• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Wholesome Toddler Tasties

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Start with the good stuff - what are some of your toddler's favourite wholesome snacks and meals?

I'll go first! My little one absolutely goes wild for these cute little banana and oat cookies. They're healthy, super easy to make, and I can give them to her without worry because they're all natural ingredients.

Just mash up a couple of ripe bananas with some porridge oats - I usually add in a few spices like cinnamon too because why not? - roll them into little balls or flatten into cookies shapes, then bake for around 15 minutes.

They've got lots of calcium and fibre from the oats, plus potassium from the bananas, and they keep well for a few days in an airtight container. They're great for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack!

Start with the good stuff - what are some of your toddler's favourite wholesome snacks and meals?

I'll go first! My little one absolutely goes wild for these cute little banana and oat cookies. They're healthy, super easy to make, and I can give them to her without worry because they're all natural ingredients.

Just mash up a couple of ripe bananas with some porridge oats - I usually add in a few spices like cinnamon too because why not? - roll them into little balls or flatten into cookies shapes, then bake for around 15 minutes.

They've got lots of calcium and fibre from the oats, plus potassium from the bananas, and they keep well for a few days in an airtight container. They're great for busy mornings or as an afternoon snack!
My toddler loves homemade banana pancakes! I secretly add some mashed carrots and/or pumpkins, and even some protein by adding either yogurt or eggs into the mixture. It's a fun and tasty way to get some nutrients into his diet.

I usually make a big batch over the weeks, freeze them after cooling, and then defrost and toast them throughout the week for a quick breakfast or snack. They're a hit with different dips too, which encourages him to experiment with flavors!

My toddler loves homemade banana pancakes! I secretly add some mashed carrots and/or pumpkins, and even some protein by adding either yogurt or eggs into the mixture. It's a fun and tasty way to get some nutrients into his diet.

I usually make a big batch over the weeks, freeze them after cooling, and then defrost and toast them throughout the week for a quick breakfast or snack. They're a hit with different dips too, which encourages him to experiment with flavors!
That's an ingenious way to get some extra nutrients into their diet! I'm sure other mums would love to know more about your recipe! Do share your proportions and prep methods!

That's an ingenious way to get some extra nutrients into their diet! I'm sure other mums would love to know more about your recipe! Do share your proportions and prep methods!
Sure thing! I've got no issue sharing my recipe. It's honestly just a basic crepe/pancake batter with some secrets ingredients thrown in, haha!

Here's what I do:

1 cup of flour (I use plain white flour but you could easily substitute with wholemeal or any other type of flour)

2 teaspoons of baking powder

1 ripe banana - mashed

1/4 cup of mashed pumpkin/carrot (I steam/microwave/boil the veggies till soft, then mash them)

2 eggs

1/2 cup of milk (I use cow's milk but any other type would do fine)

1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Pinch of salt

Optional: cinnamon/nutmeg powder or any spices you prefer!

I just whiz all the ingredients together using my blender, but you could also mix them well in a bowl. The batter might seem a bit lumpy from the mashed bananas and veggies, but that's fine.

Then, I heat up a non-stick pan with some butter or cooking spray on medium heat, and ladle about 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto the pan. Cook like you normally would for pancakes, flipping them carefully.

I like to serve them warm with a dab of butter and a drizzle of honey, but my boy also loves them with nutella or peanut butter!

Yums!

I'm all about hiding nutritious ingredients and hoping they won't be noticed! It's fun to be sneaky sometimes 😁
These treats are delicious as written, but it's also so flexible. You can swap out various ingredients for different flavours/types or even just use what you have on hand. I'll often do that with frozen spinach, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrot etc depending on what needs to be used up!

That's a great strategy - it's so handy to have a versatile recipe like that up your sleeve! What other sneaky tactics do you have for getting extra nutrients into those tasty treats?

Having a few 'blank canvas' recipes is so helpful - like smooth oatmeal, pancakes, muffins and cookies! You can hide all sorts of pureed veggies in there, and also add in some extra boost with healthy fats like nut butters or flax seed. I often boost the protein by adding powdered peanut butter - the kids never know it's there but it ups the nutritional value!

Having a few 'blank canvas' recipes is so helpful - like smooth oatmeal, pancakes, muffins and cookies! You can hide all sorts of pureed veggies in there, and also add in some extra boost with healthy fats like nut butters or flax seed. I often boost the protein by adding powdered peanut butter - the kids never know it's there but it ups the nutritional value!
Good thinking with the powdered peanut butter - I'll have to try that! Also, do you have a go-to recipe for those muffins? They sound like a great portable snack and I'm always looking for new recipes!

I love the muffins I make for my tot because they're packed with hidden veggies, healthy fats, and protein. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/4 cup powdered peanut butter or you could use natural pb
- 1 medium grated zucchini
- 1 cup mashed banana (about 2 bananas)
- 1 egg

Instructions:

1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Prepare your muffin tray with nonstick spray or liners.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, flaxseed, and powdered peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
5. Fold in the zucchini and bananas.
6. Then, crack an egg into the mixture and give it a final stir.
7. Spoon the batter into your muffin trays. We like to fill them right to the top for big muffins.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool on a rack and enjoy! These babies freeze well too, so we often make a big batch.

I love the muffins I make for my tot because they're packed with hidden veggies, healthy fats, and protein. Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 egg

Instructions:

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, and vinegar. Let it sit for a few minutes to curdle.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, flaxseed, and powdered peanut butter. Stir until well combined.
7. Spoon the batter into your muffin trays. We like to fill them right to the top for big muffins.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool on a rack and enjoy! These babies freeze well too, so we often make a big batch.
Muffins are definitely convenient snacks that you can prepare in advance! These healthy treats sound delicious - especially with the addition of the hidden veggies and nutritious add-ins. I appreciate the detailed recipe - will definitely give them a go!

I've also heard good things about using avocado in baking - have you ever tried that?

Ingredients:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 egg

Instructions:

It's great to have a recipe that packs so much nutrition. Zucchinis are such a clever addition! Do you experiment with any other hidden vegetables? I'm keen to try these muffins now!

Muffins are definitely convenient snacks that you can prepare in advance! These healthy treats sound delicious - especially with the addition of the hidden veggies and nutritious add-ins. I appreciate the detailed recipe - will definitely give them a go!

I've also heard good things about using avocado in baking - have you ever tried that?
Hiding avocados in baking is a great idea too! I haven't personally baked with it much, but I've heard of people using it in chocolate muffins or cupcakes to add some healthy fats and a lovely creamy texture. It's such a versatile fruit (yes, technically not a veggie 😁) that I should experiment more with it in baking!

Some folks also Sneak in purees of green veggies like spinach into the avocado for an extra nutritious boost. You'd barely taste it with the rich flavor of the avocado and chocolate. Yum!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
It's great to have a recipe that packs so much nutrition. Zucchinis are such a clever addition! Do you experiment with any other hidden vegetables? I'm keen to try these muffins now!
I sometimes add carrots, spinach or sweet potatoes - especially if they need to be used up! I find the taste buds of toddlers quite intriguing; they seem to go for savoury treats more often than not, so these veggies work well.

Hiding avocados in baking is a great idea too! I haven't personally baked with it much, but I've heard of people using it in chocolate muffins or cupcakes to add some healthy fats and a lovely creamy texture. It's such a versatile fruit (yes, technically not a veggie 😁) that I should experiment more with it in baking!

Some folks also Sneak in purees of green veggies like spinach into the avocado for an extra nutritious boost. You'd barely taste it with the rich flavor of the avocado and chocolate. Yum!
Ooh, the addition of avocado pureed with spinach sounds delightful! It's such a clever way to get some extra greens into our diets too. I'm starting to see some tasty-looking recipes come up - definitely pinning them for future baking sessions! :D

I sometimes add carrots, spinach or sweet potatoes - especially if they need to be used up! I find the taste buds of toddlers quite intriguing; they seem to go for savoury treats more often than not, so these veggies work well.
That's interesting! I'm pleased to know that you've got some secret weapon ingredients to make those muffins yummy and nutritious! It's fascinating how different kids have varying tastes - it's quite intriguing how they somehow gravitate towards savory snacks. Not too sure if it's a good thing though, because my little one would definitely be in the sweet treats camp 😂!

That's interesting! I'm pleased to know that you've got some secret weapon ingredients to make those muffins yummy and nutritious! It's fascinating how different kids have varying tastes - it's quite intriguing how they somehow gravitate towards savory snacks. Not too sure if it's a good thing though, because my little one would definitely be in the sweet treats camp 😂!
Yes, it's fascinating how different kids can be! (Not to mention their parents too) :p

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Yes, it's fascinating how different kids can be! (Not to mention their parents too) :p
it's fascinating to witness the diverse preferences that young kids display even at such a young age! It's quite amazing how some toddlers innately veer towards savory snacks instead of sweet treats. There's definitely a lot for us parents and caregivers to learn about their unique tastes and palates!

It's a fascinating journey, isn't it? Each day serves up a new adventure or preference that we didn't see coming! The savory snack inclination is quite an interesting one, and it's delightful to watch these little people enjoy their crunchy carbs and salty delights. There's a whole world of flavors for them to explore, and it's a joy to encourage and facilitate these culinary adventures.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu