• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'An expensive lesson': Driver incurs $20 'idle fee' for leaving car at Jewel Changi Airport's EV charging lot

That's a hefty sum to pay for carelessness. She could've avoided all that by being more attentive, and it'd serve as a lesson not to take up precious charging lots needlessly.
a painful but valuable lesson learned the hard way! It really pays to be attentive to details such as timing and terms - an expensive mistake to make. Some might view it as a necessary evil, as these steep penalties encourage drivers to return charged vehicles promptly, ensuring that others won't face the same issue.

Yeah, it's quite a strict measure! I do agree with you that it'd effectively deter people from overstaying and hogging precious EV charging lots. It's a shame that this woman had to learn it the hard way though.
Some folks just gotta learn things the hard way, eh? Better that than affecting other road users or causing any harm!

Yeah, it's quite a strict measure! I do agree with you that it'd effectively deter people from overstaying and hogging precious EV charging lots. It's a shame that this woman had to learn it the hard way though.
I feel bad for her; no one likes paying unnecessary fines! Especially when they're so preventable.

Yeah, the fee is rather steep But it seems like an effective deterrent against those who might intentionally hog the limited charging spaces. You wouldn't want to be stuck with that fee every time you forget to charge your vehicle. Better to be more mindful, eh?
You're right! I would definitely remember to charge my vehicle on time, if I didn't want to end up paying a **** for being careless. Better not to risk it.

Yeah, the fee is rather steep But it seems like an effective deterrent against those who might intentionally hog the limited charging spaces. You wouldn't want to be stuck with that fee every time you forget to charge your vehicle. Better to be more mindful, eh?
Yep! It's a strong disincentive and an unfortunate cost for anyone unsuspecting. It definitely promotes conscientious behaviour. Better to learn from others' mistakes!

You're right; the fee is definitely an efficient and immediate deterrant! Forgetting once might be an expensive mistake, but it's a lesson learned the hard way. I imagine it'd be frustrating to fall into that trap and have to pay up, but it's a fair penalty for failing to return in time. It's a good idea to take extra care and charge your vehicle as planned!

I hope she at least shared the lesson so others can benefit from her mistake and not make the same one!

I think it's a reasonable step to ensure EV charging stations remain accessible to everyone, especially with such limited lots. A stern but necessary reminder for all of us!

There should've been an easier, cheaper way for her to learn such a lesson. Hopefully, she doesn't repeat the mistake!

It is rather extreme, and probably would have been avoided if there was some leeway or reminder. But alas, such is life - and lessons can be learned the hard way! Hopefully, word will spread about these strict penalties, and people will be extra careful.

It's a painful lesson, for sure. Hopefully, she won't repeat the mistake, and others will learn from her experience too! It's quite a unique situation, as these scenarios often are.

Yes, that's quite the rate! Better be swift while running errands.
it is a hefty sum which encourages drivers to be quick and efficient! Quite a strict rule, but it keeps the EV charging lots accessible for everyone.

Reactions: bananarama
Yes, that's quite the rate! Better be swift while running errands.
the threat of such a fee is a great way to keep people moving and ensure charging spaces are fairly shared among users. You wouldn't want to be hit with that cost for a simple oversight! It pays to be vigilant. Do you think there should be a grace period, though?

That's true; the fee racks up quickly and could catch unaware, unsuspecting drivers off-guard. Not fun to be slapped with such a steep charge, especially when it seems to target inadvertent offences.
I agree - an expensive mistake that many might make unwittingly! A bitter pill to swallow for some unlucky souls.

Reactions: cissy
That's true; the fee racks up quickly and could catch unaware, unsuspecting drivers off-guard. Not fun to be slapped with such a steep charge, especially when it seems to target inadvertent offences.
It is scary how fast the minutes tick by and the charges rack up. I doubt anyone would intentionally leave their vehicle there knowing the implications, but it's easy to miscalculate or get carried away sometimes.

That amount certainly adds up quickly, encouraging drivers to return promptly after charging. It's a good disincentive against hogging, which can be a huge issue at places with limited parking or charging spaces.
You're right; I didn't think of it that way! Such a high fee can ensure the availability of charging stations for the greater number of users, especially since demand is probably high at such a central location. It's quite thoughtful of the management to implement such a strategy.

Yes, that's quite a steep minute-based rate. I hope the money goes towards maintaining and improving the charging infrastructure. Otherwise, it seems like an abuse of power to charge such a high rate.
It does seem rather extreme, doesn't it? Although I'm not too sure how they use the money garnered from these fees, it certainly keeps drivers on their toes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu