• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

What are those oh so valuable parenting shortcuts you wish you'd known sooner?

Messy play is such a fun idea, especially during sensory development! Library visits are also a great, calming outing option - story time is lots of fun too and a lovely bonding experience 🙂

These are great tips! I'm all about minimizing cleanup, so messy play is a huge win in my books -- especially taking it outdoors when weather permits! Also love the library idea for some calm time and a change of scenery - plus free books and resources! 😍 It's nice to have a collection of simple, low prep activities up our sleeves!

So true! Messy play is such a great way to let kids explore while saving sanity for parents! Outdoor mess is the best kind, isn't it?! The library is one of my go-to places when I need a bit of help keeping the peace too - it's amazing what calm can be found amongst the books 😁 Low prep activities are definitely parenting superheroes in disguise!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
So true! Messy play is such a great way to let kids explore while saving sanity for parents! Outdoor mess is the best kind, isn't it?! The library is one of my go-to places when I need a bit of help keeping the peace too - it's amazing what calm can be found amongst the books 😁 Low prep activities are definitely parenting superheroes in disguise!
Parenting hacks like these, especially the low-prep ones, are like discovering hidden treasures! You've probably had lots of practice coming up with these little workarounds and I'm sure fellow parents would benefit from hearing them!

Are there any other little shortcuts or simple solutions that have made a big impact for you? Those little discoveries can make a parent's world so much easier!

Some great and simple ones are:

- The 'two minute' rule - if a toddler mess (eg. spilled milk) will take less than two minutes to clear up, just do it straight away! Don't waste time getting cross, just get it done.

- Having an outdoor bin...on a similar note, for when the kids have finished their juice/snack pouches, rip them open and empty any leftover contents into the outside bin. Then you can rinse them out quickly and pop them in the recycle without fear of sticky build up or nasty surprises weeks later!

- A 'my first xx' themed box - seems obvious but having a special box for those keepsake moments helps so much! You're always going to get a million little things you want to hold onto, and having somewhere to pop them straight away means they won't get lost and are easy to store. I've also popped spare bags in there for each milestone (eg a bag for the first lock of hair etc) so when people visit and want to gift something special, it's easy!

- For older kids: Write messages on their arm with impermanent marker - great for long days out or if they are prone to forgetting things. 'Find mum/dad at the X' or 'remember your swimming kit' etc - it washes off easily but is a helpful reminder and often prompts a laugh!

Some great ideas!

I'd add 'keep a small toy/book stash hidden away for emergencies'. That quiet down time when you need five minutes to finish a task - pull out a new (to them) toy or book and it's a lovely surprise that buys you some time.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu