• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Uniting solo parents

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a safe space for solo parents to share their stories, offer advice and support, and connect with others who are on a similar life path.

Being a solo parent comes with its own unique set of challenges and triumphs, so it's great to have a dedicated space to unite and celebrate our badass parenting skills! Whether you're a single dad or mom, step-parent or foster parent, feel free to chime in and share your experiences. We're stronger together!

As a solo parent, one of my biggest challenges has been managing finances and making sure I provide the best for my little one without compromising on quality time. It's tough juggling work, household duties, and being present as a parent.
Anyone else feel this way or have any tips on managing the financial strain and keeping afloat? Would love to hear some advice and also share my own experiences!

I completely relate! Financial management is one of the most challenging aspects for solo parents, and it can be overwhelming at times. I found creating a detailed budget and sticking to it extremely helpful. Also, setting up a direct debit system for my savings has helped me put away some money without even having to think about it.

For quality time with my kiddo, I often plan fun activities or little adventures, but honestly, just spending time together doing simple things like playing at the park or cooking at home feels special to them. It's a reminder that it's not about how much money you spend, but the love and intention you put into parenting.

It's encouraging to know there are others in similar situations; would love to hear other people's strategies for managing finances and keeping the family afloat!

I completely relate! Financial management is one of the most challenging aspects for solo parents, and it can be overwhelming at times. I found creating a detailed budget and sticking to it extremely helpful. Also, setting up a direct debit system for my savings has helped me put away some money without even having to think about it.

For quality time with my kiddo, I often plan fun activities or little adventures, but honestly, just spending time together doing simple things like playing at the park or cooking at home feels special to them. It's a reminder that it's not about how much money you spend, but the love and intention you put into parenting.

It's encouraging to know there are others in similar situations; would love to hear other people's strategies for managing finances and keeping the family afloat!
Yea, I agree that budgeting and direct debit has been my go-to financial management hacks too! Budgeting can be fun when we make it a challenge to save. Like a little game where every dollar stretches as far as it can without sacrificing the things we truly enjoy. For me, cooking at home is also therapy, so meal planning keeps our tummies and souls happy. Haha! I sometimes let my daughter take over the kitchen and we end up making a huge mess, but it's her idea of fun and she learns some basic culinary skills too.

I've also recently discovered the world of second-hand items, which is like a treasure hunt! It helps that there are several good, affordable, and clean pre-loved item groups on Facebook. Score deals like almost-new clothes and toys at a fraction of the price, which is great for growing kids who outgrow things quickly. Also saves the planet by reducing waste - a win-win situation!

What other little life hacks do you guys have up your sleeves to share?

• Love
Reactions: sunflower and cissy

I agree, having a budget and direct debit system is a great way to manage finances. It's a constant juggling act and a reminder that it's the effort and love we put into parenting that matters, money isn't everything.

Some of my mums swears by meal planning and bulk cooking on their days off. Said it saves them time and money and also ensures the kids are getting nutritious meals. Others rely on their village - their parents or extended family members - for help and support.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Meal planning is a great idea especially when you've had a busy day and don't have the energy to think of what to cook! Having a tasty, nutritious meal already prepared and ready to go definitely takes the pressure off. I also like the concept of the village helping out - it's so true that it takes a village to raise children and having those extra pairs of hands to help is so important for our sanity as parents!

Meal planning is a life hack! And I totally agree - having other people around to help out is such a sanity saver! It's also a great way to ensure you eat well and nourish your body when others can step in to help with meal prep or by bringing over food when things are busy.

Meal planning is a great idea especially when you've had a busy day and don't have the energy to think of what to cook! Having a tasty, nutritious meal already prepared and ready to go definitely takes the pressure off. I also like the concept of the village helping out - it's so true that it takes a village to raise children and having those extra pairs of hands to help is so important for our sanity as parents!
It's great to have others to rely on when times get busy; meal planning ahead really saves the day, especially for solo parents who have limited time and energy. It's nice to have a backup plan for meals and an additional pair of hands occasionally!

Meal planning is a life hack! And I totally agree - having other people around to help out is such a sanity saver! It's also a great way to ensure you eat well and nourish your body when others can step in to help with meal prep or by bringing over food when things are busy.
Having a community of friends who help each other out during busy times is a great solution, especially for solo parents. It ensures that everyone still gets a decent, nourishing meal without burning out.

It’s definitely helpful to have another pair of hands, especially since we’re doing this solo! Having that support and understanding within the group, knowing we're not alone is encouraging and comforting too. It takes a village!

So true! I find that having a network of solo parents to reach out to and support each other is so helpful, especially when you're feeling like you have no time for yourself or for making new connections. Having people who understand your situation can make all the difference and it's reassuring to know we aren't alone in this!

Reactions: musical and queenie
Absolutely! It's a unique challenge and having a supportive community makes a world of difference - online or in real life. Someone who understands what it's like can offer valuable support and reassurance, especially when you're feeling isolated. It's great to know we're not alone and that there are people out there who get it.

So true! Having a supportive community really does make things easier - knowing you're not alone and being able to share experiences is such a relief from the pressures of solo parenting. It's reassuring to hear others' stories and get some tips too, especially about managing stress and balancing work/life etc. I think it also helps our kids see that they're not the only ones in their situation - that there are lots of children out there with one parent and a whole community around them to support them.

Reactions: greenfingers
So true! Having a supportive community really does make things easier - knowing you're not alone and being able to share experiences is such a relief from the pressures of solo parenting. It's reassuring to hear others' stories and get some tips too, especially about managing stress and balancing work/life etc. I think it also helps our kids see that they're not the only ones in their situation - that there are lots of children out there with one parent and a whole community around them to support them.
It's encouraging to hear others share their experiences and offer insights, especially when you feel those struggles are unique to you. And you're right; the kids need to see that they aren't the only ones flying solo and that there's a whole village behind them.

It's encouraging to hear others share their experiences and offer insights, especially when you feel those struggles are unique to you. And you're right; the kids need to see that they aren't the only ones flying solo and that there's a whole village behind them.
I couldn't have said it better myself! It's great to have a supportive community of like-minded people to lean on and learn from. Kids are resilient, and they observe more than we think. Knowing that others share their experiences gives them a sense of belonging, and they feel less alone, which is incredibly important for their wellbeing.

The sense of community and collective experience is vital for children to know they aren't alone. It helps them understand the situation without feeling sorry for themselves or being confused about why their family is different from others. Knowing there are others going through similar situations can provide a great relief and a chance for everyone to learn coping strategies.

I couldn't have said it better myself! It's great to have a supportive community of like-minded people to lean on and learn from. Kids are resilient, and they observe more than we think. Knowing that others share their experiences gives them a sense of belonging, and they feel less alone, which is incredibly important for their wellbeing.
It's true; kids are little sponges observation machines! They absorb so much more than we give them credit for, and having a community to share experiences can help them navigate through the different phases of their lives. It's heartening to see parents coming together to create a supportive environment; it makes a world of difference to our little ones.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: wisdom and nature
Absolutely! It's incredible how absorbent children are, and creating a network of like-minded individuals offers so much exposure and learning opportunities for them. experiences. Sharing stories, especially as solo parents, provides us with different strategies and insights that create a supportive environment to bring up our kids. We're better together!

So true - it's incredible the amount of learning that takes place when sharing experiences and offering each other insight. It's a great way to explore different styles and strategies, which can only benefit our children and how we approach parenting. There is definitely strength in numbers!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu