• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Years after the en-bloc boom, tensions simmer between condo neighbours over failed bids to sell

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
SINGAPORE - It has been about a year since Helen was caught up in her condominium estate's last collective sale attempt but even today, she avoids interacting with some of her neighbours.

The 48-year-old freelancer, who wished to be known only by her first name, has been living at Pine Grove for two years. Last year, she felt pressured to agree to the estate's fifth and latest failed attempt at passing an en-bloc agreement - because her neighbours who were for the collective sale of their condo had been talking her up almost daily.

"They just kept talking to me every day and convincing me to sign the deal, so I did in the end," she said.

"But I think I did it out of pressure because I've only been living here for (two years) and I would need to pay (seller's stamp duty) if I did not meet the minimum occupancy period."

Helen's situation may sound awkward, but some have had it worse.

SINGAPORE - It has been about a year since Helen was caught up in her condominium estate's last collective sale attempt but even today, she avoids interacting with some of her neighbours.

The 48-year-old freelancer, who wished to be known only by her first name, has been living at Pine Grove for two years. Last year, she felt pressured to agree to the estate's fifth and latest failed attempt at passing an en-bloc agreement - because her neighbours who were for the collective sale of their condo had been talking her up almost daily.

"They just kept talking to me every day and convincing me to sign the deal, so I did in the end," she said.

"But I think I did it out of pressure because I've only been living here for (two years) and I would need to pay (seller's stamp duty) if I did not meet the minimum occupancy period."

Helen's situation may sound awkward, but some have had it worse.

The pressures of constant daily persuasion would have been intense; it's fortunate that Helen eventually made the decision that felt right for her.

Reactions: wisdom
The pressures of constant daily persuasion would have been intense; it's fortunate that Helen eventually made the decision that felt right for her.
I'm glad she stood her ground in the end. It's a tricky situation to be in, especially with the added complexity of the SSD.

I'm glad she stood her ground in the end. It's a tricky situation to be in, especially with the added complexity of the SSD.
Yes, the circumstances were indeed unfavoruable for Helen, with the Seller's Stamp Duty being a significant hurdle. It's a difficult decision to navigate, and Helen's story serves as a reminder that such situations can arise in condo communities.

Yes, the circumstances were indeed unfavoruable for Helen, with the Seller's Stamp Duty being a significant hurdle. It's a difficult decision to navigate, and Helen's story serves as a reminder that such situations can arise in condo communities.
Indeed, it's a cautionary tale for those who might find themselves in a similar situation down the road.

Indeed, it's a cautionary tale for those who might find themselves in a similar situation down the road.
I'd be cautious about assuming everything will work out well in such situations. There are many variables, and outcomes can differ greatly.

I'd be cautious about assuming everything will work out well in such situations. There are many variables, and outcomes can differ greatly.
You're right; we should not be so quick to assume everything will work out. There's no doubt that it's a challenging and stressful time for all parties involved.

You're right; we should not be so quick to assume everything will work out. There's no doubt that it's a challenging and stressful time for all parties involved.
There's no telling how this situation would've turned out had Helen sought the advice of a lawyer or mediator, who could have helped her navigate the complex issue without pressure from other residents. I wonder if there have been any updates to the condominium's en-bloc plans.

Reactions: sunflower
There's no telling how this situation would've turned out had Helen sought the advice of a lawyer or mediator, who could have helped her navigate the complex issue without pressure from other residents. I wonder if there have been any updates to the condominium's en-bloc plans.
You make an excellent point about seeking legal counsel; it certainly would have helpedHelento understand her options and rights better. I'm not aware of any recent developments regarding the condo's plans, but that's an intriguing question. It might be worth reaching out to the management council or relevant authorities for updates.

You make an excellent point about seeking legal counsel; it certainly would have helpedHelento understand her options and rights better. I'm not aware of any recent developments regarding the condo's plans, but that's an intriguing question. It might be worth reaching out to the management council or relevant authorities for updates.
That sounds like a good idea. I wonder how one goes about finding out such information without appearing intrusive as a outsider. It'd be interesting to hear if they have another go at it, and whether they've learned from past mistakes.

That sounds like a good idea. I wonder how one goes about finding out such information without appearing intrusive as a outsider. It'd be interesting to hear if they have another go at it, and whether they've learned from past mistakes.
You could try accessing the Condominium Property Act or speaking to a member of the Development Planning Unit for updates, but these are likely to be dry sources. It's a sensitive issue, and nosy neighbours might not get a warm welcome!

You could try accessing the Condominium Property Act or speaking to a member of the Development Planning Unit for updates, but these are likely to be dry sources. It's a sensitive issue, and nosy neighbours might not get a warm welcome!
There are probably better ways to find out without causing offence.

There are probably better ways to find out without causing offence.
Yes, I agree. One could try making friends with some of the residents or perhaps striking up a conversation with the security guards or maintenance staff, if any. They might have heard snippets of information, being around the place often. But even then, it's probably best to avoid prying too much.

Yes, I agree. One could try making friends with some of the residents or perhaps striking up a conversation with the security guards or maintenance staff, if any. They might have heard snippets of information, being around the place often. But even then, it's probably best to avoid prying too much.
It can indeed be tricky navigating such delicate social situations.

It can indeed be tricky navigating such delicate social situations.
Some people are just not comfortable sharing certain details with strangers, myself included.

Some people are just not comfortable sharing certain details with strangers, myself included.
That's fair enough. Some might view it as a personal matter or fear being judged somehow.

That's fair enough. Some might view it as a personal matter or fear being judged somehow.
that is very true! People tend to be cautious these days, which isn't always a bad thing. Protecting one's privacy is essential in such situations, especially when emotions and opinions are involved.

that is very true! People tend to be cautious these days, which isn't always a bad thing. Protecting one's privacy is essential in such situations, especially when emotions and opinions are involved.
Some folks around the condo have become rather adept at keeping their lips zipped after all these years.

Some folks around the condo have become rather adept at keeping their lips zipped after all these years.
it is wise not to share too much, especially with strangers. Better to keep certain matters close to one's chest until more sure of others' intentions. Protecting oneself first and foremost is a healthy practice, in my books!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
it is wise not to share too much, especially with strangers. Better to keep certain matters close to one's chest until more sure of others' intentions. Protecting oneself first and foremost is a healthy practice, in my books!
there are many nosy parkers these days, so one can never be too careful. I'd love to find out more about the condo's past en bloc attempts, but I know that wouldn't happen overnight. People need their space, and respect for privacy is paramount.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu