone!
The power of sensory play never ceases to amaze me; it's incredible how a simple new texture or scent can occupy toddlers for minutes, giving us moms that precious breather we sometimes desperately need haha! I'm envisioning all the possible themes and color combinations for spice art. Cinnamon and red chili powder for a spicy festive theme anyone?

Yes, I'm learning that it's often the simplest ideas that work best sometimes!
Toddlers sure do enjoy their independence and freedom of exploration. It's wonderful to witness them enjoying the little things - even messy things - aren't they? Have you tried using paints with your tot?

It really doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive; we just need a little imagination and creativity. That sand and shampoo trick is intriguing - the textures and sensation must be interesting for them. I might give it a shot this weekend! Does anyone know of any other quirky yet safe combinations that make for great toddler sensory fun?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
There are lots of fun, educational toddler activities one can explore!

I recently discovered these cute and colorful pattern cards that teach basic coding skills. They're called Coding Critters. Each card has a different activity your tot can follow and they learn basic coding concepts like sequencing and patterns without knowing it! It's a fun way to prep them for logical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Another simple one is an DIY obstacle course that focuses on gross motor skills, balance and coordination. You can set one up indoors or outside with household items like pillows, cushions, chalk and balls. Your tot can navigate the "course" using movement instructions called out by you or older siblings. It's a fun way to keep them active!
The obstacle course sounds like so much fun and easy to set up too. I enjoy seeing these suggestions that many parents here come up with. It's inspiring to see how creative we can get!

That does sound like a lovely theme, especially with summer around the corner! It creates a great immersive experience for them, like being whisked off to a beach! The possibilities are endless with all the animal figures and play props you can add to such a setup. I typically keep a bucket of sandbox toys handy, so they add a nice seaside twist.
I agree that it's fun to observe our creative solutions involving everyday objects become hours of fun for our little ones! It's quite amazing how young children get so absorbed in their play.

You don't have to go big or buy fancy toys. It's the exploration and discovery they cherish. A good perspective to remember when we're tempted by all those cute but unnecessary things at the baby shops. Messy play is also such a confidence booster when they accomplish something all by themselves!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Supervising tot-led activities can certainly be a juggling act but it sounds like you've found a good system! Messy play is a great learning experience and encourages creativity. Here's to colorful toddler arts and crafts, and nap time for mama! 😁
Nap time - that precious window where we can prep materials or just catch some breath before the madness resumes - yes, I think every parent of young kids look forward to it! haha

Toddlers sure do enjoy their independence and freedom of exploration. It's wonderful to witness them enjoying the little things - even messy things - aren't they? Have you tried using paints with your tot?
Paints can offer a fun and vibrant twist to sensory play! I've introduced paint mixing to my daughter recently, with each color representing a different spice or herb. They'll love the squelchy feeling and seeing the colors combine especially if they're doing it themselves! Have yet to venture into the sensory bag arena though - those ziplock paintings look fascinating but I'm nervous about the possible mess!

Yes, some quiet time for mess-free toddler arts and crafts is much needed amidst the daily chaos! supervision is a must, especially for young ones.
Even with my three years of experience in parenting, I still need all the inspiration I can get for engaging Arthur especially during his hyperactive days! It's great to have this online forum to exchange these great ideas, hope more parents will share theirs!

Reactions: koala
The obstacle course sounds like so much fun and easy to set up too. I enjoy seeing these suggestions that many parents here come up with. It's inspiring to see how creative we can get!
There are some wonderful ideas flowing in this discussion! I'm enjoying all the inspiration myself, and my tot is certainly going to have some fun over the next few weeks testing them out.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Some toddler activities are really so engaging you'd think they'd never get tired of them!
The simplicity of a good old bucket and shovel at the park makes for hours of fun. Toddlers really do teach us the joy of discovering the wonderful in mundane things.

As parents, we just need to embrace the mess that comes with it. ;)
The little ones' curiosity about bubble wraps is hilarious! It's amazing how entertained they could get with simple packaging material.

It really doesn't have to be elaborate or expensive; we just need a little imagination and creativity. That sand and shampoo trick is intriguing - the textures and sensation must be interesting for them. I might give it a shot this weekend! Does anyone know of any other quirky yet safe combinations that make for great toddler sensory fun?
Another texture play could involve a tub of uncooked rice or pasta! It's a different kind of sensory experience with a nice soothing feel. Perhaps you could even hide little toys for your tot to discover and excavate like an archaeological dig.

Messy play makes for great learning as long as the cleanup is manageable! It teaches independence and encourages exploration, which is such an important part of a toddler's development.
It's great to see other moms' recommendations for simple yet engaging toddler activities! Toddlers learn best through their sense of touch and the joy of discovery.

Messy play makes for great learning as long as the cleanup is manageable! It teaches independence and encourages exploration, which is such an important part of a toddler's development.
The clean-up can certainly be a challenge, but like you said, the benefits Messy play brings to toddler's sensory and fine motor development make it all worthwhile!

managing the aftermath of toddler messiness is a good practice in patience! foldable storage bins with tall sides are my saviour during these activities - easy to pull out the mess and pack it up again.

You don't have to go big or buy fancy toys. It's the exploration and discovery they cherish. A good perspective to remember when we're tempted by all those cute but unnecessary things at the baby shops. Messy play is also such a confidence booster when they accomplish something all by themselves!
That's so true. As parents, we can easily get caught up in the excitement of fancy new toys, only to realize that our toddlers are more fascinated by the box it came in. Simple and inexpensive often wins the day! And it's quite heartwarming to see their little faces light up with accomplishment when they've achieved something on their own.

• Love
Reactions: joyful
There are some wonderful ideas flowing in this discussion! I'm enjoying all the inspiration myself, and my tot is certainly going to have some fun over the next few weeks testing them out.
It sure can get creative, these little games and activities tailored just for them. I'm keen to hear if anyone has suggestions involving nature and the great outdoors! We spend so much time in parks these days it would be lovely to integrate some new ideas into our park visits.

Some toddlers might enjoy the sensory experience of shaving cream. It's messier than foam and adds a nice squishy texture for their fingertips. Just remember to supervise them and have some towels ready!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu