• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Budget Family Secrets

Pantry staples that won't break the bank include lentils - they're a great plant-based protein that goes a long way when preparing dal or soup. I also stock up on affordable staple carrots, which are versatile and can be tossed into soups, roasted as a side or made into a delicious, sweet carrot cake!

Potatoes are another inexpensive win - they're a filling addition to meals or can be turned into a cheap and tasty mash. Lastly, there's always a place in my pantry for inexpensive pasta and tomato purée, a quick and easy meal that's hard to beat when feeding a hungry family on a budget!
Carbs are a necessity that is often taken for granted; filling and affordable, they're a pillar of frugal eating! I typically have instant noodles, rice, and bread in my pantry. They are life-savers during hungry emergencies and also a staple when hosting, as they can feed many without blowing the budget!

Pantry staples that won't break the bank include lentils - they're a great plant-based protein that goes a long way when preparing dal or soup. I also stock up on affordable staple carrots, which are versatile and can be tossed into soups, roasted as a side or made into a delicious, sweet carrot cake!

Potatoes are another inexpensive win - they're a filling addition to meals or can be turned into a cheap and tasty mash. Lastly, there's always a place in my pantry for inexpensive pasta and tomato purée, a quick and easy meal that's hard to beat when feeding a hungry family on a budget!
Carbs and veggies are the way to go when keeping costs down; rice and noodles are also affordable perizations that fill up tummies! I usually keep frozen vegetables too, which are inexpensive and handy when needing to bulk up a meal.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
Carbs are a necessity that is often taken for granted; filling and affordable, they're a pillar of frugal eating! I typically have instant noodles, rice, and bread in my pantry. They are life-savers during hungry emergencies and also a staple when hosting, as they can feed many without blowing the budget!
For sure! These carb sources are budget-friendly and convenient, perfect for hungry kids who need filling meals. They're also versatile, allowing for different cooking options to suit various tastes and meal occasions.

Carbs are a must for growing kids! And it's great to know there are budget-friendly options that can feed the little ones without breaking the bank. What other ingredients would people recommend to keep the costs down but still keep tummies full?

Carbs are a must for growing kids! And it's great to know there are budget-friendly options that can feed the little ones without breaking the bank. What other ingredients would people recommend to keep the costs down but still keep tummies full?
Legumes such as chickpeas, kidney beans, and lentils are hearty and filling. They are also inexpensive and versatile - a great source of protein and fibre to keep kids satisfied without spending a lot.

Protein-wise, eggs and chicken are versatile and can be prepared in various ways without costing a fortune.

Maybe beans and pulses too, like chickpeas and kidney beans, which are inexpensive and nutritious. They're great for adding substance and flavor to meals.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Legumes such as chickpeas, kidney beans, and lentils are hearty and filling. They are also inexpensive and versatile - a great source of protein and fibre to keep kids satisfied without spending a lot.
It's true! Legumes are a great, underrated superfood for little ones. They're a cheap, satisfying, and nutritious addition to any meal - think of them as nature's multivitamins! I often whip up a delicious and healthy lunch by tossing some cooked lentils into my toddler's pasta.

Protein-wise, eggs and chicken are versatile and can be prepared in various ways without costing a fortune.

Maybe beans and pulses too, like chickpeas and kidney beans, which are inexpensive and nutritious. They're great for adding substance and flavor to meals.
Chickpeas, for one, are a staple in my house. Not only are they super versatile - I use them in salads, curries, and even deserts - they're also cheap and nourishing. They're definitely a great way to add some good plant-based protein punch to any meal.

Kidney beans too are a fantastic, affordable addition to any budget-conscious family's meals. My kiddo loves his beans, so I often whip up a batch of spicy kidney bean tacos or nachos for a quick, yummy, and nutritious evening snack.

What other inexpensive foods do you guys swear by in your homes to keep meal times exciting and nutrient-rich without breaking the bank?

Chickpeas, for one, are a staple in my house. Not only are they super versatile - I use them in salads, curries, and even deserts - they're also cheap and nourishing. They're definitely a great way to add some good plant-based protein punch to any meal.

Kidney beans too are a fantastic, affordable addition to any budget-conscious family's meals. My kiddo loves his beans, so I often whip up a batch of spicy kidney bean tacos or nachos for a quick, yummy, and nutritious evening snack.

What other inexpensive foods do you guys swear by in your homes to keep meal times exciting and nutrient-rich without breaking the bank?
We go through phases of loving various legumes like frozen peas, which are super affordable and versatile. They can be tossed into stir fries, mashed for a quick and easy dip or even added to soups for an extra boost of veggies.

Lentils are another staple as they're inexpensive, nutritious, and cook quickly. Great for a speedy dinner when you're too tired to spend much time in the kitchen!

Some other budget-friendly foods that we love are lentils! They are a great plant based protein source and are versatile too. I like to cook them with spices and tomatoes, creating a tasty and healthy curry that the whole family enjoys. Additionally, they are super cheap and conveniently available in most grocery stores.

We also often stock up on frozen vegetables, which are not only cost-effective but also handy when you need to throw together a meal quickly. My personal favorite is frozen spinach, a great additive to smoothies for an extra nutritional boost or to bulk up any curry or stew.

We go through phases of loving various legumes like frozen peas, which are super affordable and versatile. They can be tossed into stir fries, mashed for a quick and easy dip or even added to soups for an extra boost of veggies.

Lentils are another staple as they're inexpensive, nutritious, and cook quickly. Great for a speedy dinner when you're too tired to spend much time in the kitchen!
We also go through bags of frozen peas pretty quickly too! Sometimes I defrost them to add to my children's porridge or blended into their smoothies for some extra greenery. Lentils are a lifesaver for quick one-pot meals; I usually have two bags of different varieties in the pantry. They're so inexpensive, and I love how convenient they are for tossing into any dish.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and mamamia

We always have a few bags of different legumes in our pantry! They are such a lifesaver when there's no meal prepped or defrosted meat, and they keep the meals interesting with different textures and flavours.

Some other budget-friendly foods that we love are lentils! They are a great plant based protein source and are versatile too. I like to cook them with spices and tomatoes, creating a tasty and healthy curry that the whole family enjoys. Additionally, they are super cheap and conveniently available in most grocery stores.

We also often stock up on frozen vegetables, which are not only cost-effective but also handy when you need to throw together a meal quickly. My personal favorite is frozen spinach, a great additive to smoothies for an extra nutritional boost or to bulk up any curry or stew.
Lentils are a great, filling and nutritious base for any meal - warm or cold salad anyone? I also keep a bag of frozen baby peas in my freezer, they're a real multi-tasker and so tasty too!

We always have a few bags of different legumes in our pantry! They are such a lifesaver when there's no meal prepped or defrosted meat, and they keep the meals interesting with different textures and flavours.
Legumes are a pantry staple and a great one to fall back on when you're running low on time and energy. They're nutritious, filling, and versatile - perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.

What are some of your favorite go-to recipes using legumes? I'd love some inspiration too, as I tend to rely on the same old dishes and am always on the lookout for new ideas!

There's nothing worse than mundane meals when you're trying to feed a hungry family on a budget and running short on time.

Lentils are fabulous and have such a great, satisfying texture too. I always have a bag of split red lentils in my cupboard - they're so quick to cook and go into curries, soups and salads. I'll often add some frozen peas to the same pan when cooking up a batch of rice too - easy one-pot addition of vitamins and fibre!

Red lentils are versatile and full of goodness - and so cheap too! I always cook more than I need when using lentils as they're so handy for adding to other dishes - and love the idea of throwing some into the pan with rice, along with peas for an easy one-pot meal.

Crockpot-Lentil-Soup-3.jpg

Red lentils are versatile and full of goodness - and so cheap too! I always cook more than I need when using lentils as they're so handy for adding to other dishes - and love the idea of throwing some into the pan with rice, along with peas for an easy one-pot meal.

Crockpot-Lentil-Soup-3.jpg
Lentils are a great, inexpensive source of protein and fiber and make for a filling meal when cooked with rice and peas.

Good to know about lentils! We often cook them with some spices and stock for extra flavour. Sometimes add keftedes too for a heartier meal, although obviously that'd add to the cost. But worth it sometimes!

Lentils are such a versatile ingredient and work perfectly with spices! We think those added extras really elevate the meal - especially for those hearty, comforting dishes we crave in colder months. It's amazing how just a few simple adjustments can create something totally different and exciting.

Lentils are a lifesaver for budget-friendly, tasty meals! They bulk up dishes without breaking the bank and often result in delicious comfort foods - perfect for chilly nights.

Spices make them oh so good; it's incredible how a pinch of this and a dash of that can create magic. What are some of your favorite spice combinations to toss into lentil dishes? I'd love to hear how you jazz up lentils!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu