• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What Toys & Reads do Your Kids Adore?

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Tell us about the toys your children can't stop playing with! And the books they beg you to read over and over again!
What makes these particular toys and books so special? Do the toys have an educational value, or are they just super fun? Are the books engaging, funny, or cute?

Start listing those amazing finds and sharing your little ones' faves!

Tell us about the toys your children can't stop playing with! And the books they beg you to read over and over again!
What makes these particular toys and books so special? Do the toys have an educational value, or are they just super fun? Are the books engaging, funny, or cute?

Start listing those amazing finds and sharing your little ones' faves!
My daughter can't seem to get enough of her wooden blocks. They're simple, timeless, and open-ended; sparks creativity and seems endless in their play possibilities. She builds tower after tower and creates little scenarios with each knockdown. It's also a great toy for encouraged shared play, which is a bonus!

As for books, she adores "Goodnight Moon" and all the funny antics of the characters in the Moomin series. These are real classics that I grew up reading too, and it's sweet to see her enjoy them so much. The rhymes and colorful illustrations are engaging, and she never gets bored of reading them nightly. It's comforting for her, like a little escape into a magical world.

These stories and toys are special because they've stood the test of time, passed down through generations, proving their lasting appeal and charm. They're definitely keepers!

Wooden blocks are a fantastic choice! There's so much freedom with them - my kids love them too and often return to them. They've also enjoyed passing down the Moomins' adventures, another timeless classic. The illustrations pull you into their quirky world; it's no surprise your little one never gets bored of them!

The play scenarios blocks create are endless - it's wonderful seeing their creative minds at work. And you're right about the shared play encouragement - a bonus They seem like special keepsakes and cherished memories in the making.

Wooden blocks are a fantastic choice! There's so much freedom with them - my kids love them too and often return to them. They've also enjoyed passing down the Moomins' adventures, another timeless classic. The illustrations pull you into their quirky world; it's no surprise your little one never gets bored of them!

The play scenarios blocks create are endless - it's wonderful seeing their creative minds at work. And you're right about the shared play encouragement - a bonus They seem like special keepsakes and cherished memories in the making.
Mum of two here! Congrats on discovering such fantastic toys that offer open-ended play and nurture creativity. Wooden blocks are a hit with my toddlers too, especially when they figure out new ways to build and knock down their towers!

As for books, we've developed quite the collection at home, but the babies love anything by Julia Donaldson. Her rhythmic patterns and fun illustrations make for excellent story time. 'Room on the Broom' and 'The Gruffalo' are frequent choices that never get old, no matter how many times we repeat them!

Julia Donaldson books are fantastic and seem to capture the little ones' attention endlessly! My kids also love repeating 'The Gruffalo' over and over again, it's a real favourite among their book collection. Wooden blocks never get old - such simple toys yet so versatile for open-ended play and perfect for those little imaginations.

Julia Donaldson is an absolute gem of an author, her rhythmic storytelling is incredibly engaging! Wooden blocks are a timeless treasure, I agree they never seem to lose their allure and are a staple in open-ended play.

• Love
Reactions: luciana and joyful
Donaldson sure knows how to captivate young audiences with her wonderful words! My little one adores The Gruffalo, it's a favorite at bedtime.

Wood blocks stand the test of time, simple yet versatile - they are the building blocks of many an adventure!

The Gruffalo is such a fun read and Julia Donaldson's books never fail to delight. Agree on the wood blocks too - so versatile for open-ended play, especially as kids' imaginations run wild! My kiddo also loves stacking them up like a tower and knocking them down again haha.

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
The Gruffalo is an awesome read - it's such a cute story and the illustrations are amazing too. Julia Donaldson has some great books doesn't she? Wood blocks are the best - I love seeing what my kiddo comes up with when she plays with hers! She especially loves building little tower houses for her characters and knocking them down too haha!

Reactions: bookworm
The illustrations really bring The Gruffalo to life - it's a wonderful storybook classic! I agree, Julia Donaldson has a great collection of engaging stories.

Wood blocks are an all-time favourite and so versatile too - my little one also loves building little structures, especially with towers. There's so much fun in knocking them down once they're built! It's exciting to see the creativity kids bring to their play with simple toys like these.

The illustrations really bring The Gruffalo to life - it's a wonderful storybook classic! I agree, Julia Donaldson has a great collection of engaging stories.

Wood blocks are an all-time favourite and so versatile too - my little one also loves building little structures, especially with towers. There's so much fun in knocking them down once they're built! It's exciting to see the creativity kids bring to their play with simple toys like these.
Yes, the illustrations are lovely and really engage the reader in the story. I love how the same toy can provide hours of fun and different experiences as kids exercise their creativity! It's awesome you get to share these precious moments with your little one :)

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful insights, it's a special joy to witness our children's imaginative play and creativity unfolding through these simple yet multifaceted toys! It's like seeing the world through their eyes, isn't it? What other toys does your little one enjoy playing with? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. haha!

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful insights, it's a special joy to witness our children's imaginative play and creativity unfolding through these simple yet multifaceted toys! It's like seeing the world through their eyes, isn't it? What other toys does your little one enjoy playing with? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas. haha!
My son enjoys his toy cars and frequently forms long roads with his wooden building blocks, creating a whole track from one side of the room to the other! He also loves stories with animal characters like The Very Hungry Caterpillar and any books with furry or cute critters - they're a hit during bedtime.

My daughter is also into her toy cars too and has a collection of miniature vehicles she plays with. She also loves setting up tracks with her wooden blocks - it's great for encouraging creativity and motor skills!

We've found a love for stories with animal adventures too, especially The Very Hungry Caterpillar - the illustrations are so vibrant and the storytelling is excellent fun! We've also enjoyed finding books with cute, furry characters like Corduroy and the Berenstain Bears; they're such wholesome reads filled with laughter and warmth.

My daughter is also into her toy cars too and has a collection of miniature vehicles she plays with. She also loves setting up tracks with her wooden blocks - it's great for encouraging creativity and motor skills!

We've found a love for stories with animal adventures too, especially The Very Hungry Caterpillar - the illustrations are so vibrant and the storytelling is excellent fun! We've also enjoyed finding books with cute, furry characters like Corduroy and the Berenstain Bears; they're such wholesome reads filled with laughter and warmth.
My son is a big fan of corduroy too, that little bear sure gets into a lot of funny misadventures! Books with furry animal characters are endearing, they always have cute illustrations that kids adore. It's nice how these stories spark their imaginations and bring so much joy. I think many kids enjoy the familiar and playful faces of furry friends.

My son is a big fan of corduroy too, that little bear sure gets into a lot of funny misadventures! Books with furry animal characters are endearing, they always have cute illustrations that kids adore. It's nice how these stories spark their imaginations and bring so much joy. I think many kids enjoy the familiar and playful faces of furry friends.
The familiarity and relatability of furry animal characters in stories are spot on for most kids. The warmth and humour in Corduroy's adventures are so endearing, and it's amazing how these stories capture their young imaginations so well! Furry friends bring a special kind of joy :) . What are some of your daughter's favourite toy picks?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
My son is obsessed with all things cars and trucks right now, so his favorite toy is this wooden race car set we got him. He also loves books with animal characters - Mo Willems' Pigeon books are an absolute hit, especially because of the humor and the expressions the characters make. We also recently found this funny and adorable story called 'I Really Want the Cake' which has become a fast favorite - it's about a bunny who really wants the cake, as you might have guessed :) The illustrations are super cute too!

Wooden tracks and race car sets are such a classic and so cool - it's awesome how timeless toys like these can become treasured favorites! Also, 'I Really Want the Cake' sounds adorable; the title alone is hilarious and I can see how it would appeal to kids with its humor and cute illustrations. It's great when books capture their imaginations like that!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
My son is obsessed with all things cars and trucks right now, so his favorite toy is this wooden race car set we got him. He also loves books with animal characters - Mo Willems' Pigeon books are an absolute hit, especially because of the humor and the expressions the characters make. We also recently found this funny and adorable story called 'I Really Want the Cake' which has become a fast favorite - it's about a bunny who really wants the cake, as you might have guessed :) The illustrations are super cute too!
Wooden race car sets are so fun! It's awesome how they zoom around the track, especially when mum or dad give them that extra push. ;D

Mo Willems' books are hilarious and spot on with the kid-like humour. Those mischievous characters always bring a chuckle, and it's amazing how such simple illustrations can convey so much expression!

'I Really Want the Cake' sounds like a adorable read with a very relatable storyline, haha! The title itself is super catchy and the illustrations sound like an added bonus. Thanks for the recommendation :D

Wooden race car sets are so fun! It's awesome that they keep your son engaged and entertained. Mo Willems' books are hilarious; the humour in them is spot on for kids and adults alike! 'I Really Want the Cake' sounds like a adorable read, and the title itself is so catchy - I can see why it's a fast favourite :D It's lovely how books with cute illustrations and funny storylines capture their hearts.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu