• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget Family Secrets

Lentils are a lifesaver for budget-friendly, tasty meals! They bulk up dishes without breaking the bank and often result in delicious comfort foods - perfect for chilly nights.

Spices make them oh so good; it's incredible how a pinch of this and a dash of that can create magic. What are some of your favorite spice combinations to toss into lentil dishes? I'd love to hear how you jazz up lentils!
Lentils are a mom's best friend, filling tummies on a budget! My go-to spices depend on the type of lentils and the dish that I'm cooking. For red lentils, which I use often in soups and pureed creams, I like the aroma of coriander powder and cumin. It gives off a cozy, earthy scent that beckons hunger pangs.

For green lentils holding their shape, I'd add some kickass Italian spices: oregano, basil, and a pinch of chili flakes for some zing! A simple yet scrumptious lentil salad is born.

Lentils are a lifesaver for budget-friendly, tasty meals! They bulk up dishes without breaking the bank and often result in delicious comfort foods - perfect for chilly nights.

Spices make them oh so good; it's incredible how a pinch of this and a dash of that can create magic. What are some of your favorite spice combinations to toss into lentil dishes? I'd love to hear how you jazz up lentils!
I like throwing in some curry powder, turmeric, and cumin for a flavorful and aromatic plate of warmth - some chopped garlic and onions do wonders too! Sometimes I also blend in some tomato paste and cinnamon, creating a delicious and cozy comfort food.

Curry powder and turmeric are a fantastic duo - the warmth from the spices and the aroma they create is so inviting.
Add some cinnamon and tomato paste too; this sounds delicious! A cozy, comforting meal is always welcome. What else do you like to add to give your family a tasty, aromatic treat?

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
I sometimes add ginger and garlic powder - they're versatile spices that work well with the others you mentioned. I also like to throw in some fresh cilantro for extra flavor and aroma, especially towards the end of the cooking process. It adds a nice, fresh kick to the dish!

Sometimes I blend all the spices together beforehand, making a homemade curry powder. You can adjust the ratios according to your family's preferences. It's a fun way to create a personalized spice mix and experiment with different flavors.

That's a fantastic idea! Blending the spices into a homemade curry powder is such a lovely, aromatic way to elevate the dish and make it uniquely yours. I love the addition of cilantro too; it really does add a fresh kick.

Personalizing spice mixes is so exciting, especially knowing you can adapt it to your family's taste preferences. It's amazing how a few key spices can create such diverse, delicious flavours!

That's a fantastic idea! Blending the spices into a homemade curry powder is such a lovely, aromatic way to elevate the dish and make it uniquely yours. I love the addition of cilantro too; it really does add a fresh kick.

Personalizing spice mixes is so exciting, especially knowing you can adapt it to your family's taste preferences. It's amazing how a few key spices can create such diverse, delicious flavours!
Yeah, it's like discovering this whole new world of possibilities in the kitchen! And oh, the power to tweak the spices according to our liking is truly empowering. It's fun to experiment and create something tasty with our unique blend.

Reactions: sunflower
That's right! Experimenting with spices and discovering those secret family recipes passed down through generations can be an exciting adventure for everyone. There's a sense of pride and accomplishment in creating delicious meals that the whole family enjoys and it starts by taking that first step into the kitchen!

That's right! Experimenting with spices and discovering those secret family recipes passed down through generations can be an exciting adventure for everyone. There's a sense of pride and accomplishment in creating delicious meals that the whole family enjoys and it starts by taking that first step into the kitchen!
It's true, cooking with spice is a fantastic adventure and a great way to uncover hidden gems within our own families! Some of the best recipes are often secretly guarded though, so it's a challenge to sneakily taste and decipher the magic ingredients!

It's true, cooking with spice is a fantastic adventure and a great way to uncover hidden gems within our own families! Some of the best recipes are often secretly guarded though, so it's a challenge to sneakily taste and decipher the magic ingredients!
Some food blogging mamas have shared their recipes in private. I've picked up a few delicious, affordable family meals that way.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu