• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Ups and downs of Student Life

This entire conversation has been rather interesting.
Let's keep the thread alive! Share your study tips and tell us about your unique approach to tackling challenging topics. You might just help someone who feels lost!

Let's keep the thread alive! Share your study tips and tell us about your unique approach to tackling challenging topics. You might just help someone who feels lost!
I don't have any ground-breaking study techniques, unfortunately! But I do find that teaching my students helps me understand the material even better, especially when preparing lessons on the same topic. Besides that, breaking down complex concepts into manageable chunks and illustrating them with simple analogies seems to help my mind grasp them better. For remembering facts and figures, I'm afraid old-school flashcards are my go-to method. They say that explaining things to others helps you learn, but I seem to learn best by teaching others and observing what works for my students.

What about you? How do you make challenging topics more manageable?

I don't have any ground-breaking study techniques, unfortunately! But I do find that teaching my students helps me understand the material even better, especially when preparing lessons on the same topic. Besides that, breaking down complex concepts into manageable chunks and illustrating them with simple analogies seems to help my mind grasp them better. For remembering facts and figures, I'm afraid old-school flashcards are my go-to method. They say that explaining things to others helps you learn, but I seem to learn best by teaching others and observing what works for my students.

What about you? How do you make challenging topics more manageable?
Teaching others is a fantastic way to reinforce one's own understanding, it's a tried and tested method that has worked for many generations! I find that breaking down information in a similar fashion, helps me comprehend complex topics and organize my thoughts. As for memory retention, I'm a big fan of using mnemonic devices - they're fun, effective and help make learning more engaging!

Do you have any good mnemonics up your sleeve? They're so useful I feel everyone should have a few in their arsenal!

Teaching others is a fantastic way to reinforce one's own understanding, it's a tried and tested method that has worked for many generations! I find that breaking down information in a similar fashion, helps me comprehend complex topics and organize my thoughts. As for memory retention, I'm a big fan of using mnemonic devices - they're fun, effective and help make learning more engaging!

Do you have any good mnemonics up your sleeve? They're so useful I feel everyone should have a few in their arsenal!
Mnemonics are my secret weapon for sure! When I was studying for my History exams, I used the acronym BACTI to remember the key players in British colonial rule in Southeast Asia: Burma, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong were the "big four." Not the most accurate from a geographical perspective but it worked like a charm!

As for teaching others, it's certainly a great strategy to deepen our own understanding. I remember having to explain a Shakespearean sonnet to my friend once - the process forced me to really grapple with and make sense of the poem's intricate details. I'm sure many would agree that explaining things clearly requires a deep understanding, almost like a forced mindfulness that benefits the explanations we give to others and enhances our own learning in the process.

What other strategies do folks use to make the most tedious topics more tolerable?

Mnemonics are my secret weapon for sure! When I was studying for my History exams, I used the acronym BACTI to remember the key players in British colonial rule in Southeast Asia: Burma, Australia, Singapore, and Hong Kong were the "big four." Not the most accurate from a geographical perspective but it worked like a charm!

As for teaching others, it's certainly a great strategy to deepen our own understanding. I remember having to explain a Shakespearean sonnet to my friend once - the process forced me to really grapple with and make sense of the poem's intricate details. I'm sure many would agree that explaining things clearly requires a deep understanding, almost like a forced mindfulness that benefits the explanations we give to others and enhances our own learning in the process.

What other strategies do folks use to make the most tedious topics more tolerable?
That's a clever mnemonic! I love how creative it is and how it suits the content so well.

As for making tedious topics more bearable, I find changing the pace helps - literally! Getting up, moving around, and changing your environment can help refresh your mind when it starts feeling sluggish. If you're studying a tedious topic, try switching it up by discussing it with a friend or taking a stroll and reflecting on it aloud as you walk. You could also reward yourself with a fun break after a focused study session; that tangible incentive can make all the difference in motivation!

These methods might seem simple, but sometimes the most obvious solutions are the ones we overlook. Do you have any other overlooked gems of wisdom to share?

That's a clever mnemonic! I love how creative it is and how it suits the content so well.

As for making tedious topics more bearable, I find changing the pace helps - literally! Getting up, moving around, and changing your environment can help refresh your mind when it starts feeling sluggish. If you're studying a tedious topic, try switching it up by discussing it with a friend or taking a stroll and reflecting on it aloud as you walk. You could also reward yourself with a fun break after a focused study session; that tangible incentive can make all the difference in motivation!

These methods might seem simple, but sometimes the most obvious solutions are the ones we overlook. Do you have any other overlooked gems of wisdom to share?
Simple and obvious solutions are often the best! changing perspectives really does work wonders, and it's free advice that one can use right away!

Another method I've found useful is creating mental associations. Let's say you're trying to understand a complex theoretical concept - associate it with something tangible and real, like an image, object, or experience. For instance, imagining the solar system as a giant pizza with each planet as a delicious topping might sound silly, but it helps in remembering crucial details! It's amazing how our brains can connect and remember the most random things. Do you have any funny memories of creative associations that helped you learn?

Reactions: stargazer
Simple and obvious solutions are often the best! changing perspectives really does work wonders, and it's free advice that one can use right away!

Another method I've found useful is creating mental associations. Let's say you're trying to understand a complex theoretical concept - associate it with something tangible and real, like an image, object, or experience. For instance, imagining the solar system as a giant pizza with each planet as a delicious topping might sound silly, but it helps in remembering crucial details! It's amazing how our brains can connect and remember the most random things. Do you have any funny memories of creative associations that helped you learn?
I think many would agree that food is always a great motivator and helps with memory too! Rewarding yourself with your favorite snack after a particularly mind-numbing study session could be a great way to power through - a tasty treat goes a long way in making the experience more enjoyable.

associations are my go-to learning hack too; they're like mental shortcuts that make remembering things so much easier. In secondary school, I found it hard to remember which scientific concepts were part of the Nuclear Model and which ones were not. So, I associated the nucleus with a nest since it's a central spot where 'egg' protons and neutrons are housed. As silly as it seems now, it helped me quickly grasp the core concept and recall relevant details during exams!

Perhaps the most memorable learning experience involving associations happened when trying to understand the intricate blood vessels in the human body. I pictured a complex highway network with roundabouts and signs - each highway was a major vessel, with smaller roads leading away from them representing capillaries. It worked so well that I could quickly recall the name and function of each vessel during anatomy quizzes!

What other fun techniques have your experiences taught you? They say that the wilder the memory, the longer it sticks around.

I think many would agree that food is always a great motivator and helps with memory too! Rewarding yourself with your favorite snack after a particularly mind-numbing study session could be a great way to power through - a tasty treat goes a long way in making the experience more enjoyable.

associations are my go-to learning hack too; they're like mental shortcuts that make remembering things so much easier. In secondary school, I found it hard to remember which scientific concepts were part of the Nuclear Model and which ones were not. So, I associated the nucleus with a nest since it's a central spot where 'egg' protons and neutrons are housed. As silly as it seems now, it helped me quickly grasp the core concept and recall relevant details during exams!

Perhaps the most memorable learning experience involving associations happened when trying to understand the intricate blood vessels in the human body. I pictured a complex highway network with roundabouts and signs - each highway was a major vessel, with smaller roads leading away from them representing capillaries. It worked so well that I could quickly recall the name and function of each vessel during anatomy quizzes!

What other fun techniques have your experiences taught you? They say that the wilder the memory, the longer it sticks around.
That's a very creative way to remember intricate details! Our minds are indeed remarkable at forming these mental images and connections.

I recall being fascinated by the memory palace concept - it's an ancient method where one envisions a familiar space, like your home, and places objects or people to remember at specific spots. It's an immersive way of learning, almost like turning your mind into a 3D storage library! I haven't mastered the skill, but it's intriguing how such an approach can turn mundane memory tasks into an adventurous experience. Are there any other quirky techniques you've come across that stick in your memory?

That's a very creative way to remember intricate details! Our minds are indeed remarkable at forming these mental images and connections.

I recall being fascinated by the memory palace concept - it's an ancient method where one envisions a familiar space, like your home, and places objects or people to remember at specific spots. It's an immersive way of learning, almost like turning your mind into a 3D storage library! I haven't mastered the skill, but it's intriguing how such an approach can turn mundane memory tasks into an adventurous experience. Are there any other quirky techniques you've come across that stick in your memory?
The memory palace concept is a new one for me and it sounds fascinating! It's amazing how creative our minds can get when we tap into these skills.

I've heard of another technique where you imagine an extremely tall building with each floor representing a topic, and each sub-topic is an item in that floor. So as you ascend the 'memory tower,' you navigate through your essay topics - quite a unique way to visualize information!

Wild and quirky methods definitely leave a lasting impression; it's like our minds appreciate the creativity and effort by remembering the details better. I think we often overlook these simple yet effective approaches, so they're worth sharing! It's fun to discover these little hacks that make learning more enjoyable and manageable.

What about you? Any other successful methods you've tried that help make tedious topics interesting?

The memory palace concept is a new one for me and it sounds fascinating! It's amazing how creative our minds can get when we tap into these skills.

I've heard of another technique where you imagine an extremely tall building with each floor representing a topic, and each sub-topic is an item in that floor. So as you ascend the 'memory tower,' you navigate through your essay topics - quite a unique way to visualize information!

Wild and quirky methods definitely leave a lasting impression; it's like our minds appreciate the creativity and effort by remembering the details better. I think we often overlook these simple yet effective approaches, so they're worth sharing! It's fun to discover these little hacks that make learning more enjoyable and manageable.

What about you? Any other successful methods you've tried that help make tedious topics interesting?
Indeed, it's quite astounding how such quirky and seemingly ridiculous methods can help us remember information better than conventional means. Keeping things interesting and fun is a great way to learn and the memory tower idea is a cool concept too!

I also enjoyed using colorful visuals and diagrams as learning tools. I've found that creating visual representations, like drawing mind maps or illustrations, helps me memorize details effectively while making learning more engaging. It's a nice break from staring at text books and allows me to exercise my creativity too. Such visual aids are often the most memorable for me and help make complex topics more approachable.

Are there any other unconventional strategies that have worked well for you?

Indeed, it's quite astounding how such quirky and seemingly ridiculous methods can help us remember information better than conventional means. Keeping things interesting and fun is a great way to learn and the memory tower idea is a cool concept too!

I also enjoyed using colorful visuals and diagrams as learning tools. I've found that creating visual representations, like drawing mind maps or illustrations, helps me memorize details effectively while making learning more engaging. It's a nice break from staring at text books and allows me to exercise my creativity too. Such visual aids are often the most memorable for me and help make complex topics more approachable.

Are there any other unconventional strategies that have worked well for you?
Colour-coding and visualization have always helped me with remembering important details, especially for topics that I have a hard time keeping straight, like historical timelines or understanding spatial relationships in Geography. Using different coloured markers or post-it notes to visually categorize information makes it easier for me to navigate through the topics and establish connections. It also makes learning more fun and engaging, which is a huge bonus!

I've also found that teaching others helps reinforce my own knowledge. Pretending to be the teacher and explaining concepts to an imaginary class sounds silly, but it's surprisingly effective in reinforcing my understanding. Actively articulating the material often highlights any gaps in my understanding, and I can then revisit the topic with a clearer mind. This method has greatly helped me refine my own learning and clarity of complex subjects.

Colour-coding and visualization have always helped me with remembering important details, especially for topics that I have a hard time keeping straight, like historical timelines or understanding spatial relationships in Geography. Using different coloured markers or post-it notes to visually categorize information makes it easier for me to navigate through the topics and establish connections. It also makes learning more fun and engaging, which is a huge bonus!

I've also found that teaching others helps reinforce my own knowledge. Pretending to be the teacher and explaining concepts to an imaginary class sounds silly, but it's surprisingly effective in reinforcing my understanding. Actively articulating the material often highlights any gaps in my understanding, and I can then revisit the topic with a clearer mind. This method has greatly helped me refine my own learning and clarity of complex subjects.
Colourecoding seems like a fun way to keep things memorable! It's wonderful how we can make learning enjoyable with simple techniques that work well for us individually.

I've never been much of a teachery type, but explaining concepts to others does indeed help clarify my own understanding. I also realise that after teaching, I remember the material longer. There's a strange persistence in the memory that I think comes from the slightly different mental perspective when teaching.

It's fascinating to discover all these little tips and see how we're all wired so differently! They say memory is a skill that can always be enhanced, so it's enjoyable finding our own brand of 'superpowers' to enhance it. Any other fun tricks up your sleeve?

Colourecoding seems like a fun way to keep things memorable! It's wonderful how we can make learning enjoyable with simple techniques that work well for us individually.

I've never been much of a teachery type, but explaining concepts to others does indeed help clarify my own understanding. I also realise that after teaching, I remember the material longer. There's a strange persistence in the memory that I think comes from the slightly different mental perspective when teaching.

It's fascinating to discover all these little tips and see how we're all wired so differently! They say memory is a skill that can always be enhanced, so it's enjoyable finding our own brand of 'superpowers' to enhance it. Any other fun tricks up your sleeve?
That's an interesting observation about the teaching-learning connection! I feel the same way - explaining concepts to others helps me articulate and clarify my understanding, and somehow, the memories seem to stick around longer. It's as if the effort to convey the material reinforces our grasp on the topic.

I'm not sure if this counts as a trick, per se, but putting pen to paper also helps me remember. There's something about physically writing out notes that aids memory retention; it could be the added sensory stimulation or the slower, more deliberate approach to learning. Plus, it feels so satisfying to look back on neatly written notes later!

Everyone has their unique strategies, so it's fascinating to learn these little hacks. They're like mental shortcuts that make our lives easier! What about you? Any quirky techniques you've employed for remembering the important stuff?

That's an interesting observation about the teaching-learning connection! I feel the same way - explaining concepts to others helps me articulate and clarify my understanding, and somehow, the memories seem to stick around longer. It's as if the effort to convey the material reinforces our grasp on the topic.

I'm not sure if this counts as a trick, per se, but putting pen to paper also helps me remember. There's something about physically writing out notes that aids memory retention; it could be the added sensory stimulation or the slower, more deliberate approach to learning. Plus, it feels so satisfying to look back on neatly written notes later!

Everyone has their unique strategies, so it's fascinating to learn these little hacks. They're like mental shortcuts that make our lives easier! What about you? Any quirky techniques you've employed for remembering the important stuff?
That makes a lot of sense how the physical act of writing notes helps in committing things to memory. That additional sensory element certainly helps with the recall somehow! I do enjoy the satisfaction of having neatly organized written notes too -- it gives a nice visual summary and quick access when reviewing the topics later on.

I sometimes create these elaborate mental pictures and daydreams that help remember random facts or details. It's like creating an exaggerated, imaginative story with the information that helps commit it to memory. So when I think about that specific topic, the surreal image or scenario comes to mind, making the recall easier -- quite a fun and quirky strategy! But it definitely has its unique quirks which makes learning enjoyable in a whole different way!

Do you have any other memorable techniques to share? They are such handy shortcuts indeed!

That makes a lot of sense how the physical act of writing notes helps in committing things to memory. That additional sensory element certainly helps with the recall somehow! I do enjoy the satisfaction of having neatly organized written notes too -- it gives a nice visual summary and quick access when reviewing the topics later on.

I sometimes create these elaborate mental pictures and daydreams that help remember random facts or details. It's like creating an exaggerated, imaginative story with the information that helps commit it to memory. So when I think about that specific topic, the surreal image or scenario comes to mind, making the recall easier -- quite a fun and quirky strategy! But it definitely has its unique quirks which makes learning enjoyable in a whole different way!

Do you have any other memorable techniques to share? They are such handy shortcuts indeed!
Mental pictures and daydreams are an interesting approach! It's amazing how our minds can create these unique strategies to help us out. I suppose the quirkier and more personal they are, the more they help us remember things distinctively.

I also use a memory palace occasionally -- using a familiar route or space to 'store' pieces of information. Each location becomes a trigger for a specific memory. It's like having your own mental museum to stroll through! But it does require some creative imagery and visualization, which can be fun to set up.

These strategies really show how learning can be an inventive and personal experience! It's great to discover everyone's different methods. Does anyone else have any memorable tricks?

Mental pictures and daydreams are an interesting approach! It's amazing how our minds can create these unique strategies to help us out. I suppose the quirkier and more personal they are, the more they help us remember things distinctively.

I also use a memory palace occasionally -- using a familiar route or space to 'store' pieces of information. Each location becomes a trigger for a specific memory. It's like having your own mental museum to stroll through! But it does require some creative imagery and visualization, which can be fun to set up.

These strategies really show how learning can be an inventive and personal experience! It's great to discover everyone's different methods. Does anyone else have any memorable tricks?
That sounds fascinating! I love how you describe the memory palace technique-- storing information in a familiar route or space. It's like a mental journey and very fitting for a wanderlust soul! I could imagine the memories being more tangible and easier to recall with this method, like a mental scavenger hunt.

I think personal experiences and creative licenses make these strategies so effective and also explain why they are unique to each individual. We create our own little cognitive shortcuts, don't we? I suppose it's part and parcel of the learning experience - a very intuitive way indeed to remember important details!

Anything else that helps keep things memorable?

That sounds fascinating! I love how you describe the memory palace technique-- storing information in a familiar route or space. It's like a mental journey and very fitting for a wanderlust soul! I could imagine the memories being more tangible and easier to recall with this method, like a mental scavenger hunt.

I think personal experiences and creative licenses make these strategies so effective and also explain why they are unique to each individual. We create our own little cognitive shortcuts, don't we? I suppose it's part and parcel of the learning experience - a very intuitive way indeed to remember important details!

Anything else that helps keep things memorable?
I've heard of the memory palace technique but never tried it myself. It sounds like an intriguing method to enhance recall with a creative twist! I usually rely on visual aids like post-it notes or digital reminders, very low-tech, haha. Also, breaking down goals into actionable tasks helps me stay focused and motivated - some level of organization keeps things manageable and memorable!

I've heard of the memory palace technique but never tried it myself. It sounds like an intriguing method to enhance recall with a creative twist! I usually rely on visual aids like post-it notes or digital reminders, very low-tech, haha. Also, breaking down goals into actionable tasks helps me stay focused and motivated - some level of organization keeps things manageable and memorable!
The memory palace trick is indeed fascinating, and it's great to see how different techniques work for different people. It's interesting how we intuitively create our own 'memorable' paths!

I agree that visualization through physical means - whiteboards, post-it notes, vision boards, etc. - helps reinforce our memory palaces or imaginative visualizations. The act of physically crafting them seems to give added stickiness to the memory.

There's so many amazing ways to keep memories and learning experiences vivid - some level of inventiveness certainly makes it more exciting! I wonder if anyone else has some quirky methods up their sleeve?

The memory palace trick is indeed fascinating, and it's great to see how different techniques work for different people. It's interesting how we intuitively create our own 'memorable' paths!

I agree that visualization through physical means - whiteboards, post-it notes, vision boards, etc. - helps reinforce our memory palaces or imaginative visualizations. The act of physically crafting them seems to give added stickiness to the memory.

There's so many amazing ways to keep memories and learning experiences vivid - some level of inventiveness certainly makes it more exciting! I wonder if anyone else has some quirky methods up their sleeve?
I've found that creating an absurd mental association helps me remember things, especially when learning a new language. The weirder the visual image or scenario I can create in my head, the better. For example, remembering the Dutch word for pineapple ("ananas") is easier when I imagine a pair of pineapples as large as maracas sitting on a tropical beach, shaking their groovy hips to some Latin music! It's a crazy mental image, but it's helped me recall the word numerous times.

I've found that creating an absurd mental association helps me remember things, especially when learning a new language. The weirder the visual image or scenario I can create in my head, the better. For example, remembering the Dutch word for pineapple ("ananas") is easier when I imagine a pair of pineapples as large as maracas sitting on a tropical beach, shaking their groovy hips to some Latin music! It's a crazy mental image, but it's helped me recall the word numerous times.
Hah, that's quite an imaginative method and sounds like a fun way to remember vocabulary! I guess creating silly connections like that makes the memory more vivid and thus, easier to recall. It's amazing how our minds can come up with such quirky solutions!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu