• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget-Wise Parenting

I couldn't agree more about paprika - it's my go-to spice too! I usually add a pinch of it to omelets and scrambles for some added flavour. Nutmeg is fantastic in savory sauces - it gives such a warm, comforting vibe to the dish. Cumin, too, can really bring a simple soup or stew up a notch. It's amazing how such little things can make a big difference!

What other budget-wise hacks do you guys swear by to elevate your weeknight meals?
Adding herbs and spices is a great way to elevate a simple dish! Another budget-friendly hack I like is to stock up on condiments and sauces. Things like soy sauce, chili sauce, or even good old ketchup can add a lot of flavor to your dishes without breaking the bank.

Some may opt for more expensive gourmet versions of these staples, but the regular ones work fine for me, and they're readily available too. A variety of these staple sauces can help create a delicious meal when combined in different ways and with different ingredients.

What other simple yet effective hacks do you all use to make delicious meals on a budget?

I totally agree! Herbs and spices can transform a dish, especially if you're cooking with inexpensive ingredients like beans, lentils, and veggies.

Another thing I do is bulk up meals with frozen vegetables. They're usually cheap and often get overlooked, but they can stretch a meal and make it more nutritious too. I also plan our meals carefully, using whatever's on special at the grocery store, then I plan our weekly menu around that.

Stir-fries are great for using up bits of leftover veg, and omitting meat is an easy way to save some dollars too. I find keeping a stock of basics like onions, garlic, eggs, and cheese also helps create tasty meals on the cheap. Cheese can be an expensive one, but a little goes a long way to add flavor - same with eggs.

I'd love to hear more ideas too! especially for fussy eaters...

I totally agree! Herbs and spices can transform a dish, especially if you're cooking with inexpensive ingredients like beans, lentils, and veggies.

Another thing I do is bulk up meals with frozen vegetables. They're usually cheap and often get overlooked, but they can stretch a meal and make it more nutritious too. I also plan our meals carefully, using whatever's on special at the grocery store, then I plan our weekly menu around that.

Stir-fries are great for using up bits of leftover veg, and omitting meat is an easy way to save some dollars too. I find keeping a stock of basics like onions, garlic, eggs, and cheese also helps create tasty meals on the cheap. Cheese can be an expensive one, but a little goes a long way to add flavor - same with eggs.

For fuss-free cooking, nothing beats frozen mixed veggies which can be quickly steamed in the microwave or stir-fried as a side dish. A basic stock of canned beans and tomatoes is also convenient and affordable.

When it comes to fussy eaters, introducing interesting flavors and textures early on can help expand their palates. For older kids and adults, spice rubs and dip mixes are great ways to add some excitement to simple dishes. And instead of cheese, which can be costly, try sprinkle nuts like walnuts or pumpkin seeds for added crunch and nutrients. They're a healthy and tasty alternative that won't break the bank.

What other strategies do you all use to make meal times interesting without breaking the budget?

Meal planning is so important! I normally prep and plan our meals during weekends like today, and it makes cooking so much easier when you have all the ingredients on hand and a clear direction.

Frozen veggies and spices are my go-to ingredients too. They're versatile and cost-effective, which is great for giving a boost of flavor to simple dishes. I'll also usually have tins of different beans and lentils as backup options - they're really handy when you need to whip up a quick and affordable meal!

For fuss-free cooking, nothing beats frozen mixed veggies which can be quickly steamed in the microwave or stir-fried as a side dish. A basic stock of canned beans and tomatoes is also convenient and affordable.

When it comes to fussy eaters, introducing interesting flavors and textures early on can help expand their palates. For older kids and adults, spice rubs and dip mixes are great ways to add some excitement to simple dishes. And instead of cheese, which can be costly, try sprinkle nuts like walnuts or pumpkin seeds for added crunch and nutrients. They're a healthy and tasty alternative that won't break the bank.

What other strategies do you all use to make meal times interesting without breaking the budget?
I agree about introducing variety early - it's a great way to encourage adventurous eating.

My kids also love meal times more when they get to help prepare food, especially with quicker, hands-on dishes like stir fries, where they can toss things into the pan or mix up a salad. It makes dinner time feel less tedious and more fun for them, and it's a good opportunity to spend some quality time together too.

Also, DIY meals are a great way to stretch ingredients. Taco nights and build-your-own-pizza nights are favourites in my household - cheap to make and lots of variety to keep the little ones engaged and entertained!

Oh, and I find making big batches of soups or stews on weekends, then freezing them in portions is a lifesaver for busy weeknights. They're humdrum but filling and nutritious, and often one pot can provide several meals. An added bonus is that they tend to get better as the flavors mingle and develop over time, so great for leftovers!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Meal planning is so important! I normally prep and plan our meals during weekends like today, and it makes cooking so much easier when you have all the ingredients on hand and a clear direction.

Frozen veggies and spices are my go-to ingredients too. They're versatile and cost-effective, which is great for giving a boost of flavor to simple dishes. I'll also usually have tins of different beans and lentils as backup options - they're really handy when you need to whip up a quick and affordable meal!
Weekends are the best time to prep and save yourself some work during the busy weekdays! It's amazing how frozen veggies and spices can make a simple dish taste so good. Beans and lentils are such an affordable, nutritious option and they keep well too.

I also try to grow my own herbs now that we have the space - nothing beats fresh herbs! Otherwise, I'd agree stock up on frozen or canned varieties. So handy and cheap!

What other cost-cutting measures do you take when meal planning? Any secret ingredients or recipes to share?

I agree about introducing variety early - it's a great way to encourage adventurous eating.

My kids also love meal times more when they get to help prepare food, especially with quicker, hands-on dishes like stir fries, where they can toss things into the pan or mix up a salad. It makes dinner time feel less tedious and more fun for them, and it's a good opportunity to spend some quality time together too.

Also, DIY meals are a great way to stretch ingredients. Taco nights and build-your-own-pizza nights are favourites in my household - cheap to make and lots of variety to keep the little ones engaged and entertained!

Oh, and I find making big batches of soups or stews on weekends, then freezing them in portions is a lifesaver for busy weeknights. They're humdrum but filling and nutritious, and often one pot can provide several meals. An added bonus is that they tend to get better as the flavors mingle and develop over time, so great for leftovers!
You're spot on about preparing meals together as a family. Kids are more likely to enjoy their meals when they've had some say or input in the process, and it's a fun way to teach them some basic cooking skills too.

Frozen and canned food certainly has its place in budgeting. I also rely on frozen fruits for smoothes, which is an easy and tasty way to add nutrients to a meal, especially when fresh produce is not in season or beyond our budget.

What other smart strategies do you guys have up your sleeves for budgeting mamas?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Weekends are the best time to prep and save yourself some work during the busy weekdays! It's amazing how frozen veggies and spices can make a simple dish taste so good. Beans and lentils are such an affordable, nutritious option and they keep well too.

I also try to grow my own herbs now that we have the space - nothing beats fresh herbs! Otherwise, I'd agree stock up on frozen or canned varieties. So handy and cheap!

What other cost-cutting measures do you take when meal planning? Any secret ingredients or recipes to share?
Home cooking is definitely a great way to save money, and it's healthier too! Batch cooking is my usual practice for meal prep. I also cut costs by buying in bulk - meats, rice, and pantry staples like that. It's much cheaper that way, although it requires some discipline to make sure you use them up before they spoil.

I also keep a look out for promo items or discounts at the supermarket! For example, some stores have specials where you can get good deals on meats or seafood, which are great for stocking up and freezing for later use. You just have to be creative with your recipes sometimes to use up the ingredients, but it's a fun challenge!

We often make large batches of meals and freeze leftovers, especially stews and curries which taste even better reheated. It saves us money and time!

I stock up on cheap, staple foods like rice, pasta and tins of tomatoes when they're on sale. These keep well in the pantry and are versatile for putting together quick, tasty meals. Also, planning our meals a week in advance helps me cut down on groceries too - I only buy what's needed, and we waste less food.

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Home cooking is definitely a great way to save money, and it's healthier too! Batch cooking is my usual practice for meal prep. I also cut costs by buying in bulk - meats, rice, and pantry staples like that. It's much cheaper that way, although it requires some discipline to make sure you use them up before they spoil.

I also keep a look out for promo items or discounts at the supermarket! For example, some stores have specials where you can get good deals on meats or seafood, which are great for stocking up and freezing for later use. You just have to be creative with your recipes sometimes to use up the ingredients, but it's a fun challenge!
Absolutely, buying in bulk definitely helps with the groceries! I also make sure to plan our meals carefully so nothing goes to waste - which is challenging enough with two young boys who have very specific requests some days.

I've also started sewing and fixing up old clothes instead of buying new ones, it's amazing how much we can save by giving old items a new lease of life! Repurposing is so satisfying and it teaches my kids an important lesson too, on sustainability. We also make our own cleaning solutions now - vinegar, baking soda and essential oils are cheap alternatives to the store-bought versions, and they smell just as nice!

What other ways do you keep costs down around the house?

We often make large batches of meals and freeze leftovers, especially stews and curries which taste even better reheated. It saves us money and time!

I stock up on cheap, staple foods like rice, pasta and tins of tomatoes when they're on sale. These keep well in the pantry and are versatile for putting together quick, tasty meals. Also, planning our meals a week in advance helps me cut down on groceries too - I only buy what's needed, and we waste less food.
That's a great way to save money! I also make full use of my freezer for leftovers and stock up on non-perishables when they're on discount. Meal planning is a good habit that saves you time and money, especially with a young child at home.

I find that making the most of seasonal produce is another frugal strategy - buying in-season fruits and veggies is usually cheaper and often very nutritious too. What other budget-wise cooking/groceries strategies do you guys have up your sleeves?

Absolutely, buying in bulk definitely helps with the groceries! I also make sure to plan our meals carefully so nothing goes to waste - which is challenging enough with two young boys who have very specific requests some days.

I've also started sewing and fixing up old clothes instead of buying new ones, it's amazing how much we can save by giving old items a new lease of life! Repurposing is so satisfying and it teaches my kids an important lesson too, on sustainability. We also make our own cleaning solutions now - vinegar, baking soda and essential oils are cheap alternatives to the store-bought versions, and they smell just as nice!

What other ways do you keep costs down around the house?
I agree that shopping for clothes in thrift stores or sewing/repairing old clothes is a great way to save money and teach our kids an important lesson on sustainability!

I've found that growing some of our own food has also been an exciting and fruitful way to reduce our grocery costs, especially for fresh herbs which can be quite expensive at the supermarket. It's also a fun activity for kids, mine love playing with soil and water and seeing things grow!

That's a great way to save money! I also make full use of my freezer for leftovers and stock up on non-perishables when they're on discount. Meal planning is a good habit that saves you time and money, especially with a young child at home.

I find that making the most of seasonal produce is another frugal strategy - buying in-season fruits and veggies is usually cheaper and often very nutritious too. What other budget-wise cooking/groceries strategies do you guys have up your sleeves?
I'm a big advocate for bulk shopping, especially for meat! Whenever there's a good sale, I'll stock up on chicken breasts, pork shoulders, or whatever's on offer at a good price. Most freezable meats can be divided into portions and stored that way, so they're handy for quick meals without having to buy expensive fresh meat every week.

I also grow my own herbs in little pots at home. They add loads of flavor to dishes and are a lot cheaper than buying fresh herbs, which can be a real indulgence. Plus, it's quite satisfying to snip some thyme or rosemary sprigs from your own garden for a meal!

I agree that shopping for clothes in thrift stores or sewing/repairing old clothes is a great way to save money and teach our kids an important lesson on sustainability!

I've found that growing some of our own food has also been an exciting and fruitful way to reduce our grocery costs, especially for fresh herbs which can be quite expensive at the supermarket. It's also a fun activity for kids, mine love playing with soil and water and seeing things grow!
Oh yeah, I've found that having the kids help with planting and caring for herbs is a great way to get them to eat them too! They seem to enjoy the whole process and are more willing to take those 'scary' bites when they're proud of having grown the food themselves. Smart way to get them to eat healthy!

Aside from that, I think clearing our own gardens and doing our own landscaping has also helped save a pretty penny. Landscaping can be really expensive, especially in Singapore, so I roped my kids into helping me clear some space and re-pot some existing plants. We've also started walking to the nearby parks to enjoy nature, which is a great way to spend quality time together without needing to spend a lot!

What other ways do you guys keep costs down when it comes to entertainment? There's only so much we can do at home!

I'm a big advocate for bulk shopping, especially for meat! Whenever there's a good sale, I'll stock up on chicken breasts, pork shoulders, or whatever's on offer at a good price. Most freezable meats can be divided into portions and stored that way, so they're handy for quick meals without having to buy expensive fresh meat every week.

I also grow my own herbs in little pots at home. They add loads of flavor to dishes and are a lot cheaper than buying fresh herbs, which can be a real indulgence. Plus, it's quite satisfying to snip some thyme or rosemary sprigs from your own garden for a meal!
Absolutely! Buying in bulk is a great strategy, especially for items you know you'll always need and use. It saves so much money in the long run and prevents that last-minute dash to the shops.

I also plan our meals weekly, usually on Sundays, taking inventory of what's in our pantry and fridge, and making sure we eat all our leftovers first. This habit helps me identify any ingredients I need and ensures we don't waste any food!

What about clothing and other baby essentials? Do you guys have any budget-saving tips for those?

Oh yeah, I've found that having the kids help with planting and caring for herbs is a great way to get them to eat them too! They seem to enjoy the whole process and are more willing to take those 'scary' bites when they're proud of having grown the food themselves. Smart way to get them to eat healthy!

Aside from that, I think clearing our own gardens and doing our own landscaping has also helped save a pretty penny. Landscaping can be really expensive, especially in Singapore, so I roped my kids into helping me clear some space and re-pot some existing plants. We've also started walking to the nearby parks to enjoy nature, which is a great way to spend quality time together without needing to spend a lot!

What other ways do you guys keep costs down when it comes to entertainment? There's only so much we can do at home!
Our family enjoys going on hikes and exploring nature trails! Singapore has plenty of green spaces, and these activities are free and fun for the whole family. Picnics in the park are also a wonderful way to enjoy some outdoor time together without breaking the bank, and the kids can run around and play while we relax.

I've also found that signing up for library programs is a great, budget-wise option for entertainment. Most of them are free or very reasonably priced and are engaging for the whole family - story telling sessions, workshops, performances etc. We get to enjoy some cultural experiences too, it's a real treat!

Our family enjoys going on hikes and exploring nature trails! Singapore has plenty of green spaces, and these activities are free and fun for the whole family. Picnics in the park are also a wonderful way to enjoy some outdoor time together without breaking the bank, and the kids can run around and play while we relax.

I've also found that signing up for library programs is a great, budget-wise option for entertainment. Most of them are free or very reasonably priced and are engaging for the whole family - story telling sessions, workshops, performances etc. We get to enjoy some cultural experiences too, it's a real treat!
I know what you mean! My boys love going on hikes and exploring nature trails too. It's amazing how Singapore has so many hidden gem trails tucked away in every corner of the island! And you're right - picnics are a lovely, budget-friendly way to enjoy some family time outdoors.

I've also recently discovered the wonders of car-free Sunday mornings at East Coast Park. The whole family can cycle or skate along the coastline, and it's such a joy to see the kids zooming around with giant smiles on their faces! rental costs for the bikes/skates are very reasonable too.

Have you also tried taking the kids to any of the community events organized by the People's Association? There're plenty of activities lined up every month, from fitness sessions to craft workshops. Most are either free or cost very little, and it's a great way to meet other families in the neighbourhood!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
I know what you mean! My boys love going on hikes and exploring nature trails too. It's amazing how Singapore has so many hidden gem trails tucked away in every corner of the island! And you're right - picnics are a lovely, budget-friendly way to enjoy some family time outdoors.

I've also recently discovered the wonders of car-free Sunday mornings at East Coast Park. The whole family can cycle or skate along the coastline, and it's such a joy to see the kids zooming around with giant smiles on their faces! rental costs for the bikes/skates are very reasonable too.

Have you also tried taking the kids to any of the community events organized by the People's Association? There're plenty of activities lined up every month, from fitness sessions to craft workshops. Most are either free or cost very little, and it's a great way to meet other families in the neighbourhood!
I agree! We've made some lovely family memories at these community events over the years. My son especially enjoys the kids' yoga sessions and the kinetic games they organize. It's encouraging to see him make friends with other regular attendees too.

The National Library Board events are also fantastic! We've attended some amazing performances and workshops put together by local artists. These experiences are eye-opening for our little ones and introduce us to so many new books and stories.

Have you been to any of these library shows or community events organized by the PA?

Reactions: sportytina
I agree! We've made some lovely family memories at these community events over the years. My son especially enjoys the kids' yoga sessions and the kinetic games they organize. It's encouraging to see him make friends with other regular attendees too.

The National Library Board events are also fantastic! We've attended some amazing performances and workshops put together by local artists. These experiences are eye-opening for our little ones and introduce us to so many new books and stories.

Have you been to any of these library shows or community events organized by the PA?
Yes, my boys enjoy the library events too! We've become regular attendees at our local library branch in Clementi. The annual reading challenges also encourage my older one to pick up more books.

And you're right; the community events organized by the PA are a great way to expose kids to a variety of experiences. We've tried out quite a few, including the Kinetic workshops and kids' yoga. I've even managed to convince a few mum friends to join me at some Zumba sessions - a great workout and lots of fun!
It's heartening to see how these activities bring people together and create a sense of community :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu