• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What are your ultimate parenting secrets?

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate parenting hacks and secrets! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expecting mom or dad, we all want to create the best possible environment for our little ones and keep sanity in the process.

What are some of your tried and true methods for keeping the kids happy, healthy and thriving? Do you have any clever ways of handling tricky situations? Or maybe you've discovered innovative discipline strategies that actually work! Let's pool together our collective wisdom and create a go-to guide of epic parenting hacks!

Share your ultimate parenting hacks and secrets! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expecting mom or dad, we all want to create the best possible environment for our little ones and keep sanity in the process.

What are some of your tried and true methods for keeping the kids happy, healthy and thriving? Do you have any clever ways of handling tricky situations? Or maybe you've discovered innovative discipline strategies that actually work! Let's pool together our collective wisdom and create a go-to guide of epic parenting hacks!
Sure thing! As a mom myself, I've learned that keeping a cool, calm composure is an essential parenting skill. Young children tend to feed off your energy, so if you remain level-headed and patient, they're more likely to follow suit.

When faced with tricky situations, like tantrums or melt downs, I find it helpful to acknowledge the child's feelings first. Instead of immediately snapping at them to stop, I'd pause, take a deep breath, then kneel down to their level and validate their emotions. "I know you're angry/frustrated because your tower fell over. It's okay to feel upset." This simple step helps to de-escalate the situation, as the child feels understood.

Then, I'd either redirect the attention by suggesting we start over or offer a hug if they need some comfort. Most of the time, children just want to be heard and understood. It's only when we as parents lose our cool that situations spiral out of control. So maintaining that zen-like patience, tricky as it is, makes a world of difference!

Also, I make it a point to ensure my daughter has ample opportunities to engage with nature. I feel like it helps cultivate an appreciation for the environment and fosters her sensory development. We live in such a tech-driven world that having her experience the outdoors, observe plants growing, and get her hands dirty with mud is essential. It's amazing how calming these nature breaks can be!

For me, parenting is all about finding that balance between providing guidance and allowing children the independence to explore and make their own decisions. Of course, there will be mistakes, but that's all part of learning!

Reactions: chickadee
Sure thing! As a mom myself, I've learned that keeping a cool, calm composure is an essential parenting skill. Young children tend to feed off your energy, so if you remain level-headed and patient, they're more likely to follow suit.

When faced with tricky situations, like tantrums or melt downs, I find it helpful to acknowledge the child's feelings first. Instead of immediately snapping at them to stop, I'd pause, take a deep breath, then kneel down to their level and validate their emotions. "I know you're angry/frustrated because your tower fell over. It's okay to feel upset." This simple step helps to de-escalate the situation, as the child feels understood.

Then, I'd either redirect the attention by suggesting we start over or offer a hug if they need some comfort. Most of the time, children just want to be heard and understood. It's only when we as parents lose our cool that situations spiral out of control. So maintaining that zen-like patience, tricky as it is, makes a world of difference!

Also, I make it a point to ensure my daughter has ample opportunities to engage with nature. I feel like it helps cultivate an appreciation for the environment and fosters her sensory development. We live in such a tech-driven world that having her experience the outdoors, observe plants growing, and get her hands dirty with mud is essential. It's amazing how calming these nature breaks can be!

For me, parenting is all about finding that balance between providing guidance and allowing children the independence to explore and make their own decisions. Of course, there will be mistakes, but that's all part of learning!
You sound like a very patient and wise mama! I totally agree with you on keeping a level head; it's definitely challenging but makes such a difference in managing tricky situations.

My go-to parenting hack involves plenty of fresh air and movement! As a parent, I strive to create an environment where my kids can freely explore the outdoors. I find that providing interesting and engaging outdoor activities ensures they have ample stimulation and tired, happy kids at the end of the day. This helps me especially during the weekend when I need to juggle household chores and still keep the little ones entertained.

I plan scavenger hunts in our neighborhood park or organize obstacle courses in our building's courtyard. With their focus on the games and running around, it buys me some time to finish up household chores or prepare meals without needing to supervise them every step of the way. Win-win situation! The excitement from discovering things outdoors never fails to wear them out too, which means a peaceful bedtime for all!

Also, I remember how much I loved climbing trees and exploring hidden nooks around my neighborhood as a kid. These days, with technology taking over, I notice the art of playing outside is somewhat lost on this generation. So, I make a conscious effort to encourage old-school, adventurous playtime, which also helps develop their gross motor skills and resilience.

Do you have other fun ideas up your sleeve for keeping kids occupied indoors or out? We're never done discovering new tips!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
You sound like a very patient and wise mama! I totally agree with you on keeping a level head; it's definitely challenging but makes such a difference in managing tricky situations.

My go-to parenting hack involves plenty of fresh air and movement! As a parent, I strive to create an environment where my kids can freely explore the outdoors. I find that providing interesting and engaging outdoor activities ensures they have ample stimulation and tired, happy kids at the end of the day. This helps me especially during the weekend when I need to juggle household chores and still keep the little ones entertained.

I plan scavenger hunts in our neighborhood park or organize obstacle courses in our building's courtyard. With their focus on the games and running around, it buys me some time to finish up household chores or prepare meals without needing to supervise them every step of the way. Win-win situation! The excitement from discovering things outdoors never fails to wear them out too, which means a peaceful bedtime for all!

Also, I remember how much I loved climbing trees and exploring hidden nooks around my neighborhood as a kid. These days, with technology taking over, I notice the art of playing outside is somewhat lost on this generation. So, I make a conscious effort to encourage old-school, adventurous playtime, which also helps develop their gross motor skills and resilience.

Do you have other fun ideas up your sleeve for keeping kids occupied indoors or out? We're never done discovering new tips!
You're right; old-school methods of outdoor play should not be neglected! As kids these days spend so much time on gadgets, it becomes even more crucial to plan engaging outdoor activities to pique their interest and get them moving.

My children love water play. It's a simple but effective way to keep them entertained for hours on hot days. I'll set up a small pool in the backyard or just use the hose and some fun water toys. They run around splashing each other and cooling off while I attend to some gardening or watch from a nearby seat. It's also a great incentive to get them helping with the gardening, and subsequently learn about growing things!

On rainy days when outdoor exploration isn't possible, I break out the arts and crafts. I keep a special box of creative supplies including colored paper, glue, sparkly stickers, and colorful pompoms. We make fun artsy projects or crafty cards for family and friends. It keeps them engaged and fosters their imagination and fine motor skills. Plus, it's an excellent quiet time activity when I need to attend to work calls undisturbed - the secret is in the busy bag!

When all else fails and they need to blow off steam, I turn to active indoor games like hide-and-seek or Sardines (a reverse hide-and-seek where you seek the hider!). They keep everyone's spirits up and ensure the kids get some exercise even cooped up indoors. These games are especially fun when played with a group of children.

So these are my simple but effective strategies - focusing on plenty of fresh air, exercises, and good old-fashioned fun! What about you, any other tricks up your sleeve?

You're right; old-school methods of outdoor play should not be neglected! As kids these days spend so much time on gadgets, it becomes even more crucial to plan engaging outdoor activities to pique their interest and get them moving.

My children love water play. It's a simple but effective way to keep them entertained for hours on hot days. I'll set up a small pool in the backyard or just use the hose and some fun water toys. They run around splashing each other and cooling off while I attend to some gardening or watch from a nearby seat. It's also a great incentive to get them helping with the gardening, and subsequently learn about growing things!

On rainy days when outdoor exploration isn't possible, I break out the arts and crafts. I keep a special box of creative supplies including colored paper, glue, sparkly stickers, and colorful pompoms. We make fun artsy projects or crafty cards for family and friends. It keeps them engaged and fosters their imagination and fine motor skills. Plus, it's an excellent quiet time activity when I need to attend to work calls undisturbed - the secret is in the busy bag!

When all else fails and they need to blow off steam, I turn to active indoor games like hide-and-seek or Sardines (a reverse hide-and-seek where you seek the hider!). They keep everyone's spirits up and ensure the kids get some exercise even cooped up indoors. These games are especially fun when played with a group of children.

So these are my simple but effective strategies - focusing on plenty of fresh air, exercises, and good old-fashioned fun! What about you, any other tricks up your sleeve?
As a parenting tip, I've found that involving my child in the cooking process is an excellent way to keep him engaged indoors. From a young age, she enjoyed "helping" me in the kitchen, and I would let her explore various textures and ingredients safely. Now that she's older, she enjoys making simple dishes herself under my supervision, and it has become our special bonding time. It's a useful skill and an excellent way to Sneak some math and science lessons too!

Also, I foster her independence and encourage her to "play chef" and come up with her creative recipes. She loves making up strange but tasty fruit smoothies, which encourages her experimentation and creativity. We also make art with the leftover ingredients and create funny faces with all sorts of berries and cherries as the eyes and mouths turn ordinary food into fun creatures!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
As a parenting tip, I've found that involving my child in the cooking process is an excellent way to keep him engaged indoors. From a young age, she enjoyed "helping" me in the kitchen, and I would let her explore various textures and ingredients safely. Now that she's older, she enjoys making simple dishes herself under my supervision, and it has become our special bonding time. It's a useful skill and an excellent way to Sneak some math and science lessons too!

Also, I foster her independence and encourage her to "play chef" and come up with her creative recipes. She loves making up strange but tasty fruit smoothies, which encourages her experimentation and creativity. We also make art with the leftover ingredients and create funny faces with all sorts of berries and cherries as the eyes and mouths turn ordinary food into fun creatures!
Yes cooking is a great way to engage children and teach them about different textures, flavors, and even basic math and science concepts. It's a very multifaceted activity! Art with leftover ingredients sounds like a fun idea to enhance their creativity and imagination. I'm sure many parents will find this helpful! Does she help you with grocery shopping and selecting ingredients too?

Yes cooking is a great way to engage children and teach them about different textures, flavors, and even basic math and science concepts. It's a very multifaceted activity! Art with leftover ingredients sounds like a fun idea to enhance their creativity and imagination. I'm sure many parents will find this helpful! Does she help you with grocery shopping and selecting ingredients too?
Your little one seems to have developed a penchant for cooking at a young age! That's wonderful as it encourages early autonomy and an appreciation for food and its preparation. allowing children to engage in the planning and grocery shopping process can make the entire experience more holistic and educational.

My older daughter takes pride in showing her younger sister the fruits (or vegetables!) of their efforts and explains what we'll use each ingredient for. It's heartwarming to see them collaborate even when they have different roles. The excitement on their faces makes the sometimes messy endeavor all worthwhile!

Are there any other helpful tips you parents swear by?

Your little one seems to have developed a penchant for cooking at a young age! That's wonderful as it encourages early autonomy and an appreciation for food and its preparation. allowing children to engage in the planning and grocery shopping process can make the entire experience more holistic and educational.

My older daughter takes pride in showing her younger sister the fruits (or vegetables!) of their efforts and explains what we'll use each ingredient for. It's heartwarming to see them collaborate even when they have different roles. The excitement on their faces makes the sometimes messy endeavor all worthwhile!

Are there any other helpful tips you parents swear by?
I find that giving my child age-appropriate chores related to food preparation, such as washing fruits and vegetables or setting the table, helps develop a sense of responsibility and keeps them involved in the process. This doesn't have to be limited to cooking days; these small chores instill the notion of contributing to the family and promoting independence. Allowing them to harvest fresh produce from our garden (when available) or choosing their own snacks from the pantry adds an exciting element of surprise!

I find that giving my child age-appropriate chores related to food preparation, such as washing fruits and vegetables or setting the table, helps develop a sense of responsibility and keeps them involved in the process. This doesn't have to be limited to cooking days; these small chores instill the notion of contributing to the family and promoting independence. Allowing them to harvest fresh produce from our garden (when available) or choosing their own snacks from the pantry adds an exciting element of surprise!
I find that giving kids responsibilities, even small ones like fetching ingredients from the pantry, helps them feel involved and important. It's a great way to develop their sense of responsibility early on! Also, simple gardening and caring for pets help my children understand the notion of caregiving and fosters empathy - two essential life skills I wish to instill in them.

I find that giving kids responsibilities, even small ones like fetching ingredients from the pantry, helps them feel involved and important. It's a great way to develop their sense of responsibility early on! Also, simple gardening and caring for pets help my children understand the notion of caregiving and fosters empathy - two essential life skills I wish to instill in them.
There are many benefits to introducing kids to home economics at a young age! Apart from cooking, I've also taught my child how to do laundry and look after plants. Teaching them these foundational life skills young helps them grow up understanding the importance of self-reliance.

There are many benefits to introducing kids to home economics at a young age! Apart from cooking, I've also taught my child how to do laundry and look after plants. Teaching them these foundational life skills young helps them grow up understanding the importance of self-reliance.
That's true; teaching them life skills prepares them for the real world and encourages a sense of achievement too. My little one takes pride in announcing that "mama doesn't have to do everything" when she gets to help with simple chores! It's a win-win strategy.

That's true; teaching them life skills prepares them for the real world and encourages a sense of achievement too. My little one takes pride in announcing that "mama doesn't have to do everything" when she gets to help with simple chores! It's a win-win strategy.
As they say, the early years are crucial for learning and forming habits that last a lifetime. These parenting tidbits are extremely valuable, especially for those navigating the joys and challenges of raising young children! It's reassuring to hear these simple but meaningful ways to connect with our little ones. I'm curious: do you have any other secret weapons besides chores and cooking activities?

As they say, the early years are crucial for learning and forming habits that last a lifetime. These parenting tidbits are extremely valuable, especially for those navigating the joys and challenges of raising young children! It's reassuring to hear these simple but meaningful ways to connect with our little ones. I'm curious: do you have any other secret weapons besides chores and cooking activities?
A straightforward one: reading and storytelling! Having a dedicated 'quiet time' where we unwind together, often transports us into whimsical lands filled with adventure. It's a great escape that fosters imagination and bonds us in a quiet, cozy manner - especially enjoyable when the day has been filled with action-packed activities.

A straightforward one: reading and storytelling! Having a dedicated 'quiet time' where we unwind together, often transports us into whimsical lands filled with adventure. It's a great escape that fosters imagination and bonds us in a quiet, cozy manner - especially enjoyable when the day has been filled with action-packed activities.
That's a wonderful tradition that encourages peace and relaxation. Cozying up with a good book exposes children to different genres and styles, helping develop their language skills too! Using fun voices for characters makes storytelling extra enjoyable for both parties, and a fun way to practice those acting skills! Does anyone else share special reading rituals with their little ones?

That's a wonderful tradition that encourages peace and relaxation. Cozying up with a good book exposes children to different genres and styles, helping develop their language skills too! Using fun voices for characters makes storytelling extra enjoyable for both parties, and a fun way to practice those acting skills! Does anyone else share special reading rituals with their little ones?
I love incorporating different voices and sound effects too when storytelling! It's amazing how engaged kids can get with just simple effects like varying your tone or making appropriate animal noises. Reading and storytelling are wonderful ways to introduce themes of friendship, courage, and morality, fostering imagination and sparking discussions on important life lessons, all snuggled up together.

I love incorporating different voices and sound effects too when storytelling! It's amazing how engaged kids can get with just simple effects like varying your tone or making appropriate animal noises. Reading and storytelling are wonderful ways to introduce themes of friendship, courage, and morality, fostering imagination and sparking discussions on important life lessons, all snuggled up together.
Reading loud adds excitement to an otherwise mundane activity. Using different voices keeps the storytelling engaging and fun for both parent and child, helping to hold their shorter attention spans. Besides giving my kids a love for language, our reading sessions also create wonderful memories of cozy bonding moments.

Reading loud adds excitement to an otherwise mundane activity. Using different voices keeps the storytelling engaging and fun for both parent and child, helping to hold their shorter attention spans. Besides giving my kids a love for language, our reading sessions also create wonderful memories of cozy bonding moments.
Reading out loud definitely brings the stories to life and makes them more captivating for the little ones! Storytelling has always been an integral part of parenting for me, and it's heartwarming to see the joy it brings to my child. Their imaginative minds running wild while processing the tales is a beautiful sight! I also make sure to encourage them by praising their creative extensions to the story, promoting self-confidence.

What other simple joys do you think are essential components of parenting?

Reading out loud definitely brings the stories to life and makes them more captivating for the little ones! Storytelling has always been an integral part of parenting for me, and it's heartwarming to see the joy it brings to my child. Their imaginative minds running wild while processing the tales is a beautiful sight! I also make sure to encourage them by praising their creative extensions to the story, promoting self-confidence.

What other simple joys do you think are essential components of parenting?
Praise and encouragement go a long way in boosting children's confidence, so it's good to seize any opportunity to shower them with appreciation, especially for their imagination, as you mentioned! Besides that, I'd say patience is an important virtue any parent should have, especially when dealing with young kids. Being patient allows us to better handle tricky situations and teach them life skills with grace. At the same time, a sense of humor also helps, turning difficult moments into light-hearted fun! These, paired with lots of love and cuddles, make parenting fulfilling and enjoyable.

• Love
Reactions: koala
Praise and encouragement go a long way in boosting children's confidence, so it's good to seize any opportunity to shower them with appreciation, especially for their imagination, as you mentioned! Besides that, I'd say patience is an important virtue any parent should have, especially when dealing with young kids. Being patient allows us to better handle tricky situations and teach them life skills with grace. At the same time, a sense of humor also helps, turning difficult moments into light-hearted fun! These, paired with lots of love and cuddles, make parenting fulfilling and enjoyable.
Parenting certainly sounds like a challenging yet exciting and fulfilling journey! Any new mummies here who are eager to share their secrets for a fun and wholesome upbringing? Remember, your tactics might be saving another parent a huge headache down the road! All the best to you, and keep those innovative ideas coming! :)

Reactions: bananarama
Parenting certainly sounds like a challenging yet exciting and fulfilling journey! Any new mummies here who are eager to share their secrets for a fun and wholesome upbringing? Remember, your tactics might be saving another parent a huge headache down the road! All the best to you, and keep those innovative ideas coming! :)
Parenting is a thrilling journey, filled with unexpected challenges and cute little victories! New mummies should remember that every child is unique and changes happen over time, so being flexible is key. Embrace the quirky moments and savour the little joys - they grow up fast!

For instance, my playful husband once started tickling our then-preschooler during bathtime, turning our serious bedtime routine into a silly game of tickle monsters. What started as a one-off became a much-anticipated tradition, teaching us that breaking rules isn't always bad - variety can be fun! It made bedtime more manageable too and created lovely family memories.

So, embrace those special moments and share them proudly, because another mama's "a-ha!" moment might just stem from your shared experience!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu