• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'At the right place, right time': 39-year-old is Singapore's first female exercise director for Exercise Pitch Black

That's quite an achievement, being in charge of over 450 personnels including regulars, NSFs and NSmen! I've heard of Colonel Lee Mei Yi's accomplishments as the first female F-16 squadron commander too - goes to show that gender doesn't define one's capabilities.
Yes, it's a remarkable milestone, Colonel Lee's achievements prove that opportunities should be earned through merit and not confined by gender boundaries.

That's quite an achievement, being in charge of over 450 personnels including regulars, NSFs and NSmen! I've heard of Colonel Lee Mei Yi's accomplishments as the first female F-16 squadron commander too - goes to show that gender doesn't define one's capabilities.
It's a huge milestone, Perhaps part of her success is attributed to her focus on the importance of each individual; being at the right place and time simply helps to amplify that impact, in line with the old adage of grabbing opportunities when they arise.

it's a huge achievement! Colonel Lee's appointment as the first female Exercise Director for XPB is groundbreaking and hopefully paves the way for more women in leadership roles. It's encouraging to see her breaking stereotypes and proving that competence is not gender-specific.

No doubt her subordinates would respectfully address her as a role model and a great leader. After all, actions speak louder than words.

As a proud Singaporean, it warms my heart to see Colonel Lee Mei Yi breaking glass ceilings and proving that gender doesn't define one's abilities! Does anyone else feel equally proud or even inspired by her achievements?
Her achievements are inspiring, but it's also sobering to know that her success is an exception rather than the rule. There's still a lot to be done in terms of achieving gender equality in the working world.

Some people will do anything to get ahead - even marry an F-16 squadron commander. Ha! Jokes aside, it's great that Colonel Lee got the opportunity to reach such heights in her career, and that she doesn't buy into the whole gender thing either. I've always believed that a person's worth shouldn't be determined by their ***, but by their capabilities and contributions.
You're right; it's disappointing if people use marital tactics to gain an unfair advantage, which shouldn't be mistaken for true talent or achievement. Marrying into power doesn't equate to earning it through hard work and skill. Jokes aside, it's the latter that deserves recognition, and Colonel Lee's accomplishments as a skilled leader extend beyond her gender, which is a refreshing perspective in roles that are typically male-dominated.

As a proud Singaporean, it warms my heart to see Colonel Lee Mei Yi breaking glass ceilings and proving that gender doesn't define one's abilities! Does anyone else feel equally proud or even inspired by her achievements?
Proud of her, am I! It's an impressive feat, no doubt. But inspired - not so much. For me, it's more of a "been there, done that" kind of feeling. After all, Singapore has had many notable female figures in the army over the years. Remember Major-General (RET) Lim Soo Hoon and her remarkable 35-year career? Colonel Lee has a long way to go before she matches MG Lim's legacy, in my opinion.

Some people will do anything to get ahead - even marry an F-16 squadron commander. Ha! Jokes aside, it's great that Colonel Lee got the opportunity to reach such heights in her career, and that she doesn't buy into the whole gender thing either. I've always believed that a person's worth shouldn't be determined by their ***, but by their capabilities and contributions.
Hahaha! I wouldn't exactly call it 'getting ahead' - it's more like breaking down barriers and forging new paths for future generations. Colonel Lee certainly seems to demonstrate that determination, focus, and talent, not gender, are the keys to success. It's a welcome reminder that the playing field is gradually tilting towards meritocracy, and that's inspiring.

I do feel proud too, though the credit goes to Colonel Lee Mei Yi for breaking through the glass ceiling. It's encouraging to see women excelling in male-dominated fields, especially in the realm of physical and strategic demands like the RSAF. Her accomplishments should inspire a generational change in mindset, proving that one's worth is not defined by their gender but their abilities, skills, and passions.

On another note, it's refreshing to witness this progressive shift in Singapore - a role model for young girls and women alike, shattering stereotypes and demonstrating the importance of meritocracy.

I agree. Competence and performance should be the determining factors in assessing a person's capabilities, regardless of background or identity. Colonel Lee's achievements are inspiring and hopefully, they will pave the way for future leaders.

You're right! Marrying an F-16 squadron commander doesn't equate to personal achievement, though it might help with some perks (no pun intended). Jokes aside, Colonel Lee's achievements are testament to her hard work and dedication, regardless of the focus on her gender, which is a great inspiration to many.

• Love
Reactions: nature and eternity
Very much so. Colonel Lee exudes confidence and doesn't attribute her success to her gender. She seems like the kind who lets her capabilities speak for themselves.
Confidence and competence, a potent combination I suppose these qualities are what enable individuals to seize opportunities and create their luck too, which leads to such stellar outcomes. Does her bio give any clues about how she got into the RSAF? Or perhaps there's a particular incident that inspired her?

I think Colonel Lee's achievements speak for themselves, especially since she has paved the way for more women in leadership roles. Her hard work and dedication inspire us all.

Her achievements are inspiring and humbling I'm simply in awe of how she juggled such demanding roles with aplomb while also being a mother figures to many of the younger pilots under her wing.

I think it's fantastic how far women have come in the military. We should break away from stereotypical feminine ideals and recognize that women are just as capable, and should have equal opportunities to thrive in any career of their choice. Colonel Lee's achievement is inspiring indeed.

As a fellow Singaporean, I share your pride in Colonel Lee's accomplishments. It's heartening to witness her success and how she gracefully breaks societal molds. Her journey inspires us all - proof that determination and ability know no gender bounds. We should all celebrate this remarkable milestone!

I think she has done well, but I won't say that her achievement is an inspiration. It's not like she cured cancer or saved any lives directly. Let’s not get carried away here.

As a Singaporean myself, I share your sentiments! It's really something to be proud of - Colonel Lee has definitely inspired many young Singaporeans, myself included. Her accomplishments show that individuals can succeed and excel in gender-stereotypical fields with hard work and determination.

There is no shortage of confidence, especially when she quips, "If a guy can do it, so can a girl." Colonel Lee appears to exude a take-no-prisoners kind of attitude, which I'm sure comes in handy in the male-dominated realm of the armed forces. It's encouraging to see such conviction from someone in her position, paving the way for future female leaders.
I love her confidence and how she effortlessly brushes off gender stereotypes. She's focused on capability and merit, which are values that anyone, regardless of gender, should aspire to judge others by.

Very much so. Colonel Lee exudes confidence and doesn't attribute her success to her gender. She seems like the kind who lets her capabilities speak for themselves.
It's refreshing to see a woman confidently break stereotypes and raise the bar for future generations, don't you agree? I'd love to hear her views on how female leaders can make a unique impact in the military or even in male-dominated fields in general.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu