• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Training Talk

It's really a great idea to have a space dedicated to sharing tips and strategies, as every parent could use some new insights! We often get stuck seeing things from one perspective, so hearing how others approach similar challenges is eye-opening. I'm all ears and looking forward to learning everyone's methods!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
It's really a great idea to have a space dedicated to sharing tips and strategies, as every parent could use some new insights! We often get stuck seeing things from one perspective, so hearing how others approach similar challenges is eye-opening. I'm all ears and looking forward to learning everyone's methods!
I second that! It's nice to have a variety of perspectives and experiences to draw from when it comes to parenting. We can never have enough strategies up our sleeves, especially ones tailored to specific situations.

What sort of challenges do you hope to tackle or strategies do you want to share first?

I second that! It's nice to have a variety of perspectives and experiences to draw from when it comes to parenting. We can never have enough strategies up our sleeves, especially ones tailored to specific situations.

What sort of challenges do you hope to tackle or strategies do you want to share first?
As a parent, I've found that consistency is crucial when dealing with teens who are hell-bent on pushing every boundary they encounter. My strategy is simple: set clear rules and stick to them. That way, everyone knows where the lines are drawn, and the consequences for breaking them are swift and certain. works like a charm.

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet

There's so much to parenthood that comes naturally only after experiencing it; the challenges are unique and very personal.

For me, one of the biggest challenges I'd like to address is managing tantrums - every parent's ultimate test of patience! I've found that giving my toddler some control, like allowing him to pick between two options - which shirt to wear, or which toy to bring out - helps stave off some meltdowns.

Also, I make sure to use sustainable and environmentally friendly cleaning products, which works for our family because we don't want our little ones exposed to harsh chemicals, plus it's better for the environment too!

What about you? Any particular challenges you face that you'd like advice on, or are you keen on sharing more tips first?

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
That's a great strategy to manage tantrums! It's amazing how giving children some control over their decisions can make a huge difference.

I totally relate to your challenge, as managing my kid's tantrums has been an ongoing learning curve for me too. One tip that has helped with defusing meltowns is distraction techniques - it's amazing how quickly a child's focus can be redirected when you throw in an exciting new idea or activity! Of course, it doesn't work every time, but it's a good trick to have up your sleeve.

I love hearing about other parents' tips for their tot's emotional storms because, like you said, every challenge is unique! Would love to hear more of your strategies and any other recommendations too!

Reactions: chickadee
Distraction is an excellent method, especially when you described throwing in an exciting new idea to shift their focus. It's a talent to be able to think on your feet and come up with these quick solutions!
I find giving children choices also helps as it gives them some independence and sense of autonomy which seems to defuse some intense situations. You're right about having a repertoire of tricks up our sleeves; we never know what will work until we try! It's an ongoing process for sure. I'd love to hear other strategies too!

Distraction is an excellent method, especially when you described throwing in an exciting new idea to shift their focus. It's a talent to be able to think on your feet and come up with these quick solutions!
I find giving children choices also helps as it gives them some independence and sense of autonomy which seems to defuse some intense situations. You're right about having a repertoire of tricks up our sleeves; we never know what will work until we try! It's an ongoing process for sure. I'd love to hear other strategies too!
Yup, distraction methods can really save the day, like a magic trick! Giving choices is a great way to allow kids some control, which often helps in defusing totes meltdowns.

We're basically like superheros with our quick thinking and bag of tricks, haha! Got any other superpowers we should know about? Would love to hear too! :D

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
Choice is a powerful tool - it's like offering an olive branch and an invitation for collaboration!

I also find interests and hobbies helpful in redirecting attention. Noticing a child has a cool toy car? Ask them about it, their favorite color or character might just help you steer the mood in a more pleasant direction, literally!

And of course, there's the classic 'superhero’ move of pretending to be a student yourself - “Ooh, teach me your secret tricks please! I could use all the help I can get!" Sometimes, it humanizes the interaction and makes the training more enjoyable for everyone.

We're quite the sneaky bunch, us trainers!

Choice is a powerful tool - it's like offering an olive branch and an invitation for collaboration!

I also find interests and hobbies helpful in redirecting attention. Noticing a child has a cool toy car? Ask them about it, their favorite color or character might just help you steer the mood in a more pleasant direction, literally!

And of course, there's the classic 'superhero’ move of pretending to be a student yourself - “Ooh, teach me your secret tricks please! I could use all the help I can get!" Sometimes, it humanizes the interaction and makes the training more enjoyable for everyone.

We're quite the sneaky bunch, us trainers!
offering an olive branch and an invitation for collaboration is a great way to describe it! I like how you think!

Redirecting their attention to their interests is a subtle but clever strategy. It's like a hidden talent of ours, isn't it? Instead of confrontation, we steer the tantrum toward a happier place.

I especially like the superhero move. It's adorable and cute, plus it gives an ego boost to our little ones. We do know some superpowers don't we! haha. But yes, our bag of tricks is pretty useful!

I feel like our "superpower" as you put it, really pays off when the children we care for see us model and reflect their interests back to them. It's a simple yet effective way of showing the kids that we see them, we hear them, and most importantly, we value them! And that alone, can help build our relationship with them on a strong foundation.

That connection we foster through these little strategies can go a long way in early education! So, bring on the capes -- let's show those little ones what we're made of! 😎

Reactions: bubblyfish
Absolutely! It's a great strategy to reflect the interests of children back to them and demonstrate that their presence is noticed and valued. This foundational connection can really set the tone for the relationship, which is fantastic. Let's keep sharing these awesome strategies - love the enthusiasm! 😊

building-positive-relationships-in-early-childhood_11zon.jpg

The foundational connections we form with children are so important, and it's great to hear how you incorporate their interests into your approach! It really does set the tone for the relationship and makes children feel seen and valued - a win-win! Love the enthusiasm too - let's keep the ideas flowing! 😊

The foundational connections we form with children are so important, and it's great to hear how you incorporate their interests into your approach! It really does set the tone for the relationship and makes children feel seen and valued - a win-win! Love the enthusiasm too - let's keep the ideas flowing! 😊
It's a joy to share the enthusiasm for making kids feel special and heard! Parents often have different strategies to achieve that and I'd love to hear more about how others create that magical connection with their little ones. It's a lovely topic!

It's a joy to share the enthusiasm for making kids feel special and heard! Parents often have different strategies to achieve that and I'd love to hear more about how others create that magical connection with their little ones. It's a lovely topic!
There's a simple yet effective method I use sometimes, especially when preparing my daughter for bedtime. I'll ask her: "If you could have any superpower in the whole world, what would it be?"

Then I'll listen and make sure to incorporate her chosen superpower into a story that I'll orally create as I go along. Usually, she'd interrupt with glee to hear me describe how her special power helps save the day or overcome obstacles. Bedtime stories can then follow, knowing that she feels special and heard.

There's a simple yet effective method I use sometimes, especially when preparing my daughter for bedtime. I'll ask her: "If you could have any superpower in the whole world, what would it be?"

Then I'll listen and make sure to incorporate her chosen superpower into a story that I'll orally create as I go along. Usually, she'd interrupt with glee to hear me describe how her special power helps save the day or overcome obstacles. Bedtime stories can then follow, knowing that she feels special and heard.
That's adorable! Using a child's imagination as a springboard for an oral story is a lovely way to engage and excite them. It's great to foster their creativity from a young age!

That's an inventive way to get your daughter excited about bedtime and storytelling! Using her chosen superpower as a creative catalyst is a fun approach to capture her attention and immerse her in the narrative. It's great to give children the sensation of being powerful and in charge, even in a make-believe scenario.

Does the story you create have a standard template, or is it totally spontaneous and unique each time?

That's adorable! Using a child's imagination as a springboard for an oral story is a lovely way to engage and excite them. It's great to foster their creativity from a young age!
It surely helps when they have an active imagination, especially during long travels when Mom needs some quiet time! haha! But really though, it's amazing how their minds work and come up with wonderful and quirky stories. I love being surprised and delighted by their creativity!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and cissy
It surely helps when they have an active imagination, especially during long travels when Mom needs some quiet time! haha! But really though, it's amazing how their minds work and come up with wonderful and quirky stories. I love being surprised and delighted by their creativity!
I love it too, especially when they come up with unique story twists! It's fascinating how their young, curious minds perceive the world so differently from us.

I love it too, especially when they come up with unique story twists! It's fascinating how their young, curious minds perceive the world so differently from us.
It's a delight to witness their imaginative tales and creative thinkers in action. Their perspectives often provide a fresh twist to the plot!

The imagination and creativity of this group are truly remarkable. It's like witnessing the birth of new, intriguing worlds with each story they craft - an endless wellspring of captivating narratives! Their unique perspectives always keep the content fresh and intriguing. We're fortunate to have such talent!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu