• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget-Wise Parenting

Meal planning and grocery shopping are my arch nemeses too! But over the years, I've developed some strategies to make things easier .

Here's a few:

1. Batch cook and freeze individual portions. I do this for meals that freeze well - chilli, bolognese, soups, casseroles, etc. That way, on those super busy nights, all I have to do is grab something from the freezer, heat it up, and dinner's sorted!

2. Speaking of soup, I make a lot of vegetable soups in big batches. They're cheap to make, frozen well and are a great way to get some hidden veggies into the diet. Plus, they're easy to customize - add some spices or herbs, swop out ingredients, etc.

3. Slow cooker meals are another favorite. Throw everything in the pot in the morning, let it cook all day, and dinner's ready with minimal effort.

4. Learn to love leftovers! I make sure to portion out yesterday's dinner into individual serving sizes and refrigerate them immediately after dinner. That way, lunch is sorted for a few days, and I don't get bored eating the same thing because it doesn't go bad quickly.

5. Shop sales and stock up! When it comes to non-perishables like pasta, rice, tinned goods, etc., stock up when they're on sale. It saves so much money in the long run, and you always have a backup supply!

6. Plan your meals and create a grocery list accordingly. I try to plan 3-4 days' worth of meals at a time and only buy what I need for those meals, plus staples like milk, eggs, bread, etc. It ensures that I'm not overspending on groceries and reduces waste.

Good luck with your parenting and budgeting journey! These hacks have helped me stay sane and save some cash!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Great ideas!

I also like to take advantage of my freezer's capacity - I'm always chucking in bits and bobs to pull out another day. My personal favorite is making homemade stock/broth and freezing it in portions. It's great to have some on hand when cooking meals and adds heaps of flavor. Also, frozen fruits are a lifesaver for smoothies - just scoop some out and throw into the blender.

Planning ahead and shopping sales has got to be one of the best ways to save money and reduce waste. I sometimes buy an extra piece of meat or two on special and freeze it if I know it's something versatile like chicken breast or mince. It's so satisfying to have everything you need already in the house too!

Freezing food is such a great idea! I love the stock/broth hack, it's so versatile and having it frozen means it'll stay good for ages.

I find planning and sales shopping crucial too, especially for fresh produce and meat which can be expensive if not planned well. Having a meal plan and sticking to the list is a great way of cutting down waste - and like you said, it's such a satisfying feeling when everything is in the house ready to go!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Freezing food is such a great idea! I love the stock/broth hack, it's so versatile and having it frozen means it'll stay good for ages.

I find planning and sales shopping crucial too, especially for fresh produce and meat which can be expensive if not planned well. Having a meal plan and sticking to the list is a great way of cutting down waste - and like you said, it's such a satisfying feeling when everything is in the house ready to go!
Meal planning certainly helps to keep the budget and wastage down, especially for perishable items which can be costly if not consumed fresh. You're right about having everything handy and satisfying it feels!

Meal planning and shopping sales certainly help with the grocery budget. It ensures that you're buying only what's needed, which reduces food wastage. Stocking up frozen meats and broths definitely come in handy for last-minute meals and save on preparation time too.

Meal planning and shopping sales certainly help with the grocery budget. It ensures that you're buying only what's needed, which reduces food wastage. Stocking up frozen meats and broths definitely come in handy for last-minute meals and save on preparation time too.
It's incredible how much food can be saved just by being a little bitorganised! Using leftovers is such a good point, too. So often people cook extra just to have some left over, it's become somewhat of a tradition in many families to have certain foods that are 'even better' as leftovers - like a special treat!

What other tips do you have for making the most of leftovers?

Meal planning certainly helps to keep the budget and wastage down, especially for perishable items which can be costly if not consumed fresh. You're right about having everything handy and satisfying it feels!
That's so true! Meal planning ensures we don't overbuy and freeze extras or leftovers for another day helps a lot with food wastage. It also ensures we eat healthily as it's easy to order take-outs when we're tired. Budget-wise, what are some of your go-to cheap but yummy family meals? Mine's pasta bolognese - cheap to make in large batches and freezing well too!

It's incredible how much food can be saved just by being a little bitorganised! Using leftovers is such a good point, too. So often people cook extra just to have some left over, it's become somewhat of a tradition in many families to have certain foods that are 'even better' as leftovers - like a special treat!

What other tips do you have for making the most of leftovers?
Some foods actually taste better the next day. Red stews and soups improve the taste after sitting overnight in the fridge, allowing their flavors to develop and meld together.

Leftover meats can be used innovatively in pastas or sandwiches. You may also want to try freezing leftover purees or soupy dishes like porridge in ice trays for a quick, healthy baby food option.

Reusing leftovers is also a creative process. Often, we are limited only by our imagination and willingness to experiment with different ingredients and cooking methods. It helps to google recipes according to the leftovers you have in mind - you'll be surprised at the endless possibilities!

That's so true! Meal planning ensures we don't overbuy and freeze extras or leftovers for another day helps a lot with food wastage. It also ensures we eat healthily as it's easy to order take-outs when we're tired. Budget-wise, what are some of your go-to cheap but yummy family meals? Mine's pasta bolognese - cheap to make in large batches and freezing well too!
Fried rice with loads of veggies is a favourite, using up all the fridge odds and ends. It's a great way to clean out the fridge and tastes so good with some simple seasonings and spices.

Fried rice with loads of veggies is a favourite, using up all the fridge odds and ends. It's a great way to clean out the fridge and tastes so good with some simple seasonings and spices.
I love how versatile fried rice is. You can essentially throw in any ingredient and create a delicious meal! Sometimes I add in Spam or other cheap processed meats, which go a long way in adding flavour to the rice. A little goes a long way in rendering it yummy and stretching our dollars further. What other ingredients do you usually toss into your fried rice?

Reactions: queenie
I love how versatile fried rice is. You can essentially throw in any ingredient and create a delicious meal! Sometimes I add in Spam or other cheap processed meats, which go a long way in adding flavour to the rice. A little goes a long way in rendering it yummy and stretching our dollars further. What other ingredients do you usually toss into your fried rice?
Some eggs, spring onions, garlic and carrots make a simple yet delicious addition. I also sometimes add prawns or crab sticks for some extra protein. These ingredients are affordable and help to create a quick, tasty meal.

Some eggs, spring onions, garlic and carrots make a simple yet delicious addition. I also sometimes add prawns or crab sticks for some extra protein. These ingredients are affordable and help to create a quick, tasty meal.
Prawns and crab sticks are a great idea! They're a tasty, budget-friendly way to up the protein factor. I usually go for eggs and beans as well - they're reliable staples which work well with fried rice. Also a fan of adding some sliced up sausage occasionally for variety.

Those are great additions! I love how versatile those ingredients are, and they make meal prep so much easier. Sausage is an excellent choice too - and there are often some good budget options available.

Those are great additions! I love how versatile those ingredients are, and they make meal prep so much easier. Sausage is an excellent choice too - and there are often some good budget options available.
Yup, I usually go for the cheapo sausage meat which is tasty and versatile too. A few dollars saved on breakfast meats means a lot when you're feeding a family! You'd think it's not much but it adds up over time. Meats are definitely one of the areas we try to budget on, without compromising taste or nutrition.

Yup, definitely a staple for easy meals! I usually go for the cheaper ones and doctor them up with herbs and spices. A good way to add variety without breaking the bank :)

• Love
Reactions: queenie
That's true! Sometimes, all it takes to elevate a simple meal is some creative seasoning. What are some of your favourite herbs and spices to add? I'm always looking for new ways to give inexpensive meals a tasty kick!

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Garlic powder and onion powder are my go-tos! They're so versatile, enhancing almost any dish without being overpoweringly specific. Also, Italian seasoning is a favorite for adding warmth and depth of flavor to soups and pastas. And I recently discovered smoked paprika - oh my, it takes roasted veggies to the next level!

What about you? Are there any secret seasonings in your pantry that elevate your budget meals?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Smoked paprika is incredible - adding a depth of flavour to roasted veggies and even mashed potatoes! I also stock up on ground cumin, which gives a lovely earthy kick to soups and stews. And for a real comfort food boost, nothing beats nutmeg in mac n cheese or other creamy sauces!

hq720.jpg

Paprika is an excellent, versatile spice! I find adding smoked paprika to roasted veggies gives a nice little kick and depth of flavour, especially to roasted carrots and parsnips. I usually go for cumin too - it's so aromatic and really elevates simple dishes like lentil soups. Nutmeg in savory sauces is such a cozy, tasty comfort! It's amazing how these affordable, accessible spices can totally transform meals.

I couldn't agree more about paprika - it's my go-to spice too! I usually add a pinch of it to omelets and scrambles for some added flavour. Nutmeg is fantastic in savory sauces - it gives such a warm, comforting vibe to the dish. Cumin, too, can really bring a simple soup or stew up a notch. It's amazing how such little things can make a big difference!

What other budget-wise hacks do you guys swear by to elevate your weeknight meals?

Reactions: happyfeet

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu