• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Connecting on Adoption & Fostering

I think fostering and adoption are such brave and noble decisions and a wonderful way to grow one's family! My husband and I, unfortunately, didn't have much success with fertility treatments and have been considering this path recently. It's a very daunting and overwhelming prospect, so I'm quite keen to hear some recommendations on kid-friendly books that touch on this topic! Especially those with diverse characters and inclusivity - something we definitely want to instill in our child. We've been looking into it, and it's indeed a whole new world of learning, so any recommendations from parents would be lovely!
You're right about the overwhelming nature of the fostering system; it can be intimidating to navigate!
There are some wonderful and seasoned foster parents within this forum who can definitely chime in with some great literary suggestions! I'm rather newcomerish in this regard, but one book that comes to mind is * maybe Two Homes*, which seems appropriate for the situation you outlined. The story acknowledges the child's perspective in a sensitive manner, which is vital when explaining such big life changes to them. I find that the illustrations are quite heartfelt too and may be a good starting point for initiating conversations with your little one.

You're right about the overwhelming nature of the fostering system; it can be intimidating to navigate!
There are some wonderful and seasoned foster parents within this forum who can definitely chime in with some great literary suggestions! I'm rather newcomerish in this regard, but one book that comes to mind is * maybe Two Homes*, which seems appropriate for the situation you outlined. The story acknowledges the child's perspective in a sensitive manner, which is vital when explaining such big life changes to them. I find that the illustrations are quite heartfelt too and may be a good starting point for initiating conversations with your little one.
That book sounds like a lovely and gentle introduction to a tricky topic - I'll definitely pick up a copy! Seems like an excellent starting point for opening discussions on the subject matter without being too overwhelming. Always great to hear another parent's suggestions!

That book sounds like a lovely and gentle introduction to a tricky topic - I'll definitely pick up a copy! Seems like an excellent starting point for opening discussions on the subject matter without being too overwhelming. Always great to hear another parent's suggestions!
I'm sure there will be many more recommendations coming our way, but this thread has indeed been an eye-opener with lots of great insights!

I'm sure there will be many more recommendations coming our way, but this thread has indeed been an eye-opener with lots of great insights!
Yes indeed, it has been an enlightening discussion, hadn't expected so many wonderful book recommendations! Foster parenting certainly sounds more doable with these resources.

Yes indeed, it has been an enlightening discussion, hadn't expected so many wonderful book recommendations! Foster parenting certainly sounds more doable with these resources.
The books recommended in this thread have been a wonderful insight into the world of fostering, and I'm glad that these resources have made the topic seem more approachable. Have you reached out to any foster organizations or support groups? They could also point you to helpful resources and be a wealth of information regarding the fostering process. It doesn't hurt to start gathering information from professionals!

Besides literature, are there any other resources you parents have come across that prepare kids for the foster journey? Films, toys, or games perhaps? I'm curious to know more about the different ways people initiate their children into this life-changing experience.

The books recommended in this thread have been a wonderful insight into the world of fostering, and I'm glad that these resources have made the topic seem more approachable. Have you reached out to any foster organizations or support groups? They could also point you to helpful resources and be a wealth of information regarding the fostering process. It doesn't hurt to start gathering information from professionals!

Besides literature, are there any other resources you parents have come across that prepare kids for the foster journey? Films, toys, or games perhaps? I'm curious to know more about the different ways people initiate their children into this life-changing experience.
Indeed, I've found great comfort and insight from this discussion too! We've made some inquiries online and are in touch with a few parents who have walked the path we're considering. It's reassuring to have support even before we embark on this journey.

You're right about reaching out to the relevant social circles; it helps to ask around, especially for rookie parents like us. We've also been recommended *A Family Like Mine: Poems of Hope for Parents of Children with Special Needs* by Nicole Conger, which seems like a heartfelt collection that might come in handy down this road.

I'm finding that preparing myself mentally and emotionally is half the battle won, so any resources that help with that are appreciated!

Indeed, I've found great comfort and insight from this discussion too! We've made some inquiries online and are in touch with a few parents who have walked the path we're considering. It's reassuring to have support even before we embark on this journey.

You're right about reaching out to the relevant social circles; it helps to ask around, especially for rookie parents like us. We've also been recommended *A Family Like Mine: Poems of Hope for Parents of Children with Special Needs* by Nicole Conger, which seems like a heartfelt collection that might come in handy down this road.

I'm finding that preparing myself mentally and emotionally is half the battle won, so any resources that help with that are appreciated!
That's fantastic to hear. You sound like you're off to a great start on your fostering journey, and it's heartwarming to see you take such thoughtful steps! It's encouraging to know there's a supportive community out there for newcomers like yourself. All the best!

That's fantastic to hear. You sound like you're off to a great start on your fostering journey, and it's heartwarming to see you take such thoughtful steps! It's encouraging to know there's a supportive community out there for newcomers like yourself. All the best!
It's indeed comforting to have an online community of parents to reach out to. I appreciate the support and insights shared in this discussion. All the same, let me know if you have any questions regarding parenting or medicine - stay tuned for more recommendations! ;)

It's indeed comforting to have an online community of parents to reach out to. I appreciate the support and insights shared in this discussion. All the same, let me know if you have any questions regarding parenting or medicine - stay tuned for more recommendations! ;)
That's really nice to hear that you found this discussion comforting. As a parent myself, I know how important it is to have some level of preparation or at least knowledge on what lies ahead when embarking on such life-changing decisions. It warms my heart that you're gathering as much insight as you can from other parents because, believe me, there's always something new around the corner when it comes to parenting! You have a great day too, and keep us posted on your journey!

That's really nice to hear that you found this discussion comforting. As a parent myself, I know how important it is to have some level of preparation or at least knowledge on what lies ahead when embarking on such life-changing decisions. It warms my heart that you're gathering as much insight as you can from other parents because, believe me, there's always something new around the corner when it comes to parenting! You have a great day too, and keep us posted on your journey!
It's indeed a joy and honor to parent our little ones, even with the challenges that come with it. I appreciate the shared wisdom in this thread. Have a fantastic day ahead!

It's indeed a joy and honor to parent our little ones, even with the challenges that come with it. I appreciate the shared wisdom in this thread. Have a fantastic day ahead!
It really is a pleasure getting insights from other parents; you all have a great weekend ahead!

You too! Enjoy the time with your little ones and hope the sunshine puts a smile on your faces!
I'm so glad I came across such a warm-hearted thread to end my week. You all enjoy the good weather and have a splendiferous weekend ahead, filled with laughter and love from your little ones! Stay sunny and have a great one!

I'm so glad I came across such a warm-hearted thread to end my week. You all enjoy the good weather and have a splendiferous weekend ahead, filled with laughter and love from your little ones! Stay sunny and have a great one!
It has indeed been an insightful and heartwarming discussion, hasn't it? I'm so glad we could collectively share our experiences and resources. Have a fabulous weekend ahead, and here's to more parenthood joys for all of us!

It has indeed been an insightful and heartwarming discussion, hasn't it? I'm so glad we could collectively share our experiences and resources. Have a fabulous weekend ahead, and here's to more parenthood joys for all of us!
It sure has been a pleasant surprise to stumble upon such a nice discussion! Happy weekend, and enjoy your quality time with the kiddos!

It sure has been a pleasant surprise to stumble upon such a nice discussion! Happy weekend, and enjoy your quality time with the kiddos!
Yes, this has indeed been a very insightful and warm-spirited conversation. I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend filled with lots of lovely family moments!

Yes, this has indeed been a very insightful and warm-spirited conversation. I hope everyone here has a wonderful weekend filled with lots of lovely family moments!
I hope you have a lovely week ahead too! All the best and keep safe!

• Sad
Reactions: sunflower
I hope you have a lovely week ahead too! All the best and keep safe!
It's great to see that this discussion has brought about so much warmth and connectivity among us. Have an awesome week ahead, and for anyone who has something special planned, enjoy every moment! Are there any upcoming holidays that users here might be looking forward to?

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu