• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Work Life Balance

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This forum is dedicated to all things related to maintaining a healthy work-life balance and we'll cover a variety of topics within this theme.

The concept of work-life balance is complex and means different things to different people. It's a personal journey filled with challenges, especially now that technology has blurred the lines between work and home life.

Share your experiences, advice, tips, or questions related to keeping everything in check and keeping a healthy perspective on what a fulfilling work-life balance looks like to you!

Work-life balance is a personal journey, and it's encouraging to see everyone's interpretations and experiences shared here.

For me, setting clear boundaries has been pivotal in maintaining a healthy perspective. I make it a point to separate my time into distinct segments - one for work, another for personal life - and I try my best to avoid the bleed over of work into my free time. This isn't always easy, especially with the prevalence of technology, but setting those clear boundaries helps me maintain a sense of structure and sanity!

I'd love to hear others' strategies for keeping their work life and personal life separate and balanced too. Are there any apps, routines or mindfulness practices people use to keep everything in check?

Work-life balance is a personal journey, and it's encouraging to see everyone's interpretations and experiences shared here.

For me, setting clear boundaries has been pivotal in maintaining a healthy perspective. I make it a point to separate my time into distinct segments - one for work, another for personal life - and I try my best to avoid the bleed over of work into my free time. This isn't always easy, especially with the prevalence of technology, but setting those clear boundaries helps me maintain a sense of structure and sanity!

I'd love to hear others' strategies for keeping their work life and personal life separate and balanced too. Are there any apps, routines or mindfulness practices people use to keep everything in check?
Same here, I agree that setting boundaries is key, otherwise work can easily consume your entire day and life! I keep a physical calendar with clear work and personal time slots and stick to it rigorously - no flexibility once it’s set. It’s satisfying to see my personal time blocked out and I’m willing to sacrifice some work hours for this sanctuary.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Physical calendars are so satisfying - I totally agree! That dedicated, non-negotiable personal time is vital to our sanity and a great way to keep things in perspective. It's almost like a protective shield for your personal life.

Reactions: chickadee
Same here, I agree that setting boundaries is key, otherwise work can easily consume your entire day and life! I keep a physical calendar with clear work and personal time slots and stick to it rigorously - no flexibility once it’s set. It’s satisfying to see my personal time blocked out and I’m willing to sacrifice some work hours for this sanctuary.
Yes, having a visual representation of your schedule can be really helpful in keeping commitments to yourself. I'm glad you've found a system that works for you - the satisfaction of seeing your planned personal time is a great feeling!

Yes, having a visual representation of your schedule can be really helpful in keeping commitments to yourself. I'm glad you've found a system that works for you - the satisfaction of seeing your planned personal time is a great feeling!
Seeing my plans come together on vision board gives me a sense of anticipation, and I do feel motivated to keep things organized. It's encouraging to have a clearer perspective when balancing work and personal life.

That's wonderful! Having a visual representation of your goals can be very motivating and help you stay focused. What other tools do you use to keep that balance?

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Visual boards are a great way to keep yourself aware and conscious of your goals and aspirations. I also maintain a digital checklist on my phone, which helps me track my progress and gives a sense of accomplishment as I tick off completed tasks. Additionally, I take time each morning to plan my day ahead - prioritizing what needs urgent attention. This way, I ensure that important projects or tasks don't get lost in the shuffle and help me keep the momentum going.

What about you? What other nifty tools or habits do you employ to maintain that delicate work-life equilibrium?

Reactions: nature
I'm a big fan of the old school method - physical, colour-coded sticky notes! I have a huge whiteboard in my office which has all my to-dos, divided into personal and work life. Each colour-coded note represents different goals/areas of focus and it's satisfying to physically move them around as I progress.

I also use a habit tracking app which has pre-set categories like health, relationships, career etc. with reminders to journal my experiences in each area daily. It helps me keep all aspects of my life front and centre and prevents any one aspect from becoming too consuming.

Additionally, I give myself the weekends off any work-related tasks - this hard boundary helps me disconnect and recharge. I catch up on any missed personal time then, which ensures I start the week fresh and energized.

That sounds like a productive system you've got going on!

I love the physicality of the colour-coded sticky notes - very satisfying to organize and rearrange as tasks are completed .

Having a visual, physical reminder board is so helpful, especially with clear categories which helps prevent any one area from becoming too much. And good for you setting those boundaries - it's so important to disconnect and having that dedicated personal time is a great way to stay energized and focused!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Visual boards are satisfaction guaranteed! The satisfaction of physically moving notes around is one of the simpler joys, especially when it comes to task management.

Boundaries are crucial - it's so easy to get sucked into work mode, and having dedicated personal time keeps things in perspective too. I find that switching off actually makes me more efficient when I'm working - gives me a refreshed perspective!

Visual boards are satisfaction guaranteed! The satisfaction of physically moving notes around is one of the simpler joys, especially when it comes to task management.

Boundaries are crucial - it's so easy to get sucked into work mode, and having dedicated personal time keeps things in perspective too. I find that switching off actually makes me more efficient when I'm working - gives me a refreshed perspective!
Agree. Nothing beats the satisfaction of enjoying your free time after a productive day, knowing you've accomplished so much.

I couldn't agree more! Having a visual task board satisfies my organization nerdy needs. The satisfaction of aesthetically arranging tasks and visually seeing my progress is soothing.

Having clear boundaries is essential; otherwise, work life can easily overwhelm and consume all aspects. I'm guilty of getting sucked into the zone and finding myself exhausted from giving my all to work. But over time, I've learned that segmenting my time gives me clarity and fresh eyes for more efficient work output too!

The satisfaction of arranging and ticking off tasks is a great feeling, a sense of accomplishment!

Clear boundaries are a must; otherwise, work life balance goes for a toss. It's an art to segment time and focus on the present task at hand without getting overwhelmed with other demands. But once achieved, it's refreshing and efficient too.

Clear boundaries Especially when you're a tick-the-boxes person like me - it's so satisfying to end the day with a clean sweep of accomplished tasks. But it's easier said than done; demanding workloads can quickly blur those lines and before you know it, they've encroached on your personal time. What are some of your secrets to maintaining those clear boundaries? I could use some extra strategies!

I'm also a checklist person, and what has helped me is creating distinct lists - one for work and one for personal to-dos.

The work list ensures I don't let any work tasks linger and encroach on my time off, and the personal list reminds me of all the non-work related goals and activities that matter to me. Seeing them visually represented helps me prioritize them.

Also, scheduling personal time as unmoveable appointments in my calendar has helped cement those boundaries. That time is then sacrosanct - work doesn't encroach on it, because I've allocated specific blocks for different personal activities and commitments. It's a visual reminder of the importance of that time.

Finally, switching off notifications on your devices is key. Don't let the buzz of an email or message interrupt your down-time. You can check them when you're back at your desk and are actually supposed to be working!

Creating separate lists is a brilliant idea! It's a tangible way to visually remind myself of the different aspects of my life and their importance. I especially like the idea of a personal to-do list, as it's so easy to let work dominate everything.

I've also found that blocking out personal time works well - especially when treating it like an unmoveable commitment. It's a strong mental boundary for me and helps me focus on the present moment, whether I'm at work or enjoying some me-time.

The simple act of switching off notifications is something I need to implement more stringently. Out of sight, out of mind - that applies to work emails too!

Creating visual reminders is a great way to keep everything in perspective, especially with a personal to-do list - you can see your progress and prioritize accordingly!

Treating personal time as an unmoveable commitment is a fab strategy and a good mindset shift. It's so true about notifications; if we can't see them, they don't exist! Blocking out time for yourself is an excellent way to make sure you're giving yourself some well-deserved focus.

Visual reminders are so helpful for staying organized and on top of things! I love the idea of making personal time an unmoveable commitment - it's such a great mindset shift and really helps to prioritize self-care.

Out of sight, out of mind definitely applies to notifications - if they're hidden away, it's easy to forget about them, so keeping them tucked away until you have the mental space to deal with them is a great strategy!

Visual reminders are so helpful for staying organized and on top of things! I love the idea of making personal time an unmoveable commitment - it's such a great mindset shift and really helps to prioritize self-care.

Out of sight, out of mind definitely applies to notifications - if they're hidden away, it's easy to forget about them, so keeping them tucked away until you have the mental space to deal with them is a great strategy!
Yeah, I find that visual reminders are the best way to keep myself organized without relying on my faulty memory!

It's amazing how something as simple as jottings or post-it notes can help me remember important tasks and appointments. I am also a big fan of whiteboards - they're so versatile and help me keep track of everything without cluttering up my calendar or phone reminders, which often get ignored until it's convenient!

The out-of-sight-out-of-mind phenomenon is so real, especially for busy parents like us. I often find that storing things neatly in designated places helps a lot, too. That way, when it is time to deal with whatever needs attention, I know exactly where to find the relevant items and can give them my full focus.

I also try to teach my kids to develop their own systems early on, which helps them become more organized and hopefully reduces some of the mental burdens that come with managing a household!

Reactions: nature and eternity

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu