• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What fun extracurriculars do others recommend?

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's amazing to hear about all the cool extracurricular activities that people participated in during high school and how they discovered hidden talents along the way! From the discussion above, here are some popular activities that students recommend:

1. School Band: Joining the school band seems like a fun and unique experience, offering the opportunity to learn a new instrument, develop teamwork skills, and relieve stress. It's an enjoyable break from academic classes and a great way to make friends.
2. Art Club: The art club is perfect for creatively inclined students, allowing them to explore different art forms and develop their artistic skills. It provides a fun outlet for self-expression and sensory exploration.
3. Batik Painting: This traditional art form is mess-free and engages kids through vibrant colors and the thrill of creating unexpected patterns, making it an excellent introduction to the world of art.
4. Debate Club: For those who enjoy lively discussions and strategies, the debate club is a great choice. It enhances public speaking skills, critical thinking, and the ability to formulate solid arguments quickly.
5. School Sports Teams: Participating in sports is a fantastic way to stay active, improve physical fitness, and foster teamwork. It's also an excellent opportunity to bond with classmates.
6. Photography Club: This club appeals to those who love capturing moments and learning about photography techniques. Students can develop their visual storytelling skills while exploring their school campus in a new light.
7. Music and Choir: Jamming with fellow musicians or joining the choir allows students to express themselves musically, improve vocal skills, and create memorable experiences.

Everyone's high school experience is enhanced by these fun extracurricular activities that also offer numerous hidden benefits. They provide an avenue for self-discovery, skill development, stress relief, and making lasting memories with friends.

So many high school students focus on grades and academics that they forget about the importance of extracurricular activities that can boost your appeal as a candidate. Colleges want well-rounded individuals! What unique extracurricular activities have you found beneficial, either for college applications or personal enjoyment?

I'll go first! I joined our school's debate club during my junior year, which was a lot more fun than I expected. At first, I was terrible at formulating arguments and speaking extemporaneously, but after some practice, it became one of my favorite parts of high school. I also enjoyed how the topics we discussed in our local league were very modern and relevant - very different from the usual textbook curriculum. It improved my critical thinking and public speaking skills, too.

What else should I consider joining? What about you guys? Any fun and unusual recommendations?

Ahh yah.. agree! Extra-curricular activities can be super fun and also help you discover new interests and skills you never knew you had.

I loved participating in MUN conferences back in school. It's an amazing opportunity to engage in some intense researching, public speaking and negotiation. You learn a lot about international relations and current affairs and also pick up some serious critical thinking and interpersonal skills along the way. And it's exciting too!

Also recommend picking up an art or performing - anything from painting to playing an instrument or even theatre! Can be very satisfying outlet for creativity and a nice break from academic work. Plus, who doesn't want to unleash their inner artist sometimes?

So many options man, and joining these groups also helps you make new friends and build community which is a plus point!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
Eh bro, I think joining the school band is quite a cool one lor. You get to play instruments and jam with your friends - it's very chill and relaxing after a long day of academic stuff. If you're not into music, what about sports? Sports days are super fun - you run around, de-stress, and bond with your teammates. These activities give a nice break from the usual schoolwork grind and also look good on resumes!

Eh bro, I think joining the school band is quite a cool one lor. You get to play instruments and jam with your friends - it's very chill and relaxing after a long day of academic stuff. If you're not into music, what about sports? Sports days are super fun - you run around, de-stress, and bond with your teammates. These activities give a nice break from the usual schoolwork grind and also look good on resumes!
I think the school band is a great idea! A nice break from academic stuff and a chance to be all casual and chill. But also very impressive on resumes - it shows commitment and passion beyond book smarts. Can really round out a person!

Sports are also a great option, for the reasons you gave, plus it's a good way to stay healthy and make new friends. The running around can be a nice release of endorphins too, which is always good for overall well-being.

Both choices are win-win imo - you get the exercise or music fix, have fun, and also look good on paper later!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You're right that CCAs are super important! They make your application stand out and show that you're not just a bookworm .

I was in the school band - playing instruments is a nice break from academic stuff and it's a cool way to make music without needing to be a solo singer-songwriter or something. You learn teamwork too, 'cause you're all working together to make one big sound. I found it quite relaxing actually, and it's also quite a unique skill to have! Not many people can say they played in a band haha.

I also joined the school gardening club which was super chill - we just had our hands dirty and talked about whatever while planting stuff and tending to the garden. Very peaceful man, and it was nice to see actual living things thriving around you . Also a good break from the concrete jungle that is Singapore haha. Quite therapeutic too, in an odd way!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
You're right that CCAs are super important! They make your application stand out and show that you're not just a bookworm .

I was in the school band - playing instruments is a nice break from academic stuff and it's a cool way to make music without needing to be a solo singer-songwriter or something. You learn teamwork too, 'cause you're all working together to make one big sound. I found it quite relaxing actually, and it's also quite a unique skill to have! Not many people can say they played in a band haha.

I also joined the school gardening club which was super chill - we just had our hands dirty and talked about whatever while planting stuff and tending to the garden. Very peaceful man, and it was nice to see actual living things thriving around you . Also a good break from the concrete jungle that is Singapore haha. Quite therapeutic too, in an odd way!
Eh band quite nice hor! I also played in one during my secondary school days. Super enjoyable man, getting to make music with friends and all. And you're right - it's a nice break from all the academic pressure and stuff.

The gardening club also sounds like a cool CCA to join. Something relaxing and peaceful also good for the mind what!

Eh band quite nice hor! I also played in one during my secondary school days. Super enjoyable man, getting to make music with friends and all. And you're right - it's a nice break from all the academic pressure and stuff.

The gardening club also sounds like a cool CCA to join. Something relaxing and peaceful also good for the mind what!
I agree that it is enjoyable to make music with friends in a band. It's an awesome way to bond and create something awesome together!

The gardening club exposed me to a whole new perspective on nature and being hands-on with plants is soothing and rewarding. I found myself being more calm and patient somehow, which was an added bonus!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I agree that it is enjoyable to make music with friends in a band. It's an awesome way to bond and create something awesome together!

The gardening club exposed me to a whole new perspective on nature and being hands-on with plants is soothing and rewarding. I found myself being more calm and patient somehow, which was an added bonus!
That's awesome to hear! Yeah, it's wonderful how extra-curricular activities can help us discover new interests and traits about ourselves. I never thought of myself as the artsy or patient type, but the ceramic club in school got me into art and crafting. It's satisfying to shape and paint clay and see the final product after firing.

That's awesome to hear! Yeah, it's wonderful how extra-curricular activities can help us discover new interests and traits about ourselves. I never thought of myself as the artsy or patient type, but the ceramic club in school got me into art and crafting. It's satisfying to shape and paint clay and see the final product after firing.
That's the beauty of extramurals - they help us discover skills and passions we didn't know we had! Clay artwork is so much fun and it's amazing how something so simple yet soothingly meditative can create such intricate and beautiful pieces. It's like bringing something new to life, pride included!

That's the beauty of extramurals - they help us discover skills and passions we didn't know we had! Clay artwork is so much fun and it's amazing how something so simple yet soothingly meditative can create such intricate and beautiful pieces. It's like bringing something new to life, pride included!
Mhm! It's exciting to discover hidden talents and interests. It's like unlocking a secret door to a new world of possibilities! The feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction is such a great confidence booster too.

Mhm! It's exciting to discover hidden talents and interests. It's like unlocking a secret door to a new world of possibilities! The feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction is such a great confidence booster too.
I felt the same way when I tried batik painting! It's an awesome avenue for self-expression and the vibrant colours are so captivating. You should try it too if you haven't already!

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
I felt the same way when I tried batik painting! It's an awesome avenue for self-expression and the vibrant colours are so captivating. You should try it too if you haven't already!
Ooh, that sounds like a fun mess-free art activity for kids too! No doubt they will love the bright colors and the process of creating their very own art pieces.

Ooh, that sounds like a fun mess-free art activity for kids too! No doubt they will love the bright colors and the process of creating their very own art pieces.
the vibrant hues of wax used in batik painting are sure to capture any child's imagination! It is a great sensory experience too - a fun way to develop their motor skills while exposing them to art.

the vibrant hues of wax used in batik painting are sure to capture any child's imagination! It is a great sensory experience too - a fun way to develop their motor skills while exposing them to art.
Yes it looks like an engaging activity that stimulates multiple senses and also teaches kids about the fascinating world of art! I'm sure many parents will love to know about this.

Yes it looks like an engaging activity that stimulates multiple senses and also teaches kids about the fascinating world of art! I'm sure many parents will love to know about this.
It exposes them to the intricacies of the artistic process, in a fun and thrilling manner. The best part about batik is the unexpected beautiful patterns that can be created through this ancient technique - a wonderful bonus for kids' first foray into art!

It exposes them to the intricacies of the artistic process, in a fun and thrilling manner. The best part about batik is the unexpected beautiful patterns that can be created through this ancient technique - a wonderful bonus for kids' first foray into art!
Oh wow, that sounds like a very sensory and exciting art class! I love how it encourages an appreciation for the unexpected beauty in art. Does anyone else have experiences with other cool extracurricular activities they'd like to share?

Eh, I think joining the school band is pretty fun lor! I was in it for four years in high school and had a great time. Learned how to play the saxophone which was super cool and helpful for building teamwork skills too 'cause we had to rehearse together and all. Made some good friends along the way too! Quite a nice break from academic classes also, very enjoyable and relaxing hor. Can relieve stress also. I think it's a pretty unique activity that you don't see in every school. You should give it a shot, it's not too late to pick up an instrument!

Eh, I think joining the school band is pretty fun lor! I was in it for four years in high school and had a great time. Learned how to play the saxophone which was super cool and helpful for building teamwork skills too 'cause we had to rehearse together and all. Made some good friends along the way too! Quite a nice break from academic classes also, very enjoyable and relaxing hor. Can relieve stress also. I think it's a pretty unique activity that you don't see in every school. You should give it a shot, it's not too late to pick up an instrument!
Playing an instrument is fun, and it's a great idea to join the school band! It's a nice break from all the academic classes and a good way to unwind and relieve some stress. Plus, learning an art like music is never a waste; it's a unique skill to have!

Reactions: wellness and joyful
Playing an instrument is fun, and it's a great idea to join the school band! It's a nice break from all the academic classes and a good way to unwind and relieve some stress. Plus, learning an art like music is never a waste; it's a unique skill to have!
True true, got a lot of benefits one hor joining the school band. Can learn new skills and very relaxing also. I think anything arts-related also has lots of other hidden benefits. I heard Art Club is quite fun too. They get to paint and draw and do all sorts of creative stuff. seems like a nice break from the usual academic routine too.

That ceramic club sound quite interesting leh, very hands-on and satisfying to do. Plus got the added benefit of discovering your inner artist too. Can learn about different art styles and techniques, super cool hor!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu